Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006591 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15900 on: January 13, 2022, 02:06:59 pm »
My Jag also has a BMS, and it needs to be reset if you change the battery. It dynamically charges the battery based on its state, a new or old battery have different charging and maintenance needs. Still dumb.

Maybe not so dumb...my original battery in the 335 is going on 7 years...

...and I probably just jinxed myself

I'm almost sure my BMW battery is original, which will make it almost 12 years old and just the other day, after the car sat outside for 2 days in -20/-15 degrees, when I started it, it did struggle a bit to start and then threw a code (CC-ID 415 - High discharge rate). I drove the car for about 40km and the code went away next time I started it the same night. So it's clearly on its last legs hence I bought a new one.

The other thing the BMS does is cut or reduce output to some consumers if the battery is low. That night I noticed that the rear windows defroster did not work right away, while the battery was still low.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #15901 on: January 13, 2022, 02:10:15 pm »
My Jag also has a BMS, and it needs to be reset if you change the battery. It dynamically charges the battery based on its state, a new or old battery have different charging and maintenance needs. Still dumb.

We're still milking the original battery in Bella's 323i... car hadn't moved since last Friday & has been sitting outside the whole time. Yesterday I went out to shovel & decided to start it. It took a while & did start, but not very happily. I let it run for a bit & then took it for a small drive, battery was weak still though. The HVAC wouldn't work properly, only the front defrost would engage the fan blower motor, all other heat settings did nothing. Again, BMW thing to save the battery. I put a charger on it overnight & this morning I started it & everything worked like normal again. Might swap out the battery this weekend & then drop it off at my indy to do the programming. Or just milk it a while longer, not like she's going anywhere, though if she were driving it regularly it might help :rofl:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

If you don't change it, she will drive it that one time and get stuck on the side of the road. It will happen :)
She's gotta booster pack in the trunk & knows how to use it :rofl:  plus it's a manual, can always bump start it :run:

I'd love to see that lol
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15902 on: January 13, 2022, 02:12:44 pm »

We're still milking the original battery in Bella's 323i... car hadn't moved since last Friday & has been sitting outside the whole time. Yesterday I went out to shovel & decided to start it. It took a while & did start, but not very happily. I let it run for a bit & then took it for a small drive, battery was weak still though. The HVAC wouldn't work properly, only the front defrost would engage the fan blower motor, all other heat settings did nothing. Again, BMW thing to save the battery. I put a charger on it overnight & this morning I started it & everything worked like normal again. Might swap out the battery this weekend & then drop it off at my indy to do the programming. Or just milk it a while longer, not like she's going anywhere, though if she were driving it regularly it might help :rofl:

If you don't change it, she will drive it that one time and get stuck on the side of the road. It will happen :)
She's gotta booster pack in the trunk & knows how to use it :rofl:  plus it's a manual, can always bump start it :run:

I'd love to see that lol
Me too :rofl:

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15903 on: January 13, 2022, 03:02:23 pm »
Put the trickle charger on the SLK, it's been sitting since Friday in the garage.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15904 on: January 13, 2022, 04:01:32 pm »
O2 sensor went in the Lexus today.  Indy said only one available in stock is in Halifax.  It's parked until that comes in.  Just as well with the another storm due to hit us tomorrow and Saturday. 

Second day in a row my wife had to turn around and come home after leaving the house.  Yesterday, it was because the snow that hit here so quickly and made driving treacherous within minutes.   

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15905 on: January 13, 2022, 04:22:05 pm »
Undrivable with a bad O2 sensor?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15906 on: January 13, 2022, 05:53:36 pm »

No, drives fine.  Wife doesn't like the cel symbol staring her in the face though.  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15907 on: January 13, 2022, 05:59:38 pm »

No, drives fine.  Wife doesn't like the cel symbol staring her in the face though.  ;D
I am surprised she would see it
I thought you would have a lot of electrical tape to cover it  :rofl2:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15908 on: January 14, 2022, 08:49:52 am »

He sold his FGC though, maybe the tape went with it?
Mr Pickypants

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15909 on: January 14, 2022, 01:06:13 pm »
Haven't "done" it yet - but the cruise for the Sonic arrived and so did my wife's dash cam for the truck.  Temps tomorrow look nice enough I might just tackle one, or both!  :banana:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15910 on: January 14, 2022, 04:04:08 pm »
^^  Did you get a Rostra kit or factory GM ?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15911 on: January 14, 2022, 04:56:39 pm »
Rostra - apparently GM doesn't make a clock spring for the 2012 to install it after the fact.  Fingers crossed it's not a cockup buy!

So long as it works...I'll be  :fiver: and a  :halffro: pimpin' while drivin' my car!  I can't wait!  ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15912 on: January 15, 2022, 06:55:05 am »

He sold his FGC though, maybe the tape went with it?

