Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013918 times)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #11940 on: January 20, 2020, 09:23:30 pm »
So, nothing I've done to my truck, but I came across an interesting website:

http://www.dashboard-light.com/

It measures Long Term Reliability.  Unlike other websites that measure reliability only in the first couple of years of a vehicle's life, Dasboard-Light measures reliability over the life of a vehicle.  Also, they don't take into account any 'small' or minor repairs, but rather focus only on major components like the engine/transmission/drivetrain, that if they fail, will take an older vehicle out of service for good.

Here is the long term reliability data for full-size trucks.  Interesting which one is on top, and by a large margin.  And also, which one is on the bottom (that which has enough data to register, anyway).

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Full-size_Truck.html

Anyway, have a look in the different vehicle segments, and see how your vehicle compares to the competition.

What happened to 2004-2008 F150's?

The awful 5.4 3 valve V8. Had issues from timing chain failure and related components (tensioners etc), cam phaser problems, spark plugs breaking, coil pack failures, cracking exhaust manifolds, injectors sticking open and hydrolocking pistons causing bent rods. They were pretty bad.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11941 on: January 20, 2020, 09:34:16 pm »
^^Literally....there's a guy in Ont. who makes a living removing broken spark plugs from the Ford 5.4

It's all he does.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: January 22, 2020, 09:47:09 pm »
My battery was slow to turn over on my SC the last few days. Put it on the smart charger. No joy.

Then today the car started behaving oddly. It would start "vroom! "...then immediately die. Anybody like it would run out of fuel. WTF?

Went to Costco and bought a new battery. Put it in and all seems well.

We'll see!

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11943 on: January 23, 2020, 06:02:27 pm »
I drove mine to work.  That normally wouldn't be noteworthy but the temperatures have warmed up past zero in southern NB so the roads are a mess.  15 minutes on the highway and I can't even see out the side windows from the dirt and salt residue.  I'll have to hose it off tomorrow.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11944 on: January 23, 2020, 08:09:11 pm »
Bought a drop in K&N air filter, headlight bulbs, and fog light bulbs for the Lexus.

Bought new headlight and fog light bulbs for the Alfa.

Had an Amazon gift card, so I used it. Both cars needed a lighting upgrade anyways.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #11945 on: January 23, 2020, 08:15:50 pm »
I drove mine to work.  That normally wouldn't be noteworthy but the temperatures have warmed up past zero in southern NB so the roads are a mess.  15 minutes on the highway and I can't even see out the side windows from the dirt and salt residue.  I'll have to hose it off tomorrow.

Yeah, even our little traveled deadend street is mostly bare after today. Gotta love a January thaw!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11946 on: January 27, 2020, 12:03:07 pm »
So, my boss's truck died over the weekend.  A 2008 F-150 with the 5.4L V8,  I think it's close to 200 000kms.  He's been having nothing but problems with it, and he thinks it has finally given up the ghost.  For the last few months, the truck has been having some major issues.  It's very hard to start, which is placing wear on the starter and the electrical system.  It runs very rough at idle (pretty sure it's the cam phaser issue), and threatens to stall.  He was on his way to hockey on Saturday, and it finally actually stalled when he came to a stop, and wouldn't restart.  he got it towed to his mechanic.  The mechanic had a cursory look at it on Sunday, and told him it wasn't looking good, but would have a closer look today.  I'm not sure what the actual problem is. 

There is a bunch more that is wrong with the truck, that it may not be worth fixing.  Like I said, the starter is on its way out, and he's pretty sure the Alternator is weak, too.  The spark plugs are due to be changed, and his mechanic tells him if they all come out easily, it will be $700 for all eight.  However, if they start breaking while being removed (a common issue on these trucks), then the bill could run into the thousands. On the inside, 3 of the 4 window switches don't work, the climate controls don't work, and the radio display doesn't work (the radio works, just not the display). 

HIS truck is one of the primary reasons I think a lot of Fords are junk (it's not the only reason, but chief among them).  I think he's finally coming around to switching vehicles.  I'm pointing him towards Tundras.  He's not sure if he wants to go new, or used.  I told him the advantage to going new (and he can afford it, he's just cheap) is that he'll have vehicle payments for a few years, but at least he'll know exactly how the truck was maintained from the get-go, rather than rolling the dice on a used truck that may or may not have a shoddy maintenance history. 

He could get a new Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 with SX package for $49k and change.  It's pretty much a base model truck, but that would suit him just fine.  He's never been big on luxury/technology. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11947 on: January 27, 2020, 12:15:47 pm »
So, my boss's truck died over the weekend.  A 2008 F-150 with the 5.4L V8,  I think it's close to 200 000kms.  He's been having nothing but problems with it, and he thinks it has finally given up the ghost.  For the last few months, the truck has been having some major issues.  It's very hard to start, which is placing wear on the starter and the electrical system.  It runs very rough at idle (pretty sure it's the cam phaser issue), and threatens to stall.  He was on his way to hockey on Saturday, and it finally actually stalled when he came to a stop, and wouldn't restart.  he got it towed to his mechanic.  The mechanic had a cursory look at it on Sunday, and told him it wasn't looking good, but would have a closer look today.  I'm not sure what the actual problem is. 

