Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006631 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15300 on: October 07, 2021, 10:33:39 am »
In for an oil change, getting Krowned next week.

Save your money. We use thicker stuff than Krown that lasts longer and doesn't drip, specially made for this climate. Come see me.  ;)

Doesn't Krown and RC offer a thicker product that is not supposed to drip, and does it actually work?  I was thinking about having that applied to my vehicles but heard from a couple of friends that it still drips and is not worth the extra money.  Both my vehicles are booked for a RC spray next week and I'm still pondering whether, or not to use the thicker compound.   :-\

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #15301 on: October 07, 2021, 10:43:29 am »
Yes, details on this thicker rust proofing stuff please. Need to get our MDX done.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15302 on: October 07, 2021, 10:47:32 am »
I am getting the thinner stuff on the underside of my Jag - just the steel bits like the subframes etc. Rest is alu.

Gonna be a fight with the shop though, as I will be THAT customer who has a bunch of demands: underside only, no door seals, no drilling. Do not wash afterwards except the mandated windshield, and hand wash only no brush. IF you cannot do that I will wash the windshield myself give me a mit and a clean bucket. IF you cant do that, I am leaving.

They screwed up last time.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15303 on: October 07, 2021, 10:49:15 am »
What are you chaps going to coat the underside of your cars with when oil is kicked to the dustbin?  ;D Sounds like a fall ritual out east? Out Calgary way the use of salt and whatever that liquid crap they use that keeps the roads "wet" at -15 has increased but there has been no noticeable increase in vehicles rusting. Either manufacturers improvements (excl. MAZDA) have kept pace or the real culprit in oxidation is humidity.

We do pay for the lack of rusting with regular windshield replacements however...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15304 on: October 07, 2021, 10:52:08 am »
RC is thicker than Krown, which is why I switched. RC actually uses two different formulas, they use a thicker one for underbody areas and a thinner one (red color) for inner panels. The theory is that you want the thinner one in the panels where it can creep into the seems, and the thicker one for the underbody where it needs to resist the elements more without washing away.
The theory makes sense to me, which is why I've been using them. RC does drip...mostly the thinner inner panel stuff gets warms and runs out onto the ground. I park on the street for a day or so to let the worst run out. Then I put cardboard, or plastic or whatever is around on the driveway and park on that for a week or so. After that, it's usually fine.....It'll drip once and awhile afterwards, especially if the weather gets hot, but w/e. I care about my cars more than my driveway, and in the case of my asphalt driveway, a quick re-coat of sealer every couple of years tidies it up.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15305 on: October 07, 2021, 11:24:33 am »
The little airholes in the welds is usually where rust begins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15306 on: October 07, 2021, 11:31:27 am »
RC is thicker than Krown, which is why I switched. RC actually uses two different formulas, they use a thicker one for underbody areas and a thinner one (red color) for inner panels. The theory is that you want the thinner one in the panels where it can creep into the seems, and the thicker one for the underbody where it needs to resist the elements more without washing away.
The theory makes sense to me, which is why I've been using them. RC does drip...mostly the thinner inner panel stuff gets warms and runs out onto the ground. I park on the street for a day or so to let the worst run out. Then I put cardboard, or plastic or whatever is around on the driveway and park on that for a week or so. After that, it's usually fine.....It'll drip once and awhile afterwards, especially if the weather gets hot, but w/e. I care about my cars more than my driveway, and in the case of my asphalt driveway, a quick re-coat of sealer every couple of years tidies it up.

Makes sense to me. I ended up using Castrol chainsaw grease mostly on my old Mazda pickup. Cheap, sticky, aerosol can, avail at CT

If it will keep an old Mazda from rusting that says a lot. Didn't drip anywhere, kept things greasy for around a year. Not the prettiest stuff, but under the vehicle or inside body panels, who cares?

The one thing is it would not creep much, so I'd spray something lighter initially then this on top

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15307 on: October 07, 2021, 12:49:23 pm »
In for an oil change, getting Krowned next week.

Save your money. We use thicker stuff than Krown that lasts longer and doesn't drip, specially made for this climate. Come see me.  ;)

What is the brand ? You want it to drip so that you know it is going to get into all the hard to reach areas.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15308 on: October 07, 2021, 01:18:17 pm »
Gonna be a fight with the shop though, as I will be THAT customer who has a bunch of demands: underside only, no door seals, no drilling.

Last time I was at the Krown on Catherine St. they had a rate for just spraying the underside.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15309 on: October 07, 2021, 04:08:43 pm »
Gonna be a fight with the shop though, as I will be THAT customer who has a bunch of demands: underside only, no door seals, no drilling.

Last time I was at the Krown on Catherine St. they had a rate for just spraying the underside.
that is good

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15310 on: October 07, 2021, 11:14:00 pm »
Yes, details on this thicker rust proofing stuff please. Need to get our MDX done.

Apologies for the delay, gents. The name of the stuff escapes me, but one of our techs is an absolute nut job who's more OCD about his own cars than Firm is (in the best way possible). He was begging and pleading with the previous owner to start doing this in previous years and it never got done, so I figured let's try it.

