Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008954 times)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16700 on: September 27, 2022, 08:39:57 pm »
Good lord that's bad. What motor is that?
4.5L V8 FWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #16701 on: September 28, 2022, 08:32:05 am »
Duh!  That's rust prevention right there!  Probably whatever is in line with that is the best kept part of the car!!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16702 on: September 28, 2022, 09:57:36 am »
Miata threw another engine code today - P0455, large evap. Forums say it could be a wide range of things - could be a faulty gas cap or a wide range of other related emissions parts.

Ordered an aftermarket cap that was highly recommended on Miata forums for $7. OEM version is $53!

Our neighbor has a first gen Miata. Still looks good, but high km, had it at his garage sale for $3500

Asked him how it was, still drives good apparently. He said though they had had some trouble with the wiper mechanism. Managed to fix it somehow, but he said the new part from Mazda would have been over two grand

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16703 on: September 28, 2022, 12:07:18 pm »
Had the Crosstrek washed and waxed yesterday at a parkade that I used to frequent before they gave us spots in our own building. $75 done while I work, and the guy beeps me out so I don't have to pay $20 for parking that I don't need. Can't beat the convenience! Also refueled for the first time at a bit over 400 km. The girls have been the main users with short trips, so it's sitting at 9.3 l/100 km.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16704 on: September 28, 2022, 02:14:30 pm »
Heard a "clickety-click" when IQ was turning in the A5.

Looks like new front CV joints are in order...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16705 on: September 28, 2022, 03:27:27 pm »
Miata threw another engine code today - P0455, large evap. Forums say it could be a wide range of things - could be a faulty gas cap or a wide range of other related emissions parts.

Ordered an aftermarket cap that was highly recommended on Miata forums for $7. OEM version is $53!

Our neighbor has a first gen Miata. Still looks good, but high km, had it at his garage sale for $3500

Asked him how it was, still drives good apparently. He said though they had had some trouble with the wiper mechanism. Managed to fix it somehow, but he said the new part from Mazda would have been over two grand

An NA Miata, if it's not rotten, for $3500 is a great buy these days.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16706 on: September 28, 2022, 03:43:14 pm »
I've never heard of a non-parts car Miata for $3500 in Alberta. I could be interested in that - my middle son would likely be in the market at that price point.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16707 on: September 28, 2022, 08:02:42 pm »
^^ check the rocker panel between the door and rear wheel. This is where they first start to go. If not rusted there probably a solid car. The 1.6 cars had black rockers not body colour. If it's been resprayed and repaired they usually paint body colour.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16708 on: September 28, 2022, 09:02:04 pm »
2 new CV Axles for the A5 shipped cost me $300 from RA.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16709 on: September 28, 2022, 09:16:27 pm »
$3500 for a Miata, minimal rust, is a steal. An excellent project vehicle.

Installed the new gas cap today - it is noticeably tighter fit than the old cap.  ;) Cleared the code, lets see if it appears within the next month or so of driving. Too bad the new cap is not tethered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16710 on: September 28, 2022, 10:36:59 pm »

Do you trust the cheapo ones from RA?

I was checking out of curiosity what they carry for BMW and they too have only cheapo ones...$60 for a CV axle?! Seriously, that's way too cheap....

The OE GKN is $300-$400 USD each. BMW Genuine is probably around $1000 CAD. The price difference is crazy....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #16711 on: September 28, 2022, 10:52:56 pm »
Had a AWD 3 series and one CV was bad. Was recommended on the BMW forum that I don’t use cheap aftermarket because of the same vibration issues I had with the Ridgeline. Found a set from the wreckers for $300/pair from a car with 36k. Rock Auto usually has sever different quality lines. I personally wouldn’t cheap out here just because of my past experiences with lousy CV axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16712 on: September 28, 2022, 11:36:58 pm »

I was checking out of curiosity what they carry for BMW and they too have only cheapo ones...$60 for a CV axle?! Seriously, that's way too cheap....

The OE GKN is $300-$400 USD each. BMW Genuine is probably around $1000 CAD. The price difference is crazy....

Why do you constantly believe everything without a BMW/Audi/Porshe part number is "cheapo".  Often they are made by the exact same company.  Except with the company's logo rather than the OEMs logo on it.  You are an OEM parts manager's wet dream.  :rofl: :rofl2:  More expensive parts don't always equal "better".  And the problem maybe isn't that something is cheap but rather the OEM pricing is grossly inflated.

I bought TrakMotive.  Their sole business is CV joints...nothing else. Brand new and not re-manufactured. AAR socket design..the whole deal.

I'm confident that this will meet or exceed OEM.  I find OEM German stuff is often questionable.  And seem to fail far, far sooner than Japanese OEM stuff.  Go check where some of the German OEM parts are made.  Not Germany!  :rofl: :rofl2:  I was told my water pump failure on the Porsche at about 90k was "normal".  ::)  Seriously?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:14:38 am by rrocket »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16713 on: September 29, 2022, 01:56:17 am »

Why do you constantly believe everything without a BMW/Audi/Porshe part number is "cheapo".  Often they are made by the exact same company.  Except with the company's logo rather than the OEMs logo on it.  You are an OEM parts manager's wet dream.  :rofl: :rofl2:  More expensive parts don't always equal "better".  And the problem maybe isn't that something is cheap but rather the OEM pricing is grossly inflated.

