Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013991 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #2740 on: June 17, 2014, 07:21:34 pm »
Got an estimate to repair the damage to my Miata's front bumper, caused by some woman crashing into it while trying to get out of her parking spot.  Our cars were parallel parked on the street and she backed into mine.

At least she was kind enough to leave me a note, taking responsibility for the damage.  Not like the pr!ck who sideswiped my car more than a year ago and just took off.

Seems to happen a lot these days, with bigger vehicles, and people paying less attention.  Even with backup cameras this still happens.  Which is why I try to avoid parking on the street as much as possible, or if I have to, where someone has backed into their spot..

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2741 on: June 17, 2014, 09:01:05 pm »
At least she was kind enough to leave me a note, taking responsibility for the damage.  Not like the pr!ck who sideswiped my car more than a year ago and just took off.

Bump and runs are a direct result of Ontario Insurance Policy approved by the Ontario Government.  All motorists should have the legal option of paying out of pocket.  Currently they DO NOT! 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2742 on: June 17, 2014, 10:54:03 pm »

Bump and runs are a direct result of Ontario Insurance Policy approved by the Ontario Government.  All motorists should have the legal option of paying out of pocket.  Currently they DO NOT!

Spot on Sir!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: June 17, 2014, 11:54:12 pm »

I know your the insurance expert.  But why does the collision centre ask me if I want to pay cash or through insurance?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: June 17, 2014, 11:56:47 pm »
Washed the bird poop off of it.
We are expecting thundershowers this pm to do that on my car!

Same here, waiting for the rain to start.  Damned birds made a low pass bombing run while I was on the highway.  They hit the bumper, hood and windshield.   I can't use the water hose today due to local outdoor water use by-laws but ok tomorrow.

I thought that only happens during heat waves and such, droughts...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2745 on: June 18, 2014, 12:17:32 am »
Went through a wash a few times today. It was free and completely natural   :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2746 on: June 18, 2014, 12:58:13 pm »

I know your the insurance expert.  But why does the collision centre ask me if I want to pay cash or through insurance?

Once your insurance company receives notice that you've had a collision, regardless of it being claimed, it counts as an at fault.  Could be a $200 nick in a private parking lot or a 5 million dollar natural gas explosion being the result of you sheering off a gas main.  :)

Consequently, many ppl that would normal come forward on minor bumps do not.  If one does find themselves in a situation where they have nicked someone's vehicle, just leave a phone number; NO NAME.  When they call, DO NOT admit that it was you.  Simply say you will be glad to pay and make arrangements.  If the other party it's cool about it and presses you for a personal confession, terminate the call.  Police can do nothing and will do nothing.

The consequence of an at fault accident doubles your rate for 6 to 9 years.  If you get a simple ticket in that period it becomes not so simple.  If you have another at fault, you're DONE.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2747 on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:31 pm »
If one does find themselves in a situation where they have nicked someone's vehicle, just leave a phone number; NO NAME.  When they call, DO NOT admit that it was you.  Simply say you will be glad to pay and make arrangements.  If the other party it's cool about it and presses you for a personal confession, terminate the call.  Police can do nothing and will do nothing.

thanks. helpful for sure.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 18, 2014, 04:13:47 pm »
That is so upsetting.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2749 on: June 18, 2014, 04:51:06 pm »
Miata has four fresh liters of Amsoil Signature 10W30 and an Amsoil oil filter.  The Miata is impossible to get under and I avoid raising it by using my LiquiVac.  Awesome device.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: June 18, 2014, 05:52:09 pm »
Very cool,  must make it a snap.

"Recharged" the trucks K&N filter.  From what I gather it hasn't been done in three years.

Granted it's only done 30,000km or so,  almost all of it highway or rural roads.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2751 on: June 18, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »
Moved the Ctek charger from the Spitfire to the SLK.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2752 on: June 18, 2014, 07:34:02 pm »
Replaced the burnt rear passenger side flasher bulb.  Also put on the Michelin wiper blades that I bought almost 2 years ago... :P

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: June 18, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

Once your insurance company receives notice that you've had a collision, regardless of it being claimed, it counts as an at fault.  Could be a $200 nick in a private parking lot or a 5 million dollar natural gas explosion being the result of you sheering off a gas main.  :)

Consequently, many ppl that would normal come forward on minor bumps do not.  If one does find themselves in a situation where they have nicked someone's vehicle, just leave a phone number; NO NAME.  When they call, DO NOT admit that it was you.  Simply say you will be glad to pay and make arrangements.  If the other party it's cool about it and presses you for a personal confession, terminate the call.  Police can do nothing and will do nothing.

The consequence of an at fault accident doubles your rate for 6 to 9 years.  If you get a simple ticket in that period it becomes not so simple.  If you have another at fault, you're DONE.

Guess that's the extreme case.  If someone were to leave me a note, with there name and number.  And offered to pay cash to fix it, then I wouldn't call the insurance company (I may ask for it, just in case)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: June 19, 2014, 10:41:13 pm »
Removed the plastic engine cover to check on the belt.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: June 20, 2014, 06:00:49 am »
Hooked it up to the battey charger after my wife left the key in the on position after rolling up the windows last night before going downstairs to watch tv.  Of course when it got dark the auto lights came on and drained the battery and somehow locked the fakin doors and the door code would not work cuz the battery is dead. Where's the spare key dear?  Uh....i dunno...thot you had them?  Almost ahour later she digs them out of an old purse she hasn't used in months.... >:(. This just before going to bed last night... :P

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: June 20, 2014, 12:56:11 pm »
Replaced the burnt rear passenger side flasher bulb.  Also put on the Michelin wiper blades that I bought almost 2 years ago... :P

Hope you have better luck with your Michelin wiper blades than I did.  Used them one season, and found the OEM Bosch did a better job.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: June 20, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »

Hope you have better luck with your Michelin wiper blades than I did.  Used them one season, and found the OEM Bosch did a better job.

Yeah, i figured as much.  It was one of those spontaneous buys from costco.  Had intentions of returning them but forgot, so figured i may as well try them now.  Havent had to use them yet.   :-\

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2758 on: June 20, 2014, 04:02:39 pm »

Yeah, i figured as much.  It was one of those spontaneous buys from costco.  Had intentions of returning them but forgot, so figured i may as well try them now.  Havent had to use them yet.   :-\

I've had them on my truck for a few months now, work great so far, but we'll see how they last.  Great performance for the price so far.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: June 20, 2014, 08:25:00 pm »
Washed the bugs off my bug.