Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043833 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18940 on: February 23, 2024, 10:27:43 pm »
The only time the PCS should come on is if the system detects imminent collision. There will also be a red warning that says BRAKE!!

That's how our RX works, pretty seemless so far. Is an earlier gen system however

As you mentioned, looks like you can adjust the PCS aggressiveness with the 3.0 system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=nNOqGJkm1aM
So on a scale of three I adjusted the PCS to least aggressive and went for a drive in the neighborhood & discovered that in city traffic I can do one pedal driving!! So I am driving at 50 kmph and a redlight is a few hundred meters ahead with a line of cars waiting. I take my foot of the accelerator and start coasting and then just before I hit a point where I would have started braking on my own, the PCS system takes over and brings me to almost a full stop!! Like an EV with regen braking!!

I think that driver's are misusing this system not only with Toyota vehicles but other manufacturers with similar systems such as Subaru's Eyesight. A few weeks ago before taking delivery of the GH I was on the QEW with it's usual cohort of aggressive drivers and the vehicle directly in front of me was following the vehicle in front of it rather closely...tailgating. The brake lights of this vehicle were flashing on literally every 15-20 seconds and my thought at that point in time was, "what a d**khead of a driver and a nervous nellie as well." Now that I have this GH I think it is possible that the driver had his foot on the accelerator all through and the collision avoidance system was braking every few seconds almost like the vehicle was hitting a force field and bouncing off only to charge back in again. If that was indeed the case these systems instead of acting as a safety net are in fact encouraging aggressive driving with the driver blissfully aware that the collision avoidance system would ensure that he will never crash into the vehicle in front of it, no matter how closely it is followed.
PCS is not for that...

Dynamic cruise control is what you want.

Do you have dynamic cruise?
I do have dynamic cruise control and I know that you get the proper 1 pedal experience with it, but the PCS does a pretty good imitation of at least the braking portion. 

I also discovered that the Rear Cross Traffic Alert is just that, an alert, an audio and visual alert, and does not result in emergency braking if it detects an obstruction behind the vehicle, unlike the VWs where emergency braking is bundled with RCTA. In the GH to get RCTA with emergency braking you have to opt for the higher trims i.e. Limited or Platinum
If you want to have your mind blown, get yourself an OpenPilot.....
https://www.comma.ai/openpilot

Really, really liked mine!

I just don't think the PCS was designed for how you're using it...And I hope it doesn't let you down.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:30:14 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18941 on: February 24, 2024, 01:44:31 pm »
Strange to hear about this GH issue. I have the 2.5 version of this system I believe. From the factory it was set on medium sensitivity and sometimes it would brake before I normally would but it was rare so it didn't bother me. Once going through menus I discovered a pre-collision sensitivity setting and set it on LOW. Ever since the system never bothered me while being useful in noticing a car is hard braking ahead and sounding an alarm, before my brain could register a danger. Going through a car wash, proximity sensors beep but it never hits the brakes. So if it bothers you, maybe bring it up to the dealer and see if there is a software update for this thing.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #18942 on: February 25, 2024, 10:21:22 am »
Strange to hear about this GH issue. I have the 2.5 version of this system I believe. From the factory it was set on medium sensitivity and sometimes it would brake before I normally would but it was rare so it didn't bother me. Once going through menus I discovered a pre-collision sensitivity setting and set it on LOW. Ever since the system never bothered me while being useful in noticing a car is hard braking ahead and sounding an alarm, before my brain could register a danger. Going through a car wash, proximity sensors beep but it never hits the brakes. So if it bothers you, maybe bring it up to the dealer and see if there is a software update for this thing.
I will do that. From the factory it was set at it's highest setting i.e. most aggressive intervention. I have now set it at it's lowest setting but even there, it brakes before I would normally brake. The unsettling thing is if I leave it on and want to do a left turn against oncoming traffic. Will it brake when I am trying to accelerate to make that turn and bog the vehicle down in the face of that oncoming traffic? In the Yukon which I sold off, the system's audible and visible warnings were generated when there was really the risk of a collision. By contrast Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 is like the boy who cried wolf...I remember years ago when we had a leased Honda Civic Touring....2017 model. It had a collision avoidance system that would go off with oncoming traffic on 2 lane roads, even though the oncoming vehicle was clearly in the other lane, and jerk the steering wheel and brake autonomously, but it could be turned off with the press of a single switch and did not turn back on by default every single time the car was shut off and re-started.