We've already had 20-ish cars done so let's see how it goes. I'll get the name for y'all tomorrow!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15311 on: October 08, 2021, 09:32:07 am »

Same approach/products here.

I had the BMW spayed while at TheHire's shop and then some more at home. Took the wheels off and sprayed some more RC green (thicker stuff) on the suspension bits and hard to reach places towards the center of the car. Then loosened up the wheel arch liners, washed, dried and liberally sprayed the RC red stuff inside the fenders and bottom of the doors through the drain openings. The RC red stuff is very liquid. I sprayed in the front and it ran all the way to the back along the rocker panel. Same thing when I sprayed in the rear it ran all the way to the front.

Still need to do the trunk lid and the hood with the RC red stuff this weekend after I degrease and wash.

I use a third type - can't remember the name but it's a black can from CT (something with Formula 3000 on it) on the surface. This stuff does not drip and only forms a greasy film which sticks on the paint. I will use this on the rear wheel lip, bottom of the doors, some crannies on the inner part of the hood....

I used this stuff for the past few years on the Outlander and it was pretty effective in slowing down the rust progress in few spots where it started to bubble (bottom of the doors, rear fender where it meets the bumper). I spray this stuff locally, on the painted surface/bubbled area and it sticks there. It gets dirty by spring but in wipes out easily and I re-apply in the fall.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15312 on: October 08, 2021, 10:00:12 am »
What does RC stand for?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15313 on: October 08, 2021, 10:02:10 am »
What does RC stand for?
Rust Check, I see that you can now buy the liquid stuff in bulk at Princess Auto, only $50 for a big jug that would likely be enough to do a couple of cars with a spray bottle or if you have a spray gun for your air compressor. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15314 on: October 08, 2021, 10:27:29 am »

I had the BMW spayed while at TheHire's shop and then some more at home. Took the wheels off and sprayed some more RC green (thicker stuff) on the suspension bits and hard to reach places towards the center of the car. Then loosened up the wheel arch liners, washed, dried and liberally sprayed the RC red stuff inside the fenders and bottom of the doors through the drain openings. The RC red stuff is very liquid. I sprayed in the front and it ran all the way to the back along the rocker panel. Same thing when I sprayed in the rear it ran all the way to the front.

Still need to do the trunk lid and the hood with the RC red stuff this weekend after I degrease and wash.

I use a third type - can't remember the name but it's a black can from CT (something with Formula 3000 on it) on the surface. This stuff does not drip and only forms a greasy film which sticks on the paint. I will use this on the rear wheel lip, bottom of the doors, some crannies on the inner part of the hood....

I used this stuff for the past few years on the Outlander and it was pretty effective in slowing down the rust progress in few spots where it started to bubble (bottom of the doors, rear fender where it meets the bumper). I spray this stuff locally, on the painted surface/bubbled area and it sticks there. It gets dirty by spring but in wipes out easily and I re-apply in the fall.

Why would you pay to have it sprayed, and then do significantly more at home?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15315 on: October 08, 2021, 10:39:12 am »
'Cause he's carcrazy man!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15316 on: October 08, 2021, 10:39:58 am »
Picked it up from the body shop.  Looks like they sprayed some sort of coating on the corners before painting it.  Has that rubbery look - kinda like orange peel but it's not orange peel.

Also had them do the inner lip of the rear wheel openings, figured I'd spray some box liner on it at home later, and they did that too, and painted over it instead (some kind of paint-able "liner" stuff) - so hopefully that'll be good for a while too.  Wasn't rusting yet, but better safe I figured.

Should've had them do the front fenders too...duh.  Cheaper than a new truck that's for sure.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15317 on: October 08, 2021, 11:08:31 am »

Why would you pay to have it sprayed, and then do significantly more at home?

#1 - I spot-sprayed where the shop did not or could not reach (complement not re-do). I believe they stay away from the wheels in order not to spray on the brakes. They also spray from under the car so the top of the suspension bits does not get sprayed. They don't spray the suspension tower or the spring seats either... things like that. When you take the wheel off and spray from the can with the little nozzle you have more reach and precision. They don't brush off surface rust on suspension ends either before spraying.... Things like that.
#2 - Shop did not spray inner panels. My request was undercarriage only and this is what they did and I paid for.
#3 - I did open up the wheel arch liners to clean and assess condition of the sheet metal everywhere I could anyway to look for rust (it's a new to me 10+ years old used car) so I sprayed at the same time so no big deal

I did not spray over what they sprayed... I guess you get my drift here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:19:13 am by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15318 on: October 08, 2021, 11:21:43 am »

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #15319 on: October 08, 2021, 12:42:41 pm »
Picked it up from the body shop.  Looks like they sprayed some sort of coating on the corners before painting it.  Has that rubbery look - kinda like orange peel but it's not orange peel.

Also had them do the inner lip of the rear wheel openings, figured I'd spray some box liner on it at home later, and they did that too, and painted over it instead (some kind of paint-able "liner" stuff) - so hopefully that'll be good for a while too.  Wasn't rusting yet, but better safe I figured.

Should've had them do the front fenders too...duh.  Cheaper than a new truck that's for sure.

Looks functional. I like it.

Mind if I ask how much it cost? And are you/they pretty confident this will last more than a few years without the rust coming back?