Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009785 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #14000 on: January 18, 2021, 02:47:10 pm »
Not for me! Got the guarantee from the GM that us service advisors will not be laid off. We are driving too much good business, even in a pandemic. Also, just landed 2 research contracts with the CWM for evening / weekend work. Things are looking OK work wise at the moment.

Good. But that guarantee doesn't mean :censor:.
It does if I get it in writing, which I will. Anyways, this opportunity will not present itself again anytime soon. I jumped at the Alfa when that opportunity arose, despite it not being a good time to get a second summer-only car. I do not regret one second of owning that car. Same with this Jag - it may not be the best time, but if I pass now...I may not get another chance.

I'd be shocked if you got that in writing Chaos.  When you say you may not get another chance... is this Jag that rare?  Either way, good luck with the purchase and I'll look forward to hearing about the car if the purchase goes through.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14001 on: January 18, 2021, 02:57:05 pm »
Not for me! Got the guarantee from the GM that us service advisors will not be laid off. We are driving too much good business, even in a pandemic. Also, just landed 2 research contracts with the CWM for evening / weekend work. Things are looking OK work wise at the moment.

It does if I get it in writing, which I will. Anyways, this opportunity will not present itself again anytime soon. I jumped at the Alfa when that opportunity arose, despite it not being a good time to get a second summer-only car. I do not regret one second of owning that car. Same with this Jag - it may not be the best time, but if I pass now...I may not get another chance.

I'd be shocked if you got that in writing Chaos.  When you say you may not get another chance... is this Jag that rare?  Either way, good luck with the purchase and I'll look forward to hearing about the car if the purchase goes through.

He's only posted about 3-4 of them in the last couple months, so I'd hazard a guess that they're not really all that rare at all. 

Anyway, if it's the car you want, then best of luck to you.  I do agree it's a beautiful vehicle.  That interior looks like a special place to sit. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14002 on: January 18, 2021, 03:01:50 pm »
Yeah, it's probably a dumb idea (see the 'limit' thread), but it's a sweet god damn car, so I'll focus on appreciating that. Should be the same SC 5.0L as my XKR, so it's going to be fast as hell and sound pretty good too...A lot of the interior switch gear looks the same/similar too. I like the black interior with tan contrast stitching, especially in the big sedan like this.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14003 on: January 18, 2021, 03:40:36 pm »
I really hope the best for you and getting this car.

This isn't the personal finance thread, but yeah, no... as an employer, it would be asinine to give an employee in writing that there would be zero chance of laying him/her off. It would be a shot in my own foot to do that. I would be very surprised if you got that, but if you do, good on you.

Does you getting this Jag hinge on the Lexus selling for a certain price?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14004 on: January 18, 2021, 03:44:12 pm »
Not for me! Got the guarantee from the GM that us service advisors will not be laid off.

It does if I get it in writing, which I will.

I'd be shocked if you got that in writing Chaos. 

Chaos, come on, you're an academic, you should know better.

I'll let someone else explain it to you...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14005 on: January 18, 2021, 05:20:54 pm »
Not for me! Got the guarantee from the GM that us service advisors will not be laid off.

Maybe that is the problem  :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14006 on: January 18, 2021, 07:31:57 pm »

GM said he will send an email this week. Had a talk today with him, we are keeping business coming in, so us advisors are staying on staff. I am content with that, he is a man of his word.

Lexus sells for close to what I want, or even $10k, I can be more than happy with the payments on the remainder. All arranged.

Yeah it is a sweet car, and yes they are rare. One I posted was a 2019 575, that matte grey one. Crazy money on that, different league. That was the owners old demo. One was a 2014 from Manitoba. It is back there now. One I posted before, the car I am trying to buy. I therefore only know of maybe 2 or 3 in the city. So yes, I probably will not get the opportunity it to buy a known and trusted XJR like this again. Only 2 techs have worked on it, the owner followed our ops manager from one shop to another and always uses one of two senior techs. So the car is known since new.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14007 on: January 18, 2021, 07:50:31 pm »

GM said he will send an email this week. Had a talk today with him, we are keeping business coming in, so us advisors are staying on staff. I am content with that, he is a man of his word.

