Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006632 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15920 on: January 16, 2022, 07:10:22 pm »

I did an oil change on the Elantra just before it hits 300k kms.

Impressive. Port injection for the win!  :D  What oil have you been using?

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15921 on: January 16, 2022, 07:32:19 pm »
Ski mode fully engaged & a few new stickers (for aerodynamics of course) installed on the roof box... Tremblant tomorrow for 20-25cm of fresh snow.

I had the same roof box.... Just sayin.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15922 on: January 16, 2022, 07:34:14 pm »
Ski mode fully engaged & a few new stickers (for aerodynamics of course) installed on the roof box... Tremblant tomorrow for 20-25cm of fresh snow.

I had the same roof box.... Just sayin.
Yeah, I was thinking that as I was installing it this afternoon... and as cold as it is right now I could see it exploding.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15923 on: January 16, 2022, 07:44:03 pm »

Impressive. Port injection for the win!  :D  What oil have you been using?

Whatever 5W20 synthetic oil is on sale at Canadian Tire. The previous guy had the same strategy. :)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15924 on: January 16, 2022, 07:48:47 pm »

Apparently I have a hole in my tail light now on the MX-5. Ugh.

It is maddening about the taillight, no idea how it happened?

I still cross often these older Elantra (my next neighbour has one, I recognize it muffler sounds @ 4:45am  ::)), seeing yours reaching 300K kms is meaningful about this generation, I guess  :P

No idea. I don't remember it looking like that when I put it away but I could have missed it. Someone could have bashed it in the garage I guess too. Its $250 on eBay so it sucks but could be worse.

In the meantime I fixed it with a little bit of red tape that my son used "repair" his Fiero with.

I drove the MX-5 tonight since it was warm out. Very different to the Elantra even though they share 2.0L engines. The Mazda clutch is very much on/off where as the Hyundai is a bit more old school.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:14:39 pm by Arthur Dent »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15925 on: January 16, 2022, 09:58:16 pm »

Needs Vtech stickers, y0.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #15926 on: January 16, 2022, 11:53:20 pm »
I noticed the date code on the Corolla's winter tires is 0612.  Must be the ones Dad bought in Fall 2012.

They'll be retired in Spring.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15927 on: January 17, 2022, 12:04:36 am »
I noticed the date code on the Corolla's winter tires is 0612.  Must be the ones Dad bought in Fall 2012.

I have a similar problem on the LS 460... the snowies are Toyo GSI-5 dated 0115. It doesn't seem like that long ago, but that's seven years. The log says that the car has seen about 28,000km since then total, so the tires probably have 15,000 on them.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #15928 on: January 17, 2022, 12:37:17 am »

I have a similar problem on the LS 460... the snowies are Toyo GSI-5 dated 0115. It doesn't seem like that long ago, but that's seven years. The log says that the car has seen about 28,000km since then total, so the tires probably have 15,000 on them.

These might have 20,000 km on them.  I'll make sure to check the all-seasons when I see them in Spring.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15929 on: January 17, 2022, 08:24:09 am »
-13 yesterday and daughter's Accent barely cranked, so at -25 today I knew what to expect - not even a "gnuh". Showed the girl how to properly jump start a car with the help of the Odyssey, and drove the Hyundai inside the warm garage for a battery swap. Came out in seconds, looks like the original 2014 item. Costco's replacement was in stock, but a lot longer - nearly 2", so I left it there. What CTC had in stock was also a bit longer, but less so than Costco so we got that, and a new air filter. Vaccumed the air box, installed the air filter, bolted the new battery in - it barely fits - and reset the clock. No fgc drama here  :) The oem battery sleeve (isolation?) went to the parts box as it's too small for the replacement.

