Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3005832 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15740 on: December 15, 2021, 11:14:50 am »
Yeah those are the two most common sources of coolant leaks on the JLR 5.0. Also there is a pipe at the back under the supercharger that can go, but it is a little more rare.

Best of luck with the fix, and I recommend strongly you put on the most updated parts you can, even if they are a little more expensive.

Luckily the V8 in the LR4 is NA, a supercharger would add a whole level of complexity. As it was it wasn't too bad. If I had to do it again I could swap tha pump in an hour. Still need to sort out the little plastic elbow that connects into the front port on the pump as LR "redesigned" the assembly so I have to hack the new part apart to get the piece I need.  I may need some extra cooling hose and clamps to make it all work.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #15741 on: December 16, 2021, 08:42:33 am »
I almost got whizzed by Toyota Dealership. I went yesterday for an oil change, after about an hour and a half, the tec came and said, there is a coolant leak.  It going to need a new radiator, your need to book in, she pulled a funny face. I know for a fact that the car is not leaking coolant  at all. The garage floor is almost spotless. Umm, This is odd. Last night I got a large sheet of carboard and parked the Camry on top. Not OZ of anything dripping on the floor over night.

Now this car is immaculate, full service history from Toyota, right down to every single maintenance item has been done to the letter. This car is flawless and hasn't cost me a penny in almost 2 years. This is a 2011 car, so not new by any stretch of imagination, you would expect a bill on used car, so far none. I was slight iffy after the last 2 oil changes, the dealership want to do a throttle body service, Next time they want to change brake fluid. Every time I said no. For years I have been taken my Echo with out any nonsenses from them, but since Covid, it's been up sell, up sell. I won't go back. I even brought the car from them.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15742 on: December 16, 2021, 08:47:48 am »
I almost got whizzed by Toyota Dealership. I went yesterday for an oil change, after about an hour and a half, the tec came and said, there is a coolant leak.  It going to need a new radiator, your need to book in, she pulled a funny face. I know for a fact that the car is not leaking coolant  at all. The garage floor is almost spotless. Umm, This is odd. Last night I got a large sheet of carboard and parked the Camry on top. Not OZ of anything dripping on the floor over night.

Now this car is immaculate, full service history from Toyota, right down to every single maintenance item has been done to the letter. This car is flawless and hasn't cost me a penny in almost 2 years. This is a 2011 car, so not new by any stretch of imagination, you would expect a bill on used car, so far none. I was slight iffy after the last 2 oil changes, the dealership want to do a throttle body service, Next time they want to change brake fluid. Every time I said no. For years I have been taken my Echo with out any nonsenses from them, but since Covid, it's been up sell, up sell. I won't go back. I even brought the car from them.

Just to play devil's advocate, some coolant leaks don't make it to the ground, they only leak when pressurized and basically leak steam.
Also, why not change brake fluid on a 10  year old car?

But yeah,  some dealers are really looking to get as much as they can out of you.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15743 on: December 16, 2021, 09:02:33 am »

Just to play devil's advocate, some coolant leaks don't make it to the ground, they only leak when pressurized and basically leak steam.

But yeah,  some dealers are really looking to get as much as they can out of you.

The brake fluid isn't dirty, is was changed four years ago. I have the date too when it was last changed. So it could be borderline. But it would be cheaper elsewhere for that. The coolant they found a stain and a 2 spots, said I would need to have a mechanic to do a diagnoses.  Which is close to 200 bucks. The coolant level is identical level that is has always been on the bottle, it has never moved from the line.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15744 on: December 16, 2021, 09:04:38 am »
I think the rule of thumb for power steering (if hydraulic) and brake fluid is 2-3 years. Maybe that's why they recommended the service. What does the manual say for your car?

Cheap service to keep the pumps in good working condition in the long run.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15745 on: December 16, 2021, 09:09:00 am »

The brake fluid isn't dirty, is was changed four years ago. I have the date too when it was last changed. So it could be borderline. But it would be cheaper elsewhere for that. The coolant they found a stain and a 2 spots, said I would need to have a mechanic to do a diagnoses.  Which is close to 200 bucks. The coolant level is identical level that is has always been on the bottle, it has never moved from the line.

