Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043349 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17820 on: May 09, 2023, 03:30:43 pm »
Day 2.

I just noticed something really cool with the Audi! Because the body line/crease is so reflective now after correction, it REALLY sharpens it up. Check it out!

A bit difficult to photograph..

Nice work! White cars are a female dog to photograph, especially in the sun. I have one this week, and another one next week  ::)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17821 on: May 09, 2023, 04:11:51 pm »
Got my new all in one compounding/polish and high tech pads out. The A5 is the recipient since I never really did do a super thorough correction on it. So let's get to it.

I've recently switched up my all time champ and favorite combo (Lake County CCS orange and 3d HDspeed) with 3d HD One with Uro-Fiber pads. Whereas HD speed has better long lasting protection, HD One has better compounding but has no protection to it. But since I use the stupendous Shinee Wax as my topper AND quick detailer, I've got the longevity covered. And otherworldly gloss too!

Since my body is still janky, I'll be doing this by panel. Not the ideal, but if I can't get back at it for a day or two I know the panel is finished and protected.

First I clay bar the panel. I'm using clay bars and Optimum No Rinse and Wax diluted to quick detailer level for the lube. It's obvious I've kept on top of the paint since its still surprisingly smooth and pretty contaminant free. But clay still pretty dirty. I then "quickly" wipe it down with Mother's CMX surface prep.

New pads are interesting. Micro fiber pad with cutting and finishing fibers. Very thin. HD One has excellent cut. Paint was really micro swirled. Easily corrected that. First was front passenger panel. Paint easily looks a shade of white whiter. Shinee Wax almost makes it glow in the dark!

Continued with further panels until being distracted by a few other areas. License plate bolts starting to rust, so changed them. Hit all rubber with Gummi Pflege. Cleaned and polished interior door areas. Detailed gas cap area, etc

Coming along nicely.

Will update with photos when done..

My BMW needs this (one of the last items on the original to-do list) but can't/won't do it myself - certainly don't have the tools nor skills, so I will pay someone to do it. I tried last year on the hood, using the amateur kit from Meguiar's but the results were marginal so I give up...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17822 on: May 09, 2023, 04:17:49 pm »
but can't/won't do it myself - certainly don't have the tools nor skills

Nonsense. You might not have the tools, but you certainly have the skills...given all the other work you've done on your cars.

There are some really excellent YouTube videos on the subject.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17823 on: May 09, 2023, 05:00:19 pm »

Nonsense. You might not have the tools, but you certainly have the skills...given all the other work you've done on your cars.

Never done it before so I'm a total noob to this kind of work. I'm generally a quick learner but to me this is a bit of a skilled trade ....not to mention the right tools, materials and application are key...

Also curious to see first hand what pro can do...

I thought I would first try my hand on the Outlander... If I screw up, nothing to lose.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17824 on: May 09, 2023, 08:03:39 pm »

Never done it before so I'm a total noob to this kind of work. I'm generally a quick learner but to me this is a bit of a skilled trade ....not to mention the right tools, materials and application are key...

I thought I would first try my hand on the Outlander... If I screw up, nothing to lose.
With modern orbital polishers it's pretty much impossible to harm anything.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17825 on: May 09, 2023, 10:40:57 pm »

With modern orbital polishers it's pretty much impossible to harm anything.

What I have is the Maguiar's DA drill attachment kit and watched quite a few videos on how to use it so I know the theory in principle.

The devil is in details though - first of all my drill (Dewalt 3-in-1) is :censor: heavy and it killed my hand doing just the hood and not even impressed with the result after all that effort. I might need a different (lighter) drill for this job.

Also the other thing I couldn't quite figure out (didn't try hard enough I admit) is what speed should I set the drill at so it spins at the right speed. I know should use 1500-2500 rpm max (I think) but not sure how does that translate to the settings on the drill (may need to look for the drill instructions maybe I find a table there).

Then sure thing, I need a lot more practice to keep it flat on the surface, apply the right amount of pressure while moving at the right speed and follow the surface shape at the same time... Probably a dedicated tool would be better for a beginner and more fool proof. Then all the prepping (wash, clay bar), taping... quite a bit of a job in my mind... probably at least 2 full days at my speed LOL...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17826 on: May 10, 2023, 06:21:52 pm »
Forget the drill attachment, You need an random orbital polisher. I have an old porter cable. I think there are more options now.

