Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014234 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2700 on: June 09, 2014, 08:17:42 pm »
Put Amsoil in the lawnmower and Amsoil PI in the 911 and IS300...

Must have a real delicate lawnmower, all my lawnmowers (Toro) /leaf blowers (Stihl) /weed eaters (echo) /snow blowers (Toro) get by just fine on Mastercraft oil, and regular gas from Petro Canada...

What, I run synthetic and Vpower in my lawnmower as well...why scrimp a few bucks and not take advantage.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Guess I am cheap, when I have 6 things that run on oil.  Getting mastercraft on sale is fine with me.  It's certainly adds up to more than a few bucks in just 1 years.  And if it starts always, then I can't see how running synthetic makes it run better. 

Rrocket, I didn't know you were a dealer, so no offense...

I wasn't offended in the least...I just thought your "delicate" comment was odd.  In 2014 I can't believe someone would think "delicate" is a requirement for running synthetic.  Synthetic oil is better than conventional oil.  PERIOD.

Why is it better?  The engine runs cooler, which is important in an air cooled engine.  There is less wear and tear on the internal components because lubricity is superior.  You'd (technically) get more HP and added fuel economy because of less friction.  Better lubricity at cold starts.  And overall the engine will last longer. 

All of this is backed up by dynos, lab tests, engine teardowns and inspection, etc.  It's not just Amsoil.  Most synthetics are superior in every regard to conventional oils.   
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2701 on: June 09, 2014, 08:20:39 pm »

Must have a real delicate lawnmower, all my lawnmowers (Toro) /leaf blowers (Stihl) /weed eaters (echo) /snow blowers (Toro) get by just fine on Mastercraft oil, and regular gas from Petro Canada...

What, I run synthetic and Vpower in my lawnmower as well...why scrimp a few bucks and not take advantage.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Guess I am cheap, when I have 6 things that run on oil.  Getting mastercraft on sale is fine with me.  It's certainly adds up to more than a few bucks in just 1 years.  And if it starts always, then I can't see how running synthetic makes it run better. 

For me its a bit under 2L of Castrol GTX and about 10L of fuel. The difference between 87 and regular dino oil and synth and 91 isn't noticeable.  Mind you I only have a mower and a snowblower.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I go through 10L to 15L a month...The oil is more difficult to calculate.  Oil change on the 4 stroke machines, and then the mix on the leaf blower / weed eater machines...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2702 on: June 09, 2014, 08:21:36 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I wasn't offended in the least...I just thought your "delicate" comment was odd.  In 2014 I can't believe someone would think "delicate" is a requirement for running synthetic.  Synthetic oil is better than conventional oil.  PERIOD.

Why is it better?  The engine runs cooler, which is important in an air cooled engine.  There is less wear and tear on the internal components because lubricity is superior.  You'd (technically) get more HP and added fuel economy because of less friction.  Better lubricity at cold starts.  And overall the engine will last longer. 

All of this is backed up by dynos, lab tests, engine teardowns and inspection, etc.  It's not just Amsoil.  Most synthetics are superior in every regard to conventional oils.

I understand that synthetics are superior to conventional oils.  Just can't see it making much difference in a 1981 Toro snowblower.  More HP in a lawnmower isn't really needed either, it's grass...  Maybe if it was sitting a long time, I can see more benefits that way. 

My first townhouse, I had a gas mower just for the back, that my neighbour gave me.  Since the house was in the middle you couldn't access the back, no gates.  So I just left in the back all the time, no shed, just a tarp.  I never changed the oil, only added gas.  Started every time! And this thing was old, had holes in it.  Left it for the new owners when I sold it. 

Difference is Briggs & Stratton vs Chinese engines (which are delicate, slightest ethanol, and it stalls)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:30:19 pm by Solstice2006 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2703 on: June 09, 2014, 08:37:05 pm »
^^Well I suppose if the lawnmower/snowblower is a POS, there's no point in protecting your investment.  On something like my John Deere (which are made more cheaply now), I prefer to keep it running as best I can since replacement cost is high..and like I said, quality inferior to the one I currently have.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: June 09, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »
I was trying to get your posts pass 30,000!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: June 09, 2014, 08:42:09 pm »
I was trying to get your posts pass 30,000!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: June 09, 2014, 09:07:17 pm »
Took my Expedition through emissions testing.  It passed but that's not the real news.  With the Aircare program ending at the end of the year I will never have to take it through again.

Yay.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: June 09, 2014, 09:11:29 pm »
Took my Expedition through emissions testing.  It passed but that's not the real news.  With the Aircare program ending at the end of the year I will never have to take it through again.

Yay.

Lucky.

I wish the cash grab would end here.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: June 09, 2014, 09:22:43 pm »

Yay.

Lucky.

It made sense in the old days of carbs.  I remember having cars that ran fine but maxed out the emissions tester.  Now the government realized failures are so rare the program is pointless and a waste of money. 

Couple years back they had the same conclusion about photo radar and got rid of it. 

Almost renews my faith in politicians. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:40 pm »

Yay.

Lucky.

It made sense in the old days of carbs.  I remember having cars that ran fine but maxed out the emissions tester.  Now the government realized failures are so rare the program is pointless and a waste of money. 

