Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3042650 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #19400 on: August 13, 2024, 07:10:08 pm »
Went for its second last drive today and tomorrow will be the last drive to the dealer. Took the longer way around enjoying the quiet roads while listening to music. Going to miss the Corolla. Approx 2.5 years and 90,000 km.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19401 on: August 13, 2024, 07:16:34 pm »
Went for its second last drive today and tomorrow will be the last drive to the dealer. Took the longer way around enjoying the quiet roads while listening to music. Going to miss the Corolla. Approx 2.5 years and 90,000 km.
Just a great car!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #19402 on: August 14, 2024, 07:52:04 am »

Did Hannibalsmith end up buying the Corolla in the end?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19403 on: August 14, 2024, 10:58:55 am »
That is crazy mileage for two years, wow! But easy highway miles, that would have been a good buy

Myself I gave the vehicles a polish the other day, the old RX still shines up nicely, as does the Crosstrek, while the longboard is is in its element now in the summer:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #19404 on: August 17, 2024, 09:37:46 pm »
Spent about 2 hours detailing the engine bay in the Formula, was really nervous about using too much water due to all the aftermarket electronics in there, and the infamous LT1 optispark, but I am pretty happy with the outcome.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19405 on: August 17, 2024, 10:34:09 pm »

Spent about 2 hours detailing the engine bay in the Formula, was really nervous about using too much water due to all the aftermarket electronics in there, and the infamous LT1 optispark, but I am pretty happy with the outcome.

Looks great!!! Ah, yeah, the lovely optispark.

So, what's your trick to get around most of the electronics? I usually just try not to use as much direct water around those places. I've also put a plastic bag on the alternator to keep it from getting soaked. Also, some engine degreaser & brushes help immensely.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #19406 on: August 17, 2024, 10:42:33 pm »

That's a stout looking strut brace.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #19407 on: August 17, 2024, 11:06:44 pm »
Thanks guys. I used a water bucket with some SuperClean in it, and then straight SuperClean in a spray bottle for the tough spots. For electronics, I use a tooth brush with some of the SuperClean water on it. If it's really sensitive I'll shake out most of the water first. Some old microfibers really help too. There isn't really any trick to it, just patience and scrubbing with a couple different size brushes. I also use a sponge to get some of the bigger areas, or clean up excess water.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19408 on: August 19, 2024, 11:16:10 am »
Put about 1700km on the MDX over the last few days with a trip to southern Alberta (south of High River with a day spent in Kananaskis country).  Blew out a rear tire doing 130km/h on the highway on the way there. Pulling off to the shoulder was uneventful, the vehicle handled fine with the flat.  The blow out was odd, almost like the sidewall was sliced with a knife, very clean.  I didn't notice hitting anything prior, but I'm guessing I hit something that sliced the tire. 

Prior to me starting to change the tire out with the compact spare, I set a couple suitcase out behind the vehicle to act as pylons.  There was only a partial shoulder on this highway, so part of the MDX was in the travel lane.  Transport trucks didn't give a :censor:, no slowing down as they passed.  One passed so close at one point it blew the suitcases into the ditch and my shirt came up over my head as I was bent over changing tires.  Unnerving to say the least.

Anyway, called a bunch of tires shops once I had the tire changed and found one 50km away that had the right sized tire to put on so I didn't have to hobble another 200km to the destination with the compact.  The tire was used, but they got me in right away so we could get back on the road.  I ran the rest of the trip on the used tire, but should replace it.  We are considering ditching the MDX in favor of a newer one, so I may just leave it as is if I trade it in.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19409 on: August 19, 2024, 11:25:24 am »
Definitely a few pucker moments there. Changing a tire on the side of a highway is absolutely terrifying, glad you got it done safely.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19410 on: August 19, 2024, 11:47:10 am »
Stripped the interior of the Datsun and started repair the front floors.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19411 on: August 19, 2024, 02:42:30 pm »
Definitely a few pucker moments there. Changing a tire on the side of a highway is absolutely terrifying, glad you got it done safely.
:iagree:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #19412 on: August 19, 2024, 03:25:18 pm »
Yikes, that's a scary situation.  Glad you are none the worse for wear.

A few years back an RCMP officer was killed near Sackville when he pulled over to help someone in a similar situation.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19413 on: August 19, 2024, 03:31:32 pm »
Mrs BC wanted me to call a tow truck, thinking of the safety aspect of it; flashing lights, requirement to slow to 60 while passing emergency vehicle, etc.  Likely would have been safer but would have extended the down time by a couple hours.  Can't have that  :rofl2:.  Once I had the spare pulled out it took about 5 min to swap tires.

Oh, and check your spares if you have one.  I can't remember the last time I checked the spare on the MDX.  Its probably been years.  Thankfully it still had 60psi in it.  And another bonus was that the MDX held the full size wheel underneath where the spare was.  We already had a full load with the luggage/dog. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 03:33:35 pm by bridgecity »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19414 on: August 19, 2024, 04:10:38 pm »
I'd have rode on a bare rim to the next exit if I had to, because a used rim is a few hundred bucks but despite of what my avatar would suggest, I don't have 9 lives left. Glad you are OK.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19415 on: August 19, 2024, 04:24:03 pm »
Mrs BC wanted me to call a tow truck, thinking of the safety aspect of it; flashing lights, requirement to slow to 60 while passing emergency vehicle, etc.  Likely would have been safer but would have extended the down time by a couple hours.  Can't have that  :rofl2:.  Once I had the spare pulled out it took about 5 min to swap tires.

Oh, and check your spares if you have one.  I can't remember the last time I checked the spare on the MDX.  Its probably been years.  Thankfully it still had 60psi in it.  And another bonus was that the MDX held the full size wheel underneath where the spare was.  We already had a full load with the luggage/dog.

Offf man, thats a dangerous situation but I agree, no way I would have waited for a tow truck, I would rather turn the rim into a cereal bowl and find a side road than do that most places on the highway because of the slack jawed steering wheel holders that do not move over.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19416 on: August 19, 2024, 04:26:15 pm »
Put about 3000km on the Tundra in the last week with a trip to Brandon and then a lot of sightseeing in Southern Manitoba, saw a museum in Shilo, first visit to a hunting cabin of one of the wifes uncles and put a few clay pigeons down...all in all, a decent trip. Truck did about 16L/100kms the whole time, so not terrible at all.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19417 on: August 19, 2024, 04:30:53 pm »

Offf man, thats a dangerous situation but I agree, no way I would have waited for a tow truck, I would rather turn the rim into a cereal bowl and find a side road than do that most places on the highway because of the slack jawed steering wheel holders that do not move over.

Ya, thought about driving on the rim to an approach, but then if my rim was ruined I'd likely be hooped for the trip unless I could have sourced one quickly.  I really wasn't anticipating transports blowing by that close at full speed.  I'm guessing at least 5 went by me (nevermind the other traffic), and not one slowed down a bit. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19418 on: August 19, 2024, 04:34:01 pm »

Ya, thought about driving on the rim to an approach, but then if my rim was ruined I'd likely be hooped for the trip unless I could have sourced one quickly.  I really wasn't anticipating transports blowing by that close at full speed.  I'm guessing at least 5 went by me (nevermind the other traffic), and not one slowed down a bit.

Saw so many transports driving like complete jackwagons on the way to and from Manitoba on Hwy 16 and #1, just couldn't believe the lack of skill and professionalism.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #19419 on: August 19, 2024, 06:47:29 pm »

Glad you're safe.  A good reminder about the spare PSI.  Never hurts to check it, especially if you have an upcoming road trip.