Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006470 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15340 on: October 09, 2021, 03:05:10 pm »

.  They also likely can buy parts cheaper than us because of the volume and relationships they have. 

LOL

I'm reasonably sure he's not doing part volume like RockAuto.

Absolutely - we can't touch stuff like RockAuto, but I will not charge an insane markup for the sake of making money. Charge a reasonable amount today, and the customer will be back. If I charged an extra $200 today, that $200 gravy could cost me a customer for life, and that's not worth it.

Many of my good clients and friends, I'm happy to charge my cost on the part because I'll make a couple bucks in labour, and I consider my friends my "brand ambassadors". I take care of them in hopes that word of mouth will bring me other customers.

Of course, less than 10% of customers are like Ron (and myself, and CarCrazy), and see value in doing the research. We have tons of enthusiasts as customers, but enthusiasts who have the time to source their own stuff, wait a few days for shipping, etc. are a rare breed. That said, there are disadvantages to sourcing your own stuff and saving money, too.

My supplier may be a few bucks more, but it'll 100% be here the same day and I can have a car off the hoist in the promised amount of time.

If the customer brings his/her own parts, I can't warranty them, and if they end up being defective, it's up to that customer to fight the battle with their vendor and figure it out. The vendor will, the majority of the time, say that it's the installer's negligence and tell you to pound sand.

When we first got the E39 M5 last year, I didn't have the shop yet. I ordered a couple of small things off RockAuto. One part worth $300 was defective and never worked. They wouldn't accept the return, and I was SOL. Just things to keep in mind.
The comment wasn't directly about YOUR business practices specifically, which I'm sure is run properly. But the auto service industry in general which isn't great. And the bad reputation/distrust was self created by bad shops for shabby work and over charging for parts.

I mean...I have no doubt you have stories of you guys fixing botched jobs from other shops.

Oh yeah, for sure. Just had to explain my perspective too, so I don't look like a d*nk!

Back on topic for the thread... three down, three to go. It'll be neat to have all six toys stored in one place for the season. The S2000 was parked already, but I parked the Camry and the M5 this week. My wedding is at the end of November so I'm just simply running out of time. I'll be parking the 911 after it's used in my pal's wedding next weekend, and the Vantage sometime this coming week.

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15341 on: October 10, 2021, 08:54:56 pm »
For me the first and foremost is for the shop to be able to supply the parts I chose not to force me into whatever their supplier is selling, what they typically use or OEM parts just because it's easier to source. I'm keen that way because I like to use parts from OE suppliers (exact same part) but at a fraction of the OEM cost. I do my own research to find the parts and shop around to see where I can find those specific parts and at what price.

Second, I would expect not to pay more or much more (few bucks higher is acceptable of course) over the LOCAL RETAIL price for the same P/N (e.g. Germanparts.ca, shop.bmw.ca). If the shop can source the exact part at lower price from their supplier (I hope so and assume they do) by all means, I would not object them sourcing the part and sell it to me at RETAIL - I would not expect any additional discount on the parts. For me, Germanparts.ca is kind of the benchmark when it comes to German cars parts sourced locally. If they have the part in stock, I pick it up the next business day so delivery is fast.

Now, if the gap between the LOCAL RETAIL prices and Rockauto for the same P/N is significant - in hundreds of dollars (like it was for the A/C compressor for the BMW), I would like to have the flexibility to bring in my own part. Yes, I fully understand the warranty risk is on me, I may not benefit from labor rate discount and that's absolutely fine by me and totally fair. What I would expect though is not to be gouged on inflated repair time to make up for the eventual profit loss on the parts. I would not find this fair. It takes the same time to install the shop part or my part. The part is in the trunk by the time I drop off the car so no waiting time at all.

I typically have a before hand understanding of what's involved in a repair and how long would it take roughly (I do my homework ahead of time). Of course, there are odd cases, especially when dealing with rusted suspension bits on old cars, when a repair can take longer due to seized bolts and such. I know that first hand (did 4 brake jobs this summer on 8+ years old cars) and I can fully accept more labor time in those particular cases. Under the hood not so much as the likelihood of rusted bolts or complications is much lower in general (on my cars anyway).

BTW: Just replaced the left washer nozzle on the BMW yesterday with a Vemo part (OE manufacturer). Side by side, absolutely identical with the OEM one down to the color of the rubber gasket (green). Vemo part $62 from Rockauto, OEM part $125. Few days ago I replace the stop/start button with a WVE part (OE manufacturer) and same story - this one even had the OEM logo stamped on it. $95 at Rockauto, $145 OEM.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 08:56:31 pm by carcrazy »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: October 11, 2021, 08:09:25 am »
My buddy who works at a parts store gives me his prices when I need something.  Still more expensive than RockAuto but if I have to return something, it doesn't cost me the part 2X over.  The driveshaft for the Fusion was $1000+ but I got about 25% off.  IIRC.  Funny thing is he won't buy parts there, he gets his from RockAUto because they're cheaper.  Same piece highest price on RA is just under $500.  If exchange 18 months ago was 35%, plus shipping plus taxes at the border...it would've probably been within a hundred bucks.  I chose to buy local then. 

