Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014371 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7800 on: November 14, 2017, 07:21:39 pm »
I hate TPMS....the Slade has been giving me 'service TPMS' messages recently thanks to the battery in one of the sensors getting low. What a stupid design....I have replacement sensors on hand (from work), but I gotta unmount the tire to replace the sensor, then re-mount and balance....what a pain.

Well, if they’re from 2006 I guess it’s to be expected.  :-\

Mine’s an ‘11 and I didn’t bother to replace the TPMS batteries when I replaced the summer tires a year ago. Probably won’t need new tires again until 2021, so hopefully the batteries last that long. Agreed that it would be a pain to dismount/remount a tire just to replace a battery.

Overall though, I really like the system and wouldn’t want to be without it. Instant pressure readings at each corner: who doesn’t love that? ???

As you know, most of them don't show the exact tire pressure reading.  It's only when a significant change in pressure has occurred.  By the time it has reached that point, I don't need it to tell me to add air to my tires.  Just check your fluids and tire pressure every 2-3 months.

My '11 Yukon and '07 Suburban both show(ed) exact pressures at each corner. Guess I assumed the '06 Escalade does as well, but maybe not.

And if you only check your tire pressures every 2-3 months, that means you could be driving with a slow leak for 2-3 months. That's way too long, IMO. Ideally, you'd want to check pressures every week, but that's a PITA if you have to get down on your knees with a gauge. Not so much if you can just push a button on the dash.  ;)

Not sure if the Escalade does or does not.  I am saying most systems in general don't show the exact tire pressure.  Now if they did, that would be good.  But for those ones that just show an icon when you lose 5psi, those suck.  I check every 2-3 months and the pressure is the same, if there was a change I would check more often.

I check my oil every other fill up and it's always the same. Guess that means I'm checking too often? ???  ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7801 on: November 14, 2017, 07:29:52 pm »
I hate TPMS....the Slade has been giving me 'service TPMS' messages recently thanks to the battery in one of the sensors getting low. What a stupid design....I have replacement sensors on hand (from work), but I gotta unmount the tire to replace the sensor, then re-mount and balance....what a pain.

Mine’s an ‘11 and I didn’t bother to replace the TPMS batteries when I replaced the summer tires a year ago. Probably won’t need new tires again until 2021, so hopefully the batteries last that long. Agreed that it would be a pain to dismount/remount a tire just to replace a battery.

Overall though, I really like the system and wouldn’t want to be without it. Instant pressure readings at each corner: who doesn’t love that? ???

As you know, most of them don't show the exact tire pressure reading.  It's only when a significant change in pressure has occurred.  By the time it has reached that point, I don't need it to tell me to add air to my tires.  Just check your fluids and tire pressure every 2-3 months.

My '11 Yukon and '07 Suburban both show(ed) exact pressures at each corner. Guess I assumed the '06 Escalade does as well, but maybe not.

And if you only check your tire pressures every 2-3 months, that means you could be driving with a slow leak for 2-3 months. That's way too long, IMO. Ideally, you'd want to check pressures every week, but that's a PITA if you have to get down on your knees with a gauge. Not so much if you can just push a button on the dash.  ;)

Not sure if the Escalade does or does not.  I am saying most systems in general don't show the exact tire pressure.  Now if they did, that would be good.  But for those ones that just show an icon when you lose 5psi, those suck.  I check every 2-3 months and the pressure is the same, if there was a change I would check more often.

I check my oil every other fill up and it's always the same. Guess that means I'm checking too often? ???  ;)

Hey, whatever makes you happy.  IMO, seems too frequent. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7802 on: November 14, 2017, 07:39:21 pm »

We had the valve lifters fail on the Suburban. Truck never burned a drop of oil, until one day, all of a sudden it was down a litre. Since I was keeping on top of it, I was able to add oil and get it to the shop before any damage was done.

So, yeah, checking fluids or tire pressures frequently is usually just a waste of time. Until the one time it isn't, but you never know when that's going to be.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7803 on: November 14, 2017, 07:59:13 pm »
I control the tire pressures every 2-3 weeks.

Oil level I check whenever I get bored when driving.......which is like, everyday (courtesy of the electronic dipstick). That said, my 3er has a slow oil leak so its prudent after any higher-rpm driving, which occurs weekly.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: November 14, 2017, 08:04:46 pm »

We had the valve lifters fail on the Suburban. Truck never burned a drop of oil, until one day, all of a sudden it was down a litre. Since I was keeping on top of it, I was able to add oil and get it to the shop before any damage was done.

So, yeah, checking fluids or tire pressures frequently is usually just a waste of time. Until the one time it isn't, but you never know when that's going to be.

