Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043350 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18780 on: January 14, 2024, 04:16:14 pm »
So, I’m more than a little pissed to discover the Crosstrek’s block heater isn’t working. Thought I just hadn’t plugged it in properly, but nope. Open circuit when tested with a multi meter, so seems the thing is dead.  >:(

Minus 32 when I started it on Friday. Minus 25 when I started it yesterday. It was painful to listen to each time, but it did start.

Don’t want to make a trip to the dealer, and also don’t want to investigate further in my driveway at minus 25.  ::)

A block heater is something you don't want to be without.

I've actually never had one in nearly 48 years of car ownership.   ???
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18781 on: January 14, 2024, 04:49:42 pm »
I'm now living by the lake and I have a very steep but short access road to drive up to the main road. Thanks to a shift in the wind last night we got a lot of lake effect snow and the access road is snow covered and very slippery. Took me 3 attempts to get up it this morning, have to love one wheel drive. Might have to trade in for a Subaru if this weather keeps up.

Even saw a few pickups in 4x struggling up. Still waiting for the Cybertruck to come by and show everybody how it is done.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18782 on: January 14, 2024, 05:34:54 pm »
So, I’m more than a little pissed to discover the Crosstrek’s block heater isn’t working. Thought I just hadn’t plugged it in properly, but nope. Open circuit when tested with a multi meter, so seems the thing is dead.  >:(

Minus 32 when I started it on Friday. Minus 25 when I started it yesterday. It was painful to listen to each time, but it did start.

Don’t want to make a trip to the dealer, and also don’t want to investigate further in my driveway at minus 25.  ::)

Yeah, I’m not happy.

I did take another quick look just now, but you can’t see anything from the top side. Would have to pull off the plastic undertray and look from the bottom.

I guess I’ll call the dealer tomorrow and make an appointment. It’ll probably be two weeks before they get me in, and by then it will probably be plus 5 again.   ::)

I just looked at their online service scheduler: first available appointment is January 30.  ::) ::)
Check the fuse?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18783 on: January 14, 2024, 05:36:10 pm »
I'm now living by the lake and I have a very steep but short access road to drive up to the main road. Thanks to a shift in the wind last night we got a lot of lake effect snow and the access road is snow covered and very slippery. Took me 3 attempts to get up it this morning, have to love one wheel drive. Might have to trade in for a Subaru if this weather keeps up.

Even saw a few pickups in 4x struggling up. Still waiting for the Cybertruck to come by and show everybody how it is done.  :rofl2:

One wheel drive, are you still riding a bicycle?   :D

Drop tire pressure on the driving wheels, it should help a little.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18784 on: January 14, 2024, 05:50:00 pm »

I would have made it up first try on my bike as I run studded tires.

So drop the tire pressure, drive 25m up the hill, stop, pump up tire pressure?  Think I'll stick with a longer run before the hill to gain some speed and hope for no cross traffic.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18785 on: January 14, 2024, 06:03:40 pm »

Yeah, I’m not happy.

I did take another quick look just now, but you can’t see anything from the top side. Would have to pull off the plastic undertray and look from the bottom.

I guess I’ll call the dealer tomorrow and make an appointment. It’ll probably be two weeks before they get me in, and by then it will probably be plus 5 again.   ::)

I just looked at their online service scheduler: first available appointment is January 30.  ::) ::)
Check the fuse?

If there’s a fuse, it must be at the block heater end. There’s nothing in the cord near the plug end.

So, back to the original problem: without jacking up the car and removing undertray, can’t see anything beyond the plug and the first three inches of cord.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18786 on: January 14, 2024, 06:21:49 pm »

So drop the tire pressure, drive 25m up the hill, stop, pump up tire pressure?  Think I'll stick with a longer run before the hill to gain some speed and hope for no cross traffic.

I had a set of strap type tire chains (the kind that wrap through the rim) for that type of thing when I was driving 2WD vehicles. Was a huge help in low speed no traction situations

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #18787 on: January 14, 2024, 06:22:02 pm »

Reverse up the hill, puts more weight on the front tires & they now push up instead of pulling as the weight transfers back going forwards.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18788 on: January 14, 2024, 08:09:38 pm »

Reverse up the hill, puts more weight on the front tires & they now push up instead of pulling as the weight transfers back going forwards.

You forget the e-brake part at the top of the hill so your're all turned around when you park!! LOL [emoji38]

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #18789 on: January 14, 2024, 08:16:47 pm »

You forget the e-brake part at the top of the hill so your're all turned around when you park!! LOL [emoji38]
No handbrake required in reverse, Rockford turn at the top :skid:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18790 on: January 14, 2024, 10:23:17 pm »

I meant if it e.g. says 33psi on the door jamb, I'd run it at 30-31 psi for as long as it's slippery there. It will reduce the gas mileage and wear the tires a bit more but will improve traction, especially in fresh snow.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18791 on: January 14, 2024, 10:42:16 pm »

I meant if it e.g. says 33psi on the door jamb, I'd run it at 30-31 psi for as long as it's slippery there. It will reduce the gas mileage and wear the tires a bit more but will improve traction, especially in fresh snow.
You will see zero difference with a mere 2-3 psi change in winter.

Old wives tale.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18792 on: January 14, 2024, 10:45:48 pm »

This. Ran into a similar situation at a friends cottage one year, got snowed in good overnight. We had some FWD unit, Intrepid maybe (wasn't mine) and after a few failed attempts the reversing trick worked well.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18793 on: January 15, 2024, 12:40:31 am »

Yeah, I’m not happy.

Check the fuse?

If there’s a fuse, it must be at the block heater end. There’s nothing in the cord near the plug end.

So, back to the original problem: without jacking up the car and removing undertray, can’t see anything beyond the plug and the first three inches of cord.

They are not that complicated. I bet the cord end towards the engine wasn't pushed onto the connectors hard enough. Or they didn't install it and all you have is a cord. Either way would show open circuit?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18794 on: January 15, 2024, 07:27:27 am »
Question for you guys that regularly need block heaters. Do you also use one of those battery warmer covers?  What about leaving a trickle charger on? Would that help?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #18795 on: January 15, 2024, 07:45:20 am »
No battery blankets on our vehicles, although I imagine it would help prevent dead batteries. I’ve heard plenty of stories over the last few days of new vehicles not starting after sitting outside overnight. Batteries are dead, killed by the cold. A quick boost and they’re off to the races, until sitting overnight in the cold again.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18796 on: January 15, 2024, 09:56:53 am »
Our RX doesn't have a block heater, it's always started but but I'll put the battery on trickle charge when it's very cold and that does seem to help. Will sometimes get the oddball low battery messages otherwise too when it's very cold

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18797 on: January 15, 2024, 10:11:28 am »
So much stress starting engine at -30. Yes it starts but at what cost? Block heater gets that coolant and then oil warm.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18798 on: January 15, 2024, 02:34:16 pm »
So much stress starting engine at -30. Yes it starts but at what cost? Block heater gets that coolant and then oil warm.

Started my car at -24C air temp yesterday; coolant was +10C.  Block heater was doing its job. 

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #18799 on: January 15, 2024, 02:56:48 pm »
After a day parked outside at work, the block heater makes a big difference in how soon the  heating comes on