Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009897 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9380 on: September 23, 2018, 10:07:28 am »
You've got a complaint for everything this morning, eh?  Go drink some Prune juice, maybe it'll lighten your mood a little.  ;)

And yeah, sh!t happens.  I'm sure you've been in a couple of collisions in your life.  It's easy to sit on your high horse when you're an old fogey and have a forgetful memory about all your youthful transgressions.

No collision so far

The guy fack and says it not his faulty , and you are agreeing with him ,

I find this very funny  :rofl:

HE didn't say it wasn't his fault.  MPI, our insurance arm, deemed it a not his fault.  Not sure what more you want me to go off.

But go ahead and attribute his attitude to him being a lazy millenial.  While you're at it disparaging millenials, why don't we have a good talk about how the Boomers exported all our manufacturing, inflated the housing market so that they could have retirement nest eggs, and are going to deplete CPP and bankrupt our health care system. 

And yeah, I'm siding with my buddy.  Sorry Not Sorry.  That isn't really the point though.  The point was more that he found a great car at a great price. 

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9381 on: September 24, 2018, 02:55:12 pm »
I noticed some fine scratches on my car on Sunday, probably from debris from the storm on Friday.

I did a quick, if imperfect repair using a touch-up paint pen from Subaru.  I wiped all the excess paint off and ended up with mostly hidden scratches but at least no blotches on the car surface.

I also realized that I’m no longer bothered about getting scratches anywhere NEAR as much as I would have been 20 years ago. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9382 on: September 24, 2018, 03:05:54 pm »
Last week we took a few days off and went up to Killarney and Manitoulin. Gave the car its third rock to the windscreen and another rock (?) to one of the fog lights which smashed out the cover and bulb. This will make my first bulb replacement in 9 years and 235,000 kms, not bad for a VW. At least I now know that my warning light and message works stating light out and which one.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9383 on: September 24, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »
took the jag for a trip this weekend to Stratford with my wife... other than the navigation is definitely outdated and took me on some goofy routes, a nice spin...

so many time I wanted to just rip past people but my wife wouldn't let me...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9384 on: September 24, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »
took the jag for a trip this weekend to Stratford with my wife... other than the navigation is definitely outdated and took me on some goofy routes, a nice spin...

so many time I wanted to just rip past people but my wife wouldn't let me...

She’s got a brake pedal on the passenger side, like in those driver’s ed cars? ??? :stick:  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9385 on: September 24, 2018, 08:38:35 pm »
I have the same problem, my wife hates passing, honking, flashing lights...generally any "active" driving whatsoever...very frustrating.

I have learned that fund driving is to be had when she is not in the car, otherwise...grandma speeds and dont dare let the tach above 4k...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: September 24, 2018, 08:44:10 pm »
I have the same problem, my wife hates passing, honking, flashing lights...generally any "active" driving whatsoever...very frustrating.

I have learned that fund driving is to be had when she is not in the car, otherwise...grandma speeds and dont dare let the tach above 4k...

As long as she doesn't drive BELOW the limit, I could live with it it sounds like.

I have a buddy who drives aggressively...on/off the throttle a zillion times.  It gets me sea sick.  I'd rather drive with a grandma than that.  FFS.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9387 on: September 24, 2018, 09:11:23 pm »

“Fun” driving is usually only fun for the driver, since she/he knows what’s coming and can prepare for it.  Generally only passengers who are also gearheads and speedfreaks get a kick out of spirited driving...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9388 on: September 25, 2018, 06:12:32 am »

I have learned that fun driving is to be had when she is not in the car, otherwise...grandma speeds and dont dare let the tach above 4k...
My parents have gotten used to my driving. Indeed, she trusts me more than anyone else. Overtaking on two-lane roads, zipping 150+ on empty autoroutes (even when not in Germany), sliding around a bit on the snow, she's fine with all that.

