Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043370 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18500 on: November 11, 2023, 11:28:21 pm »
Winter tires on BMW and GTI today. Mitsubishi on Monday.
Looks like the BMW may need brakes next fall or so. The Textar I have on the front didn't fair too well - very dusty and wore pretty quickly. In contrast, the TRW on the GTI have a lot more life left with few thousand km more on them. They are pretty dusty too.
Next will try the Jurid on the BMW, see how those will do.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18501 on: November 12, 2023, 02:28:11 pm »
My BCAA paid for itself yesterday. A nice 124 km tow for my 1 ton Sierra. A tiny idler pulley failed causing a complete derailment and shredding of the belt. To top it off my wife was driving it at the time, when the belt blew of course the power steering and brakes went with it (hydroboost system) she was just a little frazzled after that.

Something I never give any thought to is those belt components. And because my truck is a noisy diesel I’d probably never hear one getting bad. So I spent the day replacing ALL the idlers and tensioner. Think I’m making them a part of my maintenance checklist. Just a few weeks back we were driving through a snowy, icy, remote part of Alberta at night, I could only imagine how bad it could’ve been if this happened then!

Oh Geez. No brakes at all, or just super hard?

I was piloting a dead Dodge Powerwagon to the mechanic back in the day and the guy towing me had got up some pretty good speed before I realized the steering and the brakes were like rocks. And he did not notice despite all the swearing and obscene gestures I could produce. Terrifying

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #18502 on: November 12, 2023, 03:45:34 pm »
Brakes like rock hard. Steering same. The truck is 3780 kg, a big heavy brute. Of course being in BC this happened on a windy road lol. Poor Wife, it really razzled her. Said it’ll be awhile before she’ll drive it again. I guess it could’ve been way worse!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #18503 on: November 12, 2023, 05:33:15 pm »
Looks like the BMW may need brakes next fall or so. The Textar I have on the front didn't fair too well - very dusty and wore pretty quickly. In contrast, the TRW on the GTI have a lot more life left with few thousand km more on them. They are pretty dusty too.

Interesting to hear that about the Textars; I've had the exact opposite experience. Both are dusty, but good quality and my clients seem to get longer life out of Textar than TRW consistently.

Be careful with those Jurids... they get squeaky.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18504 on: November 12, 2023, 07:41:48 pm »
Swapped some new tie rod ends onto the Ridgeline. Shops wanted about $500 to do the job + extra for an alignment and booking 3 weeks out. It took me about 1 hour at a casual pace.  ::) Longest time was looking for tie rod separator and torqueing the wheels. Got it pretty close as it drives straight but will still cough up $75 for the alignment later this week.

Ridgeline is driving tight like the day she left the showroom.  :skid:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18505 on: November 12, 2023, 10:08:42 pm »
Swapped some new tie rod ends onto the Ridgeline. Shops wanted about $500 to do the job + extra for an alignment and booking 3 weeks out. It took me about 1 hour at a casual pace.  ::) Longest time was looking for tie rod separator and torqueing the wheels. Got it pretty close as it drives straight but will still cough up $75 for the alignment later this week.

:cheers:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18506 on: November 12, 2023, 10:58:22 pm »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18507 on: November 13, 2023, 06:55:59 am »

Interesting to hear that about the Textars; I've had the exact opposite experience. Both are dusty, but good quality and my clients seem to get longer life out of Textar than TRW consistently.

Be careful with those Jurids... they get squeaky.

Maybe it's about how the car is driven? I don't know for sure. Now there is a new variable as it's my daughter's daily driver (mostly).
I taught her not to ride the brakes,  but who knows what she's doing when she drives alone.... Teenagers tend to know better than the old farts... :)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #18508 on: November 13, 2023, 09:34:38 am »

Nice!  Great price for an alignment. I can’t find a shop around here that’ll do one for less than $100.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #18509 on: November 13, 2023, 09:48:00 am »

Nice!  Great price for an alignment. I can’t find a shop around here that’ll do one for less than $100.

Yeah, along with labour costs having gone up, there is serious upkeep to an alignment rack. Our four-wheel roll on in-ground rack was $145,000 and requires having to call in a dedicated tech once a month for calibration (~$1,500). It's a huge cost, and unless you're doing lots of them as a volume, it's tough to palate. We have enough performance alignments, track-setups and corner balancing to justify it, but it still hasn't passed that break even point.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #18510 on: November 13, 2023, 09:49:46 am »

What brand of tie rods did you use? Agree that $75 is a great price for an alignment!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18511 on: November 13, 2023, 09:51:22 am »

Yeah, along with labour costs having gone up, there is serious upkeep to an alignment rack. Our four-wheel roll on in-ground rack was $145,000 and requires having to call in a dedicated tech once a month for calibration (~$1,500). It's a huge cost, and unless you're doing lots of them as a volume, it's tough to palate. We have enough performance alignments, track-setups and corner balancing to justify it, but it still hasn't passed that break even point.