The airbag light was lit when I first bought the Z3M and I could tell the former owner had it taped over at some point because of the glue residue on the lens. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15913 on: January 15, 2022, 04:20:44 pm »
-13 yesterday and daughter's Accent barely cranked, so at -25 today I knew what to expect - not even a "gnuh". Showed the girl how to properly jump start a car with the help of the Odyssey, and drove the Hyundai inside the warm garage for a battery swap. Came out in seconds, looks like the original 2014 item. Costco's replacement was in stock, but a lot longer - nearly 2", so I left it there. What CTC had in stock was also a bit longer, but less so than Costco so we got that, and a new air filter. Vaccumed the air box, installed the air filter, bolted the new battery in - it barely fits - and reset the clock. No fgc drama here  :) The oem battery sleeve (isolation?) went to the parts box as it's too small for the replacement.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15914 on: January 15, 2022, 04:52:05 pm »
-13 yesterday and daughter's Accent barely cranked, so at -25 today I knew what to expect - not even a "gnuh". Showed the girl how to properly jump start a car with the help of the Odyssey, and drove the Hyundai inside the warm garage for a battery swap. Came out in seconds, looks like the original 2014 item. Costco's replacement was in stock, but a lot longer - nearly 2", so I left it there. What CTC had in stock was also a bit longer, but less so than Costco so we got that, and a new air filter. Vaccumed the air box, installed the air filter, bolted the new battery in - it barely fits - and reset the clock. No fgc drama here  :) The oem battery sleeve (isolation?) went to the parts box as it's too small for the replacement.

Strange, as both Costco and CTC batteries for 2014 Accent show as 242-243mm long  ;)  :P

https://tires.costco.ca/Batteries/SearchResultsByVehicle?lang=en-ca&batteryType=Automotive&Year=2014&Make=Hyundai&Model=Accent&Engine=L4-1.6L-Gas~L4-1.6L-Gaz

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-group-size-47-h5-l2-battery-600-cca-0104700p.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:04:43 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15915 on: January 16, 2022, 08:08:50 am »
Installed the cruise on the Sonic. It said to test it before final installation - i.e. drilling a hole to mount the stalk.  So, all don, connections all complete...out for a test drive...and...whoohoo! I did it(right)!!  It works.  Great!!  Drive it back in to the garage, figure I'll tackle the whole stalk on the column thing tomorrow...

Wake up...much too early...go feed the dog...

Aww fack.  >:( :banghead: :bang: :stfu:

The connections that you have to put into the little box connectors so you can connect it all up...are one time use only...and well wouldn't ya know it...there's NO way now I can get the parts of the stalk off so that I can screw it to the column, because that wee 1/4" opening is about half or less than the size of the box connectors, plus no way you can squeeze them through the shaft nut...oh FFS... ::)  Could I snip the wires and re-connect them?  Sure...if I was a mouse.  They're so damn thin they're barely the thickness of a hair.  Fack fack fack...maybe - just maybe - I can un-once those box connectors and do them again, if I can find the right tool to disconnect them.

Idiot... :bang:

Also...kid installed the dash cam on the truck with mom.  That one seems to have gone smoothly, just needs a breaker connector of some sort to power it up.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15916 on: January 16, 2022, 04:14:47 pm »
Ski mode fully engaged & a few new stickers (for aerodynamics of course) installed on the roof box... Tremblant tomorrow for 20-25cm of fresh snow.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15917 on: January 16, 2022, 06:34:32 pm »

I did an oil change on the Elantra just before it hits 300k kms.

Apparently I have a hole in my tail light now on the MX-5. Ugh.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15918 on: January 16, 2022, 07:00:41 pm »
Installed the cruise on the Sonic. It said to test it before final installation - i.e. drilling a hole to mount the stalk.  So, all don, connections all complete...out for a test drive...and...whoohoo! I did it(right)!!  It works.  Great!!  Drive it back in to the garage, figure I'll tackle the whole stalk on the column thing tomorrow...

Wake up...much too early...go feed the dog...

Aww fack.  >:( :banghead: :bang: :stfu:

The connections that you have to put into the little box connectors so you can connect it all up...are one time use only...and well wouldn't ya know it...there's NO way now I can get the parts of the stalk off so that I can screw it to the column, because that wee 1/4" opening is about half or less than the size of the box connectors, plus no way you can squeeze them through the shaft nut...oh FFS... ::)  Could I snip the wires and re-connect them?  Sure...if I was a mouse.  They're so damn thin they're barely the thickness of a hair.  Fack fack fack...maybe - just maybe - I can un-once those box connectors and do them again, if I can find the right tool to disconnect them.

Idiot... :bang:

Also...kid installed the dash cam on the truck with mom.  That one seems to have gone smoothly, just needs a breaker connector of some sort to power it up.

Ouch!!!

Sending you positive DIY vibes ...  :)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15919 on: January 16, 2022, 07:05:33 pm »

I did an oil change on the Elantra just before it hits 300k kms.

Apparently I have a hole in my tail light now on the MX-5. Ugh.

It is maddening about the taillight, no idea how it happened?

I still cross often these older Elantra (my next neighbour has one, I recognize it muffler sounds @ 4:45am  ::)), seeing yours reaching 300K kms is meaningful about this generation, I guess  :P
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...