Then again, I don't really do a lot of "fun"  :drv2: driving anymore, even on my own. Waste of fuel, not socially responsible, "why bother" is my mentality thesedays. Enjoy the scenery, smell the fresh air (except in Germany), pick a nice song, just chill.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9389 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:43 am »
Too late for you, but looks like these motors need a catch can

I've thought about it, and lots of companies make them for this engine, but doesn't seem worth it IMO. I've heard you can need to empty it as often as once a week, and good luck to you in the winter if/when it freezes up. I've also heard that it doesn't evacuate moisture from the crankcase as well, so there can be issues if you do short trips and don't get the engine up to temp. And it's also not 100% effective - not sure why, but apparently that's the case.

I could possibly live with the downsides, but good luck to my wife if I leave her with the car for a couple weeks in the winter! "Hey honey, would you mind not taking the car to the grocery store unless you warm it up on the highway for 20 minutes after? Oh, and make sure to dump that oily catch can when you get back!"  :rofl2:

I'm also going to be replacing the PCV valve, which is supposed to help. Probably should have done it sooner, but it's a $120 part on these cars, not the old-school things that used to cost $20.

Anyway, gave my myself a brutal headache yesterday from spending the afternoon with my face inches away from the ports and breathing a nasty cocktail of solvents.  [emoji14] Got everything cleaned up to an acceptable level, then moved on to the water pump (figured I'd replace it since it's easy to do once the manifold is off. Never had any issues with it, but it's another known problem area on these cars, so figured I'd replace it with the upgraded part.)

Well, of course I hit a snag: rounded the stupid 12mm bolt to get the water pump drive belt pulley off. There's no room to get a socket in there, and a regular wrench only hits less than half of the head. So, ordered me a 6-point wrench (can't buy them locally, it seems) and will probably have to get the end cut off and welded onto the shaft for more clearance - kind of like a super-low-profile socket. If I'd just had the 6-point to start with, probably could have avoided the whole mess.  [emoji14]

How the heck are you supposed to get a wrench on that?!? And it’s on tight.

Got a few other things to do as well, so looks like this is going to drag on at least until mid-week.  [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14]

Update to this saga? I would have gone straight to the vise grips.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9390 on: September 25, 2018, 10:51:20 am »
^^ Vice grips are my last resort.  ;D

Ordered a 6 point wrench from Amazon & it’s supposed to be here today. Then will take it to a buddy of mine who owns a welding shop to have the head welded on top of the shaft, rather than on the end of it. Should work.  :-\

There’s also a Triple Square insert in the bolt head, so I suppose I could get one of these from Shap-On if all else fails. Couldn’t find the specs on it to make sure it would fit, though.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: September 25, 2018, 10:59:47 am »
Too late for you, but looks like these motors need a catch can

I've thought about it, and lots of companies make them for this engine, but doesn't seem worth it IMO. I've heard you can need to empty it as often as once a week, and good luck to you in the winter if/when it freezes up. I've also heard that it doesn't evacuate moisture from the crankcase as well, so there can be issues if you do short trips and don't get the engine up to temp. And it's also not 100% effective - not sure why, but apparently that's the case.

I could possibly live with the downsides, but good luck to my wife if I leave her with the car for a couple weeks in the winter! "Hey honey, would you mind not taking the car to the grocery store unless you warm it up on the highway for 20 minutes after? Oh, and make sure to dump that oily catch can when you get back!"  :rofl2:

I'm also going to be replacing the PCV valve, which is supposed to help. Probably should have done it sooner, but it's a $120 part on these cars, not the old-school things that used to cost $20.

Anyway, gave my myself a brutal headache yesterday from spending the afternoon with my face inches away from the ports and breathing a nasty cocktail of solvents.  [emoji14] Got everything cleaned up to an acceptable level, then moved on to the water pump (figured I'd replace it since it's easy to do once the manifold is off. Never had any issues with it, but it's another known problem area on these cars, so figured I'd replace it with the upgraded part.)

Well, of course I hit a snag: rounded the stupid 12mm bolt to get the water pump drive belt pulley off. There's no room to get a socket in there, and a regular wrench only hits less than half of the head. So, ordered me a 6-point wrench (can't buy them locally, it seems) and will probably have to get the end cut off and welded onto the shaft for more clearance - kind of like a super-low-profile socket. If I'd just had the 6-point to start with, probably could have avoided the whole mess.  [emoji14]

How the heck are you supposed to get a wrench on that?!? And it’s on tight.

