Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007666 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16360 on: May 13, 2022, 10:43:37 pm »

Bout :censor: time!!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

And it's supposed to rain Sat-Mon now.

FFS...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #16361 on: May 13, 2022, 10:53:13 pm »

FFS...
I've been topless here daily :rofl:

Monday - to & from golf
Tuesday - same as above
Thursday - to hockey, pub & home
Today - to & from golf

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16362 on: May 13, 2022, 11:03:47 pm »

FFS...
I've been topless here daily :rofl:

Monday - to & from golf
Tuesday - same as above
Thursday - to hockey, pub & home
Today - to & from golf

It's been a really rainy spring.

No big storms, just showers. Enough to make the roads gross and having the top down pointless.

Really slow start to the car season here.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16363 on: May 14, 2022, 10:09:58 am »
It's been fine the last week or two here. I've been commuting in a rotation of the toys. Giving the R8 some love this weekend, it's in dire need of a dust-off and shake down.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16364 on: May 14, 2022, 10:35:11 pm »
Auto-x'd the Elantra. My oldest boy bought his Lancer. The middle boy and I drove the Elantra.

Beat a few Corvettes even before PAX ratings applied.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16365 on: May 15, 2022, 12:51:39 am »
So much fun!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #16366 on: May 15, 2022, 09:10:32 am »
I've always wanted to try Auto X.  Had an older Elantra than that...figured it'd be perfect.  Worthless...manual...and ran like a top.  Sold it.  :(
Maybe I should do it with the Sonic.  It's at that point now too.  Just have to buy a helmet and good to go right?  ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16367 on: May 15, 2022, 03:02:33 pm »
Helmet is about it. Like any sport you can spend massively if you want but a snell helmet will usually do it. I have a pair of cheap RaceQuip ones.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16368 on: May 15, 2022, 03:07:36 pm »
I've always wanted to try Auto X.  Had an older Elantra than that...figured it'd be perfect.  Worthless...manual...and ran like a top.  Sold it.  :(
Maybe I should do it with the Sonic.  It's at that point now too.  Just have to buy a helmet and good to go right?  ;D

Take your son's motorcycle helmet, get it all sweaty and he'll gift it to you. 

Now start planting seeds that he should get a new helmet.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #16369 on: May 15, 2022, 03:12:28 pm »
Changed over winter tires/rims on the Camry with my son. Nice to get my hands dirty again, from a car perspective.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16370 on: May 15, 2022, 03:33:29 pm »

Most motorcycle ones aren't accepted here especially if DOT ones. Best to check with the local group. Its about the cheapest motorsport possible except maybe gokarting.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #16371 on: May 15, 2022, 10:05:03 pm »

Sonic would be a hoot! Pre-covid you could just show up and the club even had loaner helmets. (Winnipeg sports car club)
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16372 on: May 16, 2022, 12:09:01 am »

Most motorcycle ones aren't accepted here especially if DOT ones. Best to check with the local group. Its about the cheapest motorsport possible except maybe gokarting.

AFAIK Ontario accepts Snell and ECE R22.05, amongst other certifications.  I have an LS2 dirt bike helmet that's Snell approved that I can use.
I imagine Winnipeg is the same, should all be under FIA rules and insurance.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16373 on: May 19, 2022, 10:00:11 pm »
New KYB front strut & rear shock absorber finally installed this week, my 2014 Volt feel 150,000 km younger!  8) (She is actually 158K kms)
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16374 on: May 20, 2022, 09:22:13 am »
Found a good Benz indy (former lead tech at the stealership) thru a hockey buddy, took the SLK in there the other day for an oil change & quick visual inspection. Great guy and walked me thru everything while the car was up on the hoist, I was concerned about the engine & tranny mounts (known Benz failure with age), but all was good there. Front brake pads are down to about 30%, so I'll have to do those soon, but I'll just swap out the pads myself, will do some digging on what pads would be good, I liked the Stop Tech's I put on the 951, so I might look into those, or perhaps some Brembo's. Other thing he found was the drivers side valve cover gasket is starting to leak a bit, another common issue for the M113 engine of this age. The previous owner did the passenger side one before I bought the car. We spoke about some performance upgrades to the car, he said he could install a tune that would get me about 20 more hp, so not much there. We discussed long tube headers, which would really open up the performance big time  ;D

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16375 on: May 21, 2022, 12:22:42 am »
Found a good Benz indy (former lead tech at the stealership) thru a hockey buddy, took the SLK in there the other day for an oil change & quick visual inspection. Great guy and walked me thru everything while the car was up on the hoist, I was concerned about the engine & tranny mounts (known Benz failure with age), but all was good there. Front brake pads are down to about 30%, so I'll have to do those soon, but I'll just swap out the pads myself, will do some digging on what pads would be good, I liked the Stop Tech's I put on the 951, so I might look into those, or perhaps some Brembo's. Other thing he found was the drivers side valve cover gasket is starting to leak a bit, another common issue for the M113 engine of this age. The previous owner did the passenger side one before I bought the car. We spoke about some performance upgrades to the car, he said he could install a tune that would get me about 20 more hp, so not much there. We discussed long tube headers, which would really open up the performance big time  ;D

Absolutely support headers - the Vantage's were 1000% worth it for both performance and the way they sound.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #16376 on: May 29, 2022, 09:01:58 am »
I approved the auction listing for Bagheera. She goes live on Cars and Bids on Tuesday, May 31.

Fingers crossed!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16377 on: May 29, 2022, 09:27:14 am »
I approved the auction listing for Bagheera. She goes live on Cars and Bids on Tuesday, May 31.

Fingers crossed!
Good luck bud, I hope your reserve is met and you get a very nice sum of money.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16378 on: May 30, 2022, 06:27:58 am »

Fingers crossed!
Best of luck buddy :cheers:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16379 on: May 31, 2022, 04:41:13 pm »
Did some cosmetic work on the BMW these past days:

- Installed the custom Kuda phone "console" so now I have a stable and well integrated place to mount my phone (no vent clip, CD slot, suction cup stuff). Pretty happy with the outcome.
- Fixed the few (4) dents on the car with pretty satisfactory result (I had a mobile guy doing it not me)
- Touched up the paint chips on the hood (lots of small and very small ones); generally pleased with the result. Need to do the rest of the car, but it's much less work as there aren't many on the rest of the body
- Polished the headlights, but there is still some oxidation which I will attempt to remove; need to do another pass when the weather cools off a bit
- Did a trial paint correction on the hood only (will post some follow up questions in the Detailing section as I'm new to this and can use some advice)
- Did some basic exterior and interior cleaning but since the car will go to the shop(s) this week, I will do the final detailing after

Still some items left on the to-do list but getting there.... Next I want to replace the rubber trim at the top of the windshield and around the rear window as they are falling apart (known issue on this car at this age).