Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3042794 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #19280 on: May 15, 2024, 12:32:13 pm »
First gen LS FTW!

More of a classic/hobby car than a daily driver by now. Plain age gets to a lot of components.

How so? I have a buddy who dailies a  late eighties C/K pickup.   ;D

Hoses, rubber, gaskets - anything plastic / rubber dries. Simple maintenance, but it adds up on a dd.

It does but it slowly gets replaced over time. Keep the rust at bay and vehicles last a long long time for not much $$$. Vehicle reliability is what sewered the auto industry, you don't make big $$ selling KTM a car every 20 years.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #19281 on: May 15, 2024, 11:51:30 pm »
First gen LS FTW!

More of a classic/hobby car than a daily driver by now. Plain age gets to a lot of components.

How so? I have a buddy who dailies a  late eighties C/K pickup.   ;D

Hoses, rubber, gaskets - anything plastic / rubber dries. Simple maintenance, but it adds up on a dd.

It does but it slowly gets replaced over time. Keep the rust at bay and vehicles last a long long time for not much $$$. Vehicle reliability is what sewered the auto industry, you don't make big $$ selling KTM a car every 20 years.  ;D

If one was inclined, you could probably replace every piece of rubber on a late 80's C/K truck in your driveway for less than it costs to replace the electronic rear hatch motor on a CX-5. Lots of 80's and 90's stuff still doing daily duty in southern climates

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19282 on: May 16, 2024, 04:38:28 am »

The LS (post Gen1) has expensive air suspension issues, from what we've read here.

Not really. They are just expensive to replace.

I had one (just one) fail at approx. 200,000 kms...not a terribly unreasonable lifespan for a shock of any type IMO.

Lexus remains a perennial gold standard of automotive reliability.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #19283 on: May 17, 2024, 11:00:03 am »
Hehe, so we spent $2500 on an extended warranty that includes coverage on all the 'luxury' features when we bought the car. This will be covered, minus a $100 deductible.  Other inclusions are the auto climate control, infotainment screen, driving assists,etc. On top of all the usual powertrain stuff.

:cheers:

We did the same thing with the RX when we got it, mostly as it was our first modern vehicle with all the gizmos and it was coming off warranty fairly quickly. Paid for itself as well when the radio died. Looks like it might come in handy if our hatch ever gives trouble

Have to say for me that I wish power hatches (and pano roofs) were always optional

Whoah whoah whoah, back up... A Lexus had a dead radio?  What happened to the relentless pursuit of perfection? Or is the LS only?

The LS (post Gen1) has expensive air suspension issues, from what we've read here. Friend's Gen2 RX was an overall lemon. IS and ES are the sure bets these days.

Nah... the air isn't the problem, and not on LS 430s anyway, which is the third generation car. The fourth-gen (LS 460 which I have extensive experience in) is by far the least reliable (and best to drive, IMHO) variant, but the issues aren't the air suspension. It's the front control arms on AWD cars and the sheer cost to replace them, and the electronic brake actuator modules.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19284 on: May 17, 2024, 01:45:50 pm »
Hehe, so we spent $2500 on an extended warranty that includes coverage on all the 'luxury' features when we bought the car. This will be covered, minus a $100 deductible.  Other inclusions are the auto climate control, infotainment screen, driving assists,etc. On top of all the usual powertrain stuff.

We did the same thing with the RX when we got it, mostly as it was our first modern vehicle with all the gizmos and it was coming off warranty fairly quickly. Paid for itself as well when the radio died. Looks like it might come in handy if our hatch ever gives trouble

Have to say for me that I wish power hatches (and pano roofs) were always optional

Whoah whoah whoah, back up... A Lexus had a dead radio?  What happened to the relentless pursuit of perfection? Or is the LS only?

The LS (post Gen1) has expensive air suspension issues, from what we've read here. Friend's Gen2 RX was an overall lemon. IS and ES are the sure bets these days.

Nah... the air isn't the problem, and not on LS 430s anyway, which is the third generation car. The fourth-gen (LS 460 which I have extensive experience in) is by far the least reliable (and best to drive, IMHO) variant, but the issues aren't the air suspension. It's the front control arms on AWD cars and the sheer cost to replace them, and the electronic brake actuator modules.
Would love a 2016-2017

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #19285 on: May 18, 2024, 09:07:10 am »
Yesterday - had the Bilsteins installed.  Wife says it drives firmer...and it skips over railway tracks (did before too - guess she didn't notice before. Have to drive it myself when I get a chance and see how it feels).  I imagine it should be stiffer being they're new and not 11 yrs old.  Also said it feels like the back end is higher.  Not sure, never (ever) done shocks on a truck before (never had one long enough) - would it lift the back end up?  Shouldn't...what do I know.  I'm thinking it should be nicer pulling the camper if it's a little firmer.  We'll see if Northernridge was right about them smoothing out washboard.  Maybe he was a shill for Bilstein.  ;D

Also replaced one caliper that was sticking, both sides rear pads (fronts were still over 50% so they stayed), one front lower control arm with a wiggly ball joint, rear diff fluids...rotated the tires (they're off - why not guys? Hope that didn't cost extra lol)...might be it.  Find out when I get the bill I guess.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #19286 on: May 19, 2024, 01:12:16 pm »
Had to replace the battery in the Frontier again.  Battery was just under 1 year old.  Dummy me drained it by leaving the accessory key on over night and it wouldn't take a charge afterward.  Put the Noco charger on it for almost 2 days and nogo.  Anyway, Costco came good for a full refund and the same replacement was actually $4 cheaper than last time.  ;D  No replacement drama on this old beast.  Just have to set the clock afterward and that's it. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 01:14:25 pm by KD »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19287 on: May 19, 2024, 03:58:23 pm »
Yesterday - had the Bilsteins installed.  Wife says it drives firmer...and it skips over railway tracks (did before too - guess she didn't notice before. Have to drive it myself when I get a chance and see how it feels).  I imagine it should be stiffer being they're new and not 11 yrs old.  Also said it feels like the back end is higher.  Not sure, never (ever) done shocks on a truck before (never had one long enough) - would it lift the back end up?  Shouldn't...what do I know.  I'm thinking it should be nicer pulling the camper if it's a little firmer.  We'll see if Northernridge was right about them smoothing out washboard.  Maybe he was a shill for Bilstein.  ;D

