Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015572 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5280 on: March 15, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »
Jacked up each corner of the GTI to check for bad wheel bearings.

Just starting yesterday, I've been hearing a loud rumbling/whining noise at highway speeds. Sounds like tire tread whine, but seemed odd that it would start suddenly like that (tires have been on all winter.)

Anyway, all four wheels spin quietly and freely, with no play, so sure seems like all the wheel bearings are good. Maybe it really is just tire noise? Guess I'll find out when the summers go back on (hopefully in a few weeks.)

Switch the offending tire to the opposite corner...that will tell you ASAP
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5281 on: March 15, 2016, 09:30:42 pm »
^^ Yeah, might try that. Not 100% sure where the noise is coming from, though. Seems like right rear, but even with the windows rolled down, it's not obviously coming from one spot. Maybe I'll start with switching the rears side-to-side and see if anything changes.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5282 on: March 15, 2016, 09:34:08 pm »

Just starting yesterday, I've been hearing a loud rumbling/whining noise at highway speeds. Sounds like tire tread whine, but seemed odd that it would start suddenly like that (tires have been on all winter.)

Anyway, all four wheels spin quietly and freely, with no play, so sure seems like all the wheel bearings are good. Maybe it really is just tire noise? Guess I'll find out when the summers go back on (hopefully in a few weeks.)

An alignment might solve it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: March 15, 2016, 09:36:21 pm »

Yes....but I'm guessing the car isn't pulling to either side...he likely would have mentioned that?

I suppose it could be a wheel weight has fallen off and slightly affected tire balance?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5284 on: March 15, 2016, 09:38:46 pm »

Yes....but I'm guessing the car isn't pulling to either side...he likely would have mentioned that?

I suppose it could be a wheel weight has fallen off and slightly affected tire balance?

Yes but if the wheels are toed in too much they can pull on the tread creating a ton of noise, but no real pull in either direction.  Check how even the wear is, are some tread blocks higher than others?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: March 15, 2016, 09:42:15 pm »
.  Check how even the wear is, are some tread blocks higher than others?

Yes.  If it's howling, you should have uneven tread wear.

Which is why switching the tires around would help isolate the issue.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: March 15, 2016, 09:45:05 pm »
Wear looks normal, and car tracks straight and true. Had an alignment done last spring, but the roads were horrible earlier in the winter, so I guess it could have gotten knocked out of alignment. Balance also seems fine.

My guess is that it's just whine from the winter tires. I suppose it's normal for noise to get worse as the tires wear, but it just seems odd that I'd notice it all of a sudden.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5287 on: March 16, 2016, 08:52:09 am »
Did you get that excessive EAR WAX rinsed out...................... :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5288 on: March 16, 2016, 09:27:56 am »
replacement rear shocks are here.  took rockauto/shipping company less than a week to send this out.

shipping was $20. 

turner motorsports wants $40 to ship a freaking $4 oil drain bolt...   rockauto is the best.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5289 on: March 16, 2016, 09:38:39 am »
replacement rear shocks are here.  took rockauto/shipping company less than a week to send this out.

shipping was $20. 

turner motorsports wants $40 to ship a freaking $4 oil drain bolt...   rockauto is the best.

Agreed. Even with exchange their prices are good, shipping is fair and fast.

LMC Truck (AKA Victoria British) charged me $20 (USD) to ship a $3 rubber bump stop for my tailgate. The thing isn't any bigger than a water bottle cap. Had to pay it too as it's sort of an obscure part and I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: March 17, 2016, 06:00:33 pm »
Jacked it up again.  :P

Put another 400 highway kms on the GTI, and the noise is slightly worse. Also noticed that the noise goes away on right-hand highway curves, which supports my original suspicion of a bad wheel bearing on the right.

So... jacked it up again and both right bearings spin smoothly with no play. But, when I spin the rear as fast as I can get it to go, there is maybe a slight grumble to it. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace it. ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: March 17, 2016, 06:01:32 pm »

shipping was $20. 

Who was the shipping company?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: March 17, 2016, 06:02:03 pm »

Put another 400 highway kms on the GTI, and the noise is slightly worse. Also noticed that the noise goes away on right-hand highway curves, which supports my original suspicion of a bad wheel bearing on the right.

So... jacked it up again and both right bearings spin smoothly with no play. But, when I spin the rear as fast as I can get it to go, there is maybe a slight grumble to it. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace it. ???

Did you move the tires around at all?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: March 17, 2016, 06:07:39 pm »

Did you move the tires around at all?

No, that's too much work. :)

I won't be driving the car for a few weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to put the summers on then, which should be a good test. Won't have time to change the bearing before then anyway.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: March 17, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »
^^Keep us posted.

On somewhat similar note, I take the LS430 in tomorrow for a 4 wheel alignment.  Hard to believe, but when I hit that racoon, my alignment went out slightly.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5295 on: March 18, 2016, 12:18:17 am »
replaced rear shock absorbers.

as you can see, the old shocks are staying in whatever place i leave it at... :(  it does eventually come back.. eventually.

anyway, replace both sides, and they were both bad.

then went for a test drive.

can hardly feel the difference on normal roads, but there's a local round-about where it's bumpy continuously, and there, i can see the better damping keeping my rear end more planted.  hmm.

anyway, money well spent.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:19:56 am by aquadorhj »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5296 on: March 18, 2016, 08:10:30 am »
No picture on my iPad

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:46 am »
No picture on my iPad

attached a photo to my post.  should be able to see it.   

replaced OEM Sachs shock with  Bilstein.   supposed to be stiffer than stock, but ...   i can't really feel it.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: March 18, 2016, 09:29:41 am »
No picture on my iPad

replaced OEM Sachs shock with  Bilstein.   supposed to be stiffer than stock, but ...   i can't really feel it.

I can see the picture.  Didn't those worn shocks wear out your tires?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: March 18, 2016, 09:37:31 am »
No picture on my iPad

I can see the picture.  Didn't those worn shocks wear out your tires?

nah.   i can hardly feel the difference on normal commute, my previous 2 alignments were set up to minimize tire wear, too.