Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043381 times)

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17800 on: May 07, 2023, 09:25:18 am »
^^ If not successful at least a 3 year warranty.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17801 on: May 07, 2023, 01:37:15 pm »
Replaced the hinges on the lower tailgate on the Outlander yesterday. Had to loosen up the rear bumper and the tailgate cover to get to the bolts. Easy job in principle but when you do it the first time and without any info on how things are held in place and try not to break anything it's time consuming. Yet, despite being gentle and using trim tools at last half of the clips broke (16 years old so expected).

Having done the same on the BMW last year, I find it interesting that the bumper on the Mitsu is mounted almost exclusively with plastic push clips (save for 2 bolts) where the BMW uses tons of screws and nothing plastic. The same applies to all underbody trim, liners. etc. - BMW doesn't use any clips at all other than very few plastic nuts where Mitsu uses almost exclusively plastic push clips.

I was thinking in retrospect that that clips would be better weight saving measure - when you put all the little screws together (and there are tens of them) they weight quite a bit vs plastic clips which weight close to nothing. I would think weight would be more important for a sporty sedan than a run-of-the-mill SUV. On the other hand the mounting of the plastic trim using clips is flimsy, they break with age leading to trim they hold becoming unattached or warp, etc.

I wonder if this is a deliberate trade off the Germans do (I'm pretty sure BMW is not alone - VW is kind of the same way) in favor of a more solid build feel..... Haven't worked on other Japanese brands so not sure if it's a Japanese vs German thing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 01:39:48 pm by Dante »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #17802 on: May 07, 2023, 02:16:32 pm »
Nothing like puttering around in the garage, listening to music, and doing something productive with the cars, while it’s pouring outside:)

Changed to summers for the 335 and Camry. I get the shop to do the 4Runner.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17803 on: May 07, 2023, 02:41:17 pm »
You doing the clean and jerk to get the wheels in the rack? Getting my tires up on mine (high enough so at 6'2" I can walk underneath them is tough. I may install a little electric cable winch once I get too weak.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17804 on: May 07, 2023, 02:53:51 pm »

You doing the clean and jerk to get the wheels in the rack? Getting my tires up on mine (high enough so at 6'2" I can walk underneath them is tough. I may install a little electric cable winch once I get too weak.

We did this for dad!!

Got this little electric cable winch for moving his wine making stuff around.

Works perfectly.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #17805 on: May 07, 2023, 03:33:22 pm »

More like clean plus stool then press. On the other side of the garage I have another rack for the 4Runner wheels. Putting those up and down is my semi-annual physical strength test.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17806 on: May 07, 2023, 07:33:50 pm »
Nothing like puttering around in the garage, listening to music, and doing something productive with the cars, while it’s pouring outside:)

This might be the last season I do my own changeover on the Frontier.  The 18s on the Lexus are lightweights compared to the big 16s on the Frontier.  I don't have any problem with storage as I simply roll them in and out of my shed easily enough but getting them mounted on the studs is a real chore for my back.  :P

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17807 on: May 07, 2023, 08:07:41 pm »

We did this for dad!!

Works perfectly.

I have an electric cable winch I've used to pull dead vehicles into the garage, put an anchor into the floor under a workbench.    Also used it for pulling the dock out at the cottage. 
  What kind of winches are you guys talking about?
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17808 on: May 07, 2023, 08:11:53 pm »
You can get these little winches/wire lifts  that attach to the ceiling. In my case I have open trusses so I can mount it quite high and swing things where they need to go.

If I get enthused I may reinforce the roof trusses and lift 1-2 of the dirt bikes into the rafters for the winter or when not being used for a time.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 08:13:42 pm by ktm525 »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17809 on: May 07, 2023, 08:16:10 pm »
I put my 35's on a month ago.  The Tremor looked ridiculous all winter with the OEM 20 inch wheels sporting the standard OEM Blizzak size.  Speedo was off about 7 km/h.  :P   Will have to make up my mind soon about abandoning almost new Blizzaks for a larger size.  Hate winter tires.  What an expense.  But if I do, I'll spring for another set and I'm getting them with studs this round.

