Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014896 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5700 on: June 08, 2016, 10:56:40 pm »
Hammer is your friend to get the bolts off.   Put a wrench on it and hit the wrench with the hammer to jar it free.   Or use a breaker bar.

Better yet invest in an impact gun,  saves lots of time,  but electric ones are typically too large for that area.

I've tried everything I could to get caliper bolts off before, bent everything, put the wheel back on, took it to the shop.  Some things are just worth paying someone else to do.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: June 08, 2016, 11:02:03 pm »
Hammer is your friend to get the bolts off.   Put a wrench on it and hit the wrench with the hammer to jar it free.   Or use a breaker bar.

Better yet invest in an impact gun,  saves lots of time,  but electric ones are typically too large for that area.

I've tried everything I could to get caliper bolts off before, bent everything, put the wheel back on, took it to the shop.  Some things are just worth paying someone else to do.

You bent a breaker bar?  A true breaker bar?  C'mon man...I know you workout.....but really?   :D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5702 on: June 09, 2016, 07:11:47 am »

You bent a breaker bar?  A true breaker bar?  C'mon man...I know you workout.....but really?   :D

No, that bit I didn't bend.  But even with my weight on it the bolt wouldn't budge.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5703 on: June 09, 2016, 07:13:56 am »

No, that bit I didn't bend.  But even with my weight on it the bolt wouldn't budge.
You should have called me  :rofl2:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5704 on: June 09, 2016, 08:16:38 am »
I've never had issues with a caliper bolt, breaker bar usually does the job. Now, I had a sway bar bushing bolt last year that beat everything I had....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5705 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:21 am »
I think you guys are turning them the wrong way.

Seriously they shouldn't be that tight,  never had an issue even with super old rusty crap.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5706 on: June 09, 2016, 09:20:58 am »
I think you guys are turning them the wrong way.

Seriously they shouldn't be that tight,  never had an issue even with super old rusty crap.
With the atf/acetone goo, and light application of impact gun and breaker bar, Ive never failed to get a bolt off....sometimes the bolt becomes two pieces.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5707 on: June 09, 2016, 09:23:51 am »
Yeah could be these bolts have red loctite.   Then just add heat.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: June 09, 2016, 09:26:02 am »
I have a $20ish propane jobbie that I bought from Can Tire a long time ago....never failed me.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: June 09, 2016, 09:37:07 am »
I have a $20ish propane jobbie that I bought from Can Tire a long time ago....never failed me.

??? Picture

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: June 09, 2016, 09:49:55 am »

??? Picture
Looks something like this

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: June 09, 2016, 10:06:30 am »
The exhaust on the truck developed a leak at weld near the muffler.  I didn't have time to bring it in this week and will be using it over the weekend on a camping trip.

So, I bought some "muffler weld" paste then wrapped a beer can around it and secured it with two hose clamps.   So far it seems to be working perfectly. 

I am under no illusion this is a permanent solution, hopefully it lasts long enough to get the truck into the shop.

(Also, I was kind liking the extra rumble. But didn't want it to get any worse)
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #5712 on: June 09, 2016, 10:26:11 am »
Oh ya, you're going to be famous on Reddit.com, Just rolled into the shop.  ;D

reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5713 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:29 am »
Some major (for me) surgery on the TR6... Clutch replacement time ...

Took a little longer than expected with other demands on the free time, but finished the clutch replacement on the TR6. A friend had a rebuilt transmission which I decided to put in since I had to take mine out anyway. The old one was working fine but leaked a lot. May rebuild it over the winter or try to convert it to an overdrive. Turns out it was a good thing as the bolt securing the clutch fork had sheared on my trans which would have required some major surgery (cutting a hardened steel cross shaft with little access) to remove it.

Removed the nasty carpet underlay and replaced with new "Hushmat" type material - more for heat than sound proofing. Cabin is noticeably cooler with it installed. Everything cleaned up nicely and back together, definitely needed the help from friends who've done this before, but it drives great now. Hope to get some good summer driving in without any other major repairs for a while...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: June 09, 2016, 11:35:26 am »

??? Picture

Why didn't you just write a propane plumbing  torch   

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5715 on: June 09, 2016, 11:37:05 am »
Some major (for me) surgery on the TR6... Clutch replacement time ...

Took a little longer than expected with other demands on the free time, but finished the clutch replacement on the TR6. A friend had a rebuilt transmission which I decided to put in since I had to take mine out anyway. The old one was working fine but leaked a lot. May rebuild it over the winter or try to convert it to an overdrive. Turns out it was a good thing as the bolt securing the clutch fork had sheared on my trans which would have required some major surgery (cutting a hardened steel cross shaft with little access) to remove it.

Removed the nasty carpet underlay and replaced with new "Hushmat" type material - more for heat than sound proofing. Cabin is noticeably cooler with it installed. Everything cleaned up nicely and back together, definitely needed the help from friends who've done this before, but it drives great now. Hope to get some good summer driving in without any other major repairs for a while...
Nice job!  :thumbup:

Love TR6's!!!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: June 09, 2016, 11:47:57 am »

??? Picture

Why didn't you just write a propane plumbing  torch
Because I've never heard it called that.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5717 on: June 09, 2016, 12:08:57 pm »
Use MAPP gas in the yellow bottle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5718 on: June 09, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »

Great effort.  No pain no gain.

:fiver:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5719 on: June 09, 2016, 12:12:19 pm »

Great effort.  No pain no gain.

:fiver:

I've always wonder, what do you have against this forum's quote functionality?