Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011757 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8560 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:41 pm »
To be fair. She didn't look at the original quote and just rang it up as per the standard rates. I am not convinced they were deliberately trying to screw me over.

But yeah. Doesn't make me want to go back.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: April 23, 2018, 10:22:02 pm »
Changed the oil, fuel filter and had the tires swapped on the Golf.

They had quoted me $250.  Went to pay and they said "that'll come to $337".

Squeeze me?

To their credit they stuck to the quoted price.  But they also played the 'the tech won't get paid' card, which I thought was uncool.

Was this is written quote?

If not...this is why you always get a written quote...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: April 23, 2018, 10:23:08 pm »
I had confirmed on the phone and then again when I dropped it off. They showed it to me.

And the original quote was $250+tax. So not as egregious as originally written.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: April 23, 2018, 10:23:57 pm »
I had confirmed on the phone and then again when I dropped it off.

Always get written.

Found this out in my late teens during car ownership....similar situation to yours.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #8564 on: April 24, 2018, 08:26:49 am »
Tires getting done today, plus oil change.

It will be good to get back on summer rubber.

Next up:  a good hosing and cleaning, inside and out.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8565 on: April 24, 2018, 06:25:39 pm »
So, MY key fob to the van has been acting up all winter.  It intermittently doesn't register a button press.  It seems to have gotten worse and worse as time goes on.  Locking, unlocking, and remote starting the van has become a PITA.

My wife's key does not exhibit the same behaviour, so I know it's not the receiver unit in the van.  I changed the FOB battery, alas, to no effect. 

Luckily, when we bought the van, the Doc fee we paid at the dealership included key insurance.  If you lose or break a key fob, you get a brand new FOB with zero deductible. 

So, I am choosing to exercise this option and get myself a new key fob for my van.  Appointment is made at the dealer for Monday afternoon.

So, this would have cost me $340 after tax.  With the key insurance, it was $0.  So, right on!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8566 on: April 24, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
So, MY key fob to the van has been acting up all winter.  It intermittently doesn't register a button press.  It seems to have gotten worse and worse as time goes on.  Locking, unlocking, and remote starting the van has become a PITA.

My wife's key does not exhibit the same behaviour, so I know it's not the receiver unit in the van.  I changed the FOB battery, alas, to no effect. 

Luckily, when we bought the van, the Doc fee we paid at the dealership included key insurance.  If you lose or break a key fob, you get a brand new FOB with zero deductible. 

So, I am choosing to exercise this option and get myself a new key fob for my van.  Appointment is made at the dealer for Monday afternoon.

So, this would have cost me $340 after tax.  With the key insurance, it was $0.  So, right on!

Never even heard of key insurance.  But also have never had a problem with keys..

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: April 24, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »

Never even heard of key insurance.  But also have never had a problem with keys..

It was one of the 'perks' that you gain with the doc fee when buying from that dealership.  Turned out to be quite useful.  And totally legit.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8568 on: April 24, 2018, 07:26:14 pm »

It was one of the 'perks' that you gain with the doc fee when buying from that dealership.  Turned out to be quite useful.  And totally legit.

Maybe I have it, and don't know it.  Have to check with tooscoops.  Don't really care.  Almost at the 1/2 way point in the lease!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8569 on: April 24, 2018, 09:51:39 pm »
ordered new all seasons for the Saab, probably will be the last shoes she wears other than the winters...

General G-Max AS-05. I was impressed with the AS-03s, and these seem to be even better.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: April 24, 2018, 10:46:27 pm »
Tires getting done today, plus oil change.

It will be good to get back on summer rubber.

Next up:  a good hosing and cleaning, inside and out.

Same basic tires and oil change change (& in/out cleaning still due) plus Dexcool coolant for all (3) independent loops flushed & replaced: HV traction battery / inverter / ICE as per scheduled maintenance 5 years / 240,000 km recommandation. Disks brake & pads replaced @ 4 wheels too. That last one was unexpected, I should have paid more attention to clean disk & lube calliper mechanism to keep pad friction free against disk at winter/summer tires change, my bad... Still love my Volt, summer rubber feel smoother & silent, electric range increase with warmer temperature, no gas usage for my everyday commuting.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:49:02 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8571 on: April 26, 2018, 06:34:24 pm »
I've been putting Canada flag stickers on my cars since the 1990s. The Sonata got hers today.

Purchased at the Flag Shop, 1195 Pembina Hwy.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:43:55 pm by Bubba »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8572 on: April 26, 2018, 07:14:19 pm »
Finally got the Miata out.  Fired right up, everything looks and sounds good.  Going to tear the Highlander apart late next week, so need her going.  Going skiing this weekend, but need the HL to move some of the kid's furniture home so she can look for a place for the summer in Banff without having much stuff to move.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8573 on: April 26, 2018, 09:32:50 pm »
Put road coverage back on the Sonoma :)
Hagerty won't take it with my other cars, so i have to take "normal" insurance off/on every year - PITA.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: April 26, 2018, 11:38:46 pm »
People pay people to swap winter tires?  :think: And it's 250 bucks?  Where do I start a line!

I changed my tires and oil a week or so ago...today, I washed my car, clay barred it, and damn does white ever look nice when it's been barred (soooo many railway rust spots...don't notice in winter 'cause you aint lookin'), then hit it with White Diamond (am I supposed to put wax on top of that? I can never remember).  Frickin' shiny as new.  Still looks good after all these years.

Maybe I'll do the truck this weekend...anyone know if it's a problem if I mix QS with Penzoil?  Same 10/40, both full synthetic...have enough to change on the truck, but not enough of one.  I didn't think so.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: April 27, 2018, 07:03:17 am »
$250?

The VW dealer charged me $40. And I got to go to dinner with my dad while they did it.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: April 27, 2018, 11:49:12 am »
Yesterday I washed the van inside and out.  Getting rid of all that winter grime.

This coming Sunday, I have quite the to-do list on the van:

Swap the tires.
Install the rear suspension air bags
Install the brake controller
Lube the rear brake caliper slide pins (they've been sticking and causing a squealing noise that goes away when brake is applied).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8577 on: April 27, 2018, 02:46:17 pm »
And got the Porsche outta the barn. Started up right away, ran great all the way home, no issues. This week I'll change out the oil & give it a quick once over. Last fall it sounded like the front right wheel bearing was getting loud, didn't notice much today.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I surprised that there is anything left of your Porsche  :o
After driving on the roads in Ottawa today  :shake:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: April 27, 2018, 02:53:32 pm »
You referring to the state of the road or the quality of the drivers?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #8579 on: April 27, 2018, 03:04:47 pm »
And got the Porsche outta the barn. Started up right away, ran great all the way home, no issues. This week I'll change out the oil & give it a quick once over. Last fall it sounded like the front right wheel bearing was getting loud, didn't notice much today.

I surprised that there is anything left of your Porsche  :o
After driving on the roads in Ottawa today  :shake:
It only has 16" wheels with a decent sidewall, so it's not too bad. And razor sharp steering for quick maneuvers, lol!

You live everyday. You only die once....