There is a bunch more that is wrong with the truck, that it may not be worth fixing.  Like I said, the starter is on its way out, and he's pretty sure the Alternator is weak, too.  The spark plugs are due to be changed, and his mechanic tells him if they all come out easily, it will be $700 for all eight.  However, if they start breaking while being removed (a common issue on these trucks), then the bill could run into the thousands. On the inside, 3 of the 4 window switches don't work, the climate controls don't work, and the radio display doesn't work (the radio works, just not the display). 

HIS truck is one of the primary reasons I think a lot of Fords are junk (it's not the only reason, but chief among them).  I think he's finally coming around to switching vehicles.  I'm pointing him towards Tundras.  He's not sure if he wants to go new, or used.  I told him the advantage to going new (and he can afford it, he's just cheap) is that he'll have vehicle payments for a few years, but at least he'll know exactly how the truck was maintained from the get-go, rather than rolling the dice on a used truck that may or may not have a shoddy maintenance history. 

He could get a new Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 with SX package for $49k and change.  It's pretty much a base model truck, but that would suit him just fine.  He's never been big on luxury/technology.

With all the inherent issues built into them, I just don't get why someone would risk a Ford when there are so many other good brands out there. I mean power window switches, whatever, but $800 for spark plugs, if everything goes perfectly, is just ridiculous. Nope, no thank you.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11948 on: January 27, 2020, 12:40:33 pm »

Why post this here ?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: January 27, 2020, 12:41:52 pm »

Why post this here ?

It seemed like the most appropriate thread.   I didn't want to start an entirely new thread in the Buy/Sell, because I"m not entirely certain he'll be buying.  He tends to procrastinate very badly when it comes to changing vehicles.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11950 on: January 27, 2020, 01:00:08 pm »

Why post this here ?

To warn people about the plague that is the F series  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11951 on: January 27, 2020, 01:23:51 pm »
Time for the crusher

If he is super cheap he could spend 10-15,000 and get a decent used Tundra or GM

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: January 27, 2020, 02:09:16 pm »
Time for the crusher

If he is super cheap he could spend 10-15,000 and get a decent used Tundra or GM

That's what he did with his current Ford, and it didn't work too well for him.  Then again, he is cheap, so it may well be what he does again. 

He mentioned he was considering getting it running again, so he could trade in a running vehicle.  The problem with him is that, once it's running, he's never actually going to go trade it in, but will keep driving it until it dies again, then revisit.  That's why I actually think a new Tundra would be perfect for him.  He would have a few years of payments, then he'd have a vehicle that he can drive into the ground over the next 15 years after that. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:21:38 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11953 on: January 27, 2020, 03:22:39 pm »
He just came back from the mechanic.  It's the worst possible news.  That engine will never run again.  So, apparently, if the cam phaser issue isn't addressed, then it wears out the timing chain tensioner.  His timing chain skipped, and being an interference engine, well, a piston hit a valve, and, it's completely seized. 

So, from the sounds of it, he's going to put the truck up for sale as a non-runner, and see what he gets for it. 

Sounds like if he's going to look for an older truck, he'll look for a GM or a Toyota.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: January 27, 2020, 04:45:42 pm »
The drivers side headlight went out on the Golf.  What a PIA. I had to remove 5 torx screws so I could pull back the fender liner to get access to the bulb.

At least it'll be easier next time.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11955 on: January 27, 2020, 04:48:24 pm »
Bought new brakes all around for the SC.  Doesn't need it quite yet...notice a very, very slight shimmy under braking...so it's just a matter of time.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #11956 on: January 27, 2020, 05:16:42 pm »
He just came back from the mechanic.  It's the worst possible news.  That engine will never run again.  So, apparently, if the cam phaser issue isn't addressed, then it wears out the timing chain tensioner.  His timing chain skipped, and being an interference engine, well, a piston hit a valve, and, it's completely seized. 

So, from the sounds of it, he's going to put the truck up for sale as a non-runner, and see what he gets for it. 

Sounds like if he's going to look for an older truck, he'll look for a GM or a Toyota.

Wonder how hard/expensive it is to install a different engine (4.6?) in that generation of F150?
Mr Pickypants

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11957 on: January 27, 2020, 05:49:10 pm »

Wonder how hard/expensive it is to install a different engine (4.6?) in that generation of F150?

His mechanic quoted $12k for another engine, but it's probably just because he didn't want to do it.  Claudio is usually very cheap. 

Anyway, we towed it from Claudio's (the mechanic) a few blocks away back to.the office, where it will stay for a while longer.

He told me.he wants to stay under $20k, and look for either a Tundra or a GM half-ton.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:08:07 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #11958 on: February 02, 2020, 10:26:15 pm »
So this happened...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11959 on: February 02, 2020, 10:57:49 pm »
Got a quick photo of the old DTS yesterday