Don't get me wrong. The vehicle is perfect in every other way, refined, quiet, great performance for the size and weight relative to the engine, very good build quality. So I will definitely take this issue up with the dealer.

In the You tube video I have provided the link for below, a Toyota dealer tech is disturbed by the fact that among his various Toyota videos the second highest interest and viewership seems to be on how to turn off the safety systems. I think the answer to that is self explanatory, that most people who have recently bought Toyotas with Safety Sense 3.0 find the settings very intrusive and want to figure out how to turn them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXV7WtqEB4c

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:31:05 am by warp »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18943 on: February 25, 2024, 11:43:34 am »
I will do that. From the factory it was set at it's highest setting i.e. most aggressive intervention. I have now set it at it's lowest setting but even there, it brakes before I would normally brake. The unsettling thing is if I leave it on and want to do a left turn against oncoming traffic. Will it brake when I am trying to accelerate to make that turn and bog the vehicle down in the face of that oncoming traffic? In the Yukon which I sold off, the system's audible and visible warnings were generated when there was really the risk of a collision. By contrast Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 is like the boy who cried wolf...I remember years ago when we had a leased Honda Civic Touring....2017 model. It had a collision avoidance system that would go off with oncoming traffic on 2 lane roads, even though the oncoming vehicle was clearly in the other lane, and jerk the steering wheel and brake autonomously, but it could be turned off with the press of a single switch and did not turn back on by default every single time the car was shut off and re-started.

Don't get me wrong. The vehicle is perfect in every other way, refined, quiet, great performance for the size and weight relative to the engine, very good build quality. So I will definitely take this issue up with the dealer.

In the You tube video I have provided the link for below, a Toyota dealer tech is disturbed by the fact that among his various Toyota videos the second highest interest and viewership seems to be on how to turn off the safety systems. I think the answer to that is self explanatory, that most people who have recently bought Toyotas with Safety Sense 3.0 find the settings very intrusive and want to figure out how to turn them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXV7WtqEB4c

I have a friend picking up a turbo GH soon. I will enquire how he feels about this nanny thing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18944 on: February 25, 2024, 05:30:15 pm »
IIRC, I remember the PCS intervenes if there's no braking detected at all. So if you're never pushing the brakes/very late braker, I can see it intervene.

I have to seriously wonder if:

1) it's defective/needs calibration.

2)  it's how you drive.

Reviewers in both print and online would be losing their facking minds if Toyota's PCS behaved as you describe.

I have seen the very occasional complaint about VSC being too sensitive in very spirited driving, but nothing about PCS.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18945 on: February 25, 2024, 06:14:34 pm »
IIRC, I remember the PCS intervenes if there's no braking detected at all. So if you're never pushing the brakes/very late braker, I can see it intervene.

2)  it's how you drive.

Reviewers in both print and online would be losing their facking minds if Toyota's PCS behaved as you describe.

I have seen the very occasional complaint about VSC being too sensitive in very spirited driving, but nothing about PCS.
Most reviewers write puff pieces because they are terrified of being cut off by manufacturers, witness Motormouth and the Hyundai battery saga. Savagegeese is a unicorn. Having said that watch the review of this vehicle  by The Straight Pipes specifically what they say about PCS...from 9m30s onwards. They are pretty scathing about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFUr8dzVByw&t=571s

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18946 on: February 25, 2024, 06:31:58 pm »
WOW.  That's terrible.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18947 on: February 25, 2024, 08:30:16 pm »

2)  it's how you drive.