Strange, as both Costco and CTC batteries for 2014 Accent show as 242-243mm long  ;)  :P

https://tires.costco.ca/Batteries/SearchResultsByVehicle?lang=en-ca&batteryType=Automotive&Year=2014&Make=Hyundai&Model=Accent&Engine=L4-1.6L-Gas~L4-1.6L-Gaz

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-group-size-47-h5-l2-battery-600-cca-0104700p.html

I hate that Costco retired the paper battery catalog and replaced it with a QR code that leads you to the same page you linked, and the same that I found. That $240 Energizer AGM battery (group 47 / H5), the only one that Costco lists for the Accent, was not in stock, but what I saw in store was a $120 Kirkland Signature H5 battery - that one does not come up for the car on Costco's website, hence my doubts that it would physically fit in the car.

The Energizer is indeed 242 mm. while the $183 Motomaster 650CCA we bought is 243 mm. The cheaper $167 600CCA was not in stock.

Original battery was much smaller, group 45, 330CCA only and it cranked fine until it entered its 8th year!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15930 on: January 17, 2022, 09:31:40 am »
Installed the cruise on the Sonic. It said to test it before final installation - i.e. drilling a hole to mount the stalk.  So, all don, connections all complete...out for a test drive...and...whoohoo! I did it(right)!!  It works.  Great!!  Drive it back in to the garage, figure I'll tackle the whole stalk on the column thing tomorrow...

Wake up...much too early...go feed the dog...

Aww fack.  >:( :banghead: :bang: :stfu:

The connections that you have to put into the little box connectors so you can connect it all up...are one time use only...and well wouldn't ya know it...there's NO way now I can get the parts of the stalk off so that I can screw it to the column, because that wee 1/4" opening is about half or less than the size of the box connectors, plus no way you can squeeze them through the shaft nut...oh FFS... ::)  Could I snip the wires and re-connect them?  Sure...if I was a mouse.  They're so damn thin they're barely the thickness of a hair.  Fack fack fack...maybe - just maybe - I can un-once those box connectors and do them again, if I can find the right tool to disconnect them.

Idiot... :bang:

Also...kid installed the dash cam on the truck with mom.  That one seems to have gone smoothly, just needs a breaker connector of some sort to power it up.

Ouch!!!

Sending you positive DIY vibes ...  :)

Thanks!  Musta worked.  A little patience (wife and son: you?  ??? Ahh fack off!  :stfu:), and a tiny screw driver, and I popped those one time use plugs out of their sockets, bent the little tab back out again, and once I had the hole drilled and the stalk mounted (which was a PITA in its own right - doesn't say anywhere in the instructions - that I saw - that you need to remove the steering wheel to get the lower column plastics off...so I didn't...and managed to squeeze my fingers in there...I am now a certified Sonic-gynocolumngist  :P) pushed them back into their respective little boxes (no pun intended) with a nice little click!, and voila!!  O0 One time my arse!  ::) :P So much extra wire to fold up under the dash I wouldn't be surprised if I find Stuart Little and his family all curled up in the already to go nest. Zip ties to the rescue.

But it works!   ;D  Can't wait to go somewhere with it now.   :bounce:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15931 on: January 17, 2022, 09:42:25 am »
Reminds me of warm and fuzzie memories from changing the turn signal stalk in the TR6 and its wiring harness. Blood, skin and curses all came out of the operation. But the blinkers now blink!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15932 on: January 17, 2022, 09:46:23 am »
There's something screwy with using that Costco battery link in store. I tried it on Friday for the RX and all it gave me on my phone was two AGM batteries that could only be ordered, at $215/230

When I try it now on the desktop I get, ironically, an additional two batteries, regular type that are available in store, at $125/140

This can't be helping them sell batteries

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: January 17, 2022, 09:51:09 am »
There's something screwy with using that Costco battery link in store. I tried it on Friday for the RX and all it gave me on my phone was two AGM batteries that could only be ordered, at $215/230

When I try it now on the desktop I get, ironically, an additional two batteries, regular type that are available in store, at $125/140

This can't be helping them sell batteries

The battery link and desktop gave me the very same webpage.

By curiosity, I checked for the e-tron ... and got the same AGM H5 battery recommended for the Accent. $700 at the dealer  :-X

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15934 on: January 17, 2022, 09:56:46 am »
Wonder if the Costco results are tied to inventory.....might omit products that are out of stock? I know, generally, there's a shortage of car batteries in the market right now. Cold snap in the West drained inventories and it's taking longer than usual to replenish.