The one time I did have a return to RA the return shipping was more than the parts cost new to get shipped - so  :P  YMMV.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: October 11, 2021, 11:31:29 am »
For expensive parts and repairs definitely I would want the shop to source the parts and warranty the parts and labor but I would still like to have the option to select the parts used. It's not a big deal for shops specialized in German cars as I'm sure they all have suppliers for typical German aftermarket parts.

For instance, for my upcoming job on the BMW - alternator and PS pullies replacement, I already established that local is the way to go for the parts and they are commonly available at various Canadian online retailers at similar prices. I have no doubt the shop can source them and sell them to me at online retail price and still make a penny for themselves. It a no brainer, win-win situation.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15344 on: October 11, 2021, 08:21:58 pm »
I have no doubt the shop can source them and sell them to me at online retail price and still make a penny for themselves. It a no brainer, win-win situation.

Yeah, sourcing isn't ever a problem, and matching the online retail price isn't either. Just keep in mind that it's absolutely NOT allowing the majority of shops to "make a penny for themselves". The "online retail price" from the typical German parts suppliers, which is substantially less than what the dealer/OEM MSRP is, is typically what our cost is. Sometimes it isn't, but the majority of the time it is that low low price.

So to match it for a friend is something I'm happy to do, but by no means should the customer have the "wink wink nudge nudge" attitude that they're still allowing us to make a couple bucks. Just something to keep in mind in the interest of being fully candid.  ;)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15345 on: October 12, 2021, 07:50:30 am »
Did the final detail on the exterior of my GLI.  Wash, clay bar, then wax.  It really does a number on my back but some pain killers and beer help with that.  So night to be done with that for another season and will be getting the winter tires put on at the end of the month. 

So on my way into work this morning I heard an interesting ad, basically a local shop is offering conversion from gasoline to propane for vehicles.  I'm assuming their main target are fleets but they also said personal vehicles.  They are stating huge savings in the cost of fuel, with propane being around 60 cents per liter and gasoline being $1.40.  They also state that it's better for the environment.  Makes me wonder how changing to propane would affect power, fuel economy, and longevity of the engine.  I'd assume it'd become that much more of a pain in the butt in filling up your vehicle too.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15346 on: October 12, 2021, 08:21:01 am »
For expensive parts and repairs definitely I would want the shop to source the parts and warranty the parts and labor but I would still like to have the option to select the parts used. It's not a big deal for shops specialized in German cars as I'm sure they all have suppliers for typical German aftermarket parts.

For instance, for my upcoming job on the BMW - alternator and PS pullies replacement, I already established that local is the way to go for the parts and they are commonly available at various Canadian online retailers at similar prices. I have no doubt the shop can source them and sell them to me at online retail price and still make a penny for themselves. It a no brainer, win-win situation.

Local shops may price match because they feel like they have no choice, given everyone showing them their phones these days. But just bear in mind that online stores have lower overheads, that's why they can charge less.

I agree that it's common sense to buy a part yourself if the shop is charging 'significantly' more, BUT, buying parts online from the US or Amazon and then taking them to your local indie shop just to do the labour is basically taking money (and jobs) out of the local community. Shops aren't a charity and shouldn't be given business just for the sake of it, but their business model is based on being able to sell parts and labour.

Personally I'm happy to pay a little more so that my neighbours can have a good living. It benefits everyone.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15347 on: October 12, 2021, 12:55:57 pm »

Local shops may price match because they feel like they have no choice, given everyone showing them their phones these days. But just bear in mind that online stores have lower overheads, that's why they can charge less.

I agree that it's common sense to buy a part yourself if the shop is charging 'significantly' more, BUT, buying parts online from the US or Amazon and then taking them to your local indie shop just to do the labour is basically taking money (and jobs) out of the local community. Shops aren't a charity and shouldn't be given business just for the sake of it, but their business model is based on being able to sell parts and labour.

Personally I'm happy to pay a little more so that my neighbours can have a good living. It benefits everyone.

I have ZERO issues paying a little more (I find 10-15% totally acceptable for instance and even more if we are talking dollars and tens of dollars not hundreds) over LOCAL online prices (germanparts.ca for example is a local business as well -their store is 15 min away from my place) just to have the shop source the parts for me. ZERO issues with that whatsoever.

I too want the shop to make money and stay in business to service my car long term. For me a good long term relationship and quality work is more important than saving few bucks. I would not even expect them to price-match if they lose money on the part by doing so. They are not a charity indeed and I don't need charity either.

