Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3061682 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6220 on: November 14, 2016, 09:27:46 am »

2011 Sport...best model.  No problems with the trans since it's not the Ford/GM cross the 3.0's have (2010 & up IIRC) - Firm you should be fine with the older one, I believe the tranny is different in it and not known to be an issue.  Don't know if it's like Porsche's IMF where it's well known, but maybe more overstated than actual, or not.

See...sexy car... :o ;D :lick: :love:

Good looking car.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6221 on: November 14, 2016, 09:32:06 am »
^ Your right BWII, the 6 speed used in the 3.5L engine is the better 6 speed transmission (instead of the Ford/GM one used in on 3L version).  It's used in so many cars (developed by Aisin).  It's curious that Mazda decided to pair that transmission to the 3.0L duratec engine in the Mazda6.  Meanwhile the Fusion had 2 different V6 engines, with 2 different 6 speed transmission, pretty weird.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6222 on: November 14, 2016, 09:56:09 am »
Fusion hit the 150,000 km mark...and never been in the shop for anything major yet.  Poor man's Audi without the maintenance costs.  ;D  Still love the thing...looks sweet and goes adequately. 
Will put the winter tires on this Wed (snow in the forecast for end of the week  :'()
what year again ?

2011 Sport...best model.  No problems with the trans since it's not the Ford/GM cross the 3.0's have (2010 & up IIRC) - Firm you should be fine with the older one, I believe the tranny is different in it and not known to be an issue.  Don't know if it's like Porsche's IMF where it's well known, but maybe more overstated than actual, or not.

See...sexy car... :o ;D :lick: :love:

When are you posting the pictures of the sexy car  :think:  8)  :rofl:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: November 14, 2016, 11:10:16 am »
 :rofl2: :rofl: you funny guy...here...based on (your) age and demographics...a Sexy car just for you!

I think my car has actually aged well.  Doesn't look out of place or old (also I aint getting anything for a long time so I better like it) compared to say, the above.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #6224 on: November 14, 2016, 12:54:03 pm »
Dropped it off for a full wash, detail & wax, too fackin busy to do it myself! Looks great though!

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #6225 on: November 14, 2016, 01:20:25 pm »
^^Such a great looking car...looks awesome!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: November 14, 2016, 02:00:53 pm »
Dropped it off for a full wash, detail & wax, too fackin busy to do it myself! Looks great though!

So tempted to do that with the Mazda.  If I hadn't had the washer break down 2 weeks ago, I probably would have done that.  Don't have the cash to have a pro do it.   Now if Canuck was closer, maybe I would cut his grass for his services...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: November 14, 2016, 02:07:08 pm »

So tempted to do that with the Mazda.  If I hadn't had the washer break down 2 weeks ago, I probably would have done that.  Don't have the cash to have a pro do it.   Now if Canuck was closer, maybe I would cut his grass for his services...

Only cost me $113 with taxes!! No brainer for me ;D , but I hear you on the unexpected expenses popping up  :-\  Dropped it off at 7:30am, walked over at lunch & it was done  ;D

Not sure how Canuck would feel about you mowing his lawn...  :P  :rofl: :stick:  :run:

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6228 on: November 14, 2016, 02:56:36 pm »

Only cost me $113 with taxes!! No brainer for me ;D , but I hear you on the unexpected expenses popping up  :-\  Dropped it off at 7:30am, walked over at lunch & it was done  ;D

Not sure how Canuck would feel about you mowing his lawn...  :P  :rofl: :stick:  :run:

Gurgie, as a fellow Ottawan, where'd you get this done?  The C30 is in desperate need of a pampering...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: November 14, 2016, 02:58:48 pm »
Gurgie, as a fellow Ottawan, where'd you get this done?  The C30 is in desperate need of a pampering...

Underground parking at Place de Ville, P3 level they have the carwash down there... well worth it and they've always done a great job!