As for me, I spent 1/2 day yesterday freezing my balls off outside changing both front hub assemblies on the Escalade (speed sensor in one of them was bad and was activating the trac control randomly). Hubs were freebies from work (mismatched brands, but meh).....but I feel like the sub-zero (it was hovering around -6) labor more than paid for it, lol. Glad I did though, with the big snow today, we need it.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15935 on: January 17, 2022, 10:31:15 am »
Wonder if the Costco results are tied to inventory.....might omit products that are out of stock? I know, generally, there's a shortage of car batteries in the market right now.

Believe that is exactly right. Refreshing the page on the phone today didn't help, but deleting that page and researching again showed all four

Not a great system (needs is a 'not in stock' notice), although it is nice it gives dimensions

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: January 17, 2022, 11:35:31 am »
Wonder if the Costco results are tied to inventory.....might omit products that are out of stock? I know, generally, there's a shortage of car batteries in the market right now. Cold snap in the West drained inventories and it's taking longer than usual to replenish.

Probably links to for-delivery inventory. Plenty of low-budget H5's at the store but they don't appear on the page. Interesting that no source I tried (Costco, CTC, Napa) offers a group 45 battery in the oem size. Still, simple little cockroach of a car - only had to reset the date and clock on the radio, and that's it. Bluetooth and radio pre-sets all stayed as programmed  :)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: January 17, 2022, 11:37:47 am »
Installed the cruise on the Sonic. It said to test it before final installation - i.e. drilling a hole to mount the stalk.  So, all don, connections all complete...out for a test drive...and...whoohoo! I did it(right)!!  It works.  Great!!  Drive it back in to the garage, figure I'll tackle the whole stalk on the column thing tomorrow...

The connections that you have to put into the little box connectors so you can connect it all up...are one time use only...and well wouldn't ya know it...there's NO way now I can get the parts of the stalk off so that I can screw it to the column, because that wee 1/4" opening is about half or less than the size of the box connectors, plus no way you can squeeze them through the shaft nut...oh FFS... ::)  Could I snip the wires and re-connect them?  Sure...if I was a mouse.  They're so damn thin they're barely the thickness of a hair.  Fack fack fack...maybe - just maybe - I can un-once those box connectors and do them again, if I can find the right tool to disconnect them.

Also...kid installed the dash cam on the truck with mom.  That one seems to have gone smoothly, just needs a breaker connector of some sort to power it up.

Ouch!!!

Thanks!  Musta worked.  A little patience (wife and son: you?  ??? Ahh fack off!  :stfu:), and a tiny screw driver, and I popped those one time use plugs out of their sockets, bent the little tab back out again, and once I had the hole drilled and the stalk mounted (which was a PITA in its own right - doesn't say anywhere in the instructions - that I saw - that you need to remove the steering wheel to get the lower column plastics off...so I didn't...and managed to squeeze my fingers in there...I am now a certified Sonic-gynocolumngist  :P) pushed them back into their respective little boxes (no pun intended) with a nice little click!, and voila!!  O0 One time my arse!  ::) :P So much extra wire to fold up under the dash I wouldn't be surprised if I find Stuart Little and his family all curled up in the already to go nest. Zip ties to the rescue.

Sounds like the install  went well other than the stalk. Must be for a Drive by wire system ,which is what most modern cars use now. No cables to be attached to the throttle or finding speed sensors under the dash or God forbid mounting magnets on the drive shaft. I 've done a few  those installs.

I've been doing some research on Base XL Maverick trucks. They don't have factory cruise. There is a video out already on installing one in a base truck .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snSmcSYqKbY . Looks like a cakewalk. Now if I could actually find  a truck to install it on. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15938 on: January 17, 2022, 11:57:16 am »

Ouch!!!

Congrats! Is now super Sonic  :D.

It's that warm and fuzzy feeling gynecolumnists get when things work out  :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #15939 on: January 17, 2022, 12:05:49 pm »