Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014921 times)

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6080 on: September 30, 2016, 11:50:44 am »
Bought four new WS-80 Blizzaks for the Corolla.  $468 at Costco including taxes, install, etc, etc.  That's a great deal.  Last few days of the $70 off promotion.

Nice!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6081 on: September 30, 2016, 11:53:31 am »
Thats a smoking good deal.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6082 on: September 30, 2016, 02:15:07 pm »
Oil change and wash for tomorrow's drag strip assault.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6083 on: September 30, 2016, 02:51:26 pm »

Be sure to Armor All the treads! :-)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #6084 on: September 30, 2016, 03:26:08 pm »

Be sure to Armor All the treads! :-)

HA.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6085 on: September 30, 2016, 04:24:41 pm »
Strip assault...do U have POLE POSITION ??? 8) :o :o ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6086 on: October 01, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »
well, my kids have started pre-school and i have it set up that if my son behaves all week there and at home while my wife is teaching piano, i will give him a reward at the end of the week... he had been good so i asked what he wanted... his choice?... go for a ride in the pacer and see grandma and grandpa!

so i put the car seats in it and made a trek up to see them and bring them dinner... didn't rain much, so not too bad a drive. i had to play a bunch of queen for him... his choice.

today's car thing is that i bought winters for the wrangler.. well.. all seasons with a snowflake (keep insurance happy). customer didn't want them on her ordered jeep, so i paid a bit to the dealership to keep the old ones. my parts department hates dealing with "used" tires, and once mounted, that's what they are... so i got 5 goodyear wrangler silent armors for the price of one BFG K02... pretty pleased.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6087 on: October 01, 2016, 02:10:24 pm »
well, my kids have started pre-school and i have it set up that if my son behaves all week there and at home while my wife is teaching piano, i will give him a reward at the end of the week... he had been good so i asked what he wanted... his choice?... go for a ride in the pacer and see grandma and grandpa!

so i put the car seats in it and made a trek up to see them and bring them dinner... didn't rain much, so not too bad a drive. i had to play a bunch of queen for him... his choice.

today's car thing is that i bought winters for the wrangler.. well.. all seasons with a snowflake (keep insurance happy). customer didn't want them on her ordered jeep, so i paid a bit to the dealership to keep the old ones. my parts department hates dealing with "used" tires, and once mounted, that's what they are... so i got 5 goodyear wrangler silent armors for the price of one BFG K02... pretty pleased.

I had a set of Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my truck, they worked quite well.   Check if the serial number on them starts with 4B, if so they were made here.
Mr Pickypants

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6088 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:32 pm »
good to hear! they seem to get good ratings... and the BFG mud terrains on the willys now are pretty rough on ice. figure these should be a bit better... plus... cheap rubber, why not? keep the kms low on the bfgs.

figure they are 180 each on tirerack... so good deal.

now i just have to find some rims to mount them on.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #6089 on: October 01, 2016, 07:08:36 pm »
"What will you do to your car on Saturday?"

The forecast for Saturday looks good, so I’m taking the Mazda to Interlake Dragway, west of Gimli, to see how quick the Mazda is in the quarter-mile.  I’m hoping for a time of 16.2 seconds at 85 mph, a lot slower than the dragster I drove last year, but still lots of fun.

:skid:

I made six runs today with the Mazda and ran a best of 16.22 seconds at 86.23 mph so, yeah, I'm happy.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6090 on: October 01, 2016, 09:23:35 pm »
Ordered new blizzaks for the vw.

Then cleaned the summer rims for storage.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #6091 on: October 02, 2016, 07:33:56 am »
"What will you do to your car on Saturday?"

The forecast for Saturday looks good, so I’m taking the Mazda to Interlake Dragway, west of Gimli, to see how quick the Mazda is in the quarter-mile.  I’m hoping for a time of 16.2 seconds at 85 mph, a lot slower than the dragster I drove last year, but still lots of fun.

:skid:

I made six runs today with the Mazda and ran a best of 16.22 seconds at 86.23 mph so, yeah, I'm happy.

Zoom Zoo... congrats............HAPPY............

