Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043484 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17840 on: May 13, 2023, 03:27:55 pm »
The 98 Frontier. Tired of sourcing parts. The last straw was the clockspring. None available in wrecking yards . Ordered one on ebay. Site indicated it would fit . It didn't. That is the trouble when you daily drive a 25 year old vehicle. Things wear out and are no longer available.
If it was a collectable garage queen I wouldn't be as fussed. Sold it to my mechanic. It was still a very solid vehicle otherwise. If parts were easier to source I would probably still have it.

What's next ? I will  continue to search for a ten year newer similar vehicle. This might be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Dang, I have a clockspring for a 2009 Frontier sitting in a box here,wonder if it would have fit?

My riding buddy replaced the headlights and dropped in an old 350 he had lying around and is driving a early eighties Chevy 3/4 square body he bought non running for $800.  Standard cab, 2WD. 8' box. He has a newish F150 Raptor and he says he prefers this thing. lol.

If you are going to go old you have to not mess around.  ;D

edit sorry it's a GMC  ;D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 03:30:41 pm by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: May 13, 2023, 04:13:15 pm »

He sure isn't messing around with the "bad rims" part...

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: May 13, 2023, 07:17:43 pm »
The 98 Frontier. Tired of sourcing parts. The last straw was the clockspring. None available in wrecking yards . Ordered one on ebay. Site indicated it would fit . It didn't. That is the trouble when you daily drive a 25 year old vehicle. Things wear out and are no longer available.
If it was a collectable garage queen I wouldn't be as fussed. Sold it to my mechanic. It was still a very solid vehicle otherwise. If parts were easier to source I would probably still have it.

What's next ? I will  continue to search for a ten year newer similar vehicle. This might be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Dang, I have a clockspring for a 2009 Frontier sitting in a box here,wonder if it would have fit?
I highly doubt it. Second generation Frontier came out in 2005.I have a brand new totally useless clockspring I got off of Ebay from Thailand that will now collect dust.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: May 13, 2023, 07:20:23 pm »

He sure isn't messing around with the "bad rims" part...

Ha ha that was temporary as he borrowed them from his son's truck to get it mobile out of the shop.   ;D) Rolling on proper skinnys and dog dishes now.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17844 on: May 13, 2023, 07:27:24 pm »

My riding buddy replaced the headlights and dropped in an old 350 he had lying around and is driving a early eighties Chevy 3/4 square body he bought non running for $800.  Standard cab, 2WD. 8' box. He has a newish F150 Raptor and he says he prefers this thing. lol.

That wouldn't appeal to me at all as it would guzzle too much gas. They were a great vehicle but for other people. My old truck was right sized for me.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17845 on: May 14, 2023, 10:36:04 am »
That sucks, it seems parts availability  is becoming more of an issue, I've always had super old cars and never really had trouble, but recently I've struggled with a few items. I think a lot of parts businesses got burned on obsolete inventory, so everyone is being a lot more conservative investing in old stuff now.

I'd be looking for a Ranger or S10/Sonoma, 4 cylinder models, as a suitable replacement. Those were so popular that parts availability is not an issue at all....for the GMs, LMC Truck has everything you could imagine in the way of restoration parts. There's probably someone similar for Fords too.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17846 on: May 14, 2023, 06:05:57 pm »
Threw my summer wheels back on. TQ wrench, digitally set tire pressure, rotation, security lugnuts towards the valves stems, the whole 9 yards of OCD  :rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: May 14, 2023, 06:33:58 pm »
That sucks, it seems parts availability  is becoming more of an issue, I've always had super old cars and never really had trouble, but recently I've struggled with a few items. I think a lot of parts businesses got burned on obsolete inventory, so everyone is being a lot more conservative investing in old stuff now.

I'd be looking for a Ranger or S10/Sonoma, 4 cylinder models, as a suitable replacement. Those were so popular that parts availability is not an issue at all....for the GMs, LMC Truck has everything you could imagine in the way of restoration parts. There's probably someone similar for Fords too.

