Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043716 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17920 on: May 24, 2023, 03:30:07 pm »
Bought some tires for the S8...

Two...Three?   :rofl2:

What did you end up getting?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17921 on: May 24, 2023, 03:30:29 pm »
hercules or nothing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17922 on: May 24, 2023, 07:24:14 pm »
Bought some tires for the S8...

Two...Three?   :rofl2:

What did you end up getting?
Trying the new Pirelli WeatherActive all season.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #17923 on: May 24, 2023, 10:32:30 pm »
Finally got around to the seasonal tire change on my civic. Also replaced rear brake pads and diagnosed a concerning intermittent rattle. Turns out one of the bolt holes holding the catalytic converter heat shield rusted out letting the heat shield vibrate at certain engine rpms. Ordered some stainless steel zip ties and will resecure the heat shield when they arrive.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17924 on: May 24, 2023, 10:40:09 pm »
Finally got around to the seasonal tire change on my civic. Also replaced rear brake pads and diagnosed a concerning intermittent rattle. Turns out one of the bolt holes holding the catalytic converter heat shield rusted out letting the heat shield vibrate at certain engine rpms. Ordered some stainless steel zip ties and will resecure the heat shield when they arrive.
Nice easy fix!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17925 on: May 27, 2023, 07:12:24 pm »
Replaced the trunk struts on the SLK this morning, pain in the ass as I had to remove 2 stoppers on the arms. Which I didn't figure out until 15mins of messing around with it :banghead:

Then a full inside & out on the Passport, including the iron removal... again a pain in the ass because of its size. Interior looks mint now though.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17926 on: May 27, 2023, 08:17:59 pm »
Iron removal is so key on a white car.  Well done.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17927 on: May 27, 2023, 10:28:55 pm »
I've been tinkering with the green MGB a lot lately, so I posted an update in the S&S rather than duplicate here.

Like Gurgie, today I gave the old family hauler a good cleanup...Bugs seem really bad this year and the front of the Escalade was just carpeted. Plus, it hauled all of us deep into upstate NY on a whim earlier in the week, so it was due for a good cleaning. I didn't bother to grab any pics, but anyone in here reading this probably knows what it looks like by now.

Last weekend I awoken the Trans Am and Camaro - both wintered in an old converted cattle barn that my buddy has, only about 15 minutes from my place, so it's pretty convenient. Again, I was stingy with the photos, but both fired up fine and got about a 30 minute run through the back roads to stretch their legs. I also changed the lift support on the Trans Am's hood, and installed an auxiliary in-line fuel filter on the Camaro because the one on the carb has a tendency to clog up (likely crap in the tank) and it's a real PITA to change. Now, I can swap out the in-line one in about 3 minutes.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17928 on: May 28, 2023, 12:26:49 pm »
How did you end up with two 80s roach coaches? I assume they scratch the same itch?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17929 on: May 28, 2023, 12:44:26 pm »
How did you end up with two 80s roach coaches? I assume they scratch the same itch?

The Camaro was his dad's car brand new, a commuter for almost 30 years. A great family heirloom... thing has like 300k+ on it and he'll keep it forever.

The silver Trans Am he bought as a press car leave behind years ago and the clown fell in love with it, because he is in fact, Firm. I've driven this thing billions of times over the years and while it's not my style in the slightest (I am too bald to grow a mullet) it's immaculate and actually very nice to drive.

Hey Firm, how about a stick one next time around?  :)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17930 on: May 28, 2023, 04:39:12 pm »
I like that T/A.

Swapped tires on the truck today. I’ve had the winters since 2012 (ya that’s right) and just left them on longer than normal as I’ll be replacing them this fall. They sure wear quick in the warm weather. The main drive wheel was worn to the point of no sipes left. They weren’t like that earlier in the spring.

Summer A/Ts will need replacing next year also.  Going to be an expensive year for tires.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17931 on: May 28, 2023, 08:10:13 pm »
Today was the SLK's turn, no pics, but a full inside & out cleaning, top to bottom. While I was at it, I washed Bella's 323 as well, which was an embarrassment to have on the driveway as it was covered in bird :censor: :rofl: Tree in front of the house is now covered in leaves, so should be less bird crap moving forward.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17932 on: May 28, 2023, 08:30:38 pm »

The Camaro was his dad's car brand new, a commuter for almost 30 years. A great family heirloom... thing has like 300k+ on it and he'll keep it forever.

The silver Trans Am he bought as a press car leave behind years ago and the clown fell in love with it, because he is in fact, Firm. I've driven this thing billions of times over the years and while it's not my style in the slightest (I am too bald to grow a mullet) it's immaculate and actually very nice to drive.

lol, yeah, The Hire's explanation for the roach coaches is bang on. The Camaro is sentimental, I came home from the hospital in it, and grew up in/around that car. The T/A wasn't suppose to be long-term, was originally just a cheap car ($2K) I bought and fixed up when I needed decent reliable transportation, primarily for press-car leave behind duty. It just has the right 'vibe'; the look, the colors, etc and I did fall in love.