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6092 on: October 03, 2016, 09:06:19 pm »
After years of using whatever car covers happened to come my way, I finally bought a really good outdoor cover. I ordered it from CarCovers.com, it was on sale for 50% off, and it arrived in about 2 weeks. It's the 'Platinum Shield' unit, which is supposed to be waterproof, yet still breathable. Of course, no rain in the forecast to find out for at least a few days. From feeling it is does feel like it's going to be waterproof, it's nicely fleece lined and fits pretty good IMO for a semi-custom cover.

I ordered it for the 85 Trans Am because it's currently living outside and I felt bad for it :( But it'll surely fit the 96 Firebird, or my 84 Camaro if the parking situation changes at all; so that's handy.

Mrs.Firm thinks it's hilarious that the cover is silver....I am honestly not sure why?

I just put it on the car, but I suspect the wrinkles will come out once it sits in the sun for a bit.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: October 04, 2016, 09:27:42 am »
 ::)    ...and don't forget to bake @ 350 for 2 hours.................. :-*

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #6094 on: October 04, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »
After years of using whatever car covers happened to come my way, I finally bought a really good outdoor cover. I ordered it from CarCovers.com, it was on sale for 50% off, and it arrived in about 2 weeks. It's the 'Platinum Shield' unit, which is supposed to be waterproof, yet still breathable. Of course, no rain in the forecast to find out for at least a few days. From feeling it is does feel like it's going to be waterproof, it's nicely fleece lined and fits pretty good IMO for a semi-custom cover.

I ordered it for the 85 Trans Am because it's currently living outside and I felt bad for it :( But it'll surely fit the 96 Firebird, or my 84 Camaro if the parking situation changes at all; so that's handy.

Mrs.Firm thinks it's hilarious that the cover is silver....I am honestly not sure why?

I just put it on the car, but I suspect the wrinkles will come out once it sits in the sun for a bit.

I would worry about that moving around and scratching the paint.  I've never really understood car covers, cars do better in the elements where they can breathe.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6095 on: October 04, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »
I had that mindset for years. But since I started using covers I definitely prefer them. Yes, there's an increased risk of scratching/swirls, especially if the car has modern clear coat paint (as this T/A does not). But paint is easily corrected, rust isn't. I'd leave a car uncovered in the rain and not touch it for a few days/week and then I'd open the door to find the jambs, door bottoms, etc still soaking wet. Same goes for any water that collects up in the cowl, rocker panels (a lot of wiper cowls drain out through the rocker panels), etc. Simply sitting in the open takes ages for it to dry. A cover prevents that, rain doesn't soak through into those low air-flow areas.

It's also a UV thing...The sun is likely even a bigger harm to cars outside than any rain/snow. It deteriorates everything; rubbers, paint, interiors, etc. Especially when we're talking materials that are already 30+ years old. A cover that keeps the sun off is a huge advantage.

So yeah, if you cover a dirty car and it's windy out; you're going to get some swirls. I always avoid covering a dirty car, but if/when swirls and minor scratches show up it's a lot easier to handle than the type of damager sitting outside uncovered promotes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:07:20 pm by Firm »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: October 04, 2016, 02:25:28 pm »
agreed. my seals suck on the pacer, so i cover it... the window rubbers and such are so bad that rain finds it's way in to the door and just sits, and slowly seeps out... not nice. this is a big improvement for me anyway. nice to hear of good covers... every review i read on any said they sucked, so i just went for a cheap one from crappy tire... not awesome, but ok for the short term.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #6097 on: October 04, 2016, 02:50:39 pm »
I use the Covercraft Custom Evolution Car Cover for my Porsche, my main goal with it was to block the sun's UV rays as the 944 dash is prone to cracking and then the breathability as well.  It also does offer some rain protection as well.  I've been using it for 3 years & it has held up well & worked as advertised.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: October 08, 2016, 10:17:11 pm »
Started winter prepping the cars :(
Escalade got a Krown spray yesterday, and a good wash and wax today. Trans am also got a wash and wax today.

Tomorrow I'll swap the wheels over on the Firebird, and Monday I'll probably get the SLK tucked away for the winter.

I really hate the amount of work that goes into prepping everything for winter, and then reverse in the spring. Serious PITA.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6099 on: October 09, 2016, 09:50:50 am »
With some rain Friday, power oversteered a couple wet corners. Because rear-wheel drive is awesome  :skid:

Then did my typical day trip to CLT. So.......much.......driving......... :thumbdown:   But the 3er needed to stretch its legs, and my cupboard was getting empty.

ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]