Yup,those would be on the list. Hard part is finding a rust free one in my area.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17848 on: May 14, 2023, 08:51:24 pm »

That wouldn't appeal to me at all as it would guzzle too much gas. They were a great vehicle but for other people. My old truck was right sized for me.

Sucks that you had to get rid of it for parts reasons.  I was rooting for you to keep it for another 10 years, or so.   ;D  I have the same feeling about size being just right.  A 6' box would be nice but I have no desire for a full sizer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 08:53:28 pm by KD »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: May 14, 2023, 10:52:48 pm »
Upgraded the sway bars in the MX-5 to RX-8 versions. Direct fit with new OEM bushings and aftermarket endlinks. Man what a difference in turn in response and body roll!

Also changed the original spark plugs with NGK Iridium. The originals had FoMoCo stamped on them like many parts on this car due to Ford partnership era.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17850 on: May 14, 2023, 11:39:46 pm »
Upgraded the sway bars in the MX-5 to RX-8 versions. Direct fit with new OEM bushings and aftermarket endlinks. Man what a difference in turn in response and body roll!

Also changed the original spark plugs with NGK Iridium. The originals had FoMoCo stamped on them like many parts on this car due to Ford partnership era.
Love me some fine wire iridiums!

What links did you settle on?

Otherwise...good work!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17851 on: May 15, 2023, 08:09:41 am »

Nice work!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17852 on: May 15, 2023, 11:09:16 am »
Why did a clock spring end the trucks life again? You loose the radio controls?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17853 on: May 15, 2023, 12:42:10 pm »
Why did a clock spring end the trucks life again? You loose the radio controls?

It's a little more vital than that.  It fits around the steering wheel, and is basically the airbag's electrical connection point.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17854 on: May 15, 2023, 01:48:19 pm »
So you lost the airbag? Are there annual safety checks?  For essentially a project or trips to the dump lack of an airbag is ok?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17855 on: May 15, 2023, 08:02:57 pm »
So you lost the airbag? Are there annual safety checks?  For essentially a project or trips to the dump lack of an airbag is ok?
Every 2 years there is a safety inspection. So no airbag,horn or cruise control. I am one that wants these to work on my vehicle . It may not bother someone else. The truck was driven a lot . Lately had to do a bunch of work to it. It was time to let it go. I might find something a bit newer.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17856 on: May 15, 2023, 08:07:31 pm »

Sucks that you had to get rid of it for parts reasons.  I was rooting for you to keep it for another 10 years, or so.   ;D  I have the same feeling about size being just right.  A 6' box would be nice but I have no desire for a full sizer.

Mine had the six foot box. Did everything I needed it to do.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17857 on: May 15, 2023, 08:16:32 pm »
Every 2 years there is a safety inspection. So no airbag,horn or cruise control. I am one that wants these to work on my vehicle . It may not bother someone else. The truck was driven a lot . Lately had to do a bunch of work to it. It was time to let it go. I might find something a bit newer.

Sell it in Alberta...

With respect to airbags once they get that old I would feel better if they were disarmed rather than rolling with a partially degraded ignitor waiting to fragment like a grenade. Looking at you Takata.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17858 on: May 15, 2023, 09:30:37 pm »

Sell it in Alberta...

With respect to airbags once they get that old I would feel better if they were disarmed rather than rolling with a partially degraded ignitor waiting to fragment like a grenade. Looking at you Takata.
Takata?

You mean ARC?   :)

https://www.thedrive.com/news/airbag-company-opts-not-to-recall-67-million-inflators-that-could-hurl-shrapnel

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17859 on: May 15, 2023, 09:50:56 pm »
New tires and an alignment on the Green MGB courtesy of Mr.Hire. Fresh set of tires always feels so good, but especially so when the ones coming off are two decades old  ;D