Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014772 times)

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5620 on: May 15, 2016, 11:13:42 pm »
Decided to do the front bearings on the Mini today, was a pain in the ass! First one I couldn't get the torx nut off that holds the rotor on, so of course it stripped eventually. Drilled it out in the end. Then the rotor wouldn't come off the hub, so at this point I said fcuk it will just take off the entire hub & rotor together & then bang the hub off the rotor, worked like a charm! Put it all back together in about 15mins after taking 2+ hrs to disassemble. Then I went to do the other on, doused the torx nut in WD40 & hammered on it before I tried to remove it, go it loose easily & the rotor too, but the damn axle nut wouldn't break free, tried everything, hammering it, WD40, impact gun & nothing. Even put the wheel back on, put the car back on the ground & used my breaker bar & still no movement. Got a piece of long pipe to use on the breaker bar for even more torque, broke the breaker bar, sheared off the end that goes into the socket. At this point, I gave up, put everything away & called it a day. Anyone have any suggestions? Was thinking I'd take it to a shop to get them to break it free for me & then I can finish the job on my own later.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

On days like that, packing up and calling it a day is usually the best move. Let it soak in WD-40 (or PB Blaster if you've got it) for a few days. If you have a decent torch you can try heating the crap out of next time too, usually the combination of heat and penetrating oil does a good job. Failing that I'd just do what you suggested, take it to a shop and let it be someone else's issue. Sometime it's just not worth the pain and frustration....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5621 on: May 16, 2016, 12:29:44 am »
50/50 tranny fluid and acetone and a torch

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: May 16, 2016, 12:59:27 am »

Yep...likely wouldn't even need the torch. That's how good it works.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: May 16, 2016, 01:03:05 am »

Yep...likely wouldn't even need the torch. That's how good it works.
Depends how bad the corrosion is....but yeah, that penetrant cocktail and an impact should do the trick.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5624 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:29 am »
Well installed engine,  new bushings, exhaust, car almost ready.
Is it alive?
Was the fan motor on the rad any good ?
Wiring harness is not ready so can't test it.   

Funny about the rad fan.   We bought a new one.   It didn't fit.

So I ended up swapping the fan blades from the siezed motor to the one with broken blades.

Saved $100 and good as new.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5625 on: May 16, 2016, 04:48:34 pm »
Finally got my Outback running again, it' s been way too long a job.

Got it moving and the warning lights to stop coming back.
Still have to put the steering linkage straight, steering wheel is off,  check the tranny fluid level, think it's still low,  there also might be  a small coolant leak.
Hope there's nothing else.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5626 on: May 16, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
 :fiver:
Well installed engine,  new bushings, exhaust, car almost ready.
Is it alive?
Was the fan motor on the rad any good ?
Wiring harness is not ready so can't test it.   

Funny about the rad fan.   We bought a new one.   It didn't fit.

So I ended up swapping the fan blades from the siezed motor to the one with broken blades.

Saved $100 and good as new.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5627 on: May 17, 2016, 09:30:02 am »
yellow oil lamp turned on after i shut down my car this morning.   ahh..  must be low on oil.

it's not a comforting thing i want to see after i get to work.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5628 on: May 17, 2016, 01:19:36 pm »
Getting ready to sell the Honda Odyssey.  Bringing it in to my mechanic to have certified tomorrow.  He will also pull the brake controller and 7-pin wire harness so I can have it installed on the Entourage. 

When I bought it the front bumper was pretty damaged, with several clips broken.  So I picked up a new one (CAPA certified primed black) for $100.  I think I will just install and leave it black, as a couple of places want $250, even if I just bring them the bumper cover. 

I also ordered a door handle (as it doesn't work very well anymore) for the driver's sliding door from RockAuto (went to a few wreckers, hard to find Odyssey parts).  But it was only $40 CDN including delivery. 

Not sure whether to pull the Alpine aftermarket I installed (I added it mainly for the Bluetooth features).  It wouldn't be hard, as their is not steering wheel audio controls, and I still have the original OEM Honda stereo.  The Entourage doesn't have Bluetooth either.  And it would fit .

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: May 17, 2016, 01:58:54 pm »
 ^ Wow, where did you find a new bumper for only $100? :o The Versa's front bumper cost a LOT more than that.. >:(

Anyway, back to what I did to my car today. The rear bumper under the hatch was so badly scratched that I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. There's a rubbery-plastic scuff protector thingy but it's too small to do much good. I sanded out most of the scratches, masked it and gave it three coats of a black paint/primer combo for plastic. I don't know how durable it'll be but it sure looks a lot better.

' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #5630 on: May 17, 2016, 02:18:28 pm »
Let it soak in WD-40 (or PB Blaster if you've got it) for a few days. If you have a decent torch you can try heating the crap out of next time too, usually the combination of heat and penetrating oil does a good job. Failing that I'd just do what you suggested, take it to a shop and let it be someone else's issue. Sometime it's just not worth the pain and frustration....

Picked up some PB Blaster last night & just soaked the crap out of it.... waited a bit & still couldn't get it to budge.... soaked it some more, still nothing & broke another breaker bar, sheared off at the socket end again.  Thankfully they're the Maximum ones from CDN Tire, so lifetime warranty on them, right Firm?  :rofl2:  Don't have a torch that would be hot enough, just have a propane one for soldering copper, that's never going to give me enough heat.  Will try again tomorrow night after work to see if the PB Blaster got it freed up, if not I'll soak it again & then try on the weekend again.  Then if that doesn't work, off to the garage to break it free.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5631 on: May 17, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »
Let it soak in WD-40 (or PB Blaster if you've got it) for a few days. If you have a decent torch you can try heating the crap out of next time too, usually the combination of heat and penetrating oil does a good job. Failing that I'd just do what you suggested, take it to a shop and let it be someone else's issue. Sometime it's just not worth the pain and frustration....

Picked up some PB Blaster last night & just soaked the crap out of it.... waited a bit & still couldn't get it to budge.... soaked it some more, still nothing & broke another breaker bar, sheared off at the socket end again.  Thankfully they're the Maximum ones from CDN Tire, so lifetime warranty on them, right Firm?  :rofl2:  Don't have a torch that would be hot enough, just have a propane one for soldering copper, that's never going to give me enough heat.  Will try again tomorrow night after work to see if the PB Blaster got it freed up, if not I'll soak it again & then try on the weekend again.  Then if that doesn't work, off to the garage to break it free.

Time to move up to 3/4" drive and 4' breaker bars

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #5632 on: May 17, 2016, 02:57:20 pm »

Yeah the 1/2" drive just isn't cutting it for me right now  :o

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:50 pm »

Yeah the 1/2" drive just isn't cutting it for me right now  :o

And seriously try the atf/acetone penetrant man....works like a hot damn

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5634 on: May 17, 2016, 03:31:00 pm »
^ Wow, where did you find a new bumper for only $100? :o The Versa's front bumper cost a LOT more than that.. >:(

Anyway, back to what I did to my car today. The rear bumper under the hatch was so badly scratched that I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. There's a rubbery-plastic scuff protector thingy but it's too small to do much good. I sanded out most of the scratches, masked it and gave it three coats of a black paint/primer combo for plastic. I don't know how durable it'll be but it sure looks a lot better.

Bumpers aren't expensive, it's when they are the pulled from older vehicles and are painted that they are more.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2010,versa,1.8l+l4,1444888,body,bumper+cover,1344

To have it shipped is a lot of money.  I got mine 45km away.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5635 on: May 17, 2016, 04:06:53 pm »

;D Fortunately I am not on the product warranty & return side of the business anymore....Otherwise you'd be on my hit list  :rofl2:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5636 on: May 17, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »
Had a productive couple of days off with the garage and Miata last week.  I started off by adding a shelf to my garage cabinet, then wired up my old Pioneer receiver, an ipod dock,  and an old pair of bookshelf speakers. Garage is now wired for sound.

On to the wee black roadster. I changed the transmission (including shifter turret) and diff oils. I used RP Gearmax for the diff and shifter. I used the Ford synthetic transmission oil that NA owners rave about. So far so good, the shifter does feel better.

Day 2, and I took the 2 seats out and steam cleaned them and all the carpets. The water was black...yuck!  When the drivers seat went back in, I used 3 flat washers on each side between the floor and the seat rail. I was able to raise the front of the seat by almost half an inch. The seat feels a little better like that. Then I installed a set of Clearwater headrest speakers. I just ran the wires, they're not connected yet. I have a matching set of door speakers and a new head unit as well. I'll do the door speakers, they're plug and play. I'll take it in somewhere to get the head unit installed, I don't have patience for wiring like that anymore.

"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: May 18, 2016, 06:19:29 pm »
Dropped the drivetrain out of the 911.  Looks like a dung beetle pushing an engine around.

Gonna tear into the transmission later.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5638 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:08 pm »
Canadian Tire had Reese hitches on sale this week for 20% off, so I picked one up for the CX9. Installed it myself after work today. Not quite the 15 minute job the instructions said, but not bad. There's a module of some sort in front of 2 of the bolts, so I could only turn them with a wrench, couldn't get a socket on those 2. Looks ok, doesn't hand down too far past the bumper.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #5639 on: May 18, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »
Boss!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?