Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009682 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13860 on: December 19, 2020, 09:36:18 am »
I'm assuming it's just waiting to die at a really inconvenient time.
They're all fairly new coils, around 2yrs old. I just think when we had the valvecover gasket done, the mechanic didn't get that one back on properly because the issue started soon afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Always suspect new parts, you don't know if they ever worked.
They worked fine until the valvecover gasket was done... but I do get your point. Just hoping the issue is now solved... will see over the next little while. One week of issue free motoring with a FGC is too early to celebrate, ha, ha, ha!

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13861 on: December 19, 2020, 10:17:32 am »
I'm trying to get my truck started and it's not co-operating.   I just replaced the battery terminal and fusible links that attach to it, I had soldered the old one to temporarily make it work until I got the new part, replaced it,  but now it won't turn over.    I'm charging the battery again, it's acting weird, but not sure if I'm getting good connections with the cables and connectors.

If anyone has a Nissan that won't turn over even with a good battery, it's the fusible link part.
Mr Pickypants

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +146/-241
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: December 19, 2020, 10:44:55 am »
Watched the beloved 1995 Chev pick up get flat decked off to the junk-yard yesterday.  Buying a load of landscaping rocks, the truck literally folded in half when the loader dumped the load in the bed.  The frame was done for.  25 years and 600,000km was a good run.  Mechanical parts were almost all original, but rust and rot had really set it.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: December 19, 2020, 06:44:36 pm »
Watched the beloved 1995 Chev pick up get flat decked off to the junk-yard yesterday.  Buying a load of landscaping rocks, the truck literally folded in half when the loader dumped the load in the bed.  The frame was done for.  25 years and 600,000km was a good run.  Mechanical parts were almost all original, but rust and rot had really set it.

Did you replace it  with anything yet ? That was a good run.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13864 on: December 19, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »

Similar to the frame on my 2002 Silverado I had a few years ago, started jacking it up one day and the jack was moving, but the truck wasn't keeping up.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13865 on: December 19, 2020, 07:01:01 pm »

Similar to the frame on my 2002 Silverado I had a few years ago, started jacking it up one day and the jack was moving, but the truck wasn't keeping up.

Are there any brand/year of truck renowned for NOT rusting?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: December 19, 2020, 07:20:26 pm »
^^ Eventually all vehicles will rust. If you are looking for an older truck,i'd look at the ones that were regularly Krowned or Rust Checked.

My truck is 22 years old. I am not the original owner but over it's lifetime it has been undercoated many times. And I have kept this up since I have owned
it.  For this reason only, my truck would have rusted away long ago.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:22:30 pm by Seafoam »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13867 on: December 19, 2020, 07:32:24 pm »
I took the Frontier out today for my first real off-road run in it.  It snowed Thursday night, and the ground is frozen, so I figured it was a good time to try the new winter tires and see how it handles off-road.  I took it on a radio tower access road that I'm familiar with from work so it was a good spot for a comparison.  It has quite a few sections that the big F-150 has a hard time with and some nice steep hills to test out traction of the new tires.  There are also several heavily rutted sections that the F-150 bottoms out on every time 

The Frontier handled everything with ease and never bottomed out once.  Not surprisingly, it is so much easier to maneuver than the F-150 and visibility is so much better as well.  There is one section where the road has a sharp turn after a steep uphill climb and then goes down another steep section.  In the F-150 it is always dead reckoning going around that because you can't see the road ahead and just hope to hope you judge the turn properly because there are huge rocks on one side and a steep hill on the other.  In the Frontier the road ahead was clearly visible and allowed for a lot more confidence making the turn. 