Very good.  I think you're right, they are looking hard for money.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15746 on: December 16, 2021, 09:13:51 am »

I just think they trying to make extra for diagnostic, it's doesn't need a new radiator.

I think the rule of thumb for power steering (if hydraulic) and brake fluid is 2-3 years. Maybe that's why they recommended the service. What does the manual say for your car?

5 years, I'm going to do that, next oil change, It is very very light golden color. not even dark. it was changed in may 2017. According to service history and also the coolant was changed too.  Both are 4 years old.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15747 on: December 16, 2021, 09:18:19 am »

I just think they trying to make extra for diagnostic, it's doesn't need a new radiator.

5 years, I'm going to do that, next oil change, It is very very light golden color. not even dark. it was changed in may 2017. According to service history and also the coolant was changed too.  Both are 4 years old.

Coolant should be fine at 4 years old. If the manual says 5 years for brake fluid, then perhaps you are fine. Maybe Toyota has some special fluid that lasts longer.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15748 on: December 16, 2021, 04:30:21 pm »
Slow leak in the right rear tire of the Audi, picked up by the out-of-wheel sensors while daughter was leaving for work. Indeed, it was down to 25 psi from the initial 38 psi. I pumped it up and let her leave with the car (surface streets only, short commute). It stayed where it was set for the day. Heading to Costco tomorrow morning for free repair (Blizzaks bought there in 2017).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15749 on: December 16, 2021, 07:14:38 pm »
Went for a top down drive in 16 degree weather on December 16th.  Not bad!

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15750 on: December 16, 2021, 07:23:47 pm »

Coolant should be fine at 4 years old. If the manual says 5 years for brake fluid, then perhaps you are fine. Maybe Toyota has some special fluid that lasts longer.

Lol, No that's me, if it looks light yellow, or white, it's fine, this is just starting to change. Borderline. According to google, Lol. Every 20,000 miles, or 32,000 clicks.  ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: December 16, 2021, 11:01:39 pm »
Your grass is green wtf looks like August.   ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15752 on: December 16, 2021, 11:06:37 pm »
Went for a top down drive in 16 degree weather on December 16th.  Not bad!

I was out in the SLK today, didn't drop the top as there was tooooo much water on the road where I'd be getting too much road spray from other cars.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15753 on: December 16, 2021, 11:14:37 pm »
^^^ That passive aggressive plate must egg on a lot of Civics to race you  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: December 17, 2021, 12:39:44 am »
Also just noticed the pic. Is paving your driveway in asphalt normal down east? Here in Calgary it is 99% concrete. What's up?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: December 17, 2021, 01:05:47 am »
Also just noticed the pic. Is paving your driveway in asphalt normal down east? Here in Calgary it is 99% concrete. What's up?

Quote for my driveway in concrete ~$25,000

Quote in asphalt ~$3,500

I went with asphalt.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 01:09:22 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15756 on: December 17, 2021, 06:17:49 am »
99% are asphalt

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15757 on: December 17, 2021, 08:21:48 am »

Quote for my driveway in concrete ~$25,000

Quote in asphalt ~$3,500

I went with asphalt.

Same here, asphalt was $5K, concrete was a stupid amount.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: December 17, 2021, 09:29:19 am »
Slow leak in the right rear tire of the Audi, picked up by the out-of-wheel sensors while daughter was leaving for work. Indeed, it was down to 25 psi from the initial 38 psi. I pumped it up and let her leave with the car (surface streets only, short commute). It stayed where it was set for the day. Heading to Costco tomorrow morning for free repair (Blizzaks bought there in 2017).

The TMPS light came on in the Higlander yesterday.  Tires look fine, I'll check the pressures today.  I was driving into a pretty heavy wind and was being buffeted, wondering if that would be enough to trigger it.

The crazy part is that there's a reset button next to the OBD port below the dash.  Just press it and the light goes away.  So simple.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15759 on: December 17, 2021, 09:49:30 am »
The TMPS light came on in the Higlander yesterday.  Tires look fine, I'll check the pressures today.  I was driving into a pretty heavy wind and was being buffeted, wondering if that would be enough to trigger it.

The crazy part is that there's a reset button next to the OBD port below the dash.  Just press it and the light goes away.  So simple.

Rough backroads are enough to trigger mine on the CX-3.  Reset button is very handy.