I should sell the T/A, as it is duplication, and if I thought hard enough there's probably another car I'd rather have in that parking slot....but it's a better car than the Camaro (V8, t-tops, AC, etc), it's 100% rust free, and really well sorted...It's also my favorite road trip car. So, for the ~$10-15K it's worth if I sold it, I'd rather just keep it around. It looks like I'll need to be in Montreal for work in a couple weeks, if so, I'll drive the T/A out of the barn and the 5 hours straight to Montreal without hesitation.

Both cars have pretty detailed S&S threads on here if you care to dig them up.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17933 on: May 28, 2023, 09:00:57 pm »
I got Mrs.Firm's Firebird down on the lift today and out for a good hour long ride - took the kid to get ice cream and enjoyed the nice weather. Glad that the electric fuel pump in the tank decided to cooperate for another season...I just know one spring it's not going to, and dropping that tank is going to suck bigtime.

Offline Tarun Bhai

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: maruti
« Reply #17934 on: May 29, 2023, 07:29:01 am »
I cut a big chunk out of the rear of the Mercedes a while back as the bumper support was rusted out. Welded in some new metal and slowly getting that sorted.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17935 on: May 29, 2023, 08:00:57 am »

lol, yeah, The Hire's explanation for the roach coaches is bang on. The Camaro is sentimental, I came home from the hospital in it, and grew up in/around that car. The T/A wasn't suppose to be long-term, was originally just a cheap car ($2K) I bought and fixed up when I needed decent reliable transportation, primarily for press-car leave behind duty. It just has the right 'vibe'; the look, the colors, etc and I did fall in love.

I should sell the T/A, as it is duplication, and if I thought hard enough there's probably another car I'd rather have in that parking slot....but it's a better car than the Camaro (V8, t-tops, AC, etc), it's 100% rust free, and really well sorted...It's also my favorite road trip car. So, for the ~$10-15K it's worth if I sold it, I'd rather just keep it around. It looks like I'll need to be in Montreal for work in a couple weeks, if so, I'll drive the T/A out of the barn and the 5 hours straight to Montreal without hesitation.

Both cars have pretty detailed S&S threads on here if you care to dig them up.

This. Beer, tools, my place and the TR6. I bet with you here I'm ready for Safety before the first beer is empty.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17936 on: May 29, 2023, 08:02:58 am »
Washed the Ice silver Crossie and applied Sonax iron remover ($20 at CTC). That stuff STINKS, but it's a similar stink to that of products used to clean pavers. Instant purple tears all over the sides of the car. Had lots too on the rear hatch around the licence plate. Took a second application to clear everything. Once the product was washed off, I clayed the doors and the hatch (blue Simoniz clay) using Meguiar's detailer as a clay lube. Now it's SHINY and iron-free  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 08:16:48 am by Blueprint »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17937 on: May 29, 2023, 08:16:04 am »
Kiddo's Accent - we washed it for an impeding listing photoshoot and I could not believe how the body shop messed up the paint on the side OPPOSITE the repairs we had done last November. Doors were full of fumes, and not black ones at that - it only really showed in hard, direct sunlight. So I showed my daughter how claying works and had her clay her entire car. All the paint fumes lifted right off!

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17938 on: May 29, 2023, 09:34:38 am »
Man, that Accent cleaned up well. I'll keep you posted on dates for Montreal - I am suppose to be there for race weekend, hosting some events, but I am not thrilled about the whole thing, so plans might change. One of the reasons I insist on driving (corp policy is to fly) is so I can arrive/leave on my own schedule, so if time allows I'd be up for a little wrenching  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17939 on: May 29, 2023, 10:22:36 am »
Man, that Accent cleaned up well. I'll keep you posted on dates for Montreal - I am suppose to be there for race weekend, hosting some events, but I am not thrilled about the whole thing, so plans might change. One of the reasons I insist on driving (corp policy is to fly) is so I can arrive/leave on my own schedule, so if time allows I'd be up for a little wrenching  ;D

Cool! At the track events ? You're right about driving. YYZ-YUL is bordeline, especially if you're not heading downtown and staying there. If you have to drive around the GMA and need a rental car anyway, you may as well drive and avoid airport delays. I'm 15 mins away from the track on the South Shore.

The TR6 is getting there. Getting the reverse lights to work is just about chasing contacts, probably the same with one of the brake lights that works but is more dim than the other. Other stuff is minor: getting a ground cable that fits the battery's small terminal (the existing one just lifts off) and fitting proper hardware to replace the steel wire that holds up the rear of the hardtop (and I have the bits already). The TR6 is never on my honey-do list for some reason...