Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3005838 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15720 on: December 13, 2021, 11:48:40 pm »
^^ I was wondering about the “watched him work” comment above. You let customers watch while their cars are being serviced? Did you put big windows in the shop wall just for this? Or does carcrazy get a backstage pass?  :rofl2:

Seems odd, IMO. Yeah, full transparency and all that, but sometimes it’s best not to see how the sausage gets made.

How do the techs feel about it? Most people don’t appreciate someone looking over their shoulder while they work.

Absolutely not. We have a waiting lounge upstairs where people can hang out while their car is being worked on, or they can drop off/pick up (which we prefer, but obviously isn't always ideal for the client).

I know the last time I was there and CarCrazy had come by for something, he had some time to kill so opted to wait for his service. I'm fairly sure it was after he peered through the window the entire time  ;D ;D ;D that the techs asked if we can have the windows frosted, tinted or blocked off. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

Nothing against CarCrazy or any client in particular, but it's something that was an oversight on my part before and I didn't realize the impact it has on the technicians' performance. The techs get sweatier and way more conscious when they're being watched, so I respect that. You're right about the "sausage getting made" analogy there.

The previous management at our shop also had a small group of "old boys club" friends that would come and hang out in the shop while their stuff was worked on - that's a hard no. Again, lots to learn on my part, so I'm taking all feedback I can from both clients and my staff to see how things can be improved.

Best shop I ever went to, Accelerated Performance in OH. https://www.acceleratedperformance.com/  They didn't care if you sat in the shop and watched (they had chairs), or if you looked around at other project on the go..and they even didn't care if you helped them wrench.  And they even bought YOU lunch on the day you were there.

Just the absolute greatest shop I've ever been to...even if it doesn't look like much from the street.

I absolutely adore those guys and IQ and I still go there a few times a year just to hang out in the shop and visit while they wrench.  Just the greatest guys, ever.

All 3 indy's I've used here (1 man operations) were OK with you being in the shop, chatting or pointing out minor things about the job they may not be aware of.  One of them even asked IQ if she could put her tiny hand into the engine bay to wrench on something because his burly hand wouldn't fit.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Agree to disagree there. I’ve gotten a ton of feedback that techs don’t like to be disturbed while they’re working. They’re excellent performers when given some autonomy so I’m okay with going with that.

Well you can disagree all you want!   :rofl: :rofl2:

It's the best shop I've ever been to.  And it's not like we distracted them from building some of the best engines and fastest cars in the US.  Surely they can cope and do enjoy people in the shop.   But this isn't a "regular" shop like yours.  More of an enthusiast place. Maybe even  hard core enthusiast place.

I mean...surely there's liability on your end to having people in the shop. That would be the biggest thing in ANY shop IMO.  And probably the biggest legit concern for ANY shop owner.  But if your techs like to work a certain way, so be it.  You need to extract the most from your techs ability..and if that means them working without being watched, so be it.  You have a business to run after all.  You need to cater to your techs, their ability, and their ability to make you money AND do a good job.

Me?  I'm a superstar at my highly technical job.  Someone watching me doesn't phase me in the least.  I've had groups as big as 20-30 people (customers; 2-3 is more the norm) watching me work on their multimillion dollar stuff.  Job gets done just the same..at a very high level...whether I'm by myself..or whether I'm being scrutinized.  This also might be due to the fact that at the big IMTS show, I was one of the guys running seminars in an auditorium filled with hundreds of people while I demonstrated software, machining techniques, etc.

Of course this is a big YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 12:02:14 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15721 on: December 14, 2021, 12:09:05 am »

Me?  I'm a superstar at my highly technical job.

:rofl: This actually made me laugh out loud Ron. Modest much?  :rofl2:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: December 14, 2021, 12:17:48 am »

I am bad at far, far, far FAR more things that I am good at. True statement, unfortunately.  :'(  But my job is not one of those things.  Always took it seriously and craved learning more and being the "best".  But just for myself...to see what was possible.  My co-workers call me "The G.O.A.T" here.   :rofl: :rofl2:

There's a reason I was the youngest instructor on staff at the College when I worked there.  I know this trade, and I know it very, very well.  Better than most.  And I have no idea why.  It always came relatively easy to me.  Did I ever mention I was offered a job on an F1 team when I was younger?  :)

Surely there must be some skills that you're quite superb at? Let's hear it!  I think everyone possesses greatness at something.