I love driving this thing and it has turned into one of my all time favorite rides.  Had the dog with me as well and once we got to the top of the hill he went for a long off-leash walk with me on one of the atv trails that run through there.  Fun times!  8)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:50:24 pm by KD »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: December 19, 2020, 07:53:41 pm »
^^ Sounds like it was up to the task.  It has been said many times that one should purchase the larger half ton as the smaller trucks don't really have an advantage. In your case it seems the Frontier  performs better then the larger vehicle that you have compared it to.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: December 19, 2020, 08:06:27 pm »
^^ Sounds like it was up to the task.  It has been said many times that one should purchase the larger half ton as the smaller trucks don't really have an advantage. In your case it seems the Frontier  performs better then the larger vehicle that you have compared it to.

Really no comparison off road between the two and I don't need the capability of a full size truck.  More of a want than a need vehicle.  The small truck fits our lifestyle just right.   :thumbup:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: December 19, 2020, 08:50:17 pm »

Really no comparison off road between the two and I don't need the capability of a full size truck.  More of a want than a need vehicle.  The small truck fits our lifestyle just right.   :thumbup:

One of the only things  I don't like about the Frontier/Suzuki is the turning circle, the front wheels don't turn that much.  Hardly an issue though. 
MIne still won't start, will look at it in daylight

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +146/-241
    • View Profile
« Reply #13871 on: December 19, 2020, 09:23:18 pm »

Nope, had the rocks delivered.  The landscaping company guy felt sorry for me and delivered it for cheap.  Not needed for transportation so when the mood and opportunity strikes, a replacement will be found.  Was shared with family members as the "you need a truck for?" truck, so if someone else is more eager than me, it might get replaced, but doubtful as no one is moving, landscaping, whatever right now.  I bought the rocks because of off-season pricing and I'm a cheap motherfcker.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13872 on: December 20, 2020, 07:39:37 am »

Nope, had the rocks delivered.  The landscaping company guy felt sorry for me and delivered it for cheap.  Not needed for transportation so when the mood and opportunity strikes, a replacement will be found.  Was shared with family members as the "you need a truck for?" truck, so if someone else is more eager than me, it might get replaced, but doubtful as no one is moving, landscaping, whatever right now.  I bought the rocks because of off-season pricing and I'm a cheap motherfcker.

A friend of mine offered to pick up the flagstone when i was doing my patio many years ago.  He had an older F-150 that was past its prime and I'll never forget the look on his face when they loaded the palette into the truck bed.  :o It was way too heavy and the truck sagged really badly.  We both figured the suspension would give out by the time we got to my house.  It didn't but I had the next 2 palettes delivered.   ;D

One of the only things  I don't like about the Frontier/Suzuki is the turning circle, the front wheels don't turn that much.  Hardly an issue though. 
MIne still won't start, will look at it in daylight

Turning circle is horrid!   I saw a nice Equator crewcab yesterday.  There are still quite a few around these parts.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13873 on: December 20, 2020, 09:37:26 am »
A palette in a 1/2 ton are you guys crazy

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13874 on: December 20, 2020, 11:00:57 am »
A palette only weighs a few ounces. I could get hundreds of them in the GTI, no problem.  :P

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13875 on: December 20, 2020, 01:02:08 pm »
My truck started just now.  Battery is only about 2 or 3 years old, a Kirkland AGM, but it doesn't seem to like taking a charge sometimes and dies if not started every week.   Wasn't a problem until we let is sit for a couple months.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13876 on: December 20, 2020, 05:27:42 pm »
haven't started the bimmer in a while, so thought to start the engine and get the oil flowing a little bit, and might as well start the merc and record a vid.

https://youtu.be/-hee-MqezS0

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: December 20, 2020, 05:37:20 pm »
haven't started the bimmer in a while, so thought to start the engine and get the oil flowing a little bit, and might as well start the merc and record a vid.

Nice! My SLK has that same whine on start up... very familiar.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: December 20, 2020, 05:52:17 pm »

What's the whine? Almost sounds like cold power steering pump.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: December 20, 2020, 05:58:47 pm »

What's the whine? Almost sounds like cold power steering pump.
Yeah, pretty sure thats what it is, goes away pretty quickly.