Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013223 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #4080 on: April 28, 2015, 10:31:28 pm »
Skin cancer perhaps  ???

I don't drive with the top down or sun roof open in high sun.  I spend every possible day on a boat so I get enough sun.

Last few posts definitely dumbest of the week.   :cheers:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #4081 on: April 28, 2015, 11:27:17 pm »
Skin cancer perhaps  ???

I don't drive with the top down or sun roof open in high sun.  I spend every possible day on a boat so I get enough sun.

Last few posts definitely dumbest of the week.   :cheers:

I don't like top down in high sun either...early morning, evening or night for me please. The SLK has a black interior and I am frying in a few minutes if there's a hot sun beating down on me.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4082 on: April 28, 2015, 11:30:49 pm »
Washed it.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4083 on: April 28, 2015, 11:34:54 pm »
I could maybe see myself buying an S2000 some day, just because it's so awesome. But I promise you'd never see me driving it with the top down. Well, maybe once a year on some deserted country road, but only in the evening when it's warm, but not hot. Heck, I'd probably just get a hard top for the thing and be done with it.

Funny, but if I see I guy in the city with the top down, I just think "Poor bastard. That looks horrible to be baking in the sun, going deaf from the noise, and sucking back all that unfiltered smog."

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: April 28, 2015, 11:42:58 pm »
I could maybe see myself buying an S2000 some day, just because it's so awesome. But I promise you'd never see me driving it with the top down. Well, maybe once a year on some deserted country road, but only in the evening when it's warm, but not hot. Heck, I'd probably just get a hard top for the thing and be done with it.

Funny, but if I see I guy in the city with the top down, I just think "Poor bastard. That looks horrible to be baking in the sun, going deaf from the noise, and sucking back all that unfiltered smog."

I think the S2000 is quieter with the top down at some speeds...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #4085 on: April 28, 2015, 11:55:51 pm »

I'm not a convertible person. I love miatas only because of the way they drive. I could have the hardtop on all year.

My husband, on the other hand, would drive with the top down starting in March if he could. It's down all the time.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4086 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:29 am »
In my cars with moonroofs, I usually open them up first thing when getting in the car if both conditions are met:

1. Weather is conducive (no rain, snow, or temperature extremes or Air con usage)
2. No intent on driving prolonged speeds >100km/h.

I really miss the panoramic roof on my old X3......I used that big roof so much! Then again perhaps growing up and living in the Southern US, my tolerance of sun and heat is better. I don't even bother with Air Con in the car unless it's above 30°.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4087 on: April 29, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »

I have to agree.  Even in the UK driving with the roof down on a hot Summer's day can be a pain in the ass, especially with an all black interior.  Mornings and evenings are where it's at.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: April 29, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »
Wasted another twenty minutes of my life dealing with that flat front tire again.  >:(

As you may recall from previous posts of mine, I had a flat tire "fixed" three times and it still wouldn't hold air. So I took it to the city, to an expensive specialty tire shop, to have it properly fixed once and for all. But they told me the tire had been patched so badly before that it was now no longer repairable. So, $280 later, I drive away with a new tire.

But as I drive, the vibration is horrible. Like really bad, and a shimmy through the wheel so I just know it's the new tire they supposedly balanced. FFS.  >:(

So I plan on taking it back for a rebalance, but then start to wonder how they could screw it up so bad in the first place? Well, today I took the wheel off and found out. Facking monkeys didn't install the hub-centering ring properly! It wasn't seated properly, and the metal retaining ring was twisted out of place and had gouged both the ring and the inner face of my O.Z. rims. I had to reshape the twisted ring and sand out the gouges, but hopefully it will be fine.

Going to go back to the shop anyway and let them know I'm not happy. The only reason I took it all the way to the city was because I didn't trust the local yokels with my expensive rims. Silly me.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:48:15 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #4089 on: April 29, 2015, 06:26:20 pm »
Wasted another twenty minutes of my life dealing with that flat front tire again.  >:(

As you may recall from previous posts of mine, I had a flat tire "fixed" three times and it still wouldn't hold air. So I took it to the city, to an expensive specialty tire shop, to have it properly fixed once and for all. But they told me the tire had been patched so badly before that it was now no longer repairable. So, $280 later, I drive away with a new tire.

