Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009479 times)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17020 on: December 13, 2022, 09:23:10 am »
Called the shops for both cars this week.  Good times.

The Golf is giving a low coolant warning now that the temperatures have dropped. The water pumps are known to leak right around this mileage. VW went with a variable flow rate pump to improve warm up times, the replacement is a fixed impeller.

And I'm pretty sure the CV joint in the Highlander just :censor: the bed.  I've been getting a clicking noise when turning right for a while now and all of a sudden got way worse and I now hear a clunking noise when applying throttle.

$$$...just in time for Christmas...I feel for you
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17021 on: December 13, 2022, 09:28:15 am »

The Golf is giving a low coolant warning now that the temperatures have dropped. The water pumps are known to leak right around this mileage. VW went with a variable flow rate pump to improve warm up times, the replacement is a fixed impeller.

And I'm pretty sure the CV joint in the Highlander just :censor: the bed.  I've been getting a clicking noise when turning right for a while now and all of a sudden got way worse and I now hear a clunking noise when applying throttle.

Sometimes the coolant just needs a top-up at this time of year, temperature and expansion are both low.  Hope that's all it is.
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17022 on: December 13, 2022, 09:47:18 am »
What is the mileage on both cars?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: December 13, 2022, 09:48:39 am »
Golf has 110k and Highlander has 215k (and fifteen years)

It could be just the cold lowering the coolant level but it didn't come up last year, and it's a pretty common failure so I'm not optimistic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:50:27 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17024 on: December 13, 2022, 09:50:48 am »

Sometimes the coolant just needs a top-up at this time of year, temperature and expansion are both low.  Hope that's all it is.

:iagree: Top it up first and keep driving it, if the light comes back, then you've got a leak.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17025 on: December 13, 2022, 09:56:05 am »
On the other hand if it's a known problem I'd rather fix it proactively ahead of time, especially with potential mobility/engine killer like that

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #17026 on: December 13, 2022, 10:12:06 am »

That sucks! Hopefully you can get them both fixed quickly & relatively painlessly cost wise.

Had to do the CV shaft on my son's Mazda 3 a couple weeks back. Noticed it when we did the winter tire swap. Took it to the new Canadian Tire as my indy was swamped. While there they found the front right ball joint was bad & did an oil change as well. Parts were reasonably priced & their labour rate wasn't too bad either. So overall we were happy with the service. Mechanic also noted the sway bar links were going. I have a brand new one for it already at home so he said to do it myself if I'm handy :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17027 on: December 13, 2022, 10:39:35 am »
Mechanic also noted the sway bar links were going. I have a brand new one for it already at home so he said to do it myself if I'm handy :rofl:

What is it with Mazda and their delicate little sway bar links?   I think they're the only ones I've ever changed.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17028 on: December 13, 2022, 10:55:56 am »
I think I had to put two sets of links into my Protege5 and it was due for a third set when I got rid of it

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17029 on: December 13, 2022, 02:20:05 pm »
I think it also has to do with driving behavior.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17030 on: December 13, 2022, 02:45:25 pm »

If you can't see it weeping out and can't smell it then do check the oil.  Probably just an oddity.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17031 on: December 13, 2022, 03:05:10 pm »
I've had a slow coolant leak on the GTI for at least a couple years now. I add maybe 1/2 cup of coolant every few months to top it up. Never saw a puddle under the car or smelled a leak, but I didn't look too carefully.

Last spring I figured I should probably do something about it, so took a closer look. Found a tiny pool of coolant on an underbody tray, and there seemed to be a bit of seepage around the secondary pump. The secondary pump is cheap and easy to replace, so I did that and thought the problem was fixed...

A few months later, coolant is low again.  ::)  Now I'm pretty sure it's seepage from the main pump which trickles down the hoses and front of the engine. Water pump is a hidden under the intake manifold and is a PITA to replace, so I'm just ignoring it again. Okay, not ignoring, just topping up the coolant every few months. Again, only 1/2 cup each time, so not a big deal. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17032 on: December 13, 2022, 03:18:35 pm »
I think it also has to do with driving behavior.
Guilty as charged

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17033 on: December 13, 2022, 03:22:25 pm »
I've had a slow coolant leak on the GTI for at least a couple years now. I add maybe 1/2 cup of coolant every few months to top it up. Never saw a puddle under the car or smelled a leak, but I didn't look too carefully.

Last spring I figured I should probably do something about it, so took a closer look. Found a tiny pool of coolant on an underbody tray, and there seemed to be a bit of seepage around the secondary pump. The secondary pump is cheap and easy to replace, so I did that and thought the problem was fixed...

A few months later, coolant is low again.  ::)  Now I'm pretty sure it's seepage from the main pump which trickles down the hoses and front of the engine. Water pump is a hidden under the intake manifold and is a PITA to replace, so I'm just ignoring it again. Okay, not ignoring, just topping up the coolant every few months. Again, only 1/2 cup each time, so not a big deal. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

That's the weep hole to prevent coolant from washing out the bearings. Seals are on the way out and catastrophic water pump failure is imminent. I wouldn't feel good about selling a car doing that with at least making the purchaser aware.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17034 on: December 13, 2022, 03:42:16 pm »
^^ oh yeah, not going to hide anything. I’ll mention it to the buyer and expect to take $500 off the price. If I had a decent indie in town I’d just pay to get it fixed myself, but taking it to the city and waiting around for a day is just too big a PITA.

Not sure about the weep hole and imminent failure part. It seems these pumps like to leak and can do so for a while.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17035 on: December 13, 2022, 03:54:03 pm »
Since it's a known failure, I'll have the dealership have a look at it.

They did mention if they find it quickly they will only bill a half hour.  We will see how that pans out.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17036 on: December 13, 2022, 04:10:28 pm »

That's the weep hole to prevent coolant from washing out the bearings. Seals are on the way out and catastrophic water pump failure is imminent. I wouldn't feel good about selling a car doing that with at least making the purchaser aware.

As long as it doesn't leak onto the timing belt too.  I ended up with 10 bent valves on an Audi because the water pump seal blew and in that engine the water pump was also the timing belt tensioner.  Belt got gooey and skipped

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #17037 on: December 13, 2022, 04:11:44 pm »
Isn't that a tensioner problem too?? If it jumps?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17038 on: December 13, 2022, 04:20:31 pm »
Timing chain on this engine. Incidentally, had the timing chain and tensioner replaced maybe 5 years ago. That’s another known issue with these cars - tensioner failures and chain stretch. Got the updated tensioner in there now so should be good.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17039 on: December 13, 2022, 04:28:29 pm »
Fack me. Thought I’d get a quote for a new water pump: $1,300 at a decent VW indie in the city.

Dammit, I might have to replace the stupid thing myself.  :P