Guess you clear the lint trap after every load in the dryer right?  After all, a fire waiting to happen.... ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7805 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:47 pm »

06 Escalade does show you the specific pressures in each tire....Which is a nice feature, but I rarely use it. I have 4 brand new TPMS sensors on my desk at work, I'll get them installed, and get the tires rotated while it's in since they've got about 10,000K on them now.....Just seems like a lot of work for nothing, I'am happy to check the pressure old school every 2 months or so.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:47 pm »
Don't forget the oil!  :rofl:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7807 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
I usually do that every second week or so....Just force of habit. I've never needed to put a drop in the truck.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7808 on: November 14, 2017, 11:47:45 pm »
Ford does TPMS very well.  Displays individual pressures and resets automatically.  Nissan the same but needs dealer reset.  :P

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7809 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:47 am »
Ford does TPMS very well.  Displays individual pressures and resets automatically.  Nissan the same but needs dealer reset.  :P

My '13 Focus did not display individual tire pressure nor reset automatically when I was swapping winter tires (with TPMS).  Maybe they have it in the higher models....
GM does individual tire pressure in some of their cars - I know it has been doing it for Buicks for some time... not sure about auto-reset.

I prefer the VW system used in the Golf at least with no sensors in the wheel - not fancy pressure reading, but you set the baseline to whatever pressure you want and the system will warn you if the pressure drops below a certain threshold from the baseline. The driver has to take it from there and check the wheels.... simple and efficient.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: November 15, 2017, 10:35:55 am »

My '13 Focus did not display individual tire pressure nor reset automatically when I was swapping winter tires (with TPMS).  Maybe they have it in the higher models....
GM does individual tire pressure in some of their cars - I know it has been doing it for Buicks for some time... not sure about auto-reset.

I prefer the VW system used in the Golf at least with no sensors in the wheel - not fancy pressure reading, but you set the baseline to whatever pressure you want and the system will warn you if the pressure drops below a certain threshold from the baseline. The driver has to take it from there and check the wheels.... simple and efficient.

Early (like early 2000's) GM system was like that. No wheel sensors, you set your baseline by holding a big red button in the fuse panel and the system takes some measurement of the diameter of the wheels...Then calculates and monitors the diameter of the wheels as you drive via the individual speed sensors. Genius system; no sensors, no BS reset procedure. My grandmother's 2000 Buick Century has this and it works flawlessly.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7811 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:10 am »
Ford does TPMS very well.  Displays individual pressures and resets automatically.

My '07 Acura TL was the same.  Why can't they all be that simple?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:41 am »
Ditto, this type is what the call indirect TPMS, where it utilises the ABS sensors to detect the relative rotational speeds. Much simplier, doesn't require add'l sensors when you replace tires, just as reliable (if not more)......

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7813 on: November 15, 2017, 06:30:10 pm »
The parking brake light in my 97 F150 stayed on when I released the e-brake and the brakes are a bit on the spongy side, so I pulled the rear drums a couple of days ago.
The passenger side brake cylinder had been weeping for what seemed to be a long time, so I replaced it with a new one.  Luckily, I was able to replace the cylinder  by only taking the main spring for the shoes and the smaller spring for the e-brake off.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: November 15, 2017, 08:19:24 pm »
After getting the BMW back from the dealer, they didn't reinitialise the Active steering properly so it was steering crooked. They correctly set the système this morning, so aside from lost coding, no biggie.

Went ahead and put on the winter shoes this evening- no pics cuz I was working in the dark in the parking lot. Wasn't too bad, took a bit over an hour. Should have put them on last week but didn't have much time.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7815 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:59 pm »

Ya think  ???

Tech travels fast.  By 2020 radar cruise and emergency stop will be common.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:13 pm »

Ya think  ???

Tech travels fast.  By 2020 radar cruise and emergency stop will be common.

All the more reason not to buy new! 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7817 on: November 16, 2017, 09:34:30 am »
Oil Change at Great Canadian Oil Change.  We have snow on the ground, it's cold, and I don't have a garage.  I'd rather pay somebody $50 to do an oil change than lay on snow and do it myself. 

As usually, they went through the whole litany of upselling:  We recommend an engine flush, transmission fluid replacement, we've noticed a little minor weeping from the transmission pan, we have an additive we can add that swells the gasket, only a billion dollars.  Engine air filter replacement for $60 (they're $15 at Partsource), cabin air filter (easily replaced behind the glovebox) for $99.99 BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.  How do I tell them politely that I take care of all this crap in the summer, I just can't be bothered to lie in the snow and do my own oil change in the winter?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:23 am »
I'd start by saying " I take care of all this crap in the summer, I just can't be bothered to lie in the snow and do my own oil change in the winter"

It's definitely annoying, especially if they're pushing it pretty hard.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #7819 on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:16 am »
Stored the Mustang today.  I remembered to renew the license plate before taking the insurance off this time.
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish