Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013685 times)

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #12020 on: February 23, 2020, 07:11:16 pm »
Did an oil change on the TSX and Tercel with the middle boy.

Have you ever tried using those "taps" in place of a factory drain plug? Just curious how reliable they are...

I haven't. The oil drain plugs are both pretty easy to get to. The filter is a moderate pain on the TSX.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #12021 on: February 24, 2020, 09:53:18 am »
Oil change on the Acadia yesterday and the filter would not budge. Had to resort to pounding a screwdriver through to get it off. Next time I'm at CT or Princess Auto I will pick up an oil filter wrench.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: February 24, 2020, 04:57:36 pm »
Oh who doesn't like hindsight!

So...today it goes back to the shop...worse than it was when they brought it in last Friday AFTER the new t-case was installed (which he feels bad about now but really...what can yo do, I ok'd it...and he's seen it before where they go bad - but look at the pics, it's too stout to go bad with a measly 249 lb ft of torque)...and now when they had it up in the air idling in gear...oh, look, the rear drive shaft is hopping around.  Pull the driveshaft...sure enough, u-joint is half seized up.  So he's pulling it off to see what it drives like as a FWD...and if that's it, (thanks for the link Pjungt) looks like I'll be ordering a new driveshaft.  Can't replace the u-joint...non-servicable.  Ford: $742.  Aftermarket: $1000  ??? :o  PJungt's liink: $317 Cdn. 

Why, oh why in the fack didn't we start there??  ::) Shavings in the case  :P...fack that...it was oil and carbon lube particles...if that's even a thing.  Oh well, here's to 10 more years of Sport-ing a Fusion.  :P Gotta get my money's out of it now.

I hope to heaven they put the right gear oil in it...

Also, anyone ever deal with AutoShack on E-Bay before?  Am I setting myself up for disappointment and cheaply made Chinese knock-off parts (it's half the price after all) or is it a place that can be trusted?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:00:48 pm by BWII »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #12023 on: February 24, 2020, 05:23:39 pm »
^^^ That was one hell of an expensive shotgun diagnosis...! 

I should think your mechanic at least shouldn't charge you labour for this new fix

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: February 24, 2020, 05:41:33 pm »
Oh who doesn't like hindsight!

So...today it goes back to the shop...worse than it was when they brought it in last Friday AFTER the new t-case was installed (which he feels bad about now but really...what can yo do, I ok'd it...and he's seen it before where they go bad - but look at the pics, it's too stout to go bad with a measly 249 lb ft of torque)...and now when they had it up in the air idling in gear...oh, look, the rear drive shaft is hopping around.  Pull the driveshaft...sure enough, u-joint is half seized up.  So he's pulling it off to see what it drives like as a FWD...and if that's it, (thanks for the link Pjungt) looks like I'll be ordering a new driveshaft.  Can't replace the u-joint...non-servicable.  Ford: $742.  Aftermarket: $1000  ??? :o  PJungt's liink: $317 Cdn. 

Why, oh why in the fack didn't we start there??  ::) Shavings in the case  :P...fack that...it was oil and carbon lube particles...if that's even a thing.  Oh well, here's to 10 more years of Sport-ing a Fusion.  :P Gotta get my money's out of it now.

I hope to heaven they put the right gear oil in it...

Also, anyone ever deal with AutoShack on E-Bay before?  Am I setting myself up for disappointment and cheaply made Chinese knock-off parts (it's half the price after all) or is it a place that can be trusted?

Reman from RockAuto is $384 CDN
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #12025 on: February 24, 2020, 05:43:51 pm »
Oil change on the Acadia yesterday and the filter would not budge. Had to resort to pounding a screwdriver through to get it off. Next time I'm at CT or Princess Auto I will pick up an oil filter wrench.
I have a pair similar to this that work really well if you have the access:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/channellock-oil-filter-pliers-0584509p.html#srp

There's also a larger size, more money of course

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: February 24, 2020, 05:45:03 pm »
^^Similar to what I have.

They sell similar at Princess for $15.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: February 24, 2020, 06:03:07 pm »
I have one like that as well. Never failed me yet.

