Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013231 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6580 on: February 02, 2017, 01:49:03 pm »
did a wand wash on the jeep... was getting so bad i couldn't see out the windows... took 5 minutes for the body to look just as dirty, but at least the glass is still transparent.

Don't you have a wash bay at work that you have access to? I'm thinking no excuses  :rofl:

The snow has been washing mine lately, with the Thule on now I can't get into any automatic car washes & the coin wash is just too much hassle.

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:

Hey, the coin wash usually costs me close to $20 & then I gotta try to dry it off when it's -10 out still  :P
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6581 on: February 02, 2017, 01:50:53 pm »
$20  :o :o Holy crap man, what the hell are you doing in there?!?!?! In winter to blast the salt off, $6-8 bucks for the Montero and like $10-12 for the wifes or my trucks.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #6582 on: February 02, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »
$20  :o :o Holy crap man, what the hell are you doing in there?!?!?! In winter to blast the salt off, $6-8 bucks for the Montero and like $10-12 for the wifes or my trucks.

First I use the soap blast, then the foaming brush & then rinse the whole thing... I don't do a half assed job Fob  :rofl2:  Might do your blast idea this weekend though, just to get some of the salt off.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6583 on: February 02, 2017, 01:56:51 pm »

First I use the soap blast, then the foaming brush & then rinse the whole thing... I don't do a half assed job Fob  :rofl2:  Might do your blast idea this weekend though, just to get some of the salt off.

I only use the brush on the wifes work truck.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6584 on: February 02, 2017, 02:03:02 pm »
On the rare occasion that I use a coin-op; I go in the middle of the night and bring my own supplies (bucket, soap, sponge, etc). Use the first $3 to rinse the car and fill the bucket, then hand wash, then another $3 to rinse the car again. $6 for a fairly well-done job.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #6585 on: February 02, 2017, 02:06:31 pm »
The coin wash here in town is too much trouble. It requires you buy tokens first and then  use them and of course any left over are useless for anything else. Next nearest one is Shelburne but it's often full and I don't line up at car washes or gas pumps.

The van IS dirty enough though from the run to London yesterday and frozen slush adding weight to the back I might just go down next week and give it a blast anyways since I have to go to Orangeville Tuesday anyways..
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6586 on: February 06, 2017, 09:39:34 am »
oh, when i coin wash, it's a 3 dollar job... i'm not making it spotless, just cleanish.

as for the work thing... a couple guys were taking advantage of it and now i can't do it, even after my shift is done... sucks. i used to pull my jeep in the bay when i was closing... it at least kept it warmer and melted snow off... then IF i had time, i could at least rinse it off... now, i just don't get the time.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6587 on: February 10, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »
Mangled the antenna of my cell booster while cleaning snow off of the truck this morning.  :P

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6588 on: February 10, 2017, 07:44:18 pm »
So one of my wiper fluid sprayer on my 2004 sienna was defective.   little piece of plastic maybe 2cm X1cmX1cm.  same size of the kinder surprise eggs toys i buy to my daughter, probably same type of plastic too.

guess how much the dealer wants for that..?.....$46..!!! nope not paying that.... now trying to find some universal nozzles @ canadian tire or princess auto

Go to a u-pull wrecking yard and grab a replacement and a few spares.  My fave yard wouldn't charge me for small stuff like that.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: February 11, 2017, 08:41:03 am »
So one of my wiper fluid sprayer on my 2004 sienna was defective.   little piece of plastic maybe 2cm X1cmX1cm.  same size of the kinder surprise eggs toys i buy to my daughter, probably same type of plastic too.

guess how much the dealer wants for that..?.....$46..!!! nope not paying that.... now trying to find some universal nozzles @ canadian tire or princess auto

Buy it online...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6590 on: February 11, 2017, 01:14:38 pm »

Odd, at work last week I actually just added a whole line of washer nozzle to the Dorman program at CT and PartSource, the Sienna one was one of them. Since it just got added a few days ago, it'll be a few weeks before it's in inventory, that said, any PartSource store should be able to source it for you same day or next day. I am not sure what the retail $ eneed up at, but I can check for you on Monday if you want.

