Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008111 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14860 on: July 05, 2021, 04:39:31 pm »
Nice, great cars!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14861 on: July 05, 2021, 10:48:24 pm »
cleaned bimmer's carpeted floor mats.  haven't used it in forever since i got rubber floor mats for it long time ago, they are actually not that dirty, but thought i might as well, since i have bought some carpet cleaners while ago.

left on the pic is "Zep" brand carpet cleaner, supposedly some enzyme or whatever.  on the right is "Resolve" brand foaming spray can.

both cleaned well, but Zep left the mat noticeably more wet, and i have to dab it with towel or something after.

Resolve worked well, foam kinda soaks up the dirt after scrubbing with brush, and wasn't terribly wet after, and left the carpet more clean looking to my eye.  but smells horrendous.  had to open the garage door to ventilate. 

also, noticed one of the front suspension brace's bolt was missing while i was inspecting the bimmer's undercarriage(you know, since i rinsed it down earlier today, making sure it's properly dry)  i don't know what the fxk happened there.   driven it 3 times in 2 years.  good thing i bought spares long time ago.  put it on, and re-tightned all the bolts so it doesn't happens again.  some were loose.    ???

looking thru my spare parts bin for the bimmer, i found 2 brand new oil filters, 1 new engine air filter, new coolant reservoir, spare nuts and bolts, body clips, new HID bulbs, etc. put me in weird mood.

if i had driven it more, i probably would have used them or put them on..  but in the last few years, i've only driven less than 200km. 

i've been thinking about this long time, but i think it's time to sell the bimmer for real this time.   :(

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14862 on: July 05, 2021, 11:05:07 pm »

cleaned bimmer's carpeted floor mats.  haven't used it in forever since i got rubber floor mats for it long time ago, they are actually not that dirty, but thought i might as well, since i have bought some carpet cleaners while ago.

left on the pic is "Zep" brand carpet cleaner, supposedly some enzyme or whatever.  on the right is "Resolve" brand foaming spray can.

both cleaned well, but Zep left the mat noticeably more wet, and i have to dab it with towel or something after.

Resolve worked well, foam kinda soaks up the dirt after scrubbing with brush, and wasn't terribly wet after, and left the carpet more clean looking to my eye.  but smells horrendous.  had to open the garage door to ventilate. 

also, noticed one of the front suspension brace's bolt was missing while i was inspecting the bimmer's undercarriage(you know, since i rinsed it down earlier today, making sure it's properly dry)  i don't know what the fxk happened there.   driven it 3 times in 2 years.  good thing i bought spares long time ago.  put it on, and re-tightned all the bolts so it doesn't happens again.  some were loose.    ???

looking thru my spare parts bin for the bimmer, i found 2 brand new oil filters, 1 new engine air filter, new coolant reservoir, spare nuts and bolts, body clips, new HID bulbs, etc. put me in weird mood.

if i had driven it more, i probably would have used them or put them on..  but in the last few years, i've only driven less than 200km. 

i've been thinking about this long time, but i think it's time to sell the bimmer for real this time.   :(

Really? Time to sell? Hoping you give us forum members first dibs? I'd be interested in hearing what you're thinking. Please DM me.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #14863 on: July 05, 2021, 11:14:04 pm »

Yea, if you're not using it....GO FOR IT!

Replace it with something you'll use...whatever that may be.

Also...for carpets or whatever, I have a gallon of "APC" (all purpose cleaner) on hand..always.  Can dilute for delicates (interior) or use full strength for degreasing engines.  Really is great stuff to have on hand.

I use DP APC  https://www.autogeek.net/dp-apc-plus-128.html 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:17:38 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14864 on: July 06, 2021, 08:10:43 am »

Really? Time to sell? Hoping you give us forum members first dibs? I'd be interested in hearing what you're thinking. Please DM me.

Man, you've been lusting after some of the forum's Bimmers for a while, haven't you?  what's this one, a 1-Series?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14865 on: July 06, 2021, 08:47:12 am »
 If I'm not mistaken it is a 3 series M.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: July 06, 2021, 11:04:21 am »
If I'm not mistaken it is a 3 series M.

Yup, E46 M3...  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: July 06, 2021, 11:16:20 am »
^^^Well :censor:, that isn't desirable at all....  ;D  Should go for cheap. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: July 06, 2021, 11:36:06 am »
^^^Well :censor:, that isn't desirable at all....  ;D  Should go for cheap.

Exactly...  :D

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #14869 on: July 06, 2021, 01:45:07 pm »
Thrashed it and washed it last week.

