Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012138 times)

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3740 on: February 06, 2015, 11:52:55 pm »
Yes, at this point I am very pro-OEM for wiper blades. You know you're getting quality for a couple bucks more ultimately.

Oddly I am pretty sure that the Mercedes OEM blades are made by Bosch too, just a better grade of product.

So are BMW and VW but it's just not the same quality for some strange reason. OEM all the way.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: February 07, 2015, 12:00:42 am »
Not installed yet, getting the mental strength to get started: cylinder head covers and timing cover gaskets for the 540. There is a small leak, seepage really, small enough that it doesn't show up on the dipstick, but the smell of burned oil when it gets on the exhaust just drives me nuts.  I was quoted 8hrs, it's 9hrs by the book.  Probably gonna take me two days or so plus fair amount of beer.... But that's just fine, I actually enjoy working on the cars, especially when it is relatively easy job to do.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3742 on: February 07, 2015, 12:47:01 am »
Not installed yet, getting the mental strength to get started: cylinder head covers and timing cover gaskets for the 540. There is a small leak, seepage really, small enough that it doesn't show up on the dipstick, but the smell of burned oil when it gets on the exhaust just drives me nuts. I was quoted 8hrs, it's 9hrs by the book.  Probably gonna take me two days or so plus fair amount of beer.... But that's just fine, I actually enjoy working on the cars, especially when it is relatively easy job to do.

me too!  i had seepage from oil pan gasket, took me 21 hours! 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3743 on: February 07, 2015, 01:42:21 am »
Not installed yet, getting the mental strength to get started: cylinder head covers and timing cover gaskets for the 540. There is a small leak, seepage really, small enough that it doesn't show up on the dipstick, but the smell of burned oil when it gets on the exhaust just drives me nuts.  I was quoted 8hrs, it's 9hrs by the book.  Probably gonna take me two days or so plus fair amount of beer.... But that's just fine, I actually enjoy working on the cars, especially when it is relatively easy job to do.

540?? Are we talking BMW or a stroked big block V8??

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3744 on: February 07, 2015, 05:32:43 am »
Random musings on the above.

-15k OCI on a Civic on dino? You sure? ??? I only get 9k on the TL and was about the same on the TSX. Its only a 4.4L capacity.

Umm, yeah very sure.  The oil is changed once the maintenance minder comes on, which has been no less than 15k so far during my wife's 60k ownership.
0W-20?  Probably syn or syn blend, no?
Our 2013 Fit came with Honda's 0w-20 syn ( or blend ?) and gets a change when the maint minder says so  or once a year.  The maint minder seems to count down to about 15-16k but that car only does 8k a year usually.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3745 on: February 07, 2015, 06:55:58 am »

-15k OCI on a Civic on dino? You sure? ??? I only get 9k on the TL and was about the same on the TSX. Its only a 4.4L capacity.

Umm, yeah very sure.  The oil is changed once the maintenance minder comes on, which has been no less than 15k so far during my wife's 60k ownership.
Our 2013 Fit came with Honda's 0w-20 syn ( or blend ?) and gets a change when the maint minder says so  or once a year.  The maint minder seems to count down to about 15-16k but that car only does 8k a year usually.
Our CRV OCI usually ends up being around the 12-13k mark.  A lot of short trips.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3746 on: February 07, 2015, 07:44:18 am »

I think 0W20 is usually fully SYN.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3747 on: February 07, 2015, 09:28:34 am »
Yes, at this point I am very pro-OEM for wiper blades. You know you're getting quality for a couple bucks more ultimately.

Oddly I am pretty sure that the Mercedes OEM blades are made by Bosch too, just a better grade of product.

Bosch makes wiper blades OEM for many cars.  I haven't compared the actual wiper at crappy tire vs the dealer before.  Speaking of wipers.  I really miss a rear wiper.  My 1st gen Mazda6 was the sport, so it had a rear wiper, then I had the Mazda5, rear wiper.  Last summer I mostly drove the Odyssey, rear wiper.  Now when I look out back and see rain/snow on the back window in the Mazda6 it bothers me.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3748 on: February 07, 2015, 02:45:02 pm »

Toyota 0W20 comes in two forms.  One is a "synthetic blend"  and is supplied in bulk by Petro Canada. $5.23 litre. The other is by the 1 litre bottle and about twice the cost.  It's only identified by the words "genuine synthetic".  Manufacturer unknown.