Got a few other things to do as well, so looks like this is going to drag on at least until mid-week.  [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14]

Update to this saga? I would have gone straight to the vise grips.

Clawfoot wrench might work

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9392 on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:06 am »
Are we sure it is not reverse thread?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:57 am »
^^ Hard to see from the picture, I guess, but I don’t think a crowfoot wrench would make any difference. Because the bolt is recessed in the pulley, I still wouldn’t be able to get the wrench on more than a few mm of the head.

And, yes, it’s definitely reverse thread. Luckily I knew that from the beginning.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #9394 on: September 25, 2018, 02:49:28 pm »
Over the weekend I picked up this cradle and Bluetooth FM transmitter setup from Amazon.

5 days in and it works very well with my Samsung S7. Great sound quality and good user interface. Pairs automatically with my phone, plays all my music, can do calls as well. I'm very impressed and I was skeptical, having previously bought (and returned) a Belkin FM Bluetooth transmitter from Best Buy a couple of years ago that was lousy – bad reception, interface and build quality.

The only challenge was trying to make sense of all the potential options on Amazon. Victsing makes a bunch of similar ones, and then there are other Chinese brands that build very similar products, too. My guess is they’re all comparable and you just need to decide what features and shape work for you.

Anyway, I would recommend this model to anyone who’s looking for a cheap and effective Bluetooth solution for their older car. Link to model here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYJHW1L/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cradle works well so far. I’m a bit concerned by the flimsiness of the tabs that lodge into the CD slot – the unit stays put but I’m worried about using too much force when manipulating the phone while in cradle, and snapping one of the plastic tabs. We shall see.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9395 on: September 25, 2018, 10:49:35 pm »
Haven't done ** with my own cars for a couple weeks....cept drive and dirty them, but I am not sure where else to post this and it doesn't exactly warrant an S&S...

My parents purchased a 'new' daily for my mom to replace the 1980 MGB she's been driving for the last 7-8 years. The MGB was doing great, but she's in her early 60's and I guess the novelty of driving a crude old British sports car has finally started to wear thin....She's been driving them pretty much exclusively since her first car, a Spitfire back in the 70's. MGB was sold to another enthusiast in New York and shipped out earlier this week:

Replaced with a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte; somehow they found this thing traded in at a local Chrysler dealer with <20,000kms! I wish I had better pics, but it's literally spotless everywhere, doesn't even look like it's ever been in the rain. It's also one of the first with the more desirable ZF 6-speed auto over the weird e-gear setup the earlier cars had. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but should get time for a spin this weekend....It sure does sound good.
It's going to hurt a bit seeing this winter'd....but, her perspective is something like; "at this point in life what would I be saving this for?", which I guess is more than enough justification.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: September 25, 2018, 10:59:56 pm »

Replaced with a 2007 Maserati Quattroporte; somehow they found this thing traded in at a local Chrysler dealer with <20,000kms! I wish I had better pics, but it's literally spotless everywhere, doesn't even look like it's ever been in the rain. It's also one of the first with the more desirable ZF 6-speed auto over the weird e-gear setup the earlier cars had. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but should get time for a spin this weekend....It sure does sound good.
It's going to hurt a bit seeing this winter'd....but, her perspective is something like; "at this point in life what would I be saving this for?", which I guess is more than enough justification.

As part of my car search, I tested a couple of these.

Be sure the cam variators have been replaced/done/checked!!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9397 on: September 25, 2018, 11:04:04 pm »

As part of my car search, I tested a couple of these.

Be sure the cam variators have been replaced/done/checked!!

haha, yeah...my dad's a Ferrari guy, so he's been on top of it. Car just got back from the shop he uses for the Italian stuff for many thousands worth of maintenance  ::)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9398 on: September 25, 2018, 11:40:28 pm »
Wow, very nice purchase. I've always loved the Quattroporte. I remember seeing one take off from a stop light in front of the Dancing House in Prague and it sounded glorious.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #9399 on: September 26, 2018, 12:54:49 am »
That is a sweet ride! Congrats to your mom (and to you if she lets you drive it ;))