Also replaced one caliper that was sticking, both sides rear pads (fronts were still over 50% so they stayed), one front lower control arm with a wiggly ball joint, rear diff fluids...rotated the tires (they're off - why not guys? Hope that didn't cost extra lol)...might be it.  Find out when I get the bill I guess.

I recall installing yellow-blue Billseins on the rear axle of my FJ cruiser. It then felt much better than stock - the "jumpiness" of the axle has noticeably decreased and the truck would soak up road bumps and holes better as well. There was no change in ride height. It's just the truck felt more premium. IIRC Billsteins were a factory option on some trim, like a TRD or something like it.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #19288 on: May 19, 2024, 06:20:04 pm »
Had to replace the battery in the Frontier again.  Battery was just under 1 year old.  Dummy me drained it by leaving the accessory key on over night and it wouldn't take a charge afterward.  Put the Noco charger on it for almost 2 days and nogo.  Anyway, Costco came good for a full refund and the same replacement was actually $4 cheaper than last time.  ;D  No replacement drama on this old beast.  Just have to set the clock afterward and that's it.

I've seen where a smart charger won't cycle and charge a battery, but put it on a dumb charger for an hour and then the smart one can take over.  Doesn't matter if it has warranty though, get a new battery
Mr Pickypants

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #19289 on: May 19, 2024, 06:22:51 pm »

I've seen where a smart charger won't cycle and charge a battery, but put it on a dumb charger for an hour and then the smart one can take over.  Doesn't matter if it has warranty though, get a new battery
Was just going to post the same thing.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19290 on: May 24, 2024, 05:23:32 pm »
Well...that hurts.  But...it's probably not unreasonable...  :P  Not sure the truck needed ceramic brake pads... :think:

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #19291 on: May 24, 2024, 05:46:54 pm »

Would love a 2016-2017

I have a line on one... I hand-picked it for my uncle in Florida a couple years ago. It's a '17 black/black F-Sport with air ride, RWD and every possible option. Thing has like 30,000 miles on it now. Uncle wants one last "fun car" so loosely shopping Panamera Sport Turismos... the deal is that I get his Lexus for virtually free. No idea what I'd do with it, but it'd probably be a great replacement for my mom's ultra-low mileage '09 AWD.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19292 on: May 24, 2024, 06:01:19 pm »

Must be a 2013 Ford feature  :stick:.  I didn't have any skip even on the wore out ones with 250k.  On a side note, back in 2010 or so used to drive a Chevy Colorado once in a while for work.  That thing was scary crossing angled tracks.

Any feedback from yourself yet on the ride of the Bilsteins?  You notice a difference?  Based on your invoice the shop was very reasonable with the time.  Rear pads and caliper seem a bit lengthy but pretty minor when you look at everything else.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19293 on: May 24, 2024, 06:18:56 pm »
Funny enough, I haven't even driven it yet, so all I got is her saying "nothing's different" - but then she's got about as much mechanical sympathy as a goat.  She only knows the tire is low because the truck says it's low.   ;D

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19294 on: May 24, 2024, 06:54:40 pm »

Would love a 2016-2017

I have a line on one...

I'm jealous already!!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #19295 on: May 26, 2024, 12:47:03 am »
Long weekend here, splitting my time between a couple house projects and some car stuff. Today, on the car side, I replace the A/C condenser in the Green Firebird; AC was dead when we got the car, I recharged it and it didn't even last 24 hours, so a fairly big leak. Couldn't see anything with the UV light, but using an electronic 'freon sniffer' I got a hit near the top of condenser.

Job wasn't that bad, worst part was someone had installed an aftermarket auxiliary trans cooler that was in the way so had to be removed first, gave the rad fins a good cleaning too while I was in there.

Temp today was around 90F, but feeling like 101F, so AC repairs felt like the right thing to do  ;D I was very grateful for this shady area to work in.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 01:13:25 am by Firm »

Offline Woodrow

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: accord
« Reply #19296 on: May 26, 2024, 07:49:39 am »
Brings to mind the term “shade tree mechanic”

:heart:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19297 on: May 27, 2024, 09:45:09 pm »
Well, it was good for 2 days, today, no A/C at all. Got the old UV light going and now the compressor is soaked, and I had thoroughly inspected it prior to doing the condenser, so I can only assume that the pressure from usage, with the fresh condenser flowing properly, blew out the seals in the compressor, or something like that. Oh well, old car life......

Unfortunately the compressor looks like a real pita to change, will need to have it on the lift and plan for a full day of cursing...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 10:36:37 pm by Firm »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19298 on: May 27, 2024, 10:24:32 pm »

Unfortunately the compressor looks like a real pita to change, will need to have it on the lift and plan for a full day of cursing...

Yuck.

I remember jobs like that.

Am glad I'm too old to tackle them these days!

I'll raise my glass to you tonight!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19299 on: May 27, 2024, 10:41:01 pm »
yeah, irritating. I'll get it done though, I am determined to have cold air, lol. We've actually been using the car quite a bit because it's a ton of fun....but not when it's 100F out and there's no AC.