Honda/Acura's bulk 0W20 is also supplied by Petro Canada.

Regardless of being a "blend" or "100%" or "fully", all are no greater than Group 3 or "severely hydrocracked".  Generally, the "German" spec synthetics are Group 4.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: February 07, 2015, 02:56:04 pm »
Not installed yet, getting the mental strength to get started: cylinder head covers and timing cover gaskets for the 540. There is a small leak, seepage really, small enough that it doesn't show up on the dipstick, but the smell of burned oil when it gets on the exhaust just drives me nuts. I was quoted 8hrs, it's 9hrs by the book.  Probably gonna take me two days or so plus fair amount of beer.... But that's just fine, I actually enjoy working on the cars, especially when it is relatively easy job to do.

me too!  i had seepage from oil pan gasket, took me 21 hours!

Wow, sounds like it was a fun weekend  ;D

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3750 on: February 07, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »

540?? Are we talking BMW or a stroked big block V8??

Sent from my Galaxy S3

LOL, BMW.  I don't even know what "big block" means.... :rofl:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3751 on: February 07, 2015, 06:02:01 pm »

Toyota 0W20 comes in two forms.  One is a "synthetic blend"  and is supplied in bulk by Petro Canada. $5.23 litre. The other is by the 1 litre bottle and about twice the cost.  It's only identified by the words "genuine synthetic".  Manufacturer unknown.

Honda/Acura's bulk 0W20 is also supplied by Petro Canada.

Regardless of being a "blend" or "100%" or "fully", all are no greater than Group 3 or "severely hydrocracked".  Generally, the "German" spec synthetics are Group 4.

I disagree, fully synthetic (grp III / grp IV) is just that, hydrocracked or not.  A part synthetic (blend) has a proportion of (grp I / grp II) normal dino oil in it, so is cheaper, and less effective.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3752 on: February 07, 2015, 09:18:55 pm »
Group 1,2,3 are all hydrocracked oils just at different levels of intensity so to speak.  The American definition for "synthetic oil" was changed in the late 1990s and Group 3, described as "severely hydrocracked", is now accepted as a "synthetic".  Only Group 4 oils are actually synthetic, commonly referred to as "the German stuff" aka API Group IV Polyalphaolefins, 100% Synthetic chemical compound.

As for 0W20; the Toyota stuff is a "synthetic blend", identified as such, goes into most of their current vehicles and supplied by PetroCanada.  It will not be a 100% Group 3 oil and certainly not a Group 4.  Guessing that the majority of the stock will be Group 2.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3753 on: February 08, 2015, 12:01:25 am »
tried to switch to winter tires for the VW...

front 2 are changed, rear two are stuck on tight.... can't get it to dismount.   >:( 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #3754 on: February 08, 2015, 12:03:38 am »
Didn't winter start a long time ago  ???

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: February 08, 2015, 12:07:25 am »
Didn't winter start a long time ago  ???

been super lazy, and my all season is soooooo good with all the weather we had so far, i just kept pushing it back.. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3756 on: February 08, 2015, 07:02:09 am »

front 2 are changed, rear two are stuck on tight.... can't get it to dismount.   >:(

Time to use Thor's hammer to free those wheels.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3757 on: February 08, 2015, 07:34:39 am »

Have you given them a few good kicks?  That usually works for me, plus a little grease on the mating surfaces prior to mounting  ;).

Is this on the Rabbit?  My neighbour asked for me to help him switch to his winters on his Jetta.  We couldn't get the passenger rear off; kicking, screaming, sledge hammer, nothing worked.  He had to take it to a shop.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:34:06 am by bridgecity »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3758 on: February 08, 2015, 07:49:37 am »

I wonder if heating them up a bit with a torch and then giving them a whack would help...?

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #3759 on: February 08, 2015, 08:45:26 am »

In case the kicks and hammer don't work... Are you using a floor jack? If so, try lowering the car slowly (really slowly) until the weight of that corner of the car starts to be applied to the wheel in question. It should be able to break the bond. If you've got axle stands under it don't forget to remove those first  :D Once that bond is broken you can then jack that corner back up, throw your axle stand under, and swap wheels/tires.