Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2013 Honda CR-V vs. 2013 Toyota RAV4  (Read 24925 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Comparison Test: 2013 Honda CR-V vs. 2013 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »
From the moment I first saw the unveil of the new Rav4, I didn't like the polarizing style.  It's not as bad as I first thought, but I definitely don't like it.  Styling is subjective though, but I'd rather take something boring than something I hate.  Chalk one up to the CRV.

I think the problem is that these 'utes are sticking to an old category they created almost 15 years ago.  Whereas others are using high tech solutions, the drivetrains in these two are just remaining a boring, 'adequate' constant.  It's not to say they're terrible...just to say that they can do better.  We know they both can.  And as an aside, the Rav4's V6 was amazing, though it did throw off the weight balance big time.

The drivetrains in the '13 Rav4 and CRV are unremarkable in every way.  Same as the Forester's 2.5i, the Equinox's 4-banger, etc.  In comes the Koreans with a 2.4L and a weight loss regimen that actually makes sense.  But to the Japanese - where's the direct injection?  Where's the downsized/turbo combo?  Where are the performance hybrids (hint to possibly upcoming Rav4)?  These two sell only because of their versatility that suburbanites love, but they don't warrant the $30k price tag they come with in current form...that's why I'm happy about the Rav4's pricing (lowered, and better packaging).  Still, I think Honda gets the win because it includes the backup camera and heated seats as standard equipment.

Once you up into the Forester XT, Escape 2.0T, Santa Fe 2.0T, or even the '12 Rav4 V6, the CRV and '13 Rav4 just don't match up.  They'll continue to sell because of brand recognition, but that will fail if they don't keep up (hint hint - Blackberry...).  Can't wait for the CX-5 Diesel.

The days of resting on "Japanese quality" laurels are coming to an end, thankfully...if only that end could come sooner.  Viva la diesels (、マツダに感謝), viva la Koreans for changing the game (감사합니다), and viva la standard backup cameras for preventing the 300 deaths a year (don't any of you dare tell me that preventing ANY of those 300 deaths isn't worth making backup cameras mandatory)!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »
If I had to choose, the CRV ...
In reality something else maybe a Santa Fe once new model kinks are worked out.
...da KINKS.... be right on that...............
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:37:05 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »
Both of these vehicles make a lot of sense practically, but I don't find either of them has enough character to win me over. With the number of great midsize sedans hitting the market this year, I'd have to think long and hard about why I would choose a CR-V over a nimbler, better-driving Accord, and same for the Toyota.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 02:22:07 pm »
I'd have a very hard time walking past a CX-5 or Escape for either of these.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 03:44:45 pm »
I'd have a very hard time walking past a CX-5 or Escape for either of these.

Good point about the CX-5, forgot about that one - a little SUV that actually does have a personality.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 04:03:25 pm »
CX-5 > All.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 04:35:10 pm »
Great review! Of course can't say enough how much its appreciated that you do the 2 car seat test with your wife in the middle. The MIL is thinking about replacing her Sentra within the next year and she wants to go CUV (for the better visibility and AWD mainly). I was actually surprised that your wife could fit in between the 2 car seats in the CRV - I'm wondering would a "normal" sized female fit in there? I'm thinking more along the lines of 5'7" 150lbs.

I think the CRV would be the way I would go as well but based on how anemic the engine seems to be I'd probably look at a Santa Fe Sport AWD for pretty much the same price and get little more space to boot.

The back seat in the CRV is a bench and is not contoured so the carseats can be moved all the way out leaving more room in the middle than any other midsize car I've tried including Avalon, X3, RAV4, Accord, Crosstour. I could fit inbetween with ease, and I am taller than 5'7" and heavier than 150lbs.

Not really sure how that would matter as I would think the LATCH points would be what dictates where the kiddie seats go. Though having a smooth bench would certainly make it easier but you can just use the old roll up a towel trick to even out the seat bottom.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:11 pm »
And the winner is.... Santa Fe or Escape, CX-5 Diesel!!!!!
Bombastic

Northernridge

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »
Very competitive and popular segment...not many (any?) duds either. I like both of these myself.

I would guess this is one of the fastest growing segments.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
I was surprised how much I disliked the CRV. It has a low down forward feeling , and the automatic was jumping between gears in the foothills west of Calgary where I wanted to leave the car on the side of the road and walk. The 4 speed Rav4 was better I hope the new 5 speed is not as bad as the Honda. The difference I found was the CRV car like, Rav4 truck like in road feel. The 6 cylinder Rav4 had more problems and high maintenance cost ,good thing they lost it.