I bought TrakMotive.  Their sole business is CV joints...nothing else. Brand new and not re-manufactured. AAR socket design..the whole deal.

I'm confident that this will meet or exceed OEM.  I find OEM German stuff is often questionable.  And seem to fail far, far sooner than Japanese OEM stuff.  Go check where some of the German OEM parts are made.  Not Germany!  :rofl: :rofl2:  I was told my water pump failure on the Porsche at about 90k was "normal".  ::)  Seriously?

You grossly misunderstood my post and most likely my older posts on the parts choices. FWIW I didn't/don't buy any parts from the dealer other than hardware, trim pieces, sometimes accessories, so no, I'm definitely not the OEM parts manager's wet dream. I hope you can put that misconception to rest now.

I buy mostly from RA as you know, but I always look for the brand that makes the respective part for the manufacturer (I call it OE) but without the logo and branded box. Like you said, these parts are a fraction of the cost for the Genuine OEM part and gives some assurance on fit and quality, hence my preference.  Typically these parts are not significantly more expensive on RA, if at all, than the alternative aftermarket brands so why not.

FYI: For better or for worse, with two or three exceptions, everything I bought to date from RA for BMW was either made in Germany or EU. A single part was made in China (headlight washers). The other exceptions are South Africa (radiator) and Turkey (some of the power steering and cooling hoses). Everything I bought Genuine BMW was made in Germany or Western Europe.

Back to my original post, in the CV axle case I commented on (if you read my post carefully), I pointed out as a simple observation the fact that the gap between the aftermarket brands available on RA and OE equivalent (which in BMW case is GKN) is quite significant - $60-$100 CAD vs $300-$400 USD. RA doesn't offer the GKN part for a direct comparison but it would still be $300-$400 CAD if they would.

This is why I called the aftermarket "cheapo" because to me, a CV axle at $60 CAD is ridiculously cheap, hence the question....and trust me, it was a genuine question in itself. I like cheap, but dirt cheap prompts questions.... I surely hope it works out good for you.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:14:01 am by Dante »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16714 on: September 29, 2022, 09:19:31 am »

The TrakMotive stuff is really good, and is run by a very knowledge team. Their factory is one of, if not the largest, CV shaft factory for both OE and aftermarket. They're OE on a lot of the big brands, and their the private label manufacture on many of the big private brands in the US. The sheer volume allows them to keep their costs/prices lower than the competition in most cases.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16715 on: September 29, 2022, 03:16:32 pm »

The TrakMotive stuff is really good, and is run by a very knowledge team. Their factory is one of, if not the largest, CV shaft factory for both OE and aftermarket. They're OE on a lot of the big brands, and their the private label manufacture on many of the big private brands in the US. The sheer volume allows them to keep their costs/prices lower than the competition in most cases.
Yep!!  Good stuff.

I do a thorough search of the company if it's a name I don't immediately recognize.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16716 on: September 30, 2022, 02:51:57 pm »
Well I went OE  :o

The Ridgeline is turning into a money pit at around 195k kms.. I got a few phantom whines over the last few months and then the battery warning light tripped while driving down the highway after 20 minutes. Battery tested good so had to bite bullet on a new alternator. I have had bad experiences with remans and I needed the pars today so local it was. I don't want to do this process again. Old one was corroded but bearing felt OK (for 193k kms)

Off market remans were around $300-400 less a $50 core

New aftermarket was $800ish.

One of the Honda dealers had an OE sitting in in inventory so brand new OE made in Japan Denso it was.

Anyone care to guess the price?  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16717 on: September 30, 2022, 02:56:55 pm »
I'll open the bidding at an even grand.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16718 on: September 30, 2022, 03:10:52 pm »
Well I went OE  :o

The Ridgeline is turning into a money pit at around 195k kms.. I got a few phantom whines over the last few months and then the battery warning light tripped while driving down the highway after 20 minutes. Battery tested good so had to bite bullet on a new alternator. I have had bad experiences with remans and I needed the pars today so local it was. I don't want to do this process again. Old one was corroded but bearing felt OK (for 193k kms)

Off market remans were around $300-400 less a $50 core

New aftermarket was $800ish.

One of the Honda dealers had an OE sitting in in inventory so brand new OE made in Japan Denso it was.

Anyone care to guess the price?  ;D

$1200. Because, you know: Supply chain BS, getting hosed because we're in Canada, and dealer OEM tax.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16719 on: September 30, 2022, 03:51:13 pm »
Well list was $979 but I buy from a Honda dealer located in a lower socio/economic part of the City and their prices are always cheaper. They also had one in stock while the other money grubbing dealers had none and mentioned it would be Tuesday or Wednesday to get something.

$798 tax in which is still ridiculous but at least the labour was cheap.  ;D

The old unit at almost 12 years old was corroding. The ones down east must look horrible by now.