Most reviewers write puff pieces because they are terrified of being cut off by manufacturers, witness Motormouth and the Hyundai battery saga. Savagegeese is a unicorn. Having said that watch the review of this vehicle  by The Straight Pipes specifically what they say about PCS...from 9m30s onwards. They are pretty scathing about it:

That is nuts. I know the feeling when I'm on cruise on the 400 series and I rarely use the adaptive cruise because it can't keep a consistently small gap and people begin to cut in. Having this "feature" as part of my everyday driving would be annoying to say the least. It's like their engineers messed up the code and assigned a good feature but to the wrong driving mode. Like I said, fingers crossed for a prompt software update.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18948 on: February 25, 2024, 10:39:37 pm »

2)  it's how you drive.

That is nuts. I know the feeling when I'm on cruise on the 400 series and I rarely use the adaptive cruise because it can't keep a consistently small gap and people begin to cut in. Having this "feature" as part of my everyday driving would be annoying to say the least. It's like their engineers messed up the code and assigned a good feature but to the wrong driving mode. Like I said, fingers crossed for a prompt software update.

I hope so too. Fortunately the GH can get Over the Air Software Updates. Having said that, The Straight Pipes review was 5 months ago and my vehicle has a manufacturing date of January 2024, so clearly nothing has been done for at least 2-3 months after the problem has become apparent. And that other video I posted earlier from the Toyota tech in the US is an indication that the problem has been brought to the attention of Toyota dealers at the minimum. I wonder whether Toyota will roll out a fix before they are  prompted by the US Transportation Safety Board. I don't have much hope that our toothless Canadian regulator will be able to get anything done.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18949 on: February 26, 2024, 08:37:00 am »
For the first time in forever I had to push start my car. Came out to it Friday afternoon to pick up my wife from work and it wouldn't start – it wouldn't even turn over. Thought it might be the battery so I threw the charger on it but no dice. Yesterday had a friend come over and we were able to push it out into the street and then push start it in reverse so I could at least drop it off at the shop and save myself the tow. I'm assuming it's just the starter that went.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #18950 on: February 26, 2024, 04:46:42 pm »
How's it been holding up BW?  I think you've had the cab corners repaired for rust, and maybe some engine (turbo?) work done?  Has it been solid since?

So far so good really.  2 timing chains...this last one's been working fine for longer than the second one did.  Knock on wood.  No funny noises on startup and it's been a few years.

Yup, cab corners and rockers replaced, then did the driver side again when my wife got side swiped...new fender too, doors...the box remained untouched.  Now we've also had the roof replaced (hail) last fall...and they said the hood was replaced too but I dunno...it looks old from below (over-spray, stickers - they should be gone on a new hood you'd think)...haven't had a good chance to wash it which will only be in 2 months so...  :shuffle: New driver side mirror, new grill...grille? The front chrome part that faces people head on...  :P  No more hole in the FORD emblem. Windshield...it's damn near a new truck.

Which reminds me...the Fusion needs rockers bad, too.  Paper Mache (sic?)...reach under and rip a hole with your fingers. FML.

As for turbos, not touched yet.  Doesn't burn oil.  Works like it should...only time will tell.

Congrats!  I'd say it's time for new one, but the quality is suspect on the latest models, so keep your current ride.

Never mind the quality...have you seen the prices!!  :o :o :o :o :o :stfu: :hurl: :fall:  I'd take a 2018-20, but good luck finding one with the options I want/like, and they're still far too much money too.

It is very likely that at my ripe old age of 56...I will never have another vehicle again.  Fusion and F150 for life...or is that another FML...at least I've still got a Sonic...too.  Also worthless and a decade and 2 yrs old.  Also around that 160k mark. But still a hoot to drive when I do.  I'm the arsehole ripping by in the city because it's small and a hoot...I should stay in my basement.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18951 on: February 26, 2024, 05:26:13 pm »

2)  it's how you drive.