Lexus sells for close to what I want, or even $10k, I can be more than happy with the payments on the remainder. All arranged.

Yeah it is a sweet car, and yes they are rare. One I posted was a 2019 575, that matte grey one. Crazy money on that, different league. That was the owners old demo. One was a 2014 from Manitoba. It is back there now. One I posted before, the car I am trying to buy. I therefore only know of maybe 2 or 3 in the city. So yes, I probably will not get the opportunity it to buy a known and trusted XJR like this again. Only 2 techs have worked on it, the owner followed our ops manager from one shop to another and always uses one of two senior techs. So the car is known since new.
If you find a private buyer, what if you put the Lexus thru the dealer as a courtesy trade? Might save you $1300 in taxes on the Jag.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14008 on: January 18, 2021, 07:56:43 pm »
Only 2 techs have worked on it, the owner followed our ops manager from one shop to another and always uses one of two senior techs. So the car is known since new.

Au contraire, us plebs get some yobber with a monkey wrench  :rofl2:

P.S. Hope everything goes smoothly and to see ya soon in Show 'n shine.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: January 18, 2021, 08:14:59 pm »
Sweet Jag. Looking forward to the Moan'nWhine thread.  ;D

I booked my car in for the oil filter gasket replacement for next week.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:16:34 pm by 1FGC »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14010 on: January 19, 2021, 08:30:37 am »

If you find a private buyer, what if you put the Lexus thru the dealer as a courtesy trade? Might save you $1300 in taxes on the Jag.

That is an excellent idea. Have one guy who is offering in the range of $12k depending on a test drive. I might take it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14011 on: January 19, 2021, 08:40:53 am »

That is an excellent idea. Have one guy who is offering in the range of $12k depending on a test drive. I might take it.
I think $12K would be a great amount for your Lexus, especially when you consider you paid quite a bit less than that.  Hope it works out for you.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #14012 on: January 19, 2021, 08:52:23 am »

So that would be around $13.5k with the trade & tax savings... pretty freaking good I'd say!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14013 on: January 19, 2021, 08:59:49 am »

So that would be around $13.5k with the trade & tax savings... pretty freaking good I'd say!
I think so too. I find out today if I am "allowed" to buy the car.

I still think the owner will try and screw me and offer it on auction, and try and sell it to me for slightly more than that. This is despite me offering to sign a non compete, where I cannot flip the car for a year etc. He got burned many times by bad employees. If the deal falls through because of that...I will be very, very pissed.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14014 on: January 19, 2021, 11:43:36 am »
If you are being offered $12,000 for that IS you should take it and run as fast and far as you can. Come on down here for gosh's sakes... beers are cold.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14015 on: January 19, 2021, 11:51:44 am »
Yeah, that seems like $6k more than I'd think it's worth.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: January 19, 2021, 02:10:19 pm »
The Jag may be a done deal.  :o

Lexus as a trade / private sale still up in the air, getting appraised tomorrow. TradeRev will be very unkind I think.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: January 19, 2021, 02:27:30 pm »

Lexus as a trade / private sale still up in the air, getting appraised tomorrow. TradeRev will be very unkind I think.

Congratulations?  Obviously you're not going to get what you want from the IS by trading it to the dealership.  Is the Jag pending the IS selling to the interested party?  Or you're taking the Jag no matter?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: January 19, 2021, 02:32:49 pm »

Congratulations?  Obviously you're not going to get what you want from the IS by trading it to the dealership.  Is the Jag pending the IS selling to the interested party?  Or you're taking the Jag no matter?
Independent. I got approved for the Jag finance, and can afford it, without the trade. But getting rid of the Lexus asap will be a priority so I can bring down those payments even more.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: January 19, 2021, 02:37:48 pm »
Well, looking forward to the S&S, then.