I was able to clean this up and I have no idea what I am doing. It is back to 99%. If you have kids a random orbital pays for itself lol.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17827 on: May 10, 2023, 06:24:52 pm »
^ Ya, its such a useful tool.  Polish anything really.  Paint, headlights, fiberglass (boat, golf cart in my case).  I even took it to the vinyl on our golf cart last night as it was looking really crappy.  Don't know if I should have, but it worked  :rofl2: .
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17828 on: May 10, 2023, 09:15:49 pm »
Forget the drill attachment, You need an random orbital polisher. I have an old porter cable. I think there are more options now.

I was able to clean this up and I have no idea what I am doing. It is back to 99%. If you have kids a random orbital pays for itself lol.

This. Truly.

You can't screw it up.

A couple people on the forum have messaged me for info in the past. They bought the polisher (or had one) and I suggested polish/pads and away they went!

Complete newbs at this and they had great results. Also so handy for touch ups.

You can get a quality polisher for $180.00

https://a.co/d/jc255Td

I'd normally recommend a Porter Cable 7424 but i see the price is $220 now.

For pads, the tried and true (and foolproof) Lake County CCS orange light cutting. I'd get 4-6. Enough to do even the most imperfect of paint.
https://carzilla.ca/products/lake-country-5-ccs-foam-pad?variant=15154174033955

For polish, either HD Speed or HD One
https://carzilla.ca/products/3d-products-hd-speed-all-in-one-polish-and-wax

https://carzilla.ca/products/3d-one-hybrid-single-step-compound-16oz

Then for protection, top with your favorite ceramic/spray wax. This is my current favorite:

https://carzilla.ca/products/tacsystem-shinee-wax-spray-detailer-1000ml

Also, Carzilla is a fantastic Canadian detail supplier. I use them all the time.

So yes, there's a bit of investment required. But for what you'd pay for a single detail, you'll have supplies to do multiple jobs. And you'll be so, so satisfied with the results YOU achieved.

Anyone can do this!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:20:34 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17829 on: May 10, 2023, 09:19:28 pm »

^ Ya, its such a useful tool.  Polish anything really.  Paint, headlights, fiberglass (boat, golf cart in my case).  I even took it to the vinyl on our golf cart last night as it was looking really crappy.  Don't know if I should have, but it worked  :rofl2: .

They have upholstery (and other) brushes to fit on orbitals. Have used them on seats of cars.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17830 on: May 10, 2023, 11:21:28 pm »
OK. You convinced me.... will order a Porter Cable.   :cheers:

Amazon OK or better alternatives?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17831 on: May 11, 2023, 02:20:47 am »

Amazon is fine.

But I just don't like how expensive it is now. A quality unit for sure and should last forever..I know mine did.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17832 on: May 11, 2023, 08:26:19 am »

Amazon is fine.

But I just don't like how expensive it is now. A quality unit for sure and should last forever..I know mine did.

The other one I was looking at and you also mentioned here, is the one from The Chemical Guys for $180, so not much of a difference considering it's something you buy once and keep long time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but from few years ago when I looked into these devices, I was under the impression that they run into $300-$400 range.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17833 on: May 11, 2023, 09:14:29 am »

Got mine at CrappyTire,  waited forever for it to go on sale
Mr Pickypants

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17834 on: May 11, 2023, 10:33:58 am »

Got mine at CrappyTire,  waited forever for it to go on sale

$250 and out of stock currently

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17835 on: May 11, 2023, 12:33:15 pm »
Sorry I bought mine like 25 years ago.  Built like a brick SH though compared to the new modern plastic cordless tools.

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: May 12, 2023, 07:15:45 pm »
Sold it.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: May 12, 2023, 11:49:29 pm »

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17838 on: May 13, 2023, 08:37:08 am »
 The 98 Frontier. Tired of sourcing parts. The last straw was the clockspring. None available in wrecking yards . Ordered one on ebay. Site indicated it would fit . It didn't. That is the trouble when you daily drive a 25 year old vehicle. Things wear out and are no longer available.
If it was a collectable garage queen I wouldn't be as fussed. Sold it to my mechanic. It was still a very solid vehicle otherwise. If parts were easier to source I would probably still have it.

What's next ? I will  continue to search for a ten year newer similar vehicle. This might be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17839 on: May 13, 2023, 12:25:40 pm »
The 98 Frontier. Tired of sourcing parts. The last straw was the clockspring. None available in wrecking yards . Ordered one on ebay. Site indicated it would fit . It didn't. That is the trouble when you daily drive a 25 year old vehicle. Things wear out and are no longer available.
If it was a collectable garage queen I wouldn't be as fussed. Sold it to my mechanic. It was still a very solid vehicle otherwise. If parts were easier to source I would probably still have it.

What's next ? I will  continue to search for a ten year newer similar vehicle. This might be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Dang, I have a clockspring for a 2009 Frontier sitting in a box here,wonder if it would have fit?