Couple years back they had the same conclusion about photo radar and got rid of it. 

Almost renews my faith in politicians.

Here, even if you fail you can pay money to get a "conditional pass" regardless of how polluting the car is.

Scam, pure and simple.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: June 09, 2014, 09:31:13 pm »
I think my mower is running on 0W-30 German Castrol (wrong weight as it wants 0W-20 I think, but meh, it survives) and VPower.

The former I just had lying around, the latter makes for easier starts after the winter.

Snowblower is same.

0W20, really?  Most mowers are straight 30 weight stuff.

Could be wrong. Either way I know I'm running the wrong weight in it.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: June 10, 2014, 12:12:30 am »

Yay.

Lucky you.  Are you going to frame the emission results report?  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2712 on: June 10, 2014, 01:05:05 am »
We don't have any emissions testing in Alberta.  Even here, I rarely see a car with a smoky tailpipe, etc.  Modern emissions systems combined with durable engines, etc, have made it pretty much not needed.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: June 10, 2014, 01:44:02 am »

Yay.

Late last December I had to take the '06 Grand Vitara in for its first AirCare.  Rather than analyze the exhaust, they just plug into the OBDII port.  Then, due to their rules, they charged me $48 for two years coverage. Yet AirCare will end one year plus a few days from the date of the test.   $48 plus my time plus the pollution from an unnecessary trip for an OBDII reading.

On the other hand, I used to have a Dodge Spirit with the infamous Mitsubishi 3.0 V6.  Prolonged idling would put it into smoke screen mode.  Prolonged idling is exactly what one does in the AirCare lineup, and which we did practically no other time since the car was not used for commuting.  So a guy comes out of the building, walks down the line of cars and motions to speak to me.  He kicked me out of the line because they wouldn't test cars billowing blue smoke.

Since I knew what was going on, I just drove to a different AirCare station, kept the revs above an idle in the lineup and going into the building, to maintain a vacuum level, and it passed with flying colors.  They gave me a big grin and a thumbs up as the report printed out.  Of course I knew it wasn't a good thing and soon got it fixed anyway.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: June 10, 2014, 03:29:32 pm »
About 18 months ago the power steering boost on my Escape Hybrid failed without warning.  It hasn't done this since, but research revealed this was a known problem with Escapes.  The responsible thing to do was have it repaired.  My mechanic, in consultation with Ford, determined the correct repair was to replace the steering column, and this was done by my mechanic.  At considerable expense.  Ford advised to keep the invoice in case there was a recall.

Ford recently announced a recall for this problem.  I called the dealership. They advised me to call Ford Canada. Ford Canada confirmed what I already knew: that there were three versions of this problem, and depending on the symptoms the solutions were to update software, replace a sensor module, or replace the steering column. They advised me to take my invoice to the dealership. The dealership would need to inspect the repair to ensure it was done properly and would go from there. I scheduled an appointment at XX Ford, who advised to allow 90 minutes for the service.

The appointment was this morning. The service representative immediately based his response on two themes. One was that although he had notice of the recall, he didn't have diagnostic and repair procedures yet. His other theme was that replacing the steering column was an excessive repair (despite this being done on Ford's advice to begin with, using a column bought from them, and despite him claiming a lack of diagnostic or repair information). He then had a conversation with the service manager, which didn't change the situation. He advised me to await the dealership getting more information from Ford.

I'm less than impressed by Ford's inconsistencies and wasting my morning.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #2715 on: June 10, 2014, 05:01:54 pm »
Mine was $202 with tax at the dealer, never looked at how long it took them to put it in.. Whether they charged .5 hours or what.  Took them 2 hours to do the bushings...I don't care about that, it was free...

And the 1 year warranty sucks!

Just did the swap yesterday.  Not a difficult job if you have to do it again next time.  The bushings are easy to reach too especially with a lift so not sure where they're getting 2 hrs from, unless that includes the fronts too which are more difficult to access.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: June 10, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »
Mine was $202 with tax at the dealer, never looked at how long it took them to put it in.. Whether they charged .5 hours or what.  Took them 2 hours to do the bushings...I don't care about that, it was free...

And the 1 year warranty sucks!

Just did the swap yesterday.  Not a difficult job if you have to do it again next time.  The bushings are easy to reach too especially with a lift so not sure where they're getting 2 hrs from, unless that includes the fronts too which are more difficult to access.

Yes the invoice read, 0.25 hrs for the rear, 1.75 hrs for the front...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #2717 on: June 11, 2014, 03:02:57 am »
Cursed at the MX-5 a bit when I was informed that I have a pebble or another small object inside the exhaust that's causing a ridiculous rattle. The car sounds very, very broken. :-[ :'(
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2718 on: June 11, 2014, 01:52:21 pm »
A friend of mine, who is a professional photographer, did a photoshoot of me and my Cobra.  Can't wait to see the pics...

Post them up when you get em.... :)

Here's the first one John has shared so far.  Should be more to come.

The HDR treatment kinda emphasizes the 3M stone chip film on the nose, though...

Great car, not so keen on the photo though, but that's just me.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2719 on: June 13, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »
Washed it and found out that it is actually white.