Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013004 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3040 on: September 05, 2014, 08:41:25 pm »
Logged nearly 400km bombing across the bible belt in southern Manitoba in the Berlin taxi Prairie Schooner. Beautiful sunny day with harvest under way...smells like money out there.

The car was great, stretched its legs a bit. Mercedes' carry speed well.

Stay out of the newspaper, you super speeder!  :nono:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »
Replaced the oil filter and cabin air filter on the GLK.

At Rockauto the parts cost about $12 and $15. At the dealer, $25 and $70. Insane.

Was going to do the engine air filters too but they still looked super clean so I didn't bother.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 07, 2014, 12:18:23 am »
Got dashcams installed in both cars now:

Last night, the type of thing they should be handy for (capture from the original, so not quite as good a quality):

http://youtu.be/TPIP57fAZzY?list=UUmqZrBvBDwOD6yBTsWHf7XA

Does your cam support audio recording?

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #3043 on: September 07, 2014, 09:18:07 am »
Plan to dust it inside and remove what I hope is a spot of tar by the door handle

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #3044 on: September 07, 2014, 04:05:27 pm »
I had to buy a new battery for the Cobra.

A friend and I were going to head out to Bandit Motorsports in Plantagenet for a car show and, just as we were about to leave his place, the Cobra would no longer start.  It didn't seem quite right either when I left the house this morning, or when I started it up at the gas station.

We tried to figure out what the problem might be, as it sounded like the starter solenoid wasn't fully engaging the flywheel and the engine wouldn't catch.  We took my old battery in to be tested; it still had plenty of volts, but only 1/3 of the cold cranking amps.

Bought a new battery, installed it and it fired right up.  Hopefully that's the end of that problem...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:55:41 am by Scarecrow »
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3045 on: September 07, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »
That sucks that u had to get new battery but hope thats good for few years.

I cleaned the interior or rabbit and went for a drive in the bimmer.

Everything's kosher.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3046 on: September 07, 2014, 10:31:23 pm »
Installed a new soft top on the spitfire (see show and shine)

Also charged the batteries in the Sonoma and SLK because it's been weeks since they've been started :(

Washed the rims on the Firebird....No time to do the whole car, but don't wanna deal with brake dust stains.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #3047 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:27 pm »
clay-barred the front of the focus... no more unsightly insect stains... tomorrow I'll wax the car

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: September 08, 2014, 09:27:50 am »
The modern farmer must always keep appraised of market developments. :)

http://quotes.ino.com/charting/index.html?s=CBOT_C.Z14&t=&a=&w=&v=d12

Northernridge

« Reply #3049 on: September 08, 2014, 12:16:00 pm »
Logged nearly 400km bombing across the bible belt in southern Manitoba in the Berlin taxi Prairie Schooner. Beautiful sunny day with harvest under way...smells like money out there.

That's not money...that's the smell of cut crops growing on the field (I guess that'd be money burning then).  Kid said they cut (?? I forget) 2 weeks ago...then it started raining.  Started to sprout before they could get it off the field.  -$2/bu now, or worse...can't seem to win either way this year.

Commodity prices aren't bad. The dude I met with is another multi-millionaire farmer with an off-farm business being financed by venture capitalists in Canada and the US...I'm pretty sure it smelled like money. Remember, farmers maintain a perpetual sense of crisis...it's how they manipulate policy makers and create sympathy among urban folk.  ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3050 on: September 08, 2014, 08:00:49 pm »
Nice day to work outside, 3 lawns cut, and worked on the vehicles a bit.

Changed the oil on the Mazda5.  Took me a little while to jack it properly with 2 stands, the skirt interferes with the floor jack. Hate removing the plastic cover that's underneath where the drain plug and oil filter is.  I will leave it off, hopefully it's not noisy. 

Also worked on the primary lawnmower.  Would stall after a few seconds.  Had the same problem 1 month ago.  Cleaning the carb resolves it.  This time added fuel injector to the gas.  Hopefully this resolves it.  Only a few weeks left to go.   

Wish I had time to wash the cars, getting pretty bad.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:24 pm »

That's not money...that's the smell of cut crops growing on the field (I guess that'd be money burning then).  Kid said they cut (?? I forget) 2 weeks ago...then it started raining.  Started to sprout before they could get it off the field.  -$2/bu now, or worse...can't seem to win either way this year.

Commodity prices aren't bad. The dude I met with is another multi-millionaire farmer with an off-farm business being financed by venture capitalists in Canada and the US...I'm pretty sure it smelled like money. Remember, farmers maintain a perpetual sense of crisis...it's how they manipulate policy makers and create sympathy among urban folk.  ;)

Certainly very true in the US. Wasn't aware how true it was in Canada.

Ethanol lobby...say no more.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:21 pm »

Most of the farm houses around here certainly look to be well above average.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3053 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:05 pm »

Some of the wealthiest people I know are "poor" Southern Ontario land owner "farmers"  Cottage up north, winter home in Florida...its a hard go.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3054 on: September 08, 2014, 10:20:55 pm »
LOL local farmer roughing it with 8 race cars lol

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3055 on: September 08, 2014, 10:24:40 pm »
LOL....must raise the taxes of the +150k gang so they can be subsidized more!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3056 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:33 am »

Some of the wealthiest people I know are "poor" Southern Ontario land owner "farmers"  Cottage up north, winter home in Florida...its a hard go.

when I changed locations for my job... (from a city branch to pretty much farm country)
first thing my boss said was "don't let anyone fool you, there's no such thing as a poor farmer"
she did say there are a few exceptions...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3057 on: September 09, 2014, 04:15:55 pm »
Stopped for gas in the middle of BFNowhere and noticed a tire looked low. Got out the gauge and measured it at 15psi. Uh, oh.

Took it to the Ford dealership across the street and gave the keys to a grease-covered yokel who hopped in my pristine car to pull it into the shop.  :-\

Crossing my fingers that he doesn't treat my O.Z. rims like they're off a beat-up F350. I'm scared.  :'(

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3058 on: September 09, 2014, 04:43:22 pm »
driving the Matrix for one final time! 

bye bye Matrix

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263