Honestly, I'd really like to hear what skills other members here possess making them "superstars".  Would be an interesting thread IMO.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 12:26:16 am by rrocket »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15723 on: December 14, 2021, 12:26:52 am »

I am bad at far, far, far FAR more things that I am good at. True statement, unfortunately.  :'(  But my job is not one of those things.  Always took it seriously and craved learning more and being the "best".  But just for myself...to see what was possible.  My co-workers call me "The G.O.A.T" here.   :rofl: :rofl2:

There's a reason I was the youngest instructor on staff at the College when I worked there.  I know this trade, and I know it very, very well.  Better than most.  And I have no idea why.  It always came easy to me.  Did I ever mention I was offered a job on an F1 team when I was younger?  :)

Surely there must be some skills that you're quite superb at? Let's hear it!

Honestly, I'd really like to hear what skills other members here are "superstars" at.  Would be an interesting thread IMO.
I'm a superstar Project Manager :rofl:  or at least I get paid as one :run: 

Honestly though, much like you, it does come naturally to me for some odd reason & when I'm running projects, presenting, or in meetings everyone tells me afterwards how well I did or some other BS & I'm just winging it. But years of experience do help with that & I know what needs to be done, what obstacles we might face & general pace of work that can/will be accomplished.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15724 on: December 14, 2021, 12:27:46 am »

There's a reason I was the youngest instructor on staff at the College when I worked there.  I know this trade, and I know it very, very well.  Better than most.  And I have no idea why.  It always came relatively easy to me.  Did I ever mention I was offered a job on an F1 team when I was younger?  :)

Surely there must be some skills that you're quite superb at? Let's hear it!  I think everyone possesses greatness at something.

Honestly, I'd really like to hear what skills other members here possess making them "superstars".  Would be an interesting thread IMO.

Being humble?  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: December 14, 2021, 12:33:04 am »

Being humble?  :rofl2:

Yea, it sounds terrible and braggadocious  for sure, Bob.  Until I say in the same breath...I don't have greatness in anything else, really.

I mean..would I be off the mark to say you possess greatness in photography?  I've seen some of your work that was better than "professional" works in magazines, advertisements, etc etc.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 12:37:12 am by rrocket »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15726 on: December 14, 2021, 02:35:10 am »
^^ I was wondering about the “watched him work” comment above. You let customers watch while their cars are being serviced? Did you put big windows in the shop wall just for this? Or does carcrazy get a backstage pass?  :rofl2:

Seems odd, IMO. Yeah, full transparency and all that, but sometimes it’s best not to see how the sausage gets made.

How do the techs feel about it? Most people don’t appreciate someone looking over their shoulder while they work.

Absolutely not. We have a waiting lounge upstairs where people can hang out while their car is being worked on, or they can drop off/pick up (which we prefer, but obviously isn't always ideal for the client).

I know the last time I was there and CarCrazy had come by for something, he had some time to kill so opted to wait for his service. I'm fairly sure it was after he peered through the window the entire time  ;D ;D ;D that the techs asked if we can have the windows frosted, tinted or blocked off. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

Nothing against CarCrazy or any client in particular, but it's something that was an oversight on my part before and I didn't realize the impact it has on the technicians' performance. The techs get sweatier and way more conscious when they're being watched, so I respect that. You're right about the "sausage getting made" analogy there.

The previous management at our shop also had a small group of "old boys club" friends that would come and hang out in the shop while their stuff was worked on - that's a hard no. Again, lots to learn on my part, so I'm taking all feedback I can from both clients and my staff to see how things can be improved.

Just looking through the glass doors facing the shop from the reception/lobby. Zero interaction with the mechanics and far away behind the doors. And no, I wasn't watching all the time by any means - not sure where that came from.  Last time (for wheel bearings) I was there for 7 hrs. Do you really think I could stand there in front of the door for the entire time? Not even close. No special shop privileges either - did not set foot in the shop. Interesting, I never thought that peeking through a glass door at times while waiting is unwelcomed.

By all means, if having customers looking into the service bay from behind a door is an issue for your mechanics, put up an interdiction sign or cover the glass. Problem solved.

In contrast, my local BMW dealership has a big glass wall in the waiting area, facing the service bay. You can sit at the bar along the glass and watch all you want. Maybe these places want to showcase their work and give customers peace of mind that the work is being done and their cars are treated well?

