Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013838 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2800 on: July 02, 2014, 12:28:26 pm »
toe was out on my patriot too.. never even noticed any drive difference or tie wear... ah well. got that fixed.

so i didn't mention it, but my new jeep has a pretty severe paint flaw... i noticed it when i first washed it a month ago... so i have to get warranty to paint my drivers side door. annoying to say the least, but i can't live with it as is....

if i'm able to get a pic, i'll post it... basically, it looks like a 6" by 2" strip was painted with a brush... or possibly that the metal under the paint had something on it so the paint didn't adhere properly... how it slipped through i have no idea.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2801 on: July 02, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Drove to North Bay today for a meeting. One my my clients requested I drive him up vs. the two of us flying....he just wanted a ride in the TT-RS and the ability to email and use his lap top  :P

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #2802 on: July 02, 2014, 10:30:52 pm »
On Monday the Mazda went in for the 16km oil change. Time wise I'm a little over, mileage is only at 12500.

Today was the Subaru's turn. I changed the oil and filter. Fresh Mobil 1 sythetic went it. Also had a couple of little noises to track down. First noise was the typical exhaust heat sheild rattle. That was easily (and cheaply) fixed with 3 strategically placed hose clamps. No more rattle. The other noise is a creaking coming from the front suspension somewhere. Most things I read on a Forester forum pointed to the front sway bar bushings. I gave them a good shot of grease. It might take a little bit of driving for the grease to make its way around the sway bar inside the bushing. I guess I'll know soon enough...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2803 on: July 02, 2014, 10:32:00 pm »
Drove from Canmore to Grande Prairie via the Icefields Parkway and Hwy 40. Beautiful day for a drive, and almost no traffic!

Work would have paid for a plane ticket, but I said I'd take the money and drive instead. Nice to get a chance to put some miles on the car. Seems like I never get to drive it these days.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2804 on: July 02, 2014, 10:37:22 pm »
On Monday the Mazda went in for the 16km oil change. Time wise I'm a little over, mileage is only at 12500.

Today was the Subaru's turn. I changed the oil and filter. Fresh Mobil 1 sythetic went it. Also had a couple of little noises to track down. First noise was the typical exhaust heat sheild rattle. That was easily (and cheaply) fixed with 3 strategically placed hose clamps. No more rattle. The other noise is a creaking coming from the front suspension somewhere. Most things I read on a Forester forum pointed to the front sway bar bushings. I gave them a good shot of grease. It might take a little bit of driving for the grease to make its way around the sway bar inside the bushing. I guess I'll know soon enough...

Well if the grease doesn't work, it's not an expensive fix. 

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:17 pm »

Well if the grease doesn't work, it's not an expensive fix.
Kinda what I was thinking too. They don't look hard to change. Of couse I say that now...  ;)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: July 03, 2014, 12:00:33 am »
Rebuilt the carb on the Spitfire. I *think* I've fixed the autochoke. Need a new battery to test.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2807 on: July 03, 2014, 08:43:56 am »
Funny, I just did the carb on my Spitfire as well. Although I would call what I did a "rebuild", basically I cannibalized a spare SU carb I had for parts to make the one in mine better. Had a strange issue where fuel would run out of the air inlet once I shut the car off - tried a bunch of things but it eventually turned out to be a worn and semi-broken needle.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: July 03, 2014, 09:29:40 am »
Drove to North Bay today for a meeting. One my my clients requested I drive him up vs. the two of us flying....he just wanted a ride in the TT-RS and the ability to email and use his lap top  :P

Gotta be hard to work on a laptop at warp velocities.

The drive to NB is so much better now that it's 4 lanes.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: July 03, 2014, 03:34:37 pm »
Did an oil change. 6,5 litres of Mobil 1 0W-40 goodness.  :lick:  Now ready for WOT on the Autobahn in two weeks.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: July 03, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »
Funny, I just did the carb on my Spitfire as well. Although I would call what I did a "rebuild", basically I cannibalized a spare SU carb I had for parts to make the one in mine better. Had a strange issue where fuel would run out of the air inlet once I shut the car off - tried a bunch of things but it eventually turned out to be a worn and semi-broken needle.

The autochoke arm would not move at all when I first got the car. I cleaned up the carb and got some movement out of it. The kick piston was stuck - eventually got it moving smoothly. The rest of the carb seemed to be in good shape but the rest test will be firing it up of course.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2811 on: July 04, 2014, 01:53:05 pm »
Detailed the TT-RS....was filthy from the drive to North Bay  :P

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2812 on: July 04, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »
had my wife drive me into work.
I took yesterday off to start packing the car for tomorrow's departure.

so the magic of packing has started.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2813 on: July 04, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »
prepared the Alfa for the drive to MTL on Sunday. Tire pressures, fluids checked, gassed up. Only thing left to do is detail it and fill the jerry can with gas. My fuel level sender never seems to tell the truth, the needle bounces around in my dash, and at 1/4 tank my low fuel light comes on. Good to err on the side of caution...Looking forward to the trip!

Details if anyone is in the MTL area Sunday:

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,88604.0.html
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2814 on: July 04, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »
had my wife drive me into work.
I took yesterday off to start packing the car for tomorrow's departure.

so the magic of packing has started.

not sure if this was mentioned in another thread.. where are you going on vacation?  camping? hotels?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: July 05, 2014, 12:31:09 am »
^^^^^Oh cool! A picture with the speedo maxed out! Top speed run?
:D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: July 05, 2014, 02:36:43 am »
 I had some front suspension work done on the Versa today. The control arm on the right side had to be replaced due to pothole damage plus the obligatory alignment, also had the oil changed, the tires rotated and a thorough safety check done. The damage amounted to just over $500, not too bad really. Other than for routine maintenance, that's the first time the Versa's ever been in the shop.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2817 on: July 05, 2014, 10:35:03 am »

ha! that's mean... mine hit 3000 today, that anything special? also, finally discovered that I can check the top speeds hit of these rentals I just bought at the auction.... there seems to be a pattern.... 179km/hr....

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: July 05, 2014, 10:38:17 am »
:rofl2:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: July 05, 2014, 11:24:16 am »
Just took the steam cleaner to get ground up cookie out of the front passenger seat in the Mazda. Since I was in there anyway, I vacuumed it out, cleaned the inside of all the windows, and gave everything else a quick wipe down.