Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012304 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3760 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:55 am »
If that doesn't work just drive it around the block until the wheels fall off.  :rofl2:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3761 on: February 08, 2015, 11:20:51 am »
Yup.  Tried kicking.  That's my go-to for all my problems :rofl2:

Didn't work.

I don't have sledge hammer... 

Tried lowering the car with all lugbolt removed..
Didn't work...

Last thing I can try is loosening the lugs and driving around until wheels fall off.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3762 on: February 08, 2015, 11:27:34 am »
^ Well that sucks. 

Have you tried heat like KD suggested?  Could also try applying some anti-rust spray (liquid wrench, fluid film) and let it sit for a while, if you have the time.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3763 on: February 08, 2015, 11:28:45 am »
I have had this happen on one of my GTIs years ago.  I lay on my back and kick alternately with left and right foot as hard as I could.   Took about 10 kicks.

After that I used a tiny smear of antiseize on the mating surfaces when I put the wheels back on. No more problems.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3764 on: February 08, 2015, 11:31:38 am »
I have had this happen on one of my GTIs years ago.  I lay on my back and kick alternately with left and right foot as hard as I could.   Took about 10 kicks.

After that I used a tiny smear of antiseize on the mating surfaces when I put the wheels back on. No more problems.

Tried kicking at least fifty times......   ;D I like kicking.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #3765 on: February 08, 2015, 11:43:17 am »
Next time put some anti-seize on the hub prior to mounting.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #3766 on: February 08, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »

Didn't work.

Didn't work...

Last thing I can try is loosening the lugs and driving around until wheels fall off.

Aqua, are you in Calgary? I can visit with my sledgehammer and extra jacks if needed.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: February 08, 2015, 12:59:35 pm »

Didn't work.

Didn't work...

Aqua, are you in Calgary? I can visit with my sledgehammer and extra jacks if needed.

Nice of you to offer, ipolski!  but i'm all the way south.   if my driving around with lugs loosened doesn't work, i'll give you a shout!

LOL, yeah, this ain't my first wheel change guys.   i would have, but the last time it was done was at Costco when mounting the new all season tire earlier last year.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #3768 on: February 08, 2015, 01:23:03 pm »

Didn't work.

Didn't work...

Nice of you to offer, ipolski!  but i'm all the way south.   if my driving around with lugs loosened doesn't work, i'll give you a shout!

LOL, yeah, this ain't my first wheel change guys.   i would have, but the last time it was done was at Costco when mounting the new all season tire earlier last year.

I'm in Cranston. ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: February 08, 2015, 03:07:36 pm »
You'd think a sledgehammer would work. I've used that a number of times and it did the trick.
Maybe the car is trying to tell you something. You didn't change to my winters so I'm going to teach you a lesson. ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: February 08, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »
I'm all done now.  It took a good 10 minute driving around the neighborhood to loosen the driver side rear.

And changed the oil.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3771 on: February 09, 2015, 03:57:15 pm »
Lifted the hood of the Trans Am to check a couple things and noticed a little ground wire broken on the front  crossmember. Repair it with a new ring terminal, cleaned up the ground and now both headlight motors are working!! Woot! Now headlight motor rebuilding for me! (yet).
Have done almost nothing else to the car since I got it, damn weather. Getting anxious to get it on the road.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: February 09, 2015, 04:30:11 pm »
Lifted the hood of the Trans Am to check a couple things and noticed a little ground wire broken on the front  crossmember. Repair it with a new ring terminal, cleaned up the ground and now both headlight motors are working!! Woot! Now headlight motor rebuilding for me! (yet).
Have done almost nothing else to the car since I got it, damn weather. Getting anxious to get it on the road.

Nothing like fixing one thing and you kill two birds with one stone.  :thumbup:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3773 on: February 09, 2015, 04:44:31 pm »

usually other way around (for me anyway), fix one thing, and something else breaks, usually a bigger problem!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: February 09, 2015, 04:46:07 pm »

usually other way around (for me anyway), fix one thing, and something else breaks, usually a bigger problem!

:rofl2:  I've had those days.  Still do.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3775 on: February 09, 2015, 05:42:20 pm »
realized my new jeep has either no, or a much less effective "knock-over", "reverse gate" or whatever you want to call it that prevents shifts to reverse when moving forward....

thing can go right into reverse at any speed.... surprised me a bit... i was thinking... "hmmm... this doesn't feel like the right position... i'm going to put it into 6th gently".... GGGGRRRRRRRRRRR..

whoops! have to be a bit more careful! i'm sure once it breaks in, the shifts will be a bit smoother and i'll notice a much bigger difference between jumping the gate and just going to 6th. i rarely skip 5th, so it's no big deal...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3776 on: February 09, 2015, 08:00:06 pm »
had the opposite problem when I first got the Mazda6, getting into reverse quickly was tricky.  Had to remember to push down, my other manuals, I didn't have to push down. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3777 on: February 10, 2015, 02:28:40 pm »
yeah, as i said, not too big a deal... but coming from a nearly identical car, you notice the little things like that... i also feel like the shift positioning is slightly different... for example, the gear don't all engage equally... it feel like 3rd travels an extra cm into the gear whereas 4th hardly gets into gear at all all the way into the gate... maybe it's misaligned or something... not sure if it's worth attempting to adjust it...

the other thing i did was book it to get a new windshield put in tomorrow... i was getting a wind leak i didn't like, and noticed that there was salt actually getting into the cabin... so it was a pretty obvious leak! the jobber we get to look at these things just laughed and said that there was no point in fixing, might as well replace...

as i said last jeep at about this km (500)... can't expect these things to last forever!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:50:53 pm by tooscoops »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3778 on: February 10, 2015, 03:34:42 pm »
Drove around with the roof open. If I knew it was going to be this nice I would have went out for a bike ride.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3779 on: February 10, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »
yeah, as i said, not too big a deal... but coming from a nearly identical car, you notice the little things like that... i also feel like the shift positioning is slightly different... for example, the gear don't all engage equally... it feel like 3rd travels an extra cm into the gear whereas 4th hardly gets into gear at all all the way into the gate... maybe it's misaligned or something... not sure if it's worth attempting to adjust it...

the other thing i did was book it to get a new windshield put in tomorrow... i was getting a wind leak i didn't like, and noticed that there was salt actually getting into the cabin... so it was a pretty obvious leak! the jobber we get to look at these things just laughed and said that there was no point in fixing, might as well replace...

as i said last jeep at about this km (500)... can't expect these things to last forever!

Wow, that's unacceptable.