Thanks for the insight !

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18512 on: November 13, 2023, 11:08:41 am »

What brand of tie rods did you use? Agree that $75 is a great price for an alignment!

Honda OE. The finish and  quality are immediately apparent. I got them for about $75 each which are still expensive but not stupidly so compared to "high end" aftermarket.

Alignment rack: This is a high volume tire shop. The Ridgeline is a very basic suspension so not sure a fancy shop is required. I only messed the toes when replacing the tie rods so it should be a quick job.  It was aligned last year when the control arms were replaced.    One of the rear adjusters (camber) is frozen so it has been slightly outside of spec for years but not worth addressing unless I start replacing rear bits. Frankly it is tracking straight now so the thought to not bother with the alignment crossed my mind.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18513 on: November 13, 2023, 11:22:22 am »

Honda OE. The finish and  quality are immediately apparent. I got them for about $75 each which are still expensive but not stupidly so compared to "high end" aftermarket.

Alignment rack: This is a high volume tire shop. The Ridgeline is a very basic suspension so not sure a fancy shop is required. I only messed the toes when replacing the tie rods so it should be a quick job.  It was aligned last year when the control arms were replaced.    One of the rear adjusters (camber) is frozen so it has been slightly outside of spec for years but not worth addressing unless I start replacing rear bits. Frankly it is tracking straight now so the thought to not bother with the alignment crossed my mind.

In my experience a car tracking straight is not a reliable indicator of correct front wheel alignment. It is what happens in sharp turns, like slow speed manoeuvring in a parking lot. If I hear any rubber squealing then the alignment is likely off.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18514 on: November 13, 2023, 11:24:32 am »

In my experience a car tracking straight is not a reliable indicator of correct front wheel alignment. It is what happens in sharp turns, like slow speed manoeuvring in a parking lot. If I hear any rubber squealing then the alignment is likely off.
So tracking straight isn't reliable.

But a squealing tire is?

Gotcha! LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18515 on: November 13, 2023, 11:32:47 am »
I ran the laser level. It's close. Yes both tires could be toed in giving straight line stability but excessive tire scrub. I don't think so though because it "looks" ok. We will see what the before and after numbers look like on Friday!.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18516 on: November 13, 2023, 12:57:33 pm »
Replaced the sway bar bushings on the MDX this morning. It had a rattle over rough roads/packed ice  this past winter that hasn’t surfaced this summer over the smoother roads. Everything seems tight under there so thought I’d start with the bushings. If you can change a tire, you could change these on the MDX. However I won’t know if they solved the issue for a bit. Roads are bare and dry.

The Mevotech replacements are :censor: quality compared to OEM, even though listed as a OE quality. Ah well, I’ll get the Honda ones if these don’t work out. Not to worried since they are so inexpensive and easy to do.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18517 on: November 13, 2023, 02:20:52 pm »
Replaced the sway bar bushings on the MDX this morning. It had a rattle over rough roads/packed ice  this past winter that hasn’t surfaced this summer over the smoother roads. Everything seems tight under there so thought I’d start with the bushings. If you can change a tire, you could change these on the MDX. However I won’t know if they solved the issue for a bit. Roads are bare and dry.

The Mevotech replacements are :censor: quality compared to OEM, even though listed as a OE quality. Ah well, I’ll get the Honda ones if these don’t work out. Not to worried since they are so inexpensive and easy to do.
Funny...my experience was the opposite.

The OEM sway bar bushings in the Honda Accord we had were inferior to the aftermarket ones.

And, oddly, only the rear ones had the issue.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18518 on: November 13, 2023, 02:27:21 pm »

So tracking straight isn't reliable.

But a squealing tire is?

Gotcha! LOL [emoji38]

I've had a car driving perfectly straight but wearing out insides of the front tires (toe out). You'd never guess something was off if the tires didn't squeak in parking lots. That squeaking in itself is not a guarantee something is wrong, but rather a clue.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18519 on: November 13, 2023, 02:53:20 pm »

. That squeaking in itself is not a guarantee something is wrong

No kidding.

My Echo's thin, cheap tires used to howl around corners non stop..and alignment was perfect.