Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015303 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5420 on: April 11, 2016, 08:48:54 pm »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #5421 on: April 11, 2016, 09:06:31 pm »
Got it out of storage & drove it home. Happily it started, still had oil in it, tires were all still full (had to air them back down), everything functioned properly... and now it's gonna snow tonight :-[

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Sweet Porsche, reminded me of a picture I took in August last year, Kensington Market:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5422 on: April 11, 2016, 09:30:40 pm »
Fuchs = awesome.

Cue Saffy...

And flying variety are even better. That's why I rarely give them  ;D

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #5423 on: April 11, 2016, 10:53:41 pm »
Fuchs = awesome.

Also, overpriced!!

I sold my beat up Fuchs and got enough from them to buy new 17" Fuch copies with full rubber!!  And I had money left over!
Crazy pricey, but they came with the car, so all good with me :D

If doing track days, you might consider getting different wheels...if only because the Fuchs are so expensive to replace.
Taking it out to Calabogie on April 24th for the 1st time. Doing the 30min session with an instructor that Angry Chicken posted. Based on that experience I'll see where it takes me. Did spot a set of 16" phone dials with the correct early offset on Kijiji on the weekend... :o

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #5424 on: April 15, 2016, 01:41:15 pm »
Took my 3er in for a "pre warranty expiration" appointment.  I had a weird squealing noise coming from the dash whenever I turn left, they are going to replace some kind of motor in the HVAC under warranty, along with some suspension bits (that's the technical term, I know  :rofl2:).  Out of pocket, I did a brake service as they are rusty and sticking and wouldn't likely pass MVI.  Did MVI while I was there.  Taking her back in next Tuesday for the warranty work as parts were not on hand.

Would you believe I got 2km from the dealer and got a completely flat tire, and had to flatbed it back to get it plugged? Completely annoying during a busy day. 

Finally, would you believe the dealer wants to charge $129+shop+HST for a winter tire changeover (not mounted on rims).  Yikes, I will get a local shop to do that next month.

Back to this....had my car in at a trusty indie shop for my tire changeover this week, and they tell me I need a brake service!  Keep in mind I never told them I had just had a brake service done at BMW. And that my alignment is off (I've driven maybe 200km since the alignment).  I called back BMW, and they are going to do another alignment for free, but insist that they did a proper brake service and that "we don't touch rotors". 

The shop actually took me out back and showed me a brake service underway...what they take apart, what gets greased, etc. My brakes looked nothing like that. 

Not sure what to do here....I am already out of pocket for a brake service.   Go get a third opinion?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5425 on: April 15, 2016, 01:45:05 pm »
Swapped my summer wheels and tires on last night. The car looks and drives so much better now.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: April 15, 2016, 01:49:21 pm »
Took my 3er in for a "pre warranty expiration" appointment.  I had a weird squealing noise coming from the dash whenever I turn left, they are going to replace some kind of motor in the HVAC under warranty, along with some suspension bits (that's the technical term, I know  :rofl2:).  Out of pocket, I did a brake service as they are rusty and sticking and wouldn't likely pass MVI.  Did MVI while I was there.  Taking her back in next Tuesday for the warranty work as parts were not on hand.

Would you believe I got 2km from the dealer and got a completely flat tire, and had to flatbed it back to get it plugged? Completely annoying during a busy day. 

Finally, would you believe the dealer wants to charge $129+shop+HST for a winter tire changeover (not mounted on rims).  Yikes, I will get a local shop to do that next month.

Back to this....had my car in at a trusty indie shop for my tire changeover this week, and they tell me I need a brake service!  Keep in mind I never told them I had just had a brake service done at BMW. And that my alignment is off (I've driven maybe 200km since the alignment).  I called back BMW, and they are going to do another alignment for free, but insist that they did a proper brake service and that "we don't touch rotors". 

