Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006343 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15820 on: January 04, 2022, 12:53:32 pm »
  Pretty sure our rate's only 8.5/kwh (I should check again - might've gone up)

I rarely look at the supposed rate as there are so many add-ons, taxes and charges it is a fraction of the bill.   I take total bill divided by kWhr.   What's the point of saying my rate is $0.113 when it really isn't?
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15821 on: January 04, 2022, 01:53:07 pm »
Exactly. I have to take my "rate" and double it to account for all the rate riders and distribution BS.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15822 on: January 04, 2022, 01:58:43 pm »
Cheaper after 7pm  :rofl:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: January 04, 2022, 02:15:18 pm »
Yeah that basement under the garage sounds more like a dungeon...

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #15824 on: January 04, 2022, 02:25:08 pm »

I rarely look at the supposed rate as there are so many add-ons, taxes and charges it is a fraction of the bill.   I take total bill divided by kWhr.   What's the point of saying my rate is $0.113 when it really isn't?

I'd exclude the "base" charges such as service fee etc. Since they don't scale with usage (you'd be paying it anyways)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15825 on: January 04, 2022, 02:44:28 pm »

I'd exclude the "base" charges such as service fee etc. Since they don't scale with usage (you'd be paying it anyways)

There aren't any on my bill, it's electricity, delivery, a tiny regulatory charge, plus HST.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: January 04, 2022, 02:49:46 pm »

There aren't any on my bill, it's electricity, delivery, a tiny regulatory charge, plus HST.

Sometimes I forget you're an ex-NBer. NB charges $23/month as a "Service charge, + 11.38 cents per kWh

https://www.nbpower.com/en/products-services/residential/rates

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15827 on: January 04, 2022, 03:22:39 pm »
My average is 17.8 Kwh so a good 5000 watt 40 amp heater is gonna cost maybe 50cents an hour in a R20 insulated garage.  Although insulation under the concrete floor changes things.  Pretty cheap regardless.

In Ontario, "Delivery"  ::)  : "a portion of the cost is fixed and a portion varies depending on the amount of electricity used".  Typical Ontario Hydro double speak.  Assume it's 10% fixed and the remainder 90%.

I have a hydronic floor but haven't turned it on in ages because with it's insulated floor and R20 and R40 combo insulation it remains about 7C all winter.  If I do want to work inside for a few hours which is rare these days I use a 1500 watt electric space heater.

On the other hand my son uses his garage as a temporary office and he keeps that at 72F.  When he moves out of there he'll probably drop it down quit a bit. You listen to the nutters running the government and it's scary about how much they'll tax energy going forward.  Hence, we didn't fart around on the insulation/heating.  The space is as good as it can be other than having it's own air exchanger.  :D   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: January 04, 2022, 03:35:44 pm »
I had one of those tube heaters...sounded like a jet engine when running.

I have enough used oil that a used oil heater would work for me!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15829 on: January 05, 2022, 09:47:39 am »
My attached garage is insulated, has three warm sides (basement, house, bedroom above) and is kept warm with this electric ceiling unit:

Thermostat is set at about 12.5°C, I push it up as needed when I need to work in there.

Do you have a basement underneath your Garage? I haven't seen that anywhere I've been in Canada

Very common here, attached garages are on a structural slab so you're not stuck with an "L-shaped" basement. In my case it's about 5'10" underneath there so that area is devoted to storage (XMas stuff, tools, etc.). It's part of the actual basement space, not a closed-off dungeon! Opens up to my workshop on one side and the pantry on the other side.

The downside is that I would not dare install a garage lift on a residential-grade slab like that. In any case, I don't have the ceiling height for one.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15830 on: January 05, 2022, 10:06:47 am »
My attached garage is insulated, has three warm sides (basement, house, bedroom above) and is kept warm with this electric ceiling unit:

Thermostat is set at about 12.5°C, I push it up as needed when I need to work in there.

Do you have a basement underneath your Garage? I haven't seen that anywhere I've been in Canada

Very common here, attached garages are on a structural slab so you're not stuck with an "L-shaped" basement. In my case it's about 5'10" underneath there so that area is devoted to storage (XMas stuff, tools, etc.). It's part of the actual basement space, not a closed-off dungeon! Opens up to my workshop on one side and the pantry on the other side.

The downside is that I would not dare install a garage lift on a residential-grade slab like that. In any case, I don't have the ceiling height for one.

how if the waterproofing done?

No coating at all when built, the slab is slightly sloped to a central drain that is piped to a sediment box in the basement, which is piped to the house's sewer outlet. I had the epoxy coating done by pros a couple of years after the build. Never had a leak.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15831 on: January 05, 2022, 10:10:21 am »
That's neat. I guess I haven't been to too many houses in Montreal, but I've never seen one in Ottawa (and I did a lot of house hunting there) or out east.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15832 on: January 05, 2022, 10:13:44 am »

I've seen a couple places like that around here. There was one for sale near the head pond a couple months ago that had a workshop underneath the garage.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: January 05, 2022, 10:19:07 am »

I've seen a couple places like that around here. There was one for sale near the head pond a couple months ago that had a workshop underneath the garage.

It was a $2,500 extra during the construction back in 2006. If you did not spring for it, the full attached garage cavity was filled with ¾ gravel and a classic slab poured on top. Wasted space and opportunity!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15834 on: January 05, 2022, 12:07:20 pm »
That certainly seems like a no-brainer.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: January 05, 2022, 04:55:09 pm »
Next garage I build will have drains tied into the municipal sewer system. City doesn't like it but I think they are still allowed if built properly (sumps and oil trap). Fully heated, wrap around curtain. the whole shebang.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15836 on: January 05, 2022, 05:12:53 pm »
^ Yes.  Not sure what an oil and grit separator would cost for a house, but they are spendy on a site development.  I'm sure there's something reasonable for homes that a municipality would accept, although I've never looked into it. 

Most of my neighbours have the trench drains with the plastic holding trays.  Supposed to be cleaned out when full. One neighbour drilled holes in the bottom of his.  Now its self draining, but he's wondering why his driveway slab is heaving.  I tried to explain that the saturated soil will freeze and heave, but he wasn't buying it.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #15837 on: January 08, 2022, 05:06:05 pm »
Took advantage of the "warm" weather and did an oil change on the Acadia. It was only in the negative teens instead of negative 20's today, balmy!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15838 on: January 08, 2022, 05:27:11 pm »
Took advantage of the "warm" weather and did an oil change on the Acadia. It was only in the negative teens instead of negative 20's today, balmy!

Were you wearing your safety crocks and vacation shorts?  :P ;D

I'm sloooooowly approaching 8,000 because of the corona work schedule. Did my first oil+filter at under 1000km (engine break-in) and hoping to do the second one in the next week or so. I decided to stick with 6 mnth / 8,000k whichever comes first. It could be an overkill but I like the thought of sparkly-clean bits inside the engine. Fingers crossed for above zero temps  :-[
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:54:37 pm by EV Dan »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15839 on: January 08, 2022, 05:57:07 pm »
Next garage I build will have drains tied into the municipal sewer system. City doesn't like it but I think they are still allowed if built properly (sumps and oil trap). Fully heated, wrap around curtain. the whole shebang.

My garage is 75+ years old. The floor drains rum into a pipe that exits the foundation wall on the back of the garage where the land falls away about 6-8" above the lawn. It tales a 90* turn and disappears into the ground running downhill and ends who knows where.  I suspect it just ends ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.