Offline m1xed0s

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 08:12:04 pm »
Why not compare the CRV with forester? ??? ??? ???

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »
Very competitive and popular segment...not many (any?) duds either.

Nissan Rogue, and yes I've driven a few of them.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline blork

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: TL
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »

This feels like the 400th CR-V related review on autos.ca.

Its time for the Blork report: both look ungainly, in terms of exterior design, the RAV4 more so. Both drivetrains are essentially carry-overs, with minimal improvements. The Honda is probably the better car, which is pretty sad considering Toyota had almost 2 model years of the Honda in release to benchmark it.

Wait for the CR-V mid-model revision (2014) in which it will get the Accord ED engine/transmission, which is a substantial upgrade. These mildly revised versions are weak improvement efforts from both manufacturers, and don't deserve your interest or money.

For those that want something in the class more fun to drive, the CX-5 2.5 is a better bet, although you likely won't find reliability as strong or resale, if that matters. The other option is the new Subaru Forester XT, but real-world mileage of a small displacement turbo engine is NEVER even close to the sticker estimate. A car that heavy with a 2 liter engine is always in boost in normal driving.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 10:01:36 pm »
Both of these vehicles make a lot of sense practically, but I don't find either of them has enough character to win me over. With the number of great midsize sedans hitting the market this year, I'd have to think long and hard about why I would choose a CR-V over a nimbler, better-driving Accord, and same for the Toyota.

I agree, I would get a midsize sedan or wagon if I didn't have 18month old, and planning on a 2nd.  Loading a child into baby seat is much easier in a van, SUV, or CUV.  Too much bending with a compact, or mid size sedan, sure it can be done, by why should I get a backache, when there are so many good choices out there. 

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 02:38:01 am »
So happy I got a Rav4 with the V6.  The power is so addictive and the fuel economy is reasonable for that rush you get when you tap your right foot to pass :)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:37 am »

I agree, I would get a midsize sedan or wagon if I didn't have 18month old, and planning on a 2nd.  Loading a child into baby seat is much easier in a van, SUV, or CUV.  Too much bending with a compact, or mid size sedan, sure it can be done, by why should I get a backache, when there are so many good choices out there.

That's exactly where I'm at. As much as I loved driving the S4 last week (and I loved it. Did i mention I drove an S4 last week, and that I loved it?), my back flared up and would explode in pain as I tried to bend and buckle up my daughter in her car seat. i had to tap out and ask my wife to take over.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »
That's exactly where I'm at. As much as I loved driving the S4 last week (and I loved it. Did i mention I drove an S4 last week, and that I loved it?), my back flared up and would explode in pain as I tried to bend and buckle up my daughter in her car seat. i had to tap out and ask my wife to take over.

Funny story - my mother's now taking care of my 2 nephews for the next few months (in lieu of paying for daycare).  She drives the RX400h and my dad takes the Corolla as the commuter...and yet, she's trading cars with my dad and moving the car seats into the Corolla because she's shorter (5'0") and it's less height to lift the wee ones into the car.  Different strokes?  Personally, I'm with you, JY - my back prefers lifting them into the Forester with the wide-opening rear doors.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:01 am »

Funny story - my mother's now taking care of my 2 nephews for the next few months (in lieu of paying for daycare).  She drives the RX400h and my dad takes the Corolla as the commuter...and yet, she's trading cars with my dad and moving the car seats into the Corolla because she's shorter (5'0") and it's less height to lift the wee ones into the car.  Different strokes?  Personally, I'm with you, JY - my back prefers lifting them into the Forester with the wide-opening rear doors.

Yup, that's why my wife, at 5'0", loves the Mazda5. It's her equivalent of SUV height.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 02:27:20 pm »

Yup, that's why my wife, at 5'0", loves the Mazda5. It's her equivalent of SUV height.
The minivan for munchkins.  Presumably the Rondo would suit her too?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »

The minivan for munchkins.  Presumably the Rondo would suit her too?

Probably, but we've never tested it. and we like the sliding doors and second-row captain's chairs and the manual transmission. Orlando is more car-like, height-wise, if i recall, but still a fairly high roof, and that is the other part of child installation that gets you - having to bend under the roof.