I kind of agree though that sometimes is better not to see/know what's happening in the shop with your car....

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15727 on: December 14, 2021, 08:36:27 am »

Agree 100%.  F off and let people do their jobs.  People who need to micromanage are the worst.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15728 on: December 14, 2021, 08:40:42 am »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15729 on: December 14, 2021, 12:27:31 pm »

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15730 on: December 14, 2021, 12:29:47 pm »
Ran the jeep through a bunch of snow drifts and snow banks on the way to work.....

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15731 on: December 14, 2021, 08:14:11 pm »
Land Rover is getting a new water pump.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15732 on: December 14, 2021, 08:20:53 pm »
No surprise, seems to be the most common issue on the 5.0L. Are you DIY-ing?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15733 on: December 14, 2021, 10:04:57 pm »
Trying to get an idea what is empty on the Rolla so I ran the DTE down to 20 km before filling up and then added 40L into the 50L tank. Seems to be very conservative with its estimation.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15734 on: December 14, 2021, 10:08:39 pm »
Trying to get an idea what is empty on the Rolla so I ran the DTE down to 20 km before filling up and then added 40L into the 50L tank. Seems to be very conservative with its estimation.

Wow, high 'Rolla.

No seriously, when did you get a Corolla? Pics?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15735 on: December 15, 2021, 12:32:34 am »

Yeah it just sort of snowballed.  ;D Noticed some coolant drips down under front of engine. Shop put a cheap URO pump on about 50k kms ago so I assumed it was the front coolant crossover. Upon disassembly it crumbled so that was good because failure of this part turns the engine into a $15k paperweight. Replaced the crossover and figured since it was dry I figured it may be the pump so I put an OE one in ($400 yikes), All went smooth except I broke a tiny little plastic fitting that plugs into the front of the water pump. Of course it is not available by itself and Land Rover has redesigned the whole assembly so there may be some Macgyvering tomorrow to make something work.

I hate throwing parts at it but a coolant leak on these things is fatal and engine replacement is nearing vehicle value so.... best to be prudent.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15736 on: December 15, 2021, 07:04:53 am »

Wow, high 'Rolla.

About two months ago. Just wanted something reliable and good on gas. While I do miss the pull in 3rd gear (had a +1 tune) and the sharper steering, to me the Rolla doesn't give much up to a 13 year old GTI especially since 70% of my driving is highway with the cruise on.

Pic from October as I haven't done a proper show and shine yet.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=91359.msg1587311#msg1587311

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15737 on: December 15, 2021, 09:17:54 am »

Yeah it just sort of snowballed.  ;D Noticed some coolant drips down under front of engine. Shop put a cheap URO pump on about 50k kms ago so I assumed it was the front coolant crossover. Upon disassembly it crumbled so that was good because failure of this part turns the engine into a $15k paperweight. Replaced the crossover and figured since it was dry I figured it may be the pump so I put an OE one in ($400 yikes), All went smooth except I broke a tiny little plastic fitting that plugs into the front of the water pump. Of course it is not available by itself and Land Rover has redesigned the whole assembly so there may be some Macgyvering tomorrow to make something work.

I hate throwing parts at it but a coolant leak on these things is fatal and engine replacement is nearing vehicle value so.... best to be prudent.

Yes, coolants leaks are definitely the Achilles heel of the JLR 5.0L. Water pump and crossover being two of the most common sources, so definitely a good thing to do. Looks like you've got decent access, which makes all the difference. In the XKR I can't even see the water pump without significant disassembly....It was done in 2015 at a Jag dealer in the US, hopefully I don't have to touch it anytime soon.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15738 on: December 15, 2021, 09:58:03 am »
Yeah those are the two most common sources of coolant leaks on the JLR 5.0. Also there is a pipe at the back under the supercharger that can go, but it is a little more rare.

Best of luck with the fix, and I recommend strongly you put on the most updated parts you can, even if they are a little more expensive.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15739 on: December 15, 2021, 10:51:08 am »

Wow, high 'Rolla.

About two months ago. Just wanted something reliable and good on gas. While I do miss the pull in 3rd gear (had a +1 tune) and the sharper steering, to me the Rolla doesn't give much up to a 13 year old GTI especially since 70% of my driving is highway with the cruise on.

Pic from October as I haven't done a proper show and shine yet.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=91359.msg1587311#msg1587311

Nice! The TNGA-based Corolla is great. They see you 'Rollin...  ;)