Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010432 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #13600 on: November 02, 2020, 04:32:03 pm »
Got the Tiguan towed to the dealer. Wouldn't start even with a full battery. Maybe a starter motor issue.

Was it trying to turn over?   Had this with my pickup and thought the battery was pooched, turned out to be a seized alternator.

Just clicks once. Doesn't turn over.
Selenoid/relay/ground issue/ecu?

Could be darn near anything.

You checked battery voltage or try jumping it for the heck of it?

I know the battery was full, didn't have the time or the inclination to dig deeper. Called CAA and they took it. Could be a few things that the dealer probably has in stock anyway, no point me trying to figure it out.
Oh, my point was the battery can be full and seem "good", but once you put some amps to it....

But yea, given time constraints, looks like you you had to make the call.

Interested to see how it shakes out..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #13601 on: November 02, 2020, 05:27:44 pm »
Got the Tiguan towed to the dealer. Wouldn't start even with a full battery. Maybe a starter motor issue.

Was it trying to turn over?   Had this with my pickup and thought the battery was pooched, turned out to be a seized alternator.

Just went through this last week, turned out to be just a loose battery connection.

But yes, could be just about anything.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13602 on: November 02, 2020, 06:32:36 pm »

I know the battery was full, didn't have the time or the inclination to dig deeper. Called CAA and they took it. Could be a few things that the dealer probably has in stock anyway, no point me trying to figure it out.
Yeah agreed, as much as we love troubleshooting here...sometimes it is best to toss the keys and say "fix it"

Looks like starter motor. New one is ~$600 ish, doh!

Not under warranty anymore, I think it's a 2015.

I did check the battery connections after reading your issues draghon, so thanks for the heads up.

I just need it to last one more year..  :bang:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13603 on: November 02, 2020, 06:42:01 pm »

Yeah agreed, as much as we love troubleshooting here...sometimes it is best to toss the keys and say "fix it"

I did check the battery connections after reading your issues draghon, so thanks for the heads up.

I just need it to last one more year..  :bang:

We have a local place that will rebuild for $100...anything like that out your way?  Or RockAuto?

Not sure if that's an option for you or not due to time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:44:20 pm by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13604 on: November 02, 2020, 08:27:31 pm »

Highly irregular for a 2015 with even with high mileage.  The HOT wire connection from the battery to the starter solenoid is a likely point.  Failing that then the solenoid.  A click from the "starter" is almost always an issue of current input.

That's the risk of sending the vehicle to a dealer.  Tech sees a bad solenoid connection, but nobody makes any money from cleaning that and since customer will never be back (VW) so standard dealer operating procedure takes over that is to replace a part that makes good money.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:29:06 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #13605 on: November 02, 2020, 08:30:40 pm »
^^This.
It's likely your connections are dirty.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: November 02, 2020, 08:34:09 pm »
Swapped out my tires on Saturday.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13607 on: November 02, 2020, 08:49:36 pm »
I agree with the others - starter motors don't fail like they used to, especially not on a 5 year old car. That's the trade-off you make though when you 'send it to the dealer', if paying the $600 bill is worth the convenience to you, then it doesn't matter what the real cause is...you pay the money, you get your car back working.

I went out earlier and took the Escalade, just because I haven't driven it in awhile....No blower motor up front. Rear HVAC works fine, but the front blower doesn't come on regardless of setting. I recall taking the blower motor out (an easy 10 minute job) a few years ago to clear some debris from it, so maybe the motor has finally given out, or the resistor (which is actually more of an electronic control module in this case) is bad. Too cold and windy to investigate now so I'll check it out tomorrow. Luckily, both components are easy access under the passenger dash.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13608 on: November 02, 2020, 09:27:01 pm »
I agree with the others - starter motors don't fail like they used to, especially not on a 5 year old car. That's the trade-off you make though when you 'send it to the dealer', if paying the $600 bill is worth the convenience to you, then it doesn't matter what the real cause is...you pay the money, you get your car back working.

This. I don't have the time to do stuff like this myself, I pay the man, get working car back. I'm fine with that.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13609 on: November 02, 2020, 09:57:35 pm »
Took advantage of the warm weather lately to do some tinkering. Last year I'd added a rear view camera to the CRV for the wife, with a seperate monitor as she liked the stock deck. Worked good except you had to turn the display on and off every time you use it. Figured out today I could wire the display to trigger off the reverse light, not just the rear camera:

Put up some tire storage:

Changed the battery on the Vibe as the old Costco one was ten years old and getting weak finally when tested:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: November 02, 2020, 10:18:42 pm »
I like the storage idea...But I'd need a hoist to get my tires up there!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13611 on: November 02, 2020, 10:28:37 pm »

Why?!? They are supposed to stand up!  :rofl2:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13612 on: November 02, 2020, 10:58:33 pm »
Standing up it turns out they just touch the garage door as the sections go around the corner. Could have rebolted it an inch higher, or maybe putting the bars closer together would have been enough, but loading them flat worked too

No way I'd lug the 20's from the RX up there, but the 16's off the Vibe are not that heavy

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13613 on: November 02, 2020, 11:06:28 pm »
Switched Lexus to winter tires.

My rotation schedule must be working well.  Got tire gauge to measure wear and they are all exactly 8/32 across the board.  These Michelin's are hard wearing tires...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13614 on: November 03, 2020, 07:16:55 am »

Highly irregular for a 2015 with even with high mileage.  The HOT wire connection from the battery to the starter solenoid is a likely point.  Failing that then the solenoid.  A click from the "starter" is almost always an issue of current input.

That's the risk of sending the vehicle to a dealer.  Tech sees a bad solenoid connection, but nobody makes any money from cleaning that and since customer will never be back (VW) so standard dealer operating procedure takes over that is to replace a part that makes good money.

Funny, our dealer doesnt work like that. We want you to be happy with the repair, and to come back next time something goes wrong or for service...customer pay jobs are most lucrative, but we dont go replacing parts if we don't have to.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: November 03, 2020, 07:42:41 am »
...but we don't go replacing parts if we don't have to.

Welcome to Sunshine (IIRC) Toyota circa late 80's early 90's Wpg.  Knew a guy doing an internship there...service mgr would come around, not enough broken on this car, whip out a knife and cut a belt or a hose...yup, there's your problem!  Leaky belt and broken hose!  That'll be $ca-ching!!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13616 on: November 03, 2020, 08:37:57 am »

Why?!? They are supposed to stand up!  :rofl2:

Empty tires may be fine when stored flat but with the weight of the rims you're going to create dents in the sidewalls of the two lower tires. The easy fix would be to cut a sheet of plywood to provide a flat & uniform surface for the tires, but the proper fix is to reinstall so you can store your tires vertically.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #13617 on: November 03, 2020, 08:46:16 am »
I’ve stored my tires stacked four high in my shed for the last 9 years and have never noticed anything different.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13618 on: November 03, 2020, 09:10:31 am »
I’ve stored my tires stacked four high in my shed for the last 9 years and have never noticed anything different.

Same, I've heard it's not good for them, but I don't have the luxury of space to store them any differently. I've never had any issues though.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #13619 on: November 03, 2020, 09:41:37 am »

Same, I've heard it's not good for them, but I don't have the luxury of space to store them any differently. I've never had any issues though.

Same here, the ones from the Passport & JGC before it are just too big & heavy to put on a rack like that & I don't have the space anywhere to store them any other way.
You live everyday. You only die once....