However, if we are talking about HUNDREDs of dollars gap or simple to double price difference on a part, I would like to have the option in those exceptional cases, to bring my own parts and would not have an issue paying a higher labor rate because of that and taking the warranty risk.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15348 on: October 12, 2021, 10:50:19 pm »

I have ZERO issues paying a little more (I find 10-15% totally acceptable for instance and even more if we are talking dollars and tens of dollars not hundreds) over LOCAL online prices (germanparts.ca for example is a local business as well -their store is 15 min away from my place) just to have the shop source the parts for me. ZERO issues with that whatsoever.

I too want the shop to make money and stay in business to service my car long term. For me a good long term relationship and quality work is more important than saving few bucks. I would not even expect them to price-match if they lose money on the part by doing so. They are not a charity indeed and I don't need charity either.

However, if we are talking about HUNDREDs of dollars gap or simple to double price difference on a part, I would like to have the option in those exceptional cases, to bring my own parts and would not have an issue paying a higher labor rate because of that and taking the warranty risk.

Zero disagreement here, my friend :)

On another note, parked the Vantage today for the season, after a great track day yesterday. Cooked the brake pads and likely the PS4S tires too...  :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15349 on: October 13, 2021, 05:08:22 pm »
Bought a King bed frame from Wayfair.  It sucked - parts were missing and the ones present were ill-fitting.  What sucked worse was having to repackage it and haul it to FedEx for a return.  If we didn't have the Fit, I'm not sure how we would have pulled it off.  This little car is facking amazing.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #15350 on: October 13, 2021, 05:16:05 pm »
^ not sure what the bigger packaging feat is, the amount of space in such a small car, or the fact that you got all the bed pieces back in the box!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15351 on: October 13, 2021, 05:29:17 pm »
I see your Fit, and I raise you a Golf Wagon with a full size sofa in the back!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15352 on: October 13, 2021, 05:40:05 pm »
Bought a King bed frame from Wayfair.  It sucked - parts were missing and the ones present were ill-fitting.  What sucked worse was having to repackage it and haul it to FedEx for a return.  If we didn't have the Fit, I'm not sure how we would have pulled it off.  This little car is facking amazing.

We're done with Wayfair for that reason.  Last couple of things we ordered from there had parts missing.  The mounting plate for one light fixture was sent more than 6 months after we received the fixture.   ::)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #15353 on: October 13, 2021, 05:49:20 pm »
^ not sure what the bigger packaging feat is, the amount of space in such a small car, or the fact that you got all the bed pieces back in the box!

Packing the bed of course…that is mighty impressive!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15354 on: October 13, 2021, 07:31:31 pm »

If this Golf's a rockin don't come a knockin  ;D

Didn't fit in the Tundra?  ;)

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15355 on: October 13, 2021, 07:32:30 pm »

Definitely the bed - what a PITA that was!

Pffft - a wagon SHOULD haul a sofa.  :rofl2:

We're done with Wayfair for that reason.  Last couple of things we ordered from there had parts missing.  The mounting plate for one light fixture was sent more than 6 months after we received the fixture.   ::)

Yeah, that's our last time playing this game as well.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15356 on: October 13, 2021, 07:37:00 pm »

Didn't fit in the Tundra?  ;)

This was a few years before I got the Tundra.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15357 on: October 20, 2021, 11:05:41 am »

Bought a Toyota 20R engine plus gearbox. New Weber carb and header.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15358 on: October 24, 2021, 05:26:19 pm »
Replaced the front passenger grab handle on the BMW. They have a history of literally melting over time. Mine wasn't as gross as some of the ones I've seen on YouTube but still showing the issue so I replaced it anyway.

I'm a noob taking interior trim apart but managed to do the job without damaging anything. Panels are a biatch to remove as they are very tight. Took some time and patience but did it.
I don't know how other manufacturers are doing it, but BMW secures the parts on the door panel with melted rivets from the factory (save cost and weight ?!). Replacement is a PITA as it uses screws but need to trim the plastic studs which otherwise would be melted.

Anyway, job done and interior is now fully reconditioned to "like new" condition. The steering wheel is the only piece remaining that gives away the age of the car but will take care of that as well at some point.

Next up is to convert all interior lights to LED (Philips bulbs on their way from Rockauto) and to replace a section of the trunk wiring harness. I realized the crimper I thought I have is not suited for the job so ordered a proper one from Amazon.

OEM floor liners (rebranded WeatherTech) are on their way from the US (FCP Euro) as I couldn't find any locally.

Brand new X-Ice Snow on used 16" OEM wheels cleaned and ready to go on the car next weekend I think.

Enjoying my little project car so far, especially driving it... :skid:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:30:29 pm by carcrazy »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15359 on: October 24, 2021, 05:52:24 pm »
Cleaned it out one last time  :'(

Still have my Fast which gets used as a door stopper.