The shop actually took me out back and showed me a brake service underway...what they take apart, what gets greased, etc. My brakes looked nothing like that. 

Not sure what to do here....I am already out of pocket for a brake service.   Go get a third opinion?

Sounds like BMW just slapped on a set of new pads. Not exactly a full servicing of the brakes. What did the bill say? Any details on there?

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #5427 on: April 15, 2016, 02:04:43 pm »
My invoice literally just says "brake service".  $285.  I actually feel pretty dumb for not getting more details, but I am just not mechanically inclined and perhaps foolishly go along with whatever the dealer says should be done....my goal is to be a much more informed consumer moving forward.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #5428 on: April 15, 2016, 02:22:20 pm »
My invoice literally just says "brake service".  $285.  I actually feel pretty dumb for not getting more details, but I am just not mechanically inclined and perhaps foolishly go along with whatever the dealer says should be done....my goal is to be a much more informed consumer moving forward.

Maybe they greased the slider pins?  I'd ask for a break-down on WTF they exactly did?  For $285 you could maybe get new rotors & pads for that car, parts alone!!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5429 on: April 15, 2016, 02:33:38 pm »

For that price I'm sure they just changed the pads.   

This is one of the reasons I go to an indie and I'm lucky to have a good one close by my house.  If there are any questions they just bring me back to talk to the mechanic directly.  I don't remember ever speaking with a mechanic at any dealer.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5430 on: April 15, 2016, 06:28:41 pm »
Put the summer wheels back on the V60, found a small sidewall bulge in the right rear >:(

Decided to order a new one. No idea how long I was driving with that bulge.

$285 for a single tire.... :o
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5431 on: April 15, 2016, 07:44:07 pm »
Changed over tires on the Prius
Took the winter cover off the BMW

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: April 15, 2016, 07:53:34 pm »
Put the summer wheels back on the V60, found a small sidewall bulge in the right rear >:(

Decided to order a new one. No idea how long I was driving with that bulge.

$285 for a single tire.... :o

I know how you feel. I had bulges in both of my rear tires last summer. >$400 EACH to replace because they were runflats :rofl2: :o

I decided to replace all 4 tires with Michelin Pilot AS/3's (non-runflats) instead for the same price. Sold the 2 front runflats for $100.  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:55:17 pm by 1FGC »

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: April 15, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »
Replacing brake pads is almost as easy as changing a tire. Shoes are a different story... I'm surprised more people don't DIY it.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5434 on: April 16, 2016, 05:38:33 am »
Awoke the Elan from slumber and blew off a few cobwebs with a nice country blast...top down as always,
  Still have a grin on my face......................

can't resist posting this stock photo.   Miata sure looks CORN FED ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 05:40:39 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5435 on: April 16, 2016, 08:14:56 am »
Awoke the Elan from slumber and blew off a few cobwebs with a nice country blast...top down as always,

I've been out in the s2000 last couple of nights top down as well!  I passed countless verts and almost all driving top up. So pathetic!  ::)

The only two exceptions were an older mustang and my buddy in his Z3. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5436 on: April 16, 2016, 09:46:03 am »
 ??? ::)  TOUPE TROUBLES..... :P ...I like the wind through my HAIR...both of them.............. :rofl2:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: April 16, 2016, 11:46:20 am »

I've been out in the s2000 last couple of nights top down as well!  I passed countless verts and almost all driving top up. So pathetic!  ::)

The only two exceptions were an older mustang and my buddy in his Z3.

yeah, What was the temperature? People are wimps. I find a lot of people buy topdown cars on a whim. Then there hair gets messed up and it's cold.
Then it's for sale a year later. ::)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5438 on: April 16, 2016, 01:12:10 pm »
Had to drive the Highlander to the gym this morning as the Miata is being held hostage in the garage thanks to a broken spring.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #5439 on: April 16, 2016, 06:06:59 pm »
Took the winter tires off an put the all seasons back on the Wrangler.