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: November 14, 2016, 03:17:25 pm »
Changed out the 27 year old radiator in the miata yesterday. Not leaking or anything but probably on borrowed time.
A new rad is surprisingly cheap for these cars.
That's probably something I should consider in the near future for my '97.  As far as I know, it's the original radiator and hoses.  No signs of anything about to fail, but at 20 years old, it's one of the things to keep an eye on.

It's an easy job if you want to do it yourself and save some money. It's all on miata. net. I put quite a few kilometers on in a summer and would not like it to let go away from civilization. Not a lot kills these cars except for overheating.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: November 14, 2016, 03:41:12 pm »

$113 is a great price.  I would it for sure, if there was a place around here that did it for around that.  I give my brother $80 just to detail the outside and inside, no wax!

Your grossing me out with the lawn crack!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6232 on: November 14, 2016, 03:59:49 pm »
washed my two jeeps... nice to get it done, but not enough time to do it how i want to.

found a stone chip on my wrangler and of course the touch up paint is all backordered at the moment.

would you guys suggest maybe filling with clear coat for now? that's what i'm thinking to at least keep the exposed metal away from weather.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6233 on: November 14, 2016, 04:34:28 pm »
No primer underneath? That must be deep stone chip or is it typical chrysler thing?  ;) ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6234 on: November 14, 2016, 07:14:26 pm »
Replaced the bootlid gas struts today on the 3er, came in the post. The old ones weren't really doing anything since about a year ago, the bootlid actually came down on my head once (@!§$).

The original BMW-branded ones are a rip, not paying 60 $US each for those. Poked around on the interwebs and found a suitable replacement from the EU.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6235 on: November 14, 2016, 08:30:22 pm »

would you guys suggest maybe filling with clear coat for now? that's what i'm thinking to at least keep the exposed metal away from weather.

I'd dab with grey primer asap due to freezing weather ahead and then cover in axle grease.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6236 on: November 15, 2016, 01:00:13 pm »
heh... yeah aqua, it's a big chip. and rarely do a i see a chip that leaves the primer underneath untouched... goes for any brand though!

i'll do a little touch up on it tonight with what i have and leave it a bit more shallow so when my colour comes in, it will sit on top close to level...

so drove the pacer in to work today... think this is the latest i have driven it any year (other than maybe a trip to storage in years past...) only one honk and two thumbs up on the way in... 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: November 15, 2016, 07:52:43 pm »
I forgot - I had the oil changed on the Sonic, for FREEEE!!  GM has a promotion on now for small cars (pretty sure it has to be a GM product, but feel free to try  ;D) where you can get a free oil change.  Heck yeah!  I ended up buying new wipers, buy one get one - the free one of course is the 15" wee $4 blade, and the other is 24" or something and is $18 + taxes...same as if I'd bought two at Costco so all's good.  So they didn't go away empty handed.

Something I did not do...I haven't put gas in the truck since Sept 14th. Given that we haven't taken it anywhere far either, I'd put that at around 300-350 km per month. Maybe.  Someday it'll be a low mileage classic... :P  Or at worst, an expensive waste of garage space.  Could put a Mustang (or Camaro :idea:) there and buy a beater pickup.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6238 on: November 16, 2016, 05:44:06 pm »
Now at 195,000 kms and had to have my second repair on the GTI.

CEL came on, I read the code and says IMS (Intake Manifold Sensor). Do a little more reading and seems to be a common issue.  VW issued an extended warranty on these but I'm 1500 kms over so I dropped by my local VW shop asking for some goodwill. Flat out nope. Not worth the argument so just head over to my indy.

Got it done today and when I picked up the car, the receptionist starts off with "You have to see this" which is never good. Even the guy that runs the shop got excited but he already knew the surprise.

He drops a box on the counter and says "Check this out".

A nice box of carbon deposits. Followed up with "That was one of the most I've ever cleaned out from that generation".

He was also saying that the newest motors are horrible and should be cleaned every 50,000 kms. Ouch.

Guess it was only time. Here is a crappy picture. I probably could have almost covered a 8x10 piece of paper with it.

Oh ya, still on my original front brakes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:46:13 pm by quadzilla »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: November 16, 2016, 05:45:45 pm »
^^Wow!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...