Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015540 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5260 on: March 14, 2016, 03:19:46 pm »
Cleaned out the inside of the 3 and the CX9 on the weekend.  Took out the floor mats and hosed them off, got rid of the plastic that I had under them.  Vacuumed the floors and seats.  Gave everything a good wipe down, cleaned the inside of the windows.  Much better!  Plus it was just nice to be outside!

Getting Island Car Wash to do that for me right at this moment!  Hilton Head Island SC.
Nice!  You can enjoy a nice clean car for the rest of your trip.  Those rims look good on that car, btw! Enjoy SC!  :cheers:
Thanks!   Car is shiny for now but there is a *lot* of gooey yellow pollen here.  Hot today, too.  29 degrees C in Savannah.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5261 on: March 14, 2016, 04:11:25 pm »
For those drivers in Ontario that are receiving the Winter Tire "discount", those winters must remain on the vehicle until April 1st or you void your policy.  Temperature is irrelevant.  :P

I love to break the rules! Screw insurance companies!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5262 on: March 14, 2016, 04:12:55 pm »
....and insurance companies love when you break the rules   ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5263 on: March 14, 2016, 04:29:29 pm »
One more entry in the "Reasons not to live in Ontario" list. It's a very long list.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: March 14, 2016, 05:07:10 pm »
....and insurance companies love when you break the rules   ;D

I take advantage as much as possible.  We are entitled after all, for the way they treat us. 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #5265 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:03 pm »
Going shortly to get the Kia's tires changed over. Tempting fate I know, but we've got the Focus and Odyssey still on winters. I'll probably book the appointments for two and four weeks from now, respectively.

And it's done. Got some Motomaster SE2s for $80/tire, and everything, including taxes, and install, came to $456. Reasonable for a third car that doesn't see much highway use.

Of course, I've been reminded of why I dislike Canadian Tire:
The "service advisor" added the tire warranty without asking me first.
Then, when I ask them to remove it, another advisor chimes in that "Tire punctures cost $30 to repair, so you'd pay it off with one incident".
I point out that their website already advertises an included Warranty, which covers punctures.
She flat out denies this, and then I pull out my phone to check the website. As I do this, she admits that I'm correct and that it's indeed included.
THEN of course she acts pissed at me for the rest of the interaction ::) ::) ???

In typical CT fashion, they took an hour and a half for mounting/balancing tires, when they told me 40 minutes.

I got it done this time because it was quicker, but I'll definitely just pay the premium to get it done literally anywhere else.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: March 14, 2016, 06:14:25 pm »
My lowering seems to have firmed up the ride a bit too much for my liking.

Will raise it back up a bit.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: March 14, 2016, 06:50:08 pm »
Took the seats out of the van, to pick up carpet.  Warehouse guy looks at the van, looks at the carpet (20'x12'), need some twine.  Nope, it will fit.  12' end to end in the van! Love the practicality!

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #5268 on: March 14, 2016, 09:28:59 pm »
I went to renew the plate sticker on my car which has been in storage since November and the lady at the MTO asked if it was only insured for fire and theft after punching in the policy number.  I said yes and she said she couldn't renew it without liability insurance.  It makes sense, but I never thought about how detailed the info sharing was between insurance companies and the MTO.  I thought she said it might take up to two weeks for updated insurance info to reach the MTO database, but in hindsight, that seems like quite a long delay.     
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: March 14, 2016, 09:29:51 pm »
I went to renew the plate sticker on my car which has been in storage since November and the lady at the MTO asked if it was only insured for fire and theft after punching in the policy number.  I said yes and she said she couldn't renew it without liability insurance.  It makes sense, but I never thought about how detailed the info sharing was between insurance companies and the MTO.  I thought she said it might take up to two weeks for updated insurance info to reach the MTO database, but in hindsight, that seems like quite a long delay.   

Try doing it online.  I bet it works.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5270 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:00 pm »

You can sign a waiver right there on the spot which solves this long standing problem.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: March 14, 2016, 09:55:14 pm »
Going shortly to get the Kia's tires changed over. Tempting fate I know, but we've got the Focus and Odyssey still on winters. I'll probably book the appointments for two and four weeks from now, respectively.

And it's done. Got some Motomaster SE2s for $80/tire, and everything, including taxes, and install, came to $456. Reasonable for a third car that doesn't see much highway use.