But as I drive, the vibration is horrible. Like really bad, and a shimmy through the wheel so I just know it's the new tire they supposedly balanced. FFS.  >:(

So I plan on taking it back for a rebalance, but then start to wonder how they could screw it up so bad in the first place? Well, today I took the wheel off and found out. Facking monkeys didn't install the hub-centering ring properly! It wasn't seated properly, and the metal retaining ring was twisted out of place and had gouged both the ring and the inner face of my O.Z. rims. I had to reshape the twisted ring and sand out the gouges, but hopefully it will be fine.

Going to go back to the shop anyway and let them know I'm not happy. The only reason I took it all the way to the city was because I didn't trust the local yokels with my expensive rims. Silly me.  ::)

Man, that sucks.  >:(  I would have been ticked off too. You go to a specialty shop for that specific purpose, and get crappy work to reward you.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4090 on: April 29, 2015, 06:31:06 pm »
Car repairs are the worst when they're not done right the first time. Good luck.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: April 29, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »
Made it to the city and back and the car drives fine, so I guess no lasting damage done.

I spoke with the manager at the shop and he was very apologetic. He says they deal with aftermarket rims all the time and are very aware of the hub rings. I guess mine are a little unusual in that there is a snap ring that is meant to hold the hub ring to the wheel. If the hub ring comes out of the wheel, you need to massage it back into place and make sure the snap ring engages. The tech must have just thought it was a regular hub ring and didn't make sure the snap ring went where it was supposed to. Still, it should be obvious if you pay even the slightest attention.

Anyway, they offered to give me a free mount and balance on my next set of tires, which I appreciate. Even after this, I think they're still probably one of the better shops in town, so I guess I'll go back.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: April 29, 2015, 07:06:47 pm »
Made it to the city and back and the car drives fine, so I guess no lasting damage done.

I spoke with the manager at the shop and he was very apologetic. He says they deal with aftermarket rims all the time and are very aware of the hub rings. I guess mine are a little unusual in that there is a snap ring that is meant to hold the hub ring to the wheel. If the hub ring comes out of the wheel, you need to massage it back into place and make sure the snap ring engages. The tech must have just thought it was a regular hub ring and didn't make sure the snap ring went where it was supposed to. Still, it should be obvious if you pay even the slightest attention.

Anyway, they offered to give me a free mount and balance on my next set of tires, which I appreciate. Even after this, I think they're still probably one of the better shops in town, so I guess I'll go back.

Roadforce balance?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: April 29, 2015, 07:15:24 pm »
^^ They have a Roadforce balancer at the shop, but I didn't want to pay extra for it. Regular balance is $15 per wheel, Roadforce is $30.

I usually just get the regular balance. If there are issues, then I'll go back and get the Roadforce. I think the last time I got a Roadforce balance was around 2004.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4094 on: April 29, 2015, 09:35:55 pm »
Which shop heli?

Sounds like a good customer service.

Even Reputable shops make mistakes for sure..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: April 29, 2015, 09:42:48 pm »
^^ Harper's Tire in Crowfoot.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #4096 on: April 29, 2015, 10:10:38 pm »
I'd be losing my mind at that point as well...At least they tried to make good though.

FWIW I won't mount tires anymore without roadforce, it does cost more but I am sensitive to that stuff so to me it's money well spent.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: April 30, 2015, 04:26:51 pm »
The Grand Vitara got new tires, Michelin Latitude Touring LRR, to replace the oem tires being used as summer tires.  The 8-year old oem tires still have an mm or so above the wear lines, but they definitely aquaplane more easily and the value of wearing down that last mm isn't worth the risk of an accident.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #4098 on: April 30, 2015, 07:58:36 pm »
GTI got new spark plugs, coil packs, engine oil and filter, manual gearbox oil, and one rear shock absorber.

The rest of the shocks (and a bunch of other stuff) should happen in the next few days.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: April 30, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
^^Sweet!!  When does the flash go on?   ;D