I prefer the eyeball > brain > right foot braking system personally.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18952 on: February 28, 2024, 10:28:06 pm »
For the first time in forever I had to push start my car. Came out to it Friday afternoon to pick up my wife from work and it wouldn't start – it wouldn't even turn over. Thought it might be the battery so I threw the charger on it but no dice. Yesterday had a friend come over and we were able to push it out into the street and then push start it in reverse so I could at least drop it off at the shop and save myself the tow. I'm assuming it's just the starter that went.

Was this your BMW?   I just had to boost my friend's with our Outback, came out from having lunch and his battery was dead. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 10:32:29 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #18953 on: February 29, 2024, 01:35:31 am »

Was this your BMW?   I just had to boost my friend's with our Outback, came out from having lunch and his battery was dead. 

Looks like a LS in that one :think:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18954 on: February 29, 2024, 08:03:17 am »

Yeah it was. Got a new starter installed on Tuesday. Of course it's buried under the intake manifold so not a cheap fix.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18955 on: February 29, 2024, 10:16:12 am »
How's it been holding up BW?  I think you've had the cab corners repaired for rust, and maybe some engine (turbo?) work done?  Has it been solid since?

So far so good really.  2 timing chains...this last one's been working fine for longer than the second one did.  Knock on wood.  No funny noises on startup and it's been a few years.

Yup, cab corners and rockers replaced, then did the driver side again when my wife got side swiped...new fender too, doors...the box remained untouched.  Now we've also had the roof replaced (hail) last fall...and they said the hood was replaced too but I dunno...it looks old from below (over-spray, stickers - they should be gone on a new hood you'd think)...haven't had a good chance to wash it which will only be in 2 months so...  :shuffle: New driver side mirror, new grill...grille? The front chrome part that faces people head on...  :P  No more hole in the FORD emblem. Windshield...it's damn near a new truck.

Which reminds me...the Fusion needs rockers bad, too.  Paper Mache (sic?)...reach under and rip a hole with your fingers. FML.

As for turbos, not touched yet.  Doesn't burn oil.  Works like it should...only time will tell.

Congrats!  I'd say it's time for new one, but the quality is suspect on the latest models, so keep your current ride.

Never mind the quality...have you seen the prices!!  :o :o :o :o :o :stfu: :hurl: :fall:  I'd take a 2018-20, but good luck finding one with the options I want/like, and they're still far too much money too.

It is very likely that at my ripe old age of 56...I will never have another vehicle again.  Fusion and F150 for life...or is that another FML...at least I've still got a Sonic...too.  Also worthless and a decade and 2 yrs old.  Also around that 160k mark. But still a hoot to drive when I do.  I'm the arsehole ripping by in the city because it's small and a hoot...I should stay in my basement.

Two timing chains in 160K! That should be a reminder anytime someone in here thinks its a good idea to buy a Ford truck....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18956 on: February 29, 2024, 10:30:19 am »

Looks like a LS in that one :think:

It's a 5.3, he's building a 6.2.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18957 on: February 29, 2024, 12:31:24 pm »

Two timing chains in 160K! That should be a reminder anytime someone in here thinks its a good idea to buy a Ford truck....

Who would be silly enough to recommend a Ferd??  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18958 on: February 29, 2024, 03:20:14 pm »
That era F150 was in beta testing for years.  :rofl2:

Look at GM 1/2 tons with DFM and then with AFM.  Everyone of them blow up prematurely.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18959 on: February 29, 2024, 06:09:21 pm »
That era F150 was in beta testing for years.  :rofl2:

Look at GM 1/2 tons with DFM and then with AFM.  Everyone of them blow up prematurely.

GMT800 6.0L for the win.