Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011545 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3600 on: December 17, 2014, 10:13:45 pm »
I just hope it doesn't happen to me in the middle of nowhere.

That's why you take it in preemptively, isn't it?

That would be great, but the warranty doesn't work that way. Have to wait for the part to actually fail before VW will replace it. And IIRC, the replacement cost is about a grand, so not something I'll pay for out of my own pocket just in case.  :-\

But, the upside is that once the manifold is off (on VW's dime), the car is ready to have the intake valves cleaned (which VW won't otherwise pay for.) So a valve cleaning will only cost me a couple hundred bucks instead of $5-600. So now I'm hoping the manifold fails before the valves need to be cleaned.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:16:57 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: December 17, 2014, 10:15:56 pm »

That would be great, but the warranty doesn't work that way. Have to wait for the part to actually fail before VW will replace it. And IIRC, the replacement cost is about a grand, so not something I'll pay for out of my own pocket just in case.  :-\

OH!!  So it's not a recall?  Got it...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: December 21, 2014, 08:51:22 am »

But, the upside is that once the manifold is off (on VW's dime), the car is ready to have the intake valves cleaned (which VW won't otherwise pay for.) So a valve cleaning will only cost me a couple hundred bucks instead of $5-600. So now I'm hoping the manifold fails before the valves need to be cleaned.

Oh the joys of direct injection. >:(  How many kilometers on the GTI?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3603 on: December 21, 2014, 10:15:46 am »
Anybody use seafoam on a vacuum line?  Might be better than $600 at the dealer... Though I'm sure the dealer does a better job (hopefully).

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #3604 on: December 21, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Intake spray cleaner instead?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: December 21, 2014, 10:44:32 am »
GTI has 82,000 kms on it now. Runs fine, but sometimes has a very slight hesitation that I wonder if might be an indication that the valves are due for cleaning. Otherwise not really bothered about it for now.

I'm not going to mess around with Seafoam. I could maybe see using it regularly as a kind of preventative maintenance, but don't think it would be effective on badly caked-up valves. If anything, I'd be scared of it dislodging a chunk and having it go through the engine.

I haven't had to look into it too closely yet, but there are indie mechanics who do the valve cleanings all the time and charge considerably less than the dealer. And it's not too hard a job to DIY, just a PITA as lots of parts need to come off just to get access for the cleaning.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3606 on: December 26, 2014, 10:48:52 pm »
Coming close to 2000km on the Mazda6, maybe next month. I expect to only do 1000km a month on that car.  Did 500km the last 3 days with the Honda.  But still only 190,000km

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3607 on: December 26, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: December 30, 2014, 07:23:44 pm »
Got the truck back today and it was in fact the throttle position sensor that went on the fritz, repaired under warranty.

Also had them change all the fluids while it was in (truck is 4 yrs old w/ 80k kms): synthetic oil & filter, Trans fluid & filter, transfer case fluid, brake fluid, & coolant. Rear diff fluid was changed last year, and leaking front diff seal was fixed under warranty a couple years ago with fluid topped up then.

Cost $850 for all the fluids changed - I was expecting more. Could have saved $$$ by doing it myself, but the truck doesn't fit in the garage and I'm not keen to lie on my back in our gravel driveway. I plan on keepng the truck forever, so don't mind spending some money on preventive maintenance.

And great service from our local dealer, as usual: the service writer actually tried to talk me out of changing the brake fluid, saying GM doesn't recommend it (lifetime fill  ::) ). I think it's smart anyway, and was pleasantly surprised to find the brake pedal much firmer now. Guess it needed to be bled anyway.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #3609 on: December 31, 2014, 11:34:19 am »
Could have saved $$$ by doing it myself, but the truck doesn't fit in the garage and I'm not keen to lie on my back in our gravel driveway.

I put a tonneau cover (the cheapest Access one, TonnoSport I think) on my wife's GMC yesterday - borrowed my buddy's (heated) garage to do it.  There was < 2 inches of clearance on either side mirror (and not towing mirrors!), and < 3 inches from the front and rear bumpers to the garage door/back wall.  And this is only the extended cab / 6.6' box version.  After watching me cram that rig into his garage, there's no way my buddy will ever buy a full-size truck!   

Couldn't use my garage, as the tent trailer is "camped" in there for the winter.  And the garage isn't heated.  Last time I put a tonneau cover on the F150 it was a warmish Feb day, but I still froze my hands off.  At -20C, I figured I'd find a nice warm place to do it this time - was going to use Superstore's underground parking, but apparently they frown on performing automotive maintenance there  ;)

Next up, replacing a headlight and DRL on the ET.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: December 31, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »
Added air to a tire.  It seems to have a very slow leak.   :(

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: December 31, 2014, 05:59:35 pm »

Replaced the alternator in the wife's Expedition - relatively easy but not great outside, in the driveway, in December. The battery was pretty hopeless too so replaced it as well.

Offline skypoint

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • Give me a turbo or give me death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: December 31, 2014, 08:39:27 pm »
Not quite a today post since it happened last night.

Picked up my brand new Mercedes GLK 250 Bluetec from the dealership at 6:30pm.

Got rear ended at 7:30pm.
Black 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3613 on: December 31, 2014, 08:51:14 pm »
How seriously?  Post a pic if possible.

Offline skypoint

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: December 31, 2014, 08:56:46 pm »
Luckily not very seriously - no body work damage. There's a scratch on the chrome trim, some plastic mesh design in the bumper is warped, and a little bit of his car's colour came off on my bumper (a 1.5 inch line 3mm thick on my white bumper).

I'd normally not be bothered by since the car was fresh off the showroom floor I'm not going to be happy till it's fully restored to showroom condition. The Benz dealership have their bodyshop guy coming to look at it this Friday morning and to give a quote to fix it. If the other guy won't settle cash at that point I'll have his insurance pay it up.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3615 on: December 31, 2014, 08:59:14 pm »
Great....congrats!

and.......

Oh Man....that sucks!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline skypoint

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: December 31, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »
It's a real annoyance because I had a bunch of work scheduled for my car next week - Paint Protection Film application over the front end and cQuartz Finest coating all over. Now if I don't get this fixed by the end of Monday then all that will need to be rescheduled.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: December 31, 2014, 09:28:41 pm »

Congrats on the new car and bummer. :(

Northernridge

« Reply #3618 on: December 31, 2014, 09:33:17 pm »

Congrats and man that sucks. Hope the damage is not too bad and you're back in action soon.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3619 on: December 31, 2014, 11:05:18 pm »
The Benz dealership have their bodyshop guy coming to look at it this Friday morning and to give a quote to fix it.  If the other guy won't settle cash at that point I'll have his insurance pay it up.

Realize the Bodyshop guy picked by the Benz dealer will routinely adjust the damage at very inflated prices.  Best to tell him that you are actually picking up the tab personally for reasons that you prefer not to discuss so as to temper his "Benz" pricing.

The reason being is that if the tab is stupidly inflated and the other party momentarily has a lapse of judgement and does go thru insurance your vehicle will suffer an immediate and permanent "diminished value".  Hence, extra patience might be required to stick handle the negotiations.