This is it here:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-76184-47189.aspx?year=2004&make=Toyota&model=Sienna&parttype=Windshield%2520Washer%2520Nozzle&origin=YMM

Also, not sure where your located, but if you're in the GTA, I am about 95% sure I have a set of  have a set o these in my office, they were sent went i was considering the program. If you want to pick them up (midtown toronto during the day, west mississauga in the evenings) let me know and they're yours.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: February 11, 2017, 08:07:55 pm »
Changed the oil on the Mazda and the Honda bike.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #6592 on: February 12, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »
Finally fixed my trunk key cylinder that has not worked in at least a year. Took the cylinder apart and cleaned and lubed all the pins, works like a charm again. Also orderd a new trunk lid spring and will install it when it arrives. Figured I would try to find one at a wreckers and most were either too lazy to look it uo when i called. One place quoted me $75! Called up the dealer, $30... Weird...
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #6593 on: February 12, 2017, 08:35:39 pm »
Pulled the engine on my dune buggy today, so I can replace the leaking rear main seal.

I also finished installing the rear disc brake kit, new brake lines, and new shocks.

Next, I'll install the front disc brake kit, front brake lines, tie rods, and ball joints.

With all the damn snow we're getting I'm glad I've got something to keep me occupied.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: February 12, 2017, 08:39:41 pm »
Those rear discs look SERIOUS! Nice job.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: February 12, 2017, 09:23:38 pm »
Very cool, great setup too! Not much too the buggy when you see it stripped down like that huh.

I assume there's no pre-bent brake line kit for that thing, so you're making them yourself? If so, what line material are you working with?

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: February 12, 2017, 09:45:22 pm »
Took my red head for a ride.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6597 on: February 13, 2017, 07:04:25 am »
Took my red head for a ride.

:love:  That's a lucky dog.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #6598 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:06 pm »
Very cool, great setup too! Not much too the buggy when you see it stripped down like that huh.

I assume there's no pre-bent brake line kit for that thing, so you're making them yourself? If so, what line material are you working with?

The new brake lines come made to length from an aftermarket company that makes VW parts, but they're not pre-bent.  I bought a cheap brake line bender, but half the time it was easy just to bend the line by hand.
The hardest job is shaping the brake line from the front master cylinder to the back 'T' connector, located at the back of the car.  The new line is standard Beetle length, but my buggy's pan is 13 inches shorter, so I'll have to add some fancy bends to make it fit.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: February 13, 2017, 04:32:02 pm »
Not something I wanted to be doing but well..........

Under, boy am I an idiot:

So, I went out to clean the snow off the satellite for MiLady. Of course she is now kinda' pissed at me because I'm not allowed on ladders or high up, etc as I am considered a "falling risk". that and my hearty hasn't enough stamina for climbing, but hey, I'm stubborn.....and the job needed doing sooo.........

So far no car involved, right? heh.

Well, since I don't have a ladder big enough and it's already parked there where I need to go, i used my van as a "ladder" since after all it HAS a ladder on the back end..........

I take a broom up and while I'm up there figure I may as well get some of the snow that's a foot or more deep on the roof. And so, I start working my way towards the area where I can reach the satellite. And I see there's a good coat of ice on the roof so thinking maybe I should break it up so it isn't flying off on the highway tomorrow I use the end of the broom handle to break it up. So good so far...........

Aaaaaaannnnnd, "crack", put a hole in the rear roof vent that vents the bathroom. brittle 30 year old plastic. It was hidden by the ice. WHOOPS!!! Uh oh. So, begins me trying to get the thing open as everything is frozen. I hear my wife poke her head out "You better not be climbing on the roof!!"  :rofl2:

'Are you on the roof?"

......to which I honestly answer "no" since I am back on the ground getting the back doors open to access the vent from inside.  ;D

So, basic thing is I don't want it to get wet inside so what to do? I get the vent open after a lot of going out and trying not to break it prying and going inside to crank it and.........

I go in the house and get a couple of grocery bags abnd then line the area above the screen for the vent and hopefully when closing the vent I have caught enough of it to keep it waterproof. I can't use duct tape or anything as it's icy up there and cold so won't stick. Hopefully this will hold enough until I can replace the vent in the Spring. Might be tricky finding one as it's a smaller than usual vent.

I am taking duct tape tomorrow in case the sun peeks out but it doesn't look like the temp will be warm enough for it to stick. So, hoping this temporary repair will hold up. Temps are going up to 6-7C Saturday maybe with sun so might be able to get a window to seal it better then. I'll be using the Olds anyways between getting back tomorrow and then so fingers crossed!. ;D