Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014810 times)

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5680 on: June 04, 2016, 10:59:58 pm »
Put another 1/2 day in on the Escalade, slowly bringing it up to my standards.

Finished cleaning the interior; door panels, and glass. Spent about an hour and a half tinkering with the rear wiper motor, a new motor is like $300, so I wanted to be sure I needed it before ordering. Triple checked all the wiring, grounds, safety switches, etc. Can't get anything more than clicking out of it, so I guess I need a new one.

I was able to program the remotes to work with the aftermarket remote starter someone installed - so that was a win. Also threw on a new pair of front wiper blades since I happened to have the right sizes sitting in my parts hoard.  Scrubbed and leather treated the third row seats - stored them in the basement. Lastly I re-mounted the license plates with nice stainless hardware and a clear plastic bubble on the front.

Still need to go around touching up paint chips and then do a proper paint correction.....No looking forward to that, too much real-estate :(

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5681 on: June 04, 2016, 11:11:42 pm »
Washed the front wheels on the 3er today. Since I am bringing the 3er to the shop on Tuesday, one of the jobs I'm having them do is to apply the anti-squeal grease to the front pads, so figured I'd at least clean up the wheels so they're not so hideously dusty to handle.

Couldn't loosen the two 18mm bolts that hold the caliper on last weekend, so asking them to do that for me. Main reason is a coolant change- the operating témperature isn't normal when I monitored it last weekend so hopefully they can just change the coolant and run some diagnostics, and hope nothing else needs replacement..... :shuffle:
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: June 04, 2016, 11:53:08 pm »
Washed it, FINALLY!

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Looks great - love those wheels!
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
Re: Supercharged Viper Goodness
« Reply #5683 on: June 04, 2016, 11:58:47 pm »

Anyways...I took a brief, bad video of the Viper idling.  It does it no justice.  What it sounds like at idle is an offshore boat with twin 502s idling.  Just a soul-shaking rumble..very deep.

Sounds great!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Supercharged Viper Goodness
« Reply #5684 on: June 05, 2016, 07:59:37 am »
I was back in Ohio at AP again, this time to swap out the air ride on my LS to traditional shocks. 

How long did that take and how much did it set you back?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5685 on: June 05, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »

Finished cleaning the interior; door panels, and glass. Spent about an hour and a half tinkering with the rear wiper motor, a new motor is like $300, so I wanted to be sure I needed it before ordering. Triple checked all the wiring, grounds, safety switches, etc. Can't get anything more than clicking out of it, so I guess I need a new one.

I was able to program the remotes to work with the aftermarket remote starter someone installed - so that was a win. Also threw on a new pair of front wiper blades since I happened to have the right sizes sitting in my parts hoard.  Scrubbed and leather treated the third row seats - stored them in the basement. Lastly I re-mounted the license plates with nice stainless hardware and a clear plastic bubble on the front.

Still need to go around touching up paint chips and then do a proper paint correction.....No looking forward to that, too much real-estate :(

Sounds good.  Your recent ride, has me thinking of selling the two vans and getting a Tahoe.  Not getting anywhere selling the Odyssey.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5686 on: June 05, 2016, 07:14:37 pm »
It's been a couple of months, but we installed a UNIbrace underbody brace on the GTI.

It is a great, quality product. The GTI wasn't the most comfortable vehicle with (heavy, stock) 18" wheels (I may change those later). And being a hatchback, didn't have the most chassis rigidity.

This thing has definitely tightened and improved the ride comfort. I am very satisfied. Quality product too, and easy-peasy ordering and shipping process from the States.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5687 on: June 05, 2016, 07:17:54 pm »
It's been a couple of months, but we installed a UNIbrace underbody brace on the GTI.

It is a great, quality product. The GTI wasn't the most comfortable vehicle with (heavy, stock) 18" wheels (I may change those later). And being a hatchback, didn't have the most chassis rigidity.

This thing has definitely tightened and improved the ride comfort. I am very satisfied. Quality product too, and easy-peasy ordering and shipping process from the States.

whoa, i didn't even know the transmission tunnel braces like that existed.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5688 on: June 05, 2016, 07:50:37 pm »

That's good to hear about the UNIbrace. I've looked into it before, but never pulled the trigger. Can't remember why, exactly. Maybe I was concerned about ground clearance in winter. Doesn't look like it in the picture, but do you find it hangs down much?

I've also read good things about the rear brace (the interior one, behind the rear seats), but I just can't see myself giving up the cargo flexibility.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:52:17 pm by HeliDriver »

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5689 on: June 05, 2016, 08:03:35 pm »

Sounds good.  Your recent ride, has me thinking of selling the two vans and getting a Tahoe.  Not getting anywhere selling the Odyssey.

Now you're thinking :D

In between the rain today I polished the 3 rims on the Escalade that I hadn't done yet. Takes about an hour per rim, first with a buffer bit on a drill and then by hand. Does get rid of all the stains and tarnishing though, only a few spots of corrosion/pitting left on each one - I am willing to live with that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: June 05, 2016, 11:08:41 pm »
I was back in Ohio at AP again, this time to swap out the air ride on my LS to traditional shocks. 

A couple hours. Shocks were low mileage used units.

All in cost was less than $500
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5691 on: June 06, 2016, 06:08:39 am »

Was there a problem with the air ride ?

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5692 on: June 06, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »

That's good to hear about the UNIbrace. I've looked into it before, but never pulled the trigger. Can't remember why, exactly. Maybe I was concerned about ground clearance in winter. Doesn't look like it in the picture, but do you find it hangs down much?

I've also read good things about the rear brace (the interior one, behind the rear seats), but I just can't see myself giving up the cargo flexibility.

Ground clearance: I don't think you give up much at all. Our GTI is not lowered, but the brace replaces 2 flimsy OEM ones. So, since the UNIbrace is thicker, you do give up a little more ground clearance but very little. Most of the good reviews I've read about them were by owners with lowered GTI's.

Yeah, I'm not going to install interior one. This has tightened up the chassis nicely. It's enough for me.

I became a big believer in braces for cars which don't have the most rigidity due to their design.. They've made notable differences on our miata's. There was less of a "need" for it on the GTI, but it was a nice improvement.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: June 06, 2016, 06:45:42 pm »

Was there a problem with the air ride ?

Apart from replacement cost of new air ride components?  Not really.  One shock had a very, very slight leak.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:23:08 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5694 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:19 pm »

Ground clearance: I don't think you give up much at all. Our GTI is not lowered, but the brace replaces 2 flimsy OEM ones. So, since the UNIbrace is thicker, you do give up a little more ground clearance but very little. Most of the good reviews I've read about them were by owners with lowered GTI's.

Yeah, I'm not going to install interior one. This has tightened up the chassis nicely. It's enough for me.

I became a big believer in braces for cars which don't have the most rigidity due to their design.. They've made notable differences on our miata's. There was less of a "need" for it on the GTI, but it was a nice improvement.

I agree, a strut brace on the GenCoupe made a significant difference, you could feel it straight away.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5695 on: June 08, 2016, 01:55:10 pm »
Subaru Legacy remainder of suggested servicing.

"S" service 96K maintenance schedule.

CVT fluid, both diffs and power steering fluids. Did it for 1/2 of dealer cost with fully synthetic Amsoil all around.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: June 08, 2016, 04:09:11 pm »
So I picked up the 3er from the shop today. They had flushed out the old coolant and replaced the drain plug. Not so bad.

Sticker shock came from them removing all 4 calipers, cleaning the pad contact points, and applying anti-squeal paste. 176 $US + tax for this part alone, 2h of labour.  :banghead: . Would have done this myself except couldn't get the calipers off- not having a my own space/garage doesn't help here.

So altogether, 342 $US ( 445$) unplanned out of pocket. *sigh* I coulda used that money on other things.......

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: June 08, 2016, 10:00:25 pm »
So I picked up the 3er from the shop today. They had flushed out the old coolant and replaced the drain plug. Not so bad.

Sticker shock came from them removing all 4 calipers, cleaning the pad contact points, and applying anti-squeal paste. 176 $US + tax for this part alone, 2h of labour.  :banghead: . Would have done this myself except couldn't get the calipers off- not having a my own space/garage doesn't help here.

So altogether, 342 $US ( 445$) unplanned out of pocket. *sigh* I coulda used that money on other things.......

Welcome to the world of driving an older car and not doing your own work. I actually think $450 isn't all that bad.....hourly rate around here is usually $90-120/hr. Course, it probably only took the shop 45 minutes, but "book time" on the job is 2hrs, so that's what you're billed.
One of the many reasons I buy ancient :censor: I can fix in my driveway.....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: June 08, 2016, 10:28:29 pm »

Welcome to the world of driving an older car and not doing your own work. I actually think $450 isn't all that bad.....hourly rate around here is usually $90-120/hr. Course, it probably only took the shop 45 minutes, but "book time" on the job is 2hrs, so that's what you're billed.
One of the many reasons I buy ancient :censor: I can fix in my driveway.....
More annoyingly, the squeal is still there....as I found out driving home this evening. Argh, now I have to go back during lunch tomorrow and show them/road test !  >:(

I think the road salt from the winter made things all crusty there. I had the tools, tried my best to get the two 18mm bolts holding the caliper off (I had the wheel off, but was on my knees the whole time). After 5-10min of literally no budging from the bolt, I called it quits.

I also hate asking my colleagues to give me a ride to/from the shop. Yeah, it's on the way to work and no one really cares, but it feels awkward always asking for favours while everyone else is fine because they have a spouse/girlfriend to help out or a proper garage (one even has his own in-floor lift !!)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5699 on: June 08, 2016, 10:32:24 pm »
Hammer is your friend to get the bolts off.   Put a wrench on it and hit the wrench with the hammer to jar it free.   Or use a breaker bar.

Better yet invest in an impact gun,  saves lots of time,  but electric ones are typically too large for that area.