HPDE was pretty fun and I learned some valuable track skills there. A couple of days after I went to an open lapping day. While it was fun to drive and see some cool cars, I gotta say, I am starting to prefer half-day track days which don't hurt my wallet as much, and puts less wear on the car and my mind. My tires also realistically only allowed 4 good sessions before they start to get too hot, so one more useful session that a half-day event for double the money. Not sure about that.

Spent some time to clean it up afterwards, and the crazy brake dust have already started to build up again. Such is the life with high performance semi-metallic pads.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14870 on: July 06, 2021, 01:52:14 pm »

:fiver:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: July 06, 2021, 02:15:43 pm »
That is AWESOME.  Nice to see a 1LE get regular track use. 

Cool Supra behind you, too.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: July 06, 2021, 02:24:20 pm »

HPDE was pretty fun and I learned some valuable track skills there. A couple of days after I went to an open lapping day. While it was fun to drive and see some cool cars, I gotta say, I am starting to prefer half-day track days which don't hurt my wallet as much, and puts less wear on the car and my mind. My tires also realistically only allowed 4 good sessions before they start to get too hot, so one more useful session that a half-day event for double the money. Not sure about that.

How long are the sessions you're doing? Assuming you're checking the tire pressures after each session and dropping the pressures?

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #14873 on: July 06, 2021, 03:23:44 pm »

And you are not gonna acknowledge that ZL1? Come on!

Well, to be fair, it was cut off partially. Here is a better pic of it.

How long are the sessions you're doing? Assuming you're checking the tire pressures after each session and dropping the pressures?

5 20-minute sessions, with a paid lunch in between the first 2 and last 3 sessions.

I track at VIMC and that is a very technical track. I am trying to apply my knowledge learned from HPDE there so there is a lot going on.

I check my tire pressure, yeah. It was stabilizing at the end and I am pretty sure they are just overheating a bit. I haven't pulled the video out of the PDR yet. I have recently learned that it can record things like oil temp, water temp and tire temperature as well so I will take a look.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: July 06, 2021, 03:26:41 pm »

And you are not gonna acknowledge that ZL1? Come on!

Well, to be fair, it was cut off partially. Here is a better pic of it.

I couldn't tell what it was, other than another Camaro 1LE.  Could have been a V6 or a 2.0T 1LE for all I knew. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14875 on: July 06, 2021, 09:43:29 pm »
Not nearly as exciting as JinX, but I did my annual oil change in the XKR and then washed and waxed the Escalade after Monday's road trip to Grand Bend.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: July 06, 2021, 11:09:01 pm »

5 20-minute sessions, with a paid lunch in between the first 2 and last 3 sessions.

I track at VIMC and that is a very technical track. I am trying to apply my knowledge learned from HPDE there so there is a lot going on.

I check my tire pressure, yeah. It was stabilizing at the end and I am pretty sure they are just overheating a bit. I haven't pulled the video out of the PDR yet. I have recently learned that it can record things like oil temp, water temp and tire temperature as well so I will take a look.

What tires are they again? Michelin PS 4S? Ideally from what I've read you want them around 34 - 36psi at the end of a session. Lots of good reading out there in regards to that. I found when I was lapping with my SLK a few weeks back by the end of the 3rd session my tires were starting to get a bit squirmy & I was religiously checking the pressure after each session. After the 1st they were all pushing close to 40psi so I backed them down to about 34, then after the 2nd they were up around 38, so I dropped them again. But I think I could've been more aggressive with it. Though they were getting good & sticky as they were picking up rubber from the track quite well.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: July 07, 2021, 08:11:05 am »
 Yesterday shined up my buddies Tacoma. It should look good for about 10 minutes. ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14878 on: July 09, 2021, 06:47:10 pm »
not my car, but my brother called me the other day, telling me his front brake is smoking....
i went and took a look, test drove it around, front passenger side was smoking by the end of short drive.

figured it was stuck/seized caliper.   rear pads were pretty much gone too, and valve cover gasket is leaking like sieve..

had him buy 2 front calipers, new front and rear brake pads,

and switched them out yesterday.   holy heck, bleeding the brakes after changing pads, rears were pushing out some nasty rusty fluids.   :o

after bedding in the new stuff, it seems to work well.

man, i haven't driven it after he got it 10 years ago, (2006 honda civic ex coupe manual, with now 240k) the manual gear box is still a gem.   

hilariously low on power though... too used to 300+ hp now.  ;D

very cool!!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 09:37:38 pm by aquadorhj »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: July 09, 2021, 08:56:54 pm »
^^ Are you sure it's a 2016 ?  ;)