As for installation, there is little choice.  I use a secondary floor jack to lift the 35's in place more or less and then muscle them in from there.  I stack them using the forks on the small tractor.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17810 on: May 07, 2023, 09:27:05 pm »

Nice work. Nice garage setup.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17811 on: May 07, 2023, 10:34:10 pm »
Installed the battery in the TR6. Started at first crank, and drove beautifully home. She's out of storage, so I need to attack my last Lucas challenges and get this thing legal!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #17812 on: May 07, 2023, 11:42:28 pm »

More like clean plus stool then press. On the other side of the garage I have another rack for the 4Runner wheels. Putting those up and down is my semi-annual physical strength test.

You passed right?  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17813 on: May 08, 2023, 04:29:28 am »

We did this for dad!!

Works perfectly.

I have an electric cable winch I've used to pull dead vehicles into the garage, put an anchor into the floor under a workbench.    Also used it for pulling the dock out at the cottage. 
  What kind of winches are you guys talking about?
Like this:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/220-440-lb-electric-cable-hoist/product/PA0008873192

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17814 on: May 08, 2023, 06:25:11 am »

You passed right?  ;D

This year yes. My wife asked me what happens when I fail. Damage and hospital.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #17815 on: May 08, 2023, 10:06:42 am »

You passed right?  ;D

This year yes. My wife asked me what happens when I fail. Damage and hospital.

I bought a storage rack that doubles as lower storage for the MDX wheels. Can easily roll the tires in and out. Lifting them up to the hub is still a pain but not nearly as bad as clean and pressing them, lol. The heaviest wheels to do changeover on is my cousin's FJ Cruiser, those things weigh a ton. The wheels for my STI are pretty light so they're still stored up high.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17816 on: May 08, 2023, 08:19:45 pm »
Fancy bungee cord work, those ain't going anywhere!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17817 on: May 09, 2023, 12:11:01 am »
Got my new all in one compounding/polish and high tech pads out. The A5 is the recipient since I never really did do a super thorough correction on it. So let's get to it.

I've recently switched up my all time champ and favorite combo (Lake County CCS orange and 3d HDspeed) with 3d HD One with Uro-Fiber pads. Whereas HD speed has better long lasting protection, HD One has better compounding but has no protection to it. But since I use the stupendous Shinee Wax as my topper AND quick detailer, I've got the longevity covered. And otherworldly gloss too!

Since my body is still janky, I'll be doing this by panel. Not the ideal, but if I can't get back at it for a day or two I know the panel is finished and protected.

First I clay bar the panel. I'm using clay bars and Optimum No Rinse and Wax diluted to quick detailer level for the lube. It's obvious I've kept on top of the paint since its still surprisingly smooth and pretty contaminant free. But clay still pretty dirty. I then "quickly" wipe it down with Mother's CMX surface prep.

New pads are interesting. Micro fiber pad with cutting and finishing fibers. Very thin. HD One has excellent cut. Paint was really micro swirled. Easily corrected that. First was front passenger panel. Paint easily looks a shade of white whiter. Shinee Wax almost makes it glow in the dark!

Continued with further panels until being distracted by a few other areas. License plate bolts starting to rust, so changed them. Hit all rubber with Gummi Pflege. Cleaned and polished interior door areas. Detailed gas cap area, etc

Coming along nicely.

Will update with photos when done..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17818 on: May 09, 2023, 03:22:20 pm »
Day 2.

I just noticed something really cool with the Audi! Because the body line/crease is so reflective now after correction, it REALLY sharpens it up. Check it out!

A bit difficult to photograph..

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17819 on: May 09, 2023, 03:27:18 pm »
I put my 35's on a month ago.  The Tremor looked ridiculous all winter with the OEM 20 inch wheels sporting the standard OEM Blizzak size.  Speedo was off about 7 km/h.  :P   Will have to make up my mind soon about abandoning almost new Blizzaks for a larger size.  Hate winter tires.  What an expense.  But if I do, I'll spring for another set and I'm getting them with studs this round.

As for installation, there is little choice.  I use a secondary floor jack to lift the 35's in place more or less and then muscle them in from there.  I stack them using the forks on the small tractor.

Now thats a proper set of tires!!
Lighten up Francis.....