Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013520 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8020 on: December 28, 2017, 11:51:38 pm »
Cars are expected to start in -20C. If they didn't then day to day life in the Prairies would grind to a halt. All cars should be able to handle -20 with no special treatment. At -30 is when things begin to change although I still expect a non plugged vehicle to crank slow but start at -30. At -35 and below all bets are off, that is truly the temp when things get nasty.

I agree, but around here temps might only get into the -20's a couple days a year (or some years not at all) so batteries are not stress tested as often, people don't use fuel line anti-freeze, etc. So when it does get in the -20s, stuff breaks. My FIL's F-150 wouldn't start, 8 year old original battery, 3 neighbors had similar issues. Bottom line, people and their vehicles here are not well equipped for extreme cold.

I blame Motomaster batteries  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8021 on: December 29, 2017, 06:20:07 am »
I guess I should hit the remote start on the truck, it has been sitting since Dec 4

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8022 on: December 29, 2017, 09:26:00 pm »
Brake fluid changed today, pedal feels notably firmer. Yay ! :)

As for the damage done by my mother, the shop needs more time to compile a final estimate of all the parts. At minimum,  new struts, control arm, and hub. "I would look into claiming insurance" was his response. Looks like the 3er is gonna get a refreshed front end....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:30:08 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: December 29, 2017, 11:23:51 pm »
[/url]

New shocks for the Pontiac. The old ones were are not in bad shape but they are old (late 70s) so worth replacing.

One new shock at the front. Cold outside (-30C) and not much warmer in the garage so I need to do the other one tomorrow. Then the rear shocks.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8024 on: December 31, 2017, 08:10:52 am »
Got a call at 5am, daughter said the Explorer wouldn’t start.  So I went in wife’s forester over to her workplace, found battery was dead, boosted it, started fine.  Gas gauge said empty, 0km to empty on the dash readout, so I went to the gas station 100m up the road. Put $20 in it, boosted it again, drove home, gauge showed 3/4 tank.  So obviously it wasn’t empty, the gauge was fooled by the low battery or the cold.  I pumped gas at -20 for no reason.  Now I have to figure out why the battery died.  It’s only -16, so that’s somewhat better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8025 on: December 31, 2017, 08:18:50 am »
Got a call at 5am, daughter said the Explorer wouldn’t start.  So I went in wife’s forester over to her workplace, found battery was dead, boosted it, started fine.  Gas gauge said empty, 0km to empty on the dash readout, so I went to the gas station 100m up the road. Put $20 in it, boosted it again, drove home, gauge showed 3/4 tank.  So obviously it wasn’t empty, the gauge was fooled by the low battery or the cold.  I pumped gas at -20 for no reason.  Now I have to figure out why the battery died.  It’s only -16, so that’s somewhat better.

I bet your nuts weren't fooled by the cold when you were pumping gas! LOL
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: December 31, 2017, 08:43:48 am »
They’ll recover by next week, I think!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: January 01, 2018, 08:39:39 pm »
Checked the oil for the 1er. It is at 1/2 level but the electronic readout still reads "OK".

The car has lost about 1/2 since early December. There are no leaks from what I can see underneath the hood and ground, coolant looks good with no weird colours.

I'm gonna buy 1L or so of oil and top up, but is this a major concern??? Car is 7 years old with 97 km.  :-\ :-\

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #8028 on: January 01, 2018, 08:46:00 pm »
Checked the oil for the 1er. It is at 1/2 level but the electronic readout still reads "OK".

The car has lost about 1/2 since early December. There are no leaks from what I can see underneath the hood and ground, coolant looks good with no weird colours.

I'm gonna buy 1L or so of oil and top up, but is this a major concern??? Car is 7 years old with 97 km.  :-\ :-\
How many km did you travel in that period? It’s quite possible to consume 1/2 a litre or so between scheduled oil changes and stay within manufacturer specifications.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: January 01, 2018, 08:51:27 pm »

How many km did you travel in that period? It’s quite possible to consume 1/2 a litre or so between scheduled oil changes and stay within manufacturer specifications.

Roughly 2000 km. It was about 3/4 on Friday (same level all month), then I checked today and its at 1/2.

It was parked outside all week in the frigid temperatures we've had in Ontario. This morning's cold start sounded rough but it started. Does cold weather have to do with oil consumption?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #8030 on: January 01, 2018, 08:52:19 pm »

That's weird! Could be burning some, but you'd see some blue smoke you'd figure. The car does have a belly pan under the engine tho, oil could be pooling on it. I'd check around the oil filter housing for leaks, as well as the valve cover gasket.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: January 01, 2018, 08:59:54 pm »

Roughly 2000 km. It was about 3/4 on Friday (same level all month), then I checked today and its at 1/2.

It was parked outside all week in the frigid temperatures we've had in Ontario. This morning's cold start sounded rough but it started. Does cold weather have to do with oil consumption?
How many millilitres between 3/4 and 1/2 on the stick? If ~250, then I wouldn’t worry about it and yes, it can be exacerbated by the cold temperatures.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: January 01, 2018, 09:03:10 pm »

That's fine, but I would continue to monitor. Leaks aren't easily identifiable cuz the belly pan is quite substantial. Otherwise, oil filter housing gasket comes to mind.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: January 01, 2018, 09:55:47 pm »

Well it is FGC, right?  ;D :stick: :run:

My car has been sitting outside since Friday.  -28's at night. Only -16-18 this afternoon.  Not plugged in.  Wouldn't start.   >:(  C'mon!!  Had to boost it.  Unbelievable.  Didn't think that would happen at -16ish.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: January 01, 2018, 11:35:57 pm »

How many millilitres between 3/4 and 1/2 on the stick? If ~250, then I wouldn’t worry about it and yes, it can be exacerbated by the cold temperatures.

Dry around the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing (based on my under the hood visual inspection). Not sure how I can check the under belly plastic cover without lifting the car up...

Yes I believe its 250 mL between 3/4 and 1/2, so I'm missing about 500 mL total. "Low" indicator means 1 L needs to be added.

Also another note: I took the car to the touchless wash tonight (-21C) after my 401 salt brine journey. I had the blower fan on full blast to ensure my windows would be clear.

Within minutes of leaving the car wash, the blower fan makes this loud ice breaking noise. Luckily I'm < 5 mins away from home, and I parked inside the garage (12C). I check on it a few hours later and the noise is gone. My guess is water somehow got inside and froze, causing the noise.  :-\ Hopefully nothing is broken.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: January 02, 2018, 12:22:28 am »
If you checked the oil when it was warm the first time and cold the second time that might account for the difference.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: January 02, 2018, 07:03:54 am »
Low WW fluid warning was coming on at ~ -20C in the A4 even with a full reservoir. Added a pinch of salt. Light goes out. #blindedmewithscience

Clue: apparently cheap blue WW fluid is more conductive than the good stuff.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: January 02, 2018, 08:07:19 am »
If you checked the oil when it was warm the first time and cold the second time that might account for the difference.
Checked it while warm both times.

A tad chilly this morning in the nation's capital.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: January 02, 2018, 08:09:08 am »
Low WW fluid warning was coming on at ~ -20C in the A4 even with a full reservoir. Added a pinch of salt. Light goes out. #blindedmewithscience

Hmm so that's how the sensor works?

My WW fluid also lit last week, but it took an entire jug of fluid!

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: January 02, 2018, 11:28:19 am »

Hmm so that's how the sensor works?

My WW fluid also lit last week, but it took an entire jug of fluid!
That makes sense. On my BMW E90 3er with headlamp washers, the capacity is 6,5 litres.