Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013229 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #4100 on: April 30, 2015, 08:17:04 pm »
GTI got new spark plugs, coil packs, engine oil and filter, manual gearbox oil, and one rear shock absorber.

The rest of the shocks (and a bunch of other stuff) should happen in the next few days.

Quick question, when you use a jack like that on the jacking points, which part of the body are you putting on the axle stands?  Or are they on the suspension arms?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4101 on: April 30, 2015, 08:28:46 pm »
GTI got new spark plugs, coil packs, engine oil and filter, manual gearbox oil, and one rear shock absorber.

The rest of the shocks (and a bunch of other stuff) should happen in the next few days.

:thumbup:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4102 on: April 30, 2015, 08:37:54 pm »

Quick question, when you use a jack like that on the jacking points, which part of the body are you putting on the axle stands?  Or are they on the suspension arms?

I put the jack at the very rear part of the jacking points, then there's just enough room to put the stands at the front of the jacking points. There's not a lot of room, so I have to use my old Crappy Tire jack 'cause it's narrower than my good jack.

I couldn't put the jack stands under the control arms because I'm going to be swapping out the control arm bushings.

Also, I was impressed with how stiff the chassis is. Jacking up the front side lifts the rear almost as much. I was able to put the jack stands all around without ever moving the jack to the rear.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #4103 on: April 30, 2015, 09:06:51 pm »

Good stuff!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4104 on: April 30, 2015, 09:16:36 pm »
Changing the shocks just for the heck of it ?  Or did the car need them?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: April 30, 2015, 09:25:06 pm »

Depends on your definition of "need." :)

They weren't blown or leaking or anything, but the car just wasn't as buttoned down as it used to be. 90,000 kms on them, so they're certainly worn.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: April 30, 2015, 09:27:54 pm »

Depends on your definition of "need." :)

They weren't blown or leaking or anything, but the car just wasn't as buttoned down as it used to be. 90,000 kms on them, so they're certainly worn.

I've never changed the shocks on my TSX  ??? 11 years old and 243 km...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: April 30, 2015, 09:29:29 pm »
I think this is the longest I've ever kept stock shocks on a car. I usually change them out around 60,000 kms. I hate float. :)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4108 on: April 30, 2015, 09:34:07 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup: Dig the OZ racing wheels

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #4109 on: April 30, 2015, 09:34:15 pm »

Damn! Nice!  :cheers:

All I got done on the Wrangler was an oil change. MTX, TC and front/rear diff oil will be sometime this summer.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4110 on: April 30, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »
I've never changed the shocks on my TSX  ??? 11 years old and 243 km...

If you are the original owner you have just got slowly use to the degradation.  By 160K km front struts on FWD cars are DONE.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4111 on: April 30, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »
I think this is the longest I've ever kept stock shocks on a car. I usually change them out around 60,000 kms. I hate float. :)

Guess it depends on your definition of float...  Isn't there a measurement that can be taken, to see how they are now, versus the new ones? 

Changed shocks on the Sentra when it was passed 200km.  And just the bushings (I think) on the Mazda5, due to bad design for that vehicle, known issue.  Yes they are different class of vehicle.  But glad to hear, it wasn't needed... First Mazda6 was great still after 110km...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #4112 on: April 30, 2015, 09:48:52 pm »
Nice work Heli! Car looks good too.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #4113 on: May 01, 2015, 11:10:08 pm »
Didn't get much done today: replaced the other rear shock, one front strut and changed the fuel filter.

Spent a bunch of time cleaning the rear fender liners and all the sand and gravel stuck behind them. It's easier to do the rear shocks if you remove the liners, so figured I may as well. Bet I took 10 lbs of grit and gravel out of there.  :P

And I also wasted an hour trying to get the wiper arms off so I could remove a plastic panel to get access to the front strut mounts. Stupid wiper arms were seized on unbelievably tight. I actually broke a puller on them and they still wouldn't come off. Finally had to pry them up with a 12" screwdriver while banging hard on the post with a hammer. It worked, but I cracked the base of the windshield in the process. Oops.

New Koni Yellows:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:12:56 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: May 02, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »
Slowly but surely... Good thing I don't do this for a living - paid by the job, I'd probably make like three bucks an hour...

Spent all day in the garage (with a quick trip to CT for supplies) and only did the other front strut, installed a dogbone mount insert (it's a VW thing :) ) and changed a couple of control arm bushings.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #4115 on: May 02, 2015, 09:42:21 pm »
you guys and your actual car work....

I switched my hard top for the soft top... that's it.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4116 on: May 02, 2015, 11:09:16 pm »
oh wow Heli.   that's some serious work there, Heli.

how the heck do you keep the fender liners so clean???S?!?!?!

i just switched the winters off the VW.  the passenger side front shock is blown. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: May 03, 2015, 04:52:15 pm »
Slowly but surely... Good thing I don't do this for a living - paid by the job, I'd probably make like three bucks an hour...

Spent all day in the garage (with a quick trip to CT for supplies) and only did the other front strut, installed a dogbone mount insert (it's a VW thing :) ) and changed a couple of control arm bushings.

Great work heli!

the passenger side front shock is blown. 

Hope it won't cost too much?

--------------------------------

Went to a miata club meet early this morning (over 100 miatas!) and drove our NC (3rd gen) miata and got to drive it through some countryside ( :D) before having to go work ( >:().

It was the first time I drove it as much since we got the Goodwin Racing header and exhaust, and man, this is the way it should have come from the factory. I understand mod-diction now. Uh-oh... :P

It also cemented my sense that I love driving a nice manual on weekends, but prefer my lazy auto/ DSG for the daily commute to/from work.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: May 03, 2015, 05:39:38 pm »

Great work heli!

Went to a miata club meet early this morning (over 100 miatas!) and drove our NC (3rd gen) miata and got to drive it through some countryside ( :D) before having to go work ( >:().

It was the first time I drove it as much since we got the Goodwin Racing header and exhaust, and man, this is the way it should have come from the factory. I understand mod-diction now. Uh-oh... :P

It also cemented my sense that I love driving a nice manual on weekends, but prefer my lazy auto/ DSG for the daily commute to/from work.

Do you have a sound clip?  ;D

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: May 03, 2015, 05:46:35 pm »

Great work heli!

Do you have a sound clip?  ;D

The sound has matured after break-in, so I'm planning to record next weekend.

I've also got the optional (regular) baffles in. I'm a woman, I can't take too loud.  ;D

The best thing though is the added hp and torque. On a car that doesn't weigh very much, changes in hp and torque make an appreciable difference through the butt-o-meter...  :D