Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011867 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3360 on: November 03, 2014, 05:37:00 pm »
Had a bit of bad luck this morning. We had our first snowfall yesterday/last night and it was more significant than what would expect from the season opener. I have a very long driveway (about 250'), and three cars with performance summer tires. I'm at the end of the route for my plow guy so I knew he wasn't coming anytime soon, if at all (amount of snow was on the border of him coming or not)

My first thought was to take the 3 because its tires are literally brand new, but it was parked outside and covered in various layers of ice and snow. So I decided to take the 6 instead — with pretty bare tires. The roads were clear, it was just a matter of getting onto the road. So I back out of the garage, try to turn around, and I'm promptly stuck in 4" of slush, ice, and snow. I get moving again, but I didn't want to risk further issues so I backed up as close to the garage as I could. There's a good 40' sloped portion of the driveway directly before the garage so I knew I wasn't going to be able to get into the garage.

Was within extension cord distance of the garage meaning I could get my electric impact driver to reach the car so I swapped my winter wheels on the front axle. Awesome! Now I'll just back it into the garage and swap the rears on. Except, as I back into the garage all of a sudden my exhaust sounds way louder. After I'm parked I crawl under and see part of my exhaust laying on the garage floor. Dammit.

So I worked from home, and after I finished putting on my rear winters, I temporarily "fixed" the exhaust. Hopefully this will get me to the dealership.  ;D

Hopefully it doesn't melt.   You should add some duct tape for good measure  ;)
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 03, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »
Bought a new shock for the Forester..

Just one?

Yep.  Went to a wrecker and got a shock and spring.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3362 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:15 pm »
Enjoyed the Story Oliver. Some days are just like that.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:09 am »
Cleaned the 5 for the first time in forever.  It was an unmitigated disaster.  Fortunately our neigbours run a carpet cleaning business so I had access to a commercial grade cleaner.  It made light work of the mess and the car looks fantastic.

Then yesterday it got an oil change and two new stabilizer links* put in.  A clean car that is no longer clunking, feels like a whole new car.

*this was a recurring issue with my Protege5.  It's disappointing that Mazda hasn't learned anything.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3364 on: November 04, 2014, 10:39:26 am »

Then yesterday it got an oil change and two new stabilizer links* put in.  A clean car that is no longer clunking, feels like a whole new car.

*this was a recurring issue with my Protege5.  It's disappointing that Mazda hasn't learned anything.

This has been a Mazda thing since forever.  I remember replacing them on my brother's RX-7 25 years ago.
Mr Pickypants

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3365 on: November 04, 2014, 12:29:02 pm »
had my jeep scheduled to re-do the paint flaw that came back (finally)... so brought it in and get a message that the body shop is busy and will have to look at it next week...

i had the warranty claim put in at 1500kms... sure they "fixed" it once already, but it came right back in a week or so and now i have about 11000kms and still have the same issue....

and i fricken work here... the shop thinks because i'm here every day, they'll have plenty of time to get to it... and fine.. IF THEY ACTUALLY GET TO IT... getting pissed... and they wonder why regular customers get mad at them.. they have no ability to empathize.

oh, and i got my grill insert delivered yesterday. i'll try to get it in tonight if i get a few minutes to spare.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3366 on: November 04, 2014, 01:12:17 pm »
Placed winters on rims on the Forester. I no longer go through the grief of doing it on the slightly slanted asphalt for a number of reasons. I know take the car into my concrete garage, do one side and reverse and do the other. Have to get me a better torque wrench than my old non exact needle type.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:34:19 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3367 on: November 04, 2014, 04:29:24 pm »
Cleaned the 5 for the first time in forever.  It was an unmitigated disaster.  Fortunately our neigbours run a carpet cleaning business so I had access to a commercial grade cleaner.  It made light work of the mess and the car looks fantastic.

Mine were replaced under warranty.  Just got word I can expect my new Mazda6 on Friday.  So last few days with the Mazda5 for me.  They had one similar on the lot, except no leather, and are asking $13,999.  I figure it's about $1500 overpriced.  Similar mileage to mine (85k), they gave me $10k for mine. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3368 on: November 04, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »
had my jeep scheduled to re-do the paint flaw that came back (finally)... so brought it in and get a message that the body shop is busy and will have to look at it next week...

i had the warranty claim put in at 1500kms... sure they "fixed" it once already, but it came right back in a week or so and now i have about 11000kms and still have the same issue....

and i fricken work here... the shop thinks because i'm here every day, they'll have plenty of time to get to it... and fine.. IF THEY ACTUALLY GET TO IT... getting pissed... and they wonder why regular customers get mad at them.. they have no ability to empathize.

oh, and i got my grill insert delivered yesterday. i'll try to get it in tonight if i get a few minutes to spare.
one of my colleague's son bought a new wrangler a few months back and had the same issue.  He was livid, given that his was loaded (literally every option box ticked).

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3369 on: November 04, 2014, 05:21:59 pm »
this is the first one i have seen like it... sure i've seen fisheyes, or other flaws (a hair in the clearcoat for example!)... but this just sucks. and the body shop is acting like they don't know what the heck it is or how to fix it.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3370 on: November 04, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »
I'd be demanding that they replace the door (or at least the door skin). My bet is that something is going on with the metal itself in that area

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3371 on: November 04, 2014, 08:50:45 pm »
I'd be demanding that they replace the door (or at least the door skin). My bet is that something is going on with the metal itself in that area

This....apparently the body shop is amateur hour and this would be the easiest route.....or, get a T50 torx and get one off the lot....just saying.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3372 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:26 pm »

one of my colleague's son bought a new wrangler a few months back and had the same issue.  He was livid, given that his was loaded (literally every option box ticked).

What does it matter if it's loaded or not? Unacceptable either way.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 05, 2014, 03:24:07 pm »
agree about the loaded or not point... people buy what they want or what they can afford... sure a used lada will be expected to have more problems than a new cadillac, but a certain level of quality should be expected.

Due to mine being a willy's wheeler, it's slightly different, so i'd have a bit of frankensteining to do to get the door switched... a couple trim bits and such... but it might come to that. i was only planning on keeping it a short time so i would have really enjoyed not having this issue for almost the whole time i owned it.

i'll let the shop try one more fix. if it doesn't work to my satisfaction, i'll find another way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 05, 2014, 05:54:05 pm »
The Forester is the easiest car on the planet to do an oil change on...geez.

Up on Rhino ramps and everything is easily reached without actually having to get under the car.  Awesome.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3375 on: November 05, 2014, 07:14:17 pm »
Highlander might even be easier, everything is so easy to reach. I can change the oil in all the cars without raising them. I can fit under the Corolla, and use a LiquiVac on the Miata.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: November 05, 2014, 07:24:04 pm »
Highlander might even be easier, everything is so easy to reach. I can change the oil in all the cars without raising them. I can fit under the Corolla, and use a LiquiVac on the Miata.

Are you a midget? 

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: November 05, 2014, 08:37:07 pm »

Are you a midget?

:ttiwwp:
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3378 on: November 05, 2014, 08:38:57 pm »
Just lean enough and long armed enough that I can do an oil change on the Corolla without raising it.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:52 pm »
Just lean enough and long armed enough that I can do an oil change on the Corolla without raising it.

I see.  I bought a Qwik Valve (still need to install it) and my filter is on top of the engine so my changes will get easier.