Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010814 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9840 on: November 12, 2018, 09:31:19 am »
Wouldn't 'normal' folks have them parked in the garage? LOL!

They're looking good! Love that TA as well.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Most people don't use the garage for their vehicles. 

IIRC, Firm probably has one of the Camaros in there.

'Normal' folks in this hood typically have nothing but trash in their garages  ::)
Mine has the Sonoma, SLK (on the lift) and the red Firebird
Kinda like my nieghbours... we're the only ones that actually park a vehicle in the garage! Oh & the lady across the street will in the winter.

My parent's house has a two car garage that they use on and off. 

They live in a nice neighbourhood, but for some reason they still get a lot of vehicle break-ins.  So, they'll get their vehicles rifled through, then start to park in the garage.  After a year or two goes by, they'll get complacent, and start parking on the driveway again (my Dad mostly, so he has room for his motorcycles in the garage).  Then they'll have a break-in, he'll find a different spot for his bikes, and park in the garage again. 

They've been repeating that cycle for a decade now.

Conversely, we live in a crappier neighbourhood, don't have a garage and thusly park outside.  I'm knocking on wood right now, but we have never had an issue. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9841 on: November 12, 2018, 09:35:03 am »
Wouldn't 'normal' folks have them parked in the garage? LOL!

They're looking good! Love that TA as well.

Most people don't use the garage for their vehicles. 

IIRC, Firm probably has one of the Camaros in there.

'Normal' folks in this hood typically have nothing but trash in their garages  ::)
Mine has the Sonoma, SLK (on the lift) and the red Firebird
Kinda like my nieghbours... we're the only ones that actually park a vehicle in the garage! Oh & the lady across the street will in the winter.

My parent's house has a two car garage that they use on and off. 

They live in a nice neighbourhood, but for some reason they still get a lot of vehicle break-ins.  So, they'll get their vehicles rifled through, then start to park in the garage.  After a year or two goes by, they'll get complacent, and start parking on the driveway again (my Dad mostly, so he has room for his motorcycles in the garage).  Then they'll have a break-in, he'll find a different spot for his bikes, and park in the garage again. 

They've been repeating that cycle for a decade now.

Conversely, we live in a crappier neighbourhood, don't have a garage and thusly park outside.  I'm knocking on wood right now, but we have never had an issue.

We've had that problem here too....Everytime it happens to someone in the area it seems they've left their car unlocked. I am sure some suburban kids are just running around checking doors and grabbing whatever they easily can from peoples cars.
I make it part of my nightly 'lock-up' routine to go out and confirm that the driveway cars are locked.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9842 on: November 12, 2018, 10:39:09 am »
as good as the General all-seasons are, they were not up to the snow we got this morning (was driving in the fresh stuff from 2-5am). Lots of sliding and had to be very careful about stopping distances. Need the Michelins on asap.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9843 on: November 12, 2018, 11:20:14 am »
Switched to winter tires on Mrs. Random's car at her son's place Sunday (he has the gear).  Her Civic is now sporting the Michelin Xice Xi3 tires she bought a couple of years ago.  So, we are now both ready for Ol' Man Winter.

It was "fun" getting to his place.  The street is undergoing a full water and sewage replacement makeover and the project has reached his neighbour's house.  The road no longer exists for about 50 feet beyond his home.  He worries that he will be living with a gravel street for the winter.

When we got there, a fuel truck was there refuelling a generator stationed right beside his house.  Quite the obstacle course, even after the fuel truck left.  Neighbours have to park wherever they can, making for a difficult ingress and egress as everybody has to turn around to leave.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:34:45 am by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9844 on: November 12, 2018, 04:46:20 pm »
Love the Jepp GC. Boy am I convincing myself one will be next for Mrs. Vmango.

It'll be an SRT, though, right?  Right?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/jeep/grand%20cherokee/toronto/ontario/5_41070272_on20080416105507750/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=10_15_31&sprx=100

Lol thought about it actually but I think the Overland Trip with the V8 would be my first choice for her. I'm not sure the summit adds anything I'd want.
Overland V8 would be my choice as well. I'd get the upgraded audio & the safety package which gives you blindspot monitoring, adaptive cruise, etc... that's $60k right now with the $10k discount, a lotta cheddar.

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: November 12, 2018, 04:49:08 pm »
Took the 951 out to run some errands. Filled it up at Costco, $1.17 for the high test [emoji16]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: November 12, 2018, 04:50:16 pm »
a great grocery getter right there

I was told Costco gas was crap quality. Was I misinformed?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: November 12, 2018, 05:00:37 pm »
a great grocery getter right there

I've never had an issue with it. Used to fill up the 951 there all the time when I worked down at RCMP HQ.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: November 12, 2018, 05:03:13 pm »

Yes, I think you were.  It's Top Tier Certified.  I have run it in virtually every vehicle I've owned with no issue.

https://www.toptiergas.com/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: November 12, 2018, 05:08:17 pm »
k thanks guys, will save some cash for my next fillups from now on

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: November 12, 2018, 05:12:33 pm »

Just educate yourself on what times are the busy times...I've seen some LOOOONG line ups there on occasion.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: November 12, 2018, 05:33:29 pm »

Just educate yourself on what times are the busy times...I've seen some LOOOONG line ups there on occasion.
Oh don't I know it. Going there for groceries sometimes half a giant parking lot is gridlocked, and the lineups go out to the intersection. Half stupid people, half terrible design of the traffic flow of the gas station.

I would be going first thing in the morning most likely. It is dead then.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9852 on: November 12, 2018, 05:49:59 pm »
My local Costco is getting more pumps which has REALLY increased the queues with some of the approaches to the pumps blocked off.

MY Direct Injection 2.0T seems to thrive on Costco premium...although it is less happy with winter gas.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: November 12, 2018, 05:51:35 pm »

Oh don't I know it. Going there for groceries sometimes half a giant parking lot is gridlocked, and the lineups go out to the intersection. Half stupid people, half terrible design of the traffic flow of the gas station.

I used to be there at 6:45am, drive right up to the pump.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9854 on: November 12, 2018, 08:29:07 pm »
IMO there is little difference in the quality of gasoline but there is a big difference in where you pump it from.  I stick to newer stations that have state of the art filter systems pump from reasonably new tanks.  I refuse to buy gas where the station still measures it's levels with a long steel pole covered in dirt and salt.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9855 on: November 12, 2018, 09:51:24 pm »
I used to really notice a difference when sulfur was still used in high levels in some gasolines.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9856 on: November 13, 2018, 08:51:54 am »

The Kingston Costco doesn't have gas, it does have the gridlocked parking lot and huge lines inside, so I'm no longer a member. 
Hated shopping there.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #9857 on: November 13, 2018, 10:36:09 am »
Had the snows put on both vehicles today

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: November 13, 2018, 10:56:49 am »

Well that escalated quickly

Took the whole dashboard out as I have some electrical issues. Additionally some switches were out but the wires are unlabeled and I have been unable to find a wiring diagram.  :(

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9859 on: November 13, 2018, 12:01:16 pm »

Well that escalated quickly

Took the whole dashboard out as I have some electrical issues. Additionally some switches were out but the wires are unlabeled and I have been unable to find a wiring diagram.  :(

Good news is there's less wiring behind that dashboard than you'd find under the seat in a modern car....