I also have one like this but it is less useful as it only fits one size and nothing I have now uses that size. https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/ECF7769012

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: February 25, 2020, 09:22:55 am »
While mine's getting finished up, I got to drive this:

TDI...391,000 km.  I jokingly said I could've probably bought your car for what this is going to cost me.  He said: you could've bought 10. I only paid $200 for it.  ;D
Love the torque...kinda peppy...hate the smell.  My garage smells like...like a diesel.  One night.  :P Going to have to leave the doors open later.  But still, perfect size, fun power, even if it's not fast, it's quick enough, and probably super efficient too.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #12029 on: February 25, 2020, 09:24:03 am »
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/channellock-oil-filter-pliers-0584509p.html#srp

Yes, that style would work great for the Acadia!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #12030 on: February 25, 2020, 10:15:15 am »
not me..  my neighbor just picked up Audi RS5.

few years old, but less than 40k on it.  sounded pretty good.   more barky than my merc.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #12031 on: March 03, 2020, 11:37:10 am »

Thanks, I'm getting a set of these, tired of making a total mess every time we change the oil filter on my sons bike and have to use the screwdriver method!

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #12032 on: March 04, 2020, 01:02:27 am »

Thanks, I'm getting a set of these, tired of making a total mess every time we change the oil filter on my sons bike and have to use the screwdriver method!
Princess Auto has this on sale this week:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/oil-filter-wrench-pliers/A-p8883639e

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #12033 on: March 05, 2020, 07:40:51 pm »
My dad takes delivery of a new 2019 MDX A-Spec tomorrow.  I guess I know what I'll be driving in 3-4 years   :rofl:

He got a nice deal, despite him not being much of a negotiator.  His 24-month Ridgeline lease was up in April so he'd been shopping around a bit.  Local Honda dealer impossible to work with (despite him being a model customer).  Wouldn't give any equity on lease buyout towards a new Pilot Touring. 

He went out to test drive the MDX as he'd had two of them in the past.  Found a 2019 still on the lot at $60k, but they were offering $10k off the top right away.  Then they offered $5k of equity by buying out his lease (trade in of $37k, lease buyout of $32k).  Now down to $45k.  He hummed and hawed and they threw in the winter mat package as well as a winter tire/rim package.  So he's picking it up tomorrow.  I think he's writing a cheque for $55k on the road.  Not bad!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #12034 on: March 06, 2020, 10:32:52 am »
My dad takes delivery of a new 2019 MDX A-Spec tomorrow.  I guess I know what I'll be driving in 3-4 years   :rofl:

He got a nice deal, despite him not being much of a negotiator.  His 24-month Ridgeline lease was up in April so he'd been shopping around a bit.  Local Honda dealer impossible to work with (despite him being a model customer).  Wouldn't give any equity on lease buyout towards a new Pilot Touring. 

He went out to test drive the MDX as he'd had two of them in the past.  Found a 2019 still on the lot at $60k, but they were offering $10k off the top right away.  Then they offered $5k of equity by buying out his lease (trade in of $37k, lease buyout of $32k).  Now down to $45k.  He hummed and hawed and they threw in the winter mat package as well as a winter tire/rim package.  So he's picking it up tomorrow.  I think he's writing a cheque for $55k on the road.  Not bad!

Sounds like a pretty fair deal overall.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #12035 on: March 06, 2020, 11:32:42 am »
Gave the IS300 an oil change and scheduled in lots of additional maintenance (summer tires put on, rear axles replaced, brake service, diff, power steering, coolant and brake fluid change). Made appt with Alfa Ottawa for spring inspection for the 155.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12036 on: March 06, 2020, 05:34:53 pm »
Gave the IS300 an oil change and scheduled in lots of additional maintenance (summer tires put on, rear axles replaced, brake service, diff, power steering, coolant and brake fluid change). Made appt with Alfa Ottawa for spring inspection for the 155.
Summer tires in Ottawa in March  ???  : :fall:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12037 on: March 06, 2020, 05:39:26 pm »
Got my bill!!  ;D

:'( :P >:( :banghead: :thumbdown:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12038 on: March 06, 2020, 05:48:59 pm »
Ugh.  A fellow hiker was "diagnosed" with the same thing on her 2008 Escape.  She's pondering whether to cut bait or suck it up.  Truck is truly mint but has almost 200K kms on it.  She wouldn't even get $500 for it on trade, given the repairs needed.  Sucks.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12039 on: March 06, 2020, 05:55:24 pm »
Check the u-joints...might be less than she needs.  Wish I'd thought of that sooner; the $350 repair that could have been.
Or pull the driveshaft and go FWD.  Feels lighter for some reason, but I do miss being able to move from a stop sign...quickly.