Of course, I've been reminded of why I dislike Canadian Tire:
The "service advisor" added the tire warranty without asking me first.
Then, when I ask them to remove it, another advisor chimes in that "Tire punctures cost $30 to repair, so you'd pay it off with one incident".
I point out that their website already advertises an included Warranty, which covers punctures.
She flat out denies this, and then I pull out my phone to check the website. As I do this, she admits that I'm correct and that it's indeed included.
THEN of course she acts pissed at me for the rest of the interaction ::) ::) ???

In typical CT fashion, they took an hour and a half for mounting/balancing tires, when they told me 40 minutes.

I got it done this time because it was quicker, but I'll definitely just pay the premium to get it done literally anywhere else.

Yeah, CT has its place, but I always steel myself for BS whenever I get service there.  Last time, for a puncture repair on a tire I bought from them (repair included in warranty as mentioned above, but balancing isn't) I thought I'd just get an oil change also.  CSR comes and tells me the mechanic says the transmission fluid needs to be changed.  I say I just changed it (truthfully).  She says, "Oh" and walks out.  She comes back and says the mechanic wants to see me.  He tells me so and so on my 11 year old van needs attention soon.  Yeah, no kidding.  Funny thing is that he doesn't mention the most pressing and obvious problem, a coolant leak.  "It's okay, the van is going to be sold soon (fibbing)."  Time before that, $5 a tire charged for nitrogen instead of regular air added without my knowledge. 

So, yes, I got a really good price on some tires, but paid for it in other ways.  But honestly, I've had similar experiences (hard upsell) at most chain repair shops.  But a lot of CT stores are shady IMHO.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: March 14, 2016, 10:01:54 pm »

My plate is expired; I thought that ruled out doing it online.  I'll give it a try.

You can sign a waiver right there on the spot which solves this long standing problem.

Hmm, you'd think that she would have mentioned that.  Thanks, I'll look into that also. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: March 14, 2016, 10:16:00 pm »

My plate is expired; I thought that ruled out doing it online.  I'll give it a try.

No, it still works depending on how long it has been expired.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5274 on: March 14, 2016, 10:16:38 pm »

Hmm, you'd think that she would have mentioned that.  Thanks, I'll look into that also.

I've been running into that with the SLK for years, and I ran into it again on Friday. You're only allowed to sign the waiver once or twice (I was told once, my dad was told twice), afterwards it goes onto your record and you can't use the waiver again. On Friday I got stickers for everything but the SLK, now I need to call my insurance (tomorrow) to have it put on for April, wait 2-weeks, then go wait in line again to get a damn sticker.

I might try Ron's suggestion to try renewing online, I've never tried it and I wouldn't be surprised if it works.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:41 am »

I've been running into that with the SLK for years, and I ran into it again on Friday. You're only allowed to sign the waiver once or twice (I was told once, my dad was told twice), afterwards it goes onto your record and you can't use the waiver again. On Friday I got stickers for everything but the SLK, now I need to call my insurance (tomorrow) to have it put on for April, wait 2-weeks, then go wait in line again to get a damn sticker.

I might try Ron's suggestion to try renewing online, I've never tried it and I wouldn't be surprised if it works.

Nope, just tried online and got this message when I entered my license plate number:

The system is unable to proceed with your request. Your insurance could not be confirmed for this vehicle. Please contact your insurance provider to resolve this issue.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5276 on: March 15, 2016, 06:52:59 pm »
My American sister arrived with my regular order of USA goodies one of which was an oil catch can for the Mustang.  UPR out of Florida ... very nice quality.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: March 15, 2016, 06:56:39 pm »
My American sister arrived with my regular order of USA goodies one of which was an oil catch can for the Mustang.  UPR out of Florida ... very nice quality.

Why?  Is this a problem area?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: March 15, 2016, 08:38:40 pm »
Always a problem if you run late model strong PVC systems with tight seated ringed motors at high rpm.  I had ordered one last spring off a competitor, but it was missing a part and it took forever to return it and then the car was soon going into storage.

Until you install one and see what the take rate is you won't know the degree of need.   At $112USD delivered it is a no brainer/must have.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5279 on: March 15, 2016, 09:13:05 pm »
Jacked up each corner of the GTI to check for bad wheel bearings.

Just starting yesterday, I've been hearing a loud rumbling/whining noise at highway speeds. Sounds like tire tread whine, but seemed odd that it would start suddenly like that (tires have been on all winter.)

Anyway, all four wheels spin quietly and freely, with no play, so sure seems like all the wheel bearings are good. Maybe it really is just tire noise? Guess I